Author Topic: Uni Dropouts  (Read 18743 times)

Offline TheShape

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Uni Dropouts
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »
Its probably worth learning a trade over doing a wanky uni degree, you definetly get a job and make way more money.

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »
I will save Chewie from saying it..

GET A TRADE!!

CUNT! all you fuckers stop stealing my lines.

i almost quit my apprenticeship halfway through. was sick of it and wanted to make some real money. got sacked anyway but picked it up again before 6 months and am now on the brink of being cunting rich....or failing badly.

Offline seasonsintheabyss

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 01:36:47 PM »
Its probably worth learning a trade over doing a wanky uni degree, you definetly get a job and make way more money.

depends on whether you wanna do what you wanna do and follow your dream,or do it the easy(?) way and become a tradie(unless your dream was being a plumber)
no stairway? denied!!

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »

CUNT! all you fuckers stop stealing my lines.

i almost quit my apprenticeship halfway through. was sick of it and wanted to make some real money. got sacked anyway but picked it up again before 6 months and am now on the brink of being cunting rich....or failing badly.

yea i just left my apprenticeship to get into another side of electrics an am now workin as a ta an im cleanin up, we will be goin up bush soon so im gonna be the richest young cunt i know
SEVER THE SPINE, CUT OFF HIS HEAD, BRING ME HIS SOUL, AND LEAVE HIM FOR DEAD

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
being a trade aint the easy way out :-/
we have to work our arses off if we wanna earn good money

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 02:02:10 PM »

depends on whether you wanna do what you wanna do and follow your dream,or do it the easy(?) way and become a tradie(unless your dream was being a plumber)

Or if for example, you wanted to be an engineer...you get a sparky apprenticeshi, land a job with Rio, they pay for your Uni, you become an Engineer contracting back to Rio for like $7K a week..:lol:

I wanted to go to uni, got a job with Rio, and soon, I will go to uni part time, and they will pay for it, as long as the course I do benifits my role and/or the company
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline jarrydn

• WF Colonel
  • THESE kind of skills?
    • View Profile
    • Arterial Hemorrhage
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 02:03:03 PM »
being a trade aint the easy way out :-/
we have to work our arses off if we wanna earn good money

And Uni students have to work their arses off to get no money ;)

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 02:06:50 PM »

And Uni students have to work their arses off to get no money ;)

yea but theres a difference with studying hard for a test...an diggin trenches in 30 degree heat
but yea i get what ur sayin

Offline jarrydn

• WF Colonel
  • THESE kind of skills?
    • View Profile
    • Arterial Hemorrhage
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »

yea but theres a difference with studying hard for a test...an diggin trenches in 30 degree heat
but yea i get what ur sayin

Lol, it's not studying for 'a' test. It's (or is supposed to be) more like constant revision throughout the entire semester. When you get home from work you get to sit down and relax. When you get home from uni you get to revise, complete coursework, do assignments etc.

And if you're working a part time job, multiply suckage by 1000.

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »
yea but im workin 11 hour days.. how long are u at uni a day??

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2006, 02:36:47 PM »
their at uni for a fixed timeperiod but should study in their own time
trade aint the easy way. uni aint the easy way. they both will reward your efforts

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »
their at uni for a fixed timeperiod but should study in their own time
trade aint the easy way. uni aint the easy way. they both will reward your efforts

as true as its gonna get

Offline seasonsintheabyss

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2006, 02:42:58 PM »
uni is the learning part.we havent even got into the actual work part.whos to say the resulting career wont require you to work 11 hour days?
no stairway? denied!!

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2006, 02:48:29 PM »
thats true
also trade is a theory & practical thing. u learn stuff at tafe that you may never use in the field but if you enter that field you will need it. thesse can be expanded on in other courses at tafe and uni. i know several sparkies that went to uni first then became electricians. and vice versa.

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
ps any career thatrequiresyou to work 11 hours a day better be worth it $$$ wise. usually u work long hours at shit jobs for good money as a means to an end.
ive got a mate whos 30 and plans that as soon as he's paid his house off (5 years or so) he'll go down to part time work and live as he wishes

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2006, 02:57:10 PM »
im not permenatley workin 11 hours but at this point i am
when were not on a deadline we only work bout 9 hours...unless were in the bush

Samoth

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
After recently deciding to drop out of uni for the 3rd time (second course), I was curious as to how many of you have dropped out and how many attempts at uni it took to figure out what you actually wanted to do? Or am I the only one that can't get his shit together?

Nah Simon, me too man. I dropped out of WAAPA doing the Bachelor of Performing Arts (Classical) course, fucking hated the place, the lecturers and the people. Now I'm worked as a fulltime daytimer at maccas jolimont with nick and ally.[smiley=cwm29.gif]

I'm going to uni next year for the second time, this time to get a degree in English so I can become a high school english teacher.  ;D

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
theres this guy i work with (actually i tihnk he just got fired for drinking on the job) but he is doing a course at uni on geophyics, hes doing his masters this year, he works in woolies about 20-30 hours a week, he has a job at a mining company, he does SES (though i ithink hes put it on hold this year) he has a girlfriend who is going to have his first baby, and ontop of this he still manages to find time to have a social life and never seems stressed or anything

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »
I am pretty much right on the edge now of either putting my head down and finishing my degree, changing course or deferring. Not sure what I'll do yet.

ThroughTheAshes

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »
Listen to some emo and watch the footy?

Offline Kalika

• WF Colonel
  • And Enjoy the Suffering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2006, 04:29:38 AM »

There are just so many things wrong with that statement.

1. "Wanky uni degree"? We work our ARSES off to get those degrees. Long nights doing assignments, not going out on weekends because of study for exams, assignments, study for tests. Spending hour upon hour in the library researching and reading.

2. "You definitely get a job." I am guaranteed a job at the end of my degree. In fact, since I am a maths and science teacher, I can choose which job I want because there is such a shortage of teachers for those subjects. Ok, some people may not get a job in their field right off the bat, but having done a degree, they have proven that they can work hard and get the job done, and are dedicated, hence even if they go for a job nothing to do with that degree, the employer is likely to hire them over someone straight out of school.

3. "Make way more money." Talk to my friends who have finished chemistry who have gone straight into jobs earning $70k - $80k, which will rise very quickly to over $100k in the next 5 - 10 years.

Before everyone who is a tradie jumps on this and attempts to kill me; this is not an attack on tradies, this is an attack on the ignorance of someone who doesn't know a thing about university life/the doors a university degree can open up for you.

Ultimately, people should do what makes sense to them: not what their friends say, teachers say, parents say etc. Just don't become a dole-bludger cause I am not fucking paying your wage with my tax, just so you can sit around watching big brother.

People who say they can't get a job just haven't bloody tried.
BWB #9

If I Can Merge The Mundane And the Magic -- We'd Forge a New Unknown...

Offline memoriesofnam

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.brendan-ninness.com
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2006, 04:55:41 AM »
Well said :)

Samoth

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2006, 06:00:55 AM »
Nice one Kalika.  ;D

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »
took the words right outta my mouth Kalika :)
im at the pointy end of my 3 year BSc Metallurgy degree, and its been a bloody long 3 years. lots of math, chemistry, physics and everything inbetween (economics, electrical engineering, materials, hydrometallurgy etc etc). and as most people know from my ranting on this board last year, was that i had to live in kalgoorlie for the 3rd year of my degree. now i know alot of people would be ok with that, but thats definitely not me haha, missed more gigs, birthdays and general fun than ever before. not to mention that there were no decent women hehehe...
but the point is! I worked my arse off for 3 years and now ive got a job (not even my real qualified metallurgy job) that has a great roster/camp/plant/bunch of people and the money aint bad either :P.
but my brother scott is just about finishing his appreniship aswell, so we'll both be in the same boat, just from different routes.

oh and to answer the initial topic, nope never dropped out :)
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

ThroughTheAshes

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2006, 08:21:04 AM »
I'm sure all the people who do your taxes, defend you in court, diagnoses your illnesses, and deal out your medication would have something to say about their degrees being wanky... and their incomes would have something to say about it too.

If you think standing around in the sun doing physical work, getting skin cancer is better than a job in an air conditioned office, you're crazy.