Author Topic: Uni Dropouts  (Read 18841 times)

Offline Stu

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Uni Dropouts
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »
I know someone who did a degree with some fancy name at curtin which was really a course in jewellery making.
I never knew stuff like jewellery making was offered at uni.
Now she works as a sales assistant getting paid fuck all for a jeweller. ???

coming from curtin, im not suprised. from what ive heard, anything artistic from curtin is shit
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:17:24 AM by sturtus »
Now in the hall of the Necro Lord,
Flash of fear when i draw my sword,
I raped his woman! Smoked his bone!
Left a booger underneath the throne!

Offline Black Label

• WF Lieutenant
  • Right Next Door To Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2006, 11:21:09 AM »
Well, also I would imagine that something like jewellery making would be very hands on, which frankly, is not a forte of any university!  ::)

Offline 3 Degrees of Separation

• WF Corporal
  • Taries
    • View Profile
    • 3 Degrees of Separation
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2006, 11:55:31 PM »
I’ve just done 8 units of the Bach of Social Work Degree, at Edith Cowan in Bunbury, and honestly stuff uni for a joke it destroys your life!! like no shit talk about high society, I think its bloody hard for someone that has gone to uni to maintain an intellectual conversation with any normal people, and to find someone that can analyze a particular object or action relatively close to yourself is near on impossible unless they have experienced the same type of education. Meanwhile my god I also died of shock at all the f*%#’n bitchen and shit, like 4 christ sake I thought that ended in yr 12 or something. While we also had to PAY FOR PARKING!!! Well your meant to :), but like get a grip its Bunbury not Perth, and its private property that doing sfa otherwise.

Trish

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2006, 12:09:06 AM »
So you're saying that anyone that has gone to uni has a higher intellect than someone that hasnt, and the person that hasnt gone to uni wont be able to keep up in conversation/understand what they are saying because the uni student is so far superior? Or did I read that wrong...because if you are saying that, read your post again, and tell me that its highly intellectual, with good grammar and proper english.  :P
By the way, Bunbury is a fucked up town. I left there a few months ago, and never plan on going back. It just has bad vibes and Im never happy in that place. I dont know what it is; I just hate the place.
Mongeese like results

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2006, 02:03:50 AM »
"We use the word 'intelligence' to refer to a variety of human capabilities of which WE approve. There is no such thing as 'intelligence'. It is just a word, not a thing, and a word of a very high order of abstraction"

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2006, 02:20:02 AM »
woah, woah woah!
Slow it down a bit so us norms can keep up would ya?! ;)
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2006, 02:29:58 AM »
So you're saying that anyone that has gone to uni has a higher intellect than someone that hasnt, and the person that hasnt gone to uni wont be able to keep up in conversation/understand what they are saying because the uni student is so far superior? Or did I read that wrong...because if you are saying that, read your post again, and tell me that its highly intellectual, with good grammar and proper english.  :P
By the way, Bunbury is a fucked up town. I left there a few months ago, and never plan on going back. It just has bad vibes and Im never happy in that place. I dont know what it is; I just hate the place.
You obviously just aren't smart enough to understand, man.
 ;D

Offline Kalika

• WF Colonel
  • And Enjoy the Suffering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2006, 02:42:34 AM »
I’ve just done 8 units of the Bach of Social Work Degree, at Edith Cowan in Bunbury, and honestly stuff uni for a joke it destroys your life!! like no shit talk about high society, I think its bloody hard for someone that has gone to uni to maintain an intellectual conversation with any normal people, and to find someone that can analyze a particular object or action relatively close to yourself is near on impossible unless they have experienced the same type of education. Meanwhile my god I also died of shock at all the f*%#’n bitchen and shit, like 4 christ sake I thought that ended in yr 12 or something. While we also had to PAY FOR PARKING!!! Well your meant to :), but like get a grip its Bunbury not Perth, and its private property that doing sfa otherwise.

Trish

I disagree with most of what you have said there.
A) It didn't destroy my life. Yes, it took up a whole lot of time, but I met some of the best friends I'll ever have at uni.
B) I have had some of the most intelligent conversations with friends who do not go to uni, and I know some absolute retards who can't even have a simple conversation who have gone to uni. (Bloody Engineers  ;D)
C) Pay for parking? So? It's what I had to do the whole time at UWA and Notre Dame.
D) Bitching? Honey, that'll happen no matter who you are, where you go, what you do. Suck it up, deal with it.
E) Lastly, here is the bitchiest thing I am going to say: Sweetheart, you are doing a fucking social work degree. Get over yourself.

**Disclaimer: Had a bad day, this post pissed me off. Is bearing the brunt of my bad mood.
BWB #9

If I Can Merge The Mundane And the Magic -- We'd Forge a New Unknown...

ThroughTheAshes

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2006, 02:55:49 AM »
^ Agree for most the part. Especially in regards to B.

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 03:42:29 AM »
I don't speak to anyone at uni because they are all fucktards :D

Offline jarrydn

• WF Colonel
  • THESE kind of skills?
    • View Profile
    • Arterial Hemorrhage
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2006, 05:12:14 AM »
E) Lastly, here is the bitchiest thing I am going to say: Sweetheart, you are doing a fucking social work degree. Get over yourself.

Best. I also like the use of sweetheart and honey :)

Anyway, in the whole scheme of things, life is what you make it. It can be easy or hard, it just depends on how you handle the options presented to you.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2006, 05:19:15 AM »
B) I have had some of the most intelligent conversations with friends who do not go to uni, and I know some absolute retards who can't even have a simple conversation who have gone to uni. (Bloody Engineers  ;D)
I shan't hear a bad word about engineers.. everyone smite her!
 ;D

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2006, 07:58:11 AM »
fuckin gingerbeers.
curse them all

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
I don't speak to anyone at uni because they are all fucktards :D

Yeah..sure..thats the reason ;)
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

hellmos

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
I think its bloody hard for someone that has gone to uni to maintain an intellectual conversation with any normal people, and to find someone that can analyze a particular object or action relatively close to yourself is near on impossible unless they have experienced the same type of education.

maybe you have met the wrong people! :-\ i can honestly say that those who i have had the best talks with, and are some of the smartest people i know never went to uni or even did well at school! i should introduce you to my mate rob, he will show you that you dont need a uni degree to have an intellectual conversation!

B) I have had some of the most intelligent conversations with friends who do not go to uni, and I know some absolute retards who can't even have a simple conversation who have gone to uni. (Bloody Engineers  )

polly, if thats a reference to chris then come on, he cant have a decent comment with anyone unless its about his sexual escapades or on something which he doesnt know everything......wait but he knows everything doesnt he! ::) ;D

and yeah dont knock us engineers, we deserve our respect! :P

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »
and yeah dont knock us engineers, we deserve our respect! :P

You can have your own respect, but you aint getting MINE!! MWAHAHAHA.

Bad typo dude, you left it wide open.....but you're good at leaving things wide open  :-X
Mongeese like results

hellmos

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »
but i have to haydz, without it you wouldnt have any idea on where to put it! :P

• WF Corporal
  • Taries
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2006, 07:28:48 AM »
True, ah what can i say its australia :) Ive been thinking of going back and completing the music degree or maybe forensics psychologist... then again, after all said and done theres usually more said then done :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:51:03 AM by 3 Degrees of Separation »

Offline 29A

• WF Lieutenant
  • Audaces fortuna iuvat.
    • View Profile
    • <Pyrosyte v3.99>
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »
Want fun times? Play 'Pictionary' with an engineer.

Word: Ramp
Me: Draws right angled triangle with a neat little car flying off the top.
Engineer: "Gradient! Inclination! Slope! Ascent!...."

With regards to art degrees being worthless; I'd say its mainly fine arts ;)
My bachelor of Arts (Design) has been reasonably lucrative and useful, despite my decision to continue study.

hellmos

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2006, 09:08:03 PM »
Want fun times? Play 'Pictionary' with an engineer.

Word: Ramp
Me: Draws right angled triangle with a neat little car flying off the top.
Engineer: "Gradient! Inclination! Slope! Ascent!...."

really? i would have said 'hehe that guy forgot to stop!' but hey im not a civil engineer, im a stoned hippy engineer! :D

Offline Wolfram

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2006, 10:06:31 PM »
As for people calling Arts degrees "wanky" or other such nonsense, it depends on your attitude.  Quite a few people are absolute cockbites when it comes to their arts degrees, but others actually do the work, and plan on using it for a purpose.  I'm doing an Arts degree at the moment, double majoring in English Literature and Philosophy, and afterwards I'll be completing a dip-ed, so I'll have, in effect, two qualifications.  If this helps me get a job in Iceland, where I'd like to live some of my years, I'm all the happier for it.  It will also land me a job in teaching, where I'll be a male english teacher, with good employment prospects and I'll also be a qualified philosophy teacher (philosophy is being introduced as a subject from years 1 to 12 in the new education system btw)

Like with most degrees, if you've got direction you'll get there.  If you are doing it just to do it, the chances are you'll pull out/get bored.  The same goes for trades.
I for an I you lazy fatalists
---------------------------
Know that the music industry's ill,
and we're the fucking antidote.
One line and you're outta control,
yeah you fucking suck!  Hey!

• WF Corporal
  • Taries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2006, 03:32:50 AM »
Wolfram - true, but like what happens if youve completed the things you are interested in and still become unstatified within your career path? Like ive done Retail, Child Care, Youth Work, Social Work and still have no idea. Hense the forensic investagation/ psychologist...  I dont know I once come across this reading that basically points out that 'nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal but nothing on earth can help with man with the wrong mental attitude'. Like if you are in a positive enviroment and mental state anythink is possible. For example my family enviroment lacks understanding for the university lifestyle, insisting i over 'psych-anaylsis' everything and think to much, and also my friends found me rather um, annoying to say the least, i personally found it difficult to switch off from my textbook theory and logic, onto a rational level of conversation. I like to think thats its because of my passionate nature :).

Offline Gringo

• WF Colonel
  • Bear it a little longer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2006, 04:39:11 AM »
I think you're just annoying.

Offline black_maiden

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2006, 04:53:10 AM »
fuk i recon,  wats with the dam lectures its not like where at uni now  :-X

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2006, 05:53:35 AM »
i no wat u meen...i cunt understand wot they is sayin.