Author Topic: Uni Dropouts  (Read 18751 times)

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Uni Dropouts
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »
Depends what u are doing standing around in the sun getting skin cancer as opposed to what you are doing sitting in an airconditioned office.

Offline Deceminate

• WF Major
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
    • fuck me
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
yea it all boils down to what u like
hell i dont enjoy being out in the sun every day but its involved in the line of work i like
SEVER THE SPINE, CUT OFF HIS HEAD, BRING ME HIS SOUL, AND LEAVE HIM FOR DEAD

Offline TheShape

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »
hmm....i must explain what i meant.

Im currently doing 4th year pharmacy and it involves way more work than most degrees (so i fucken know what it involves).
By "wanky" degrees, i mean arts etc (not law, med, engineering etc), my brothers doing one, he does no work and gets D's. I know so many people who are doing these random degrees and then changing and never going anywhere. All i was saying is that theres nothing wrong with learning a trade and there is a lot of work out there and a worthwhile option for many people.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:58:53 AM by TheShape »

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2006, 12:27:57 PM »
my job qualified is indoors, outdoors and in labs. perfect ;D
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline chewie

• WF Colonel
  • CHEWIE TIRED
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 01:48:25 PM »
if your working outdoor wear a cunting hat and sunscrean.
and i'll be on the $200k mark in the next couple
effort in effort out

Offline Jesters Dance

• WF Major
  • Autobots....TRANSFORM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
yeah did a science degree at curtin. did 3 years of it - decided i didnt like it and switched over to civil/structual enginereing at UWA (but being someon who doesnt like to leave things unfinished i continued the curting science degree part time too).
Kalika & Teeman (thanks for the Opeth tix) - I completely feel your pain. Uni was no easy slog. In our degree (especially in final year when were doing our thesis) were at uni 9 - 5 every day, then have to go home and do assignments for about 5 hours...THEN try to study too AND do thesis. In my final year id usually go to bed around 2am and get up at 6am to go to teh gym before classes (the only spare tiem id have to do any physical activity). and forget about a job - no time.
now... really great job doing structural design on the city. great job, (like playing with lego in real life) awsome money and i dont have to stand in the sun all day digging trenches!
But respect to the tradies who DO do it, its somethign i could never ever do. And each to his own - my cousin is an industrial plumber and will probbaly do better then i ever will.
Im just backing up the previous statement that uni is no easy life!

although - id like to think at some stage i can go back and do a completely self indugent arts degree in histroy (i LOVE european history) and language/culture.
looked inside insanity
it always burns within
the downward spiral never ends
when driven into sin

Offline Kalika

• WF Colonel
  • And Enjoy the Suffering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:06 AM »
The truest thing I have ever seen: On the toilet roll dispenser in the arts block @ UWA toilets: For arts degree, Tear here.  ;D
BWB #9

If I Can Merge The Mundane And the Magic -- We'd Forge a New Unknown...

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 03:29:11 AM »
I'm sure all the people who do your taxes, defend you in court, diagnoses your illnesses, and deal out your medication would have something to say about their degrees being wanky... and their incomes would have something to say about it too.

If you think standing around in the sun doing physical work, getting skin cancer is better than a job in an air conditioned office, you're crazy.

Hey, I sit in an air-conditioned office (with ocean views none-the-less), and I dropped out of school mid-year 11! Never went to TAFE or anything.....just learnt on the job as a young 17yo trainee. I've now been doing it for over 7 years and am moving up as we speak. Soon I'll be sitting in an airconditioned Hilux with a company phone organizing/supervising tradies (cause we all know they need all the supervision they can get ;) ).
I earn enough money to own a $320,000 house, 2 cars, 2 kids, a dog and a stay-at-home wife. Dont tell me you need to do an apprenticeship or go to Uni/TAFE to get somewhere in life. Im living proof you dont....
Mongeese like results

ThroughTheAshes

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 04:01:28 AM »
Yeh I don't doubt that at all, my comment was referring to the people saying that trades are so good.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 04:06:42 AM »
Yeh I don't doubt that at all, my comment was referring to the people saying that trades are so good.

And my comment wasnt aimed directly at you, although reading back over it, it probably seemed that way. I just used your post to make my point.
Whatever you do, so long as you enjoy it enough to not wake up in the morning and say "Fuck, I gotta go to work" and seriously despise it, so long as it pays enough money for you to live comfortably, and its a career more so than just a fill in job, then however you get there is good enough. Whether it be uni, TAFE, apprenticeship or on the job (like me). Just dont bludge off us tax payers....
Mongeese like results

Offline memoriesofnam

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.brendan-ninness.com
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 04:33:54 AM »
I'm not going to get all defensive over me doing an arts degree (Design), but I'll say that theres a lot more to our course than just drawing pictures which it may seem :P. It covers a lot about environmental issues and designing with the future + environment in mind. As for the workload I seem to be spending a lot more time at home on assignments than both my housemates doing science degrees. Though - I don't have exams, but a shitload of assignments instead.

Ok so maybe a little defensive :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:35:49 AM by asesino »

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2006, 07:35:15 AM »
im doing a commerce degree, i have 12contact hours..its nice and easy :) i dont do much work and just cram before exams which can get pretty stressful. Unfortunatly i dont learn anything...but i didnt think that was the point of uni? :D
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2006, 09:06:15 AM »
It covers a lot about environmental issues and designing with the future + environment in mind

thats the sort of pure filth im learning in my final unit currently at uni *spits* haha
how does it relates to a Metallurgy degree is really beyond me. i guess its one of those units where you need to learn some about it so when other people in the profession talk about it, youve got some understanding? ??? im pretty sure its someone elses job haha
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

hellmos

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2006, 07:14:03 AM »
im pretty sure its someone elses job haha

yeah its mine! ;D

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »
Am I the only one, that Didnt do a trade, or go to Uni, but yet, landed a sweet Office job... lol
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
Am I the only one, that Didnt do a trade, or go to Uni, but yet, landed a sweet Office job... lol

if you read my post up there somewhere ^^ you'll notice that no, you arent the only one....but we seem to be a rare breed these days.
Mongeese like results

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »

if you read my post up there somewhere ^^ you'll notice that no, you arent the only one....but we seem to be a rare breed these days.

I see your post now...I missed the bottomb half of page four.. lol

But yeah, we are a rare breed...but as you said, we are living proof that you sometimes dont need all that other crap. If I keep going the way I am, I will probally be my team leader in a year :D

ThroughTheAshes

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2006, 07:59:13 AM »
Tim: "Team Leader don't mean anything mate"
Gareth: "Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team"
Tim: "No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it"
Gareth: "Er I think they do"
Tim: "No they don't Gareth"
Gareth: "Er yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm."

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
Hahaha
;D

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2006, 09:21:31 AM »
Its ok, because with the added role of Team leader, comes the added Pay and bonuses ;)

Hell, I wouldnt take on more work for free...I'm not that stupid :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:21:56 AM by damoesp »

Offline black_maiden

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
i am on my third attempt of business statistics, i just need to pass it to pass my diploma its so fukin hard !!!

Offline Stu

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2006, 07:19:15 PM »
i only finished yr 12 to get my certificate of education. once id done that, i went straight onto tafe to make jewellery. 2nd year in and things are all good. once i get my workshop set up at home, it wont be too hard to be making $50+ per piece (depending on materials, stones time at bench and all that)

should i choose to move up to more high end stuff, i can look at $5000+ per piece
Now in the hall of the Necro Lord,
Flash of fear when i draw my sword,
I raped his woman! Smoked his bone!
Left a booger underneath the throne!

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2006, 05:08:55 AM »
Jewellery, thats something different.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2006, 06:48:34 AM »
I know someone who did a degree with some fancy name at curtin which was really a course in jewellery making.
I never knew stuff like jewellery making was offered at uni.
Now she works as a sales assistant getting paid fuck all for a jeweller. ???

Offline Noodle

• WF Lieutenant
  • Down On The Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2006, 06:49:12 AM »
I don't really like Sitting on a Tractor or a Header?, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and for a combined time of about 6 months (3 mths Seeding/2-3 months Harvesting)...The rest of the year gets spent doing stuff like fencing and other repairs......And waiting for rain. ;)

It's good life, I get alot of free time and I'm not sorry that I didn't go to uni