Author Topic: Can you offer advice on setting up rigs? And a few other questions...  (Read 4421 times)

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
Hey Guys,

Just got a few quick questions.  I am a bit of a knoob with my current rig as I haven't had it very long, and I've never had any pedals before  :P

Ok, Just quickly my rig is as follows. 

Laney VH100R/Quad
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer (Cheers Johnny :) )
ISP Noise decimator
Couple of different guitars

1) In regards to using my 2 pedals, would I be better off putting them through the input jack, (Like amp > Pedals > Guitar) Or would I be better off putting them through the FX loop?

2) With the FX loop, should the volume be pretty much right up, or does it not matter?  And it should go 'send > TS9 > ISP > Return', right?  I've heard the gate should be last in the chain.

3) I don't want to power the pedals with batteries, and I don't want to use an adaptor for each.  I rang kosmic and they said they had an adaptor for multiple pedals.

So to get this straight - Is it 9V adaptor > Pedal adaptor > Daisy chain cables between pedals?

Since I have no adaptor and don't really fancy spending $50-$75 on a boss one, would I be alright with a Dick Smith/Ebay 9V Adaptor?

Forgive my basic questions, but I know some of you have heaps of guitar/rig/stage experience so I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline Keg

• WF Lieutenant
  • CDT - Bass
    • View Profile
Re: Can you offer advice on setting up rigs? And a few other questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »
as i have found with my gear you will see best results with pedals straight through the input to the amp not thru the fx loop.

as for the power adapters if your only running two pedals just run two separate power supplies cheap enough and the generic 9v supplies should work fine as long as you get the polarity correct ! which for boss pedals i think its pole positive.

i just have a power board with my power supplies taped into the board so all the power is on the one board ready to go :)

ive heard about the daisy chains but had no first hand experience.

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »
Awesome,

Thanks for the reply bass. 

I'm hoping to only have these 2 pedals, but you know how it is with musical gear... It Can quickly become more  ;)  I might still look into one of those adaptors.

Cheers again for your help,

Dan

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
  • Drifting on the echoes of the hours
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
wouldnt it make the most sense to have your Tubescreamer in the input and your noise supressor in the fx loop? so your gaining up before you preamp for more breakup and supressing the extra noise that follows the preamp? no?

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »
Hey Beast,

Sounds good to me  ;D  I don't really know which way to go, but I'll try it out!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
wouldnt it make the most sense to have your Tubescreamer in the input and your noise supressor in the fx loop? so your gaining up before you preamp for more breakup and supressing the extra noise that follows the preamp? no?

This is the best way to set that up.

That said, I'm using one of those Boss daisy chain thingies and I'm using the 4 cable technique.

Amp->BBE Sonic Stomp->Boss TU2->Guitar
Send->CE5->DD3->ISP Decimator->Return

If you want to power your daisy chain, you require a pedal that has 2 9v adaptor jacks. One of the jacks will have to be a parallel input. The few BOSS pedals that allow you to do this is the BOSS TU2, NS2 or LS2. I use the TU2, since I don't require a line selector and I use the ISP decimator as my noise gate. I don't use a roland adaptor either, I bought mine from Megamusic which cost $40 less than the roland one. Works perfectly fine.

Here are some pics to how I set it up.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:44:46 AM by erecshyrinol »

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
Thanks erecshyrinol,

So the best best is ISP in the FX loop, and the TS9 in the input.  Cheers!

I only have these two pedals and to be honest I don't really want/feel I need any more...  Each only has one input from an adaptor.

So does that mean I'll have to get 2 adaptors?  If that's my only choice, apart from using a battery or buying another pedal purely to power the others, then that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the picture as well.

Dan

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:09:56 PM »
Well, I've seen this done before. Gavin, the other guitarist in my band uses this daisy chain set up where the male coupling of the 9V adaptor is sent into the start of a daisy chain which has a female coupling. The rest of the jacks are male though, so it's all good.

Here's such a thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Swamp-Daisy-Chain---Powers-5-Guitar-Pedals-from-1-P%2FS_W0QQitemZ310168255190QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090914?IMSfp=TL090914169001r11963

I know a company called Swamp does them. Check out your local music store I guess.

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
Awesome!

Thanks again mate, I was thinking about popping into my local anyway for a couple of things today!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:56:54 AM »
guitar to Tubescreamer then decimator then straight to input. As for power supplies stay away from switchmode (which is what most places sell now). get your hands on a wound transformer type 9vdc power supply. Switchmode is noisy. I have found a good sammys near me that has a crate full of power supplies for $2 a piece. I just hunt through for the wound transformer ones & get em all.
The wound transformer ones are a lot heavier than the switchmode type.  ;)

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
Dan,
if you want to the noise gate to kill noise from the guitar/TS9 use it in the front input as the last pedal before th amp

however if you want it to kill the hiss from your amp use in the loop...but this depends if the laneys loop is a series or parallel loop
if the amp has a fx mix knob it its most likely a parallel loop...and if you have the mix on full it may not be full series.

if it is a parallel loop you may run into phase issues having noise gate in the loop.

confused even more yet?

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice CD, I'll have a look next time I'm out.

Johnny...  I am even more confused now...  aaaargh!

Well, I just want the TS9 to boost the signal, and the ISP to kill feedback and generally keep the amp quiet.  Better through the input then?

Have no idea what loop it runs though.

Thanks anyways :)

Dan

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
and the ISP to kill feedback and generally keep the amp quiet.  Better through the input then?

if you want to keep the amp quiet your better off running the noise suppressor through the loop. As in removing noise after the preamp.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:49:37 AM »

Johnny...  I am even more confused now...  aaaargh!

RE the loop...

the noise gate will work if your fx loop is a series loop

if it is a parallel loop the there will be 2 signals will running in parallel (duh) so the noise gate will only kill the part of the signal going through the loop...
amps with parallel loops normally have fx mix knob on the amp. and if you try running it on full, depending on the amp...this may/may not be 100% series.

RE phase issues...this is due to the 2 signals running in parallel...its not that noticable with a device in the loop (noise gate or soemthing like delay) is engaged...but when the device is turned off... you still have 2 signals running in parallel causing some phase cancellation, which is most often mistaken for the fx loop sucking tone.
this is why some pedals/rack devices have a function called "kill dry" its a god send for those with parallel loops.

ill leave it at that...its up to you to read up on your amps specs and experiment with the placement order.

personally i dont even bother with gates anymore...i can see how its essential to some amps and the way some settings are dialled in...but i really hate the way some people purely rely on their noise gates for that start/stop "tightness"...fake!!!

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:33 AM »

the way you worded that...on first glance i got really confused and thought you had a "left footed" board there for a momment.

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
im pretty sure all Laneys are full series with the mix set to 100%
my GH100L is

Offline Solitis

• WF Corporal
  • Lying forgotten in the desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »

That said, I'm using one of those Boss daisy chain thingies and I'm using the 4 cable technique.

Hey what's the sonic stomp like?

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
I'm almost left footed, in the sense I activate my pedals with my left foot instead of my right. I don't have a wah or a whammy, but I probably would use my right foot to use them if I ever do own either.

Regarding the sonic stomp, it seems to be a pedal I can't do without for some reason. After using a bandmate's for a while, I decided to purchase one myself and I haven't looked back. You don't realise how much it cleans up the harsh frequencies in your tone until you actually switch it off after having it on forever.

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
and the ISP to kill feedback and generally keep the amp quiet.  Better through the input then?

if you want to keep the amp quiet your better off running the noise suppressor through the loop. As in removing noise after the preamp.

yeah but for live situations its always unwanted guitar feedback that makes rigs noisy during songs, not amp hissing. Noise supressors are much better right up the front of the rig so the attack on the gate is nice and defined and it removes unwanted feedback from hi-gain situations when your parts have pauses. Then i just switch it off for clean/lo-gain stuff.

if you just want it to remove hiss you will only notice it working when the whole band stops playing.