Author Topic: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.  (Read 35871 times)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 01:03:39 AM »
It didn't even taste like beer. Tasted more like steaming shit.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2007, 02:32:20 AM »
Ive seen it in a couple of stores. It is by far their weakest beer.

Their ales aren't too bad...
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
Coopers Pale Ale is one of the greatest beers this country produces.
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »
Sparkling is very good.
Extra Stout is tremendous
Vintage is unbelievable.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »

I concur. I've been ripping through that stuff recently. It's also very nicely priced, at $4ish a longneck. ;D

I also tend to prefer the Pale over the Sparkling. Each to his/her own.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:49 PM »

I concur. I've been ripping through that stuff recently. It's also very nicely priced, at $4ish a longneck. ;D

I also tend to prefer the Pale over the Sparkling. Each to his/her own.

yeah i prefer the pale over the sparkling for sure. The only reason im doing the lager atm is because i only just bought my kit and thats what came in it.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:45 AM »
Next up after I bottle my Canadian Blonde, I've decided to step my way up the rungs a bit and go for something slightly more adventurous. Got myself a Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza, a bag of West Brew Brew Booster #15 (which has light malt in it as well) and decided I'd buy a different yeast, just to see how it goes. I got a Saflager W-34/70 - whatever the fuck that is. The brew can told me to get it for a "crisper, drier flavour". So I did.

Be warned, Saflager W-34/70 is a lager yeast, and you'll need to keep this one cold (about 13 degrees) while fermenting. You'll also need to condition the beer after bottling by leaving it in the fridge for about a month, otherwise you'll just be drinking fart.

Fucking got sidetracked again, I will post the rest of the recipe soon.

Also, I made a mashtun yesterday, so I will be able to do mostly grain beers (or small all grain batches). Going to give a Bohemian Pilsener a shot, picked up half a kilo of Saaz hops and a nice liquid lager yeast, should be tasty.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2007, 05:22:58 AM »
Also, I reckon coopers sparkling is pretty average. Too much Pride of Ringwood hops, has that shitty macrobrewery after taste. The stout is pretty good, but the vintage is real nice.

ESB RECIPE FINISHED
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:26:03 AM by Inge »

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »
So Inge, by saying I'll need to condition in a fridge for a month, is that straight after I bottle, or do the normal 3 week conditioning at normal room temp, then into the fridge for a further month? And 13°? I better unwrap the blankets from around it (which just keeps it at a nice 18° on average). I put the vat on Saturday, and it was 26° when I pitched the yeast, then after about 6 hours I put it in the shed where it should drop to 18° fairly quickly (with blankets).
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
For something different.

Anyone ever tried Black and Tan ?

Mix a Cooper's Pale Ale with a Stout in a glass. Very nice.

Bottled the Edme Strong Ale the other day, very very dark and strong-looking (as well it should).

Going to brew that Wheat Beer soon. I dont really go for the pre-packaged yeast, but this pack actually comes with Safale k-87 yeast, which is pretty good.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »
Yeah man, Black n Tan is great! Portergaffs arent too bad either, if you dont feel like being bloated.

Oh, my Ginger Beers passed the test. My mate came up for the weekend and he had a bottle of Bundy....so we were making Dark & Stormys with my 3.5% alc/vol Ginger beer. Fucking madness - but damn tasty!
Mongeese like results

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »
So Inge, by saying I'll need to condition in a fridge for a month, is that straight after I bottle, or do the normal 3 week conditioning at normal room temp, then into the fridge for a further month? And 13°? I better unwrap the blankets from around it (which just keeps it at a nice 18° on average). I put the vat on Saturday, and it was 26° when I pitched the yeast, then after about 6 hours I put it in the shed where it should drop to 18° fairly quickly (with blankets).

You should be fine. First things first, get the temperature down to at least 15. Are you fermenting outside in the shed or something? If so, just wrap wet towels around the fermenter and leave it to chill in the night air. Your in Gero, so you shouldn't have any problems with the temperature at this time of year, especially once you factor in wind chill. Just be sure to keep these towels wet :P

Once fermentation is almost finished, let the temperature rise to 18. This is called a diacetyl rest, and lets the yeast chew up buttery flavours which are bad in a lager. Overall, leave it in the fermenter for about two weeks. The night before you bottle, chill the fermenter down to fridge temperatures using bags of ice overnight, or by leaving it in the fridge. This will cause the yeast to all drop out of suspension and settle at the bottom, and hopefully clear up the beer. This isn't necessary, but it will really help avoid mass amounts of yeast in the bottles and off flavours they may give off.

The beer may smell like sulphur at this point, this is normal.

Bottle them and stash the bottles somewhere cold for 4-6 weeks. Because the yeast works at low temperatures, they should still carb up fine, albeit slowly. You want to store the beer in the cold until all traces of the sulphur smell is gone. Crack one at 4 weeks, and sample it. If there is even a slight hint of sulphur, leave it for another fortnight, and try again.

Congrats on the ginger! I fucking love dark and stormy; ginger beer + Bundy = awesome.

Alcoholic homebrew ginger + Bundaberg OP = fucking carnage.

Anyway, schedule to follow is:

Fermentation: 11-12 days fermenting at 13-15 degrees.

Diacetyl rest: 24-48 hours 18 degrees.

Crash chill to 4-5 degrees overnight.

Bottle with normal amount of sugar / drops.

Leave at 4 degrees for 4-6 weeks.

Lagers are a bit more complicated than ales. I haven't really even bothered with them until now haha.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
hang on, let me get this straight. So because I used this Saflager yeast, that automatically makes this beer Im brewing a Lager, regardless of the brew can I used? Am I correct? Is it accurate to say the difference between Ale and Lager is all in the yeast? I know its the brewing process that determines which one it is, but is the brewing process determined by the yeast? And yes, it does smell a bit like arse so far.
Mongeese like results

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »
hang on, let me get this straight. So because I used this Saflager yeast, that automatically makes this beer Im brewing a Lager, regardless of the brew can I used? Am I correct? Is it accurate to say the difference between Ale and Lager is all in the yeast? I know its the brewing process that determines which one it is, but is the brewing process determined by the yeast? And yes, it does smell a bit like arse so far.

I believe the yeast does technically decide, as the difference is in the way the yeast ferments (top-fermenting vs. bottom fermenting).
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:17 AM »

I believe the yeast does technically decide, as the difference is in the way the yeast ferments (top-fermenting vs. bottom fermenting).

Yeah, I understand the top vs bottom thing, I just didnt realize it was so purely based on the yeast. So if I used the yeast they gave me in the actual brew kit, I would have ended up with an Ale then? weird.
Mongeese like results

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2007, 03:54:40 AM »
Yep, that's exactly it. Whether you are brewing a lager or an ale comes specifically down to the type of yeast you use. The brewing process is completely based on the type of yeast, as ale yeasts and lager yeasts have different requirements for fermentation, particularly temperature.

How's the brew going anyway? I probably should have been a bit more clear about the types of dried yeast to get, sorry about that... Hopefully it turns out good either way. Just make sure you keep the temperature down, and you'll be right.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
well, I had never used any yeast other than what was provided with the brew kit until now, and the only reason I used this one is because on the can it recommended to use this specific yeast for a better flavour - they neglected to mention the difficulties involved, or the fact that it now makes it a completely different beer. An amateur, or someone who hadnt done their homework (ie. asked the WF brew crew) would be fucked with this one.

As for temp, being the almost sub-tropical climate Im in Im finding it hard to get any lower than 16°. I'll just see how it goes - worts case scenario I waste $18, 1/2 hour work and 2 weeks precious brewing time. Surely it wont come to that though.
Mongeese like results

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »
well, I had never used any yeast other than what was provided with the brew kit until now, and the only reason I used this one is because on the can it recommended to use this specific yeast for a better flavour - they neglected to mention the difficulties involved, or the fact that it now makes it a completely different beer. An amateur, or someone who hadnt done their homework (ie. asked the WF brew crew) would be fucked with this one.

As for temp, being the almost sub-tropical climate Im in Im finding it hard to get any lower than 16°. I'll just see how it goes - worts case scenario I waste $18, 1/2 hour work and 2 weeks precious brewing time. Surely it wont come to that though.

Should be ok. 16 is a little high, so you might get a few ale like fruity tastes, but it doesn't really matter.

Next time, pick up Safale US-05 or US-56 (same yeast, different names), which is a clean tasting American ale yeast, or S-04, which is a slightly yeastier tasting and smelling English ale yeast, or even use the yeast from a bottle of Coopers as per the tutorial earlier :D

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
Just bottled my lager - hopefully it resembles Corona to some degree, being a Cerveza and all. the more exciting news is that my Canadian Blonde (which I named "the Royal Canadian Kilted Magsmen ale" - in homage to Ren & Stimpy) tastes fucking awesome after just 2 weeks in the bottle. It has that fruity flavour that any young brew has, but undertneath that, it tastes awesome - another week or 2 and it should be killer....

in other news, I just put on my "Buzz Lightbeer" (named for my sons obsession with Toy Story - and a play on the main ingredient). It consists of Coopers Master Brewers Wheat beer (the premium range), 1kg of CSR Brewing sugar and 500g of honey. It smells wicked. Should be a blast. Oh, the whole "lightbeer" part of the name is fully false advertizing, as the OG was 1.047 (excessively high, and should give me something around the 6% mark).
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
I finished brewing the Bavarian Wheat Beer the other day. This is buy far the simplest brew Ive made, as it is all contained in one kit. All you need to do is boil some water, put it in the fermenter, add the kit, then top up the fermenter with cold water and add the yeast. Very simple.

Although, a day after the brew was made, it wasnt bubbling in the fermenter (which implies that it wasnt fermenting, ie, the yeast was past its date  :ranting:), so a quick run down to the brew store for some more yeast and pouring it in luckily fixed it. So if you use yeast from a kit, make sure its still good and continually check your brew while its fermenting !

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
is there such thing as over-yeasting?
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »
Nah not really, using a lot of yeast will cause excessive foaming, but the only danger there is that it could start to leak out of the top of the fermenter.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
Good to hear your shit is all coming together!

I'm having a few of the boys around for the grand final and have a bit of a piss up. I've got that ESB sitting at 10 degrees mellowing out a bit which will be just beautiful, but I wanted a little more variety so I threw on my attempt at a Little Creatures pale ale clone, using Chinook and cascade hops. Decided to do this one as a big fuck off partial mash, with the wort from the grains contributing about a little over half of the total fermentable sugars. Used about 3 kilograms of grain all up.

Do do this, I built myself a mash tun out of an old 15L esky and plumbing bits from Bunnings, which is just big enough to mash 3 kilos. The copper manifold initially had holes drilled in it to let the wort flow through, but the flow rate was dismal so I took to the thing with a hacksaw and cut about 80 1mm slits in the copper. Worked much better!

Fucking made one hell of a mess in the kitchen when trying to fix that little problem. By the time the day was over I was covered in sticky malt and second degree burns.

It's got a little spigot that the wort drains through after the mash is finished.

This thing is now full of slits.

Size comparison.

I picked up a few different packets of Wyeast the other day, one of which being the Belgian Wit yeast. So I will be throwing on a Hoegaarden clone for summer sometime soon. Also, once i get  afridge I will be putting on the Czech Pilsener... looking forward to that one.

That honey wheat sounds pretty good haydz, I've been tempted to do one of them too.

Too much to do, not enough time / fermenters...

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
Fuck yeah, ingenuity at its finest  :)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »
yeah man, thats some crazy assed shit there! Looks impressive. I have no idea what the fuck it does, but it looks cool. Me, I'll just stick to the standard old conventional method for now.

speaking of which....

Took a SG reading last night, and when I get home tonight Im taking another one and the way its been going tonight is bottling night. Had a taste of the wort last night too - just a sip. This honey beer is going to be one VERY impressive brew, mark my words. Oh, and as predicted, the fruity taste of the Candian Blonde has pretty much diminished to nothing, and its now a superb beer - very clear, very sparkly and holds a decent 1/2" head for almost the whole glass. Looks like it was poured from a keg. PERFECT!
Mongeese like results