Author Topic: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.  (Read 35763 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Re: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2007, 07:34:14 AM »
A few chunks never hurt anybody, but chances are they will eventually dissolve.

Anyway, I went to see Roy to get set my draught system up. It's simple, but pretty expensive, mainly due to the cost of the regulator. I had a big bottle of gas I inherited from a mate's dad when a tree fell on his brewing shed / home pub, so I didn't have to pay for that.

All up, for the 18 litre keg, lines, Pluto gun and regulator with fittings cost me 355 dollars.

Woo!
Nice work. Where did you get the gun and regulator / fittings from? And how much just for those?
I have 50lt kegs so it's gonna be interesting finding a fridge to fit them. :P

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »
I got the gun, regulator and fittings from Roy at T.W.O.C. / Deliverance in Bibra Lake, the address is in the first post.

Regulator is what will set you back the most, it costs over 200 dollars. The lines, fittings and gun were around 70 dollars or so. Also, I have 3 50L kegs at home, but the fittings are different to the setup I have now (old fashioned style), I'll take a picture of the 50L keg fittings and the 18L keg fittings them tonight, and see if yours will work. Failing that, they might have the fittings for the old style kegs at the store.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2007, 03:20:33 AM »
I was just gonna get the keg coupler off ebay, was just curious where you sourced the stuff and the costs. I saw some regulators cheap on some site too, or was it ebay as well...  :hmm:
Was just gonna hire the gas bottle from BOC.. $10 a month apparently.

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2007, 02:42:50 AM »
I was just gonna get the keg coupler off ebay, was just curious where you sourced the stuff and the costs. I saw some regulators cheap on some site too, or was it ebay as well...  :hmm:
Was just gonna hire the gas bottle from BOC.. $10 a month apparently.

thats sounds like a good deal

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
Just bottled my licorice beer, which I have dubbed 'Magouzo Ale'. Should be good. Man, the sediment in the bottom of the fermenter was fucking PUTRID though! Worst Ive ever seen....I blame it solely on the licorice of course.

Next Im trying something a little different - a Coopers Ginger Beer (requested by my mother-in-law). Cant be too hard, except it only makes 17L at 3.5% alc. We'll see about THAT! I aint makin no pussy mid strength shit. Will let you know how it goes.
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
Went to the brew store at Stock Road markets on Saturday and picked up a couple of kits that look really good.

Edme is supposed to be among the best home brew companys in England (along with Muntons of course). This looked good, and the dude there recommend we use combine the yeast in the kit along with a packet of Y Yeast. Now Ive always heard that mixing different strains of yeast is bad, but the guy there said it really didnt make much difference, and you want a lot of yeast for this brew. Anyone ever done this before?

Also got a Brewcraft Bavarian Wheat Beer (cant find an image, its just a bit tin with a simple label). As far as simplicity goes, this one is great, all you need is the tin. All malt, hops and yeast are already in it. Ive already had this Wheat Beer before, and its bloody terrific for the summer time.

Tasted the Traditional Bitter and the Belgian Brune last night. The Bitter is coming along nicely, Ill probably bottle it tomorrow. The Belgian is still bubbling away, so its good for another week or so before that gets bottled, and I can tell already that this is going to be among the best Ive ever brewed.  ;D

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
Just bottled my licorice beer, which I have dubbed 'Magouzo Ale'. Should be good. Man, the sediment in the bottom of the fermenter was fucking PUTRID though! Worst Ive ever seen....I blame it solely on the licorice of course.

Next Im trying something a little different - a Coopers Ginger Beer (requested by my mother-in-law). Cant be too hard, except it only makes 17L at 3.5% alc. We'll see about THAT! I aint makin no pussy mid strength shit. Will let you know how it goes.
my mate I mentioned earlier gave me some cherry cola and ginger beer he brewed, fucken nice it was, the cola caught up with me though mixing it with beam  :drunk:

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2007, 10:57:24 PM »
Me and Sim (Chaos) made a batch of cola a few years ago when home brew was the norm and decided to make it an alcoholic cola, it tasted foul from the first week, to a year later.. it was no better when it was stored under my bed in 1 litre bottles and I used to come home from work at night to big black puddles emerging from under there, smelling of the abomination that was our alcoholic cola.

Needless to say we stuck to beer from that point on.

The home brew ciders are also awesome, I forget which one it was we did but it tasted fuckin' incredible.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2007, 02:42:22 AM »
I just put on a hefeweißbier today, couldn't be fucked taking pictures but here is the recipe. I'll make one again soon, so I'll do it then.

1.7 kilograms pale malt liquid extract
1.7 kilograms wheat malt liquid extract

50g Saaz hops (2.8% AA)

A pre-started culture of Wyeast 3638 (Schneider strain). I bought a packet of Wyeast 3068 a week ago, this is the Weihenstephaner yeast, might make another soon with it; it'd be interesting to compare the two.

Both cans of malt were added to two litres of hot water and simmered until a rolling boil. When boil was achieved, I scooped off the hot break until no more foam was visible, then I added 50g of Saaz into my hop bag and boiled it in the malt for 60 minutes. When the boil was finished, I rinsed the bag with boiling water to get the rest of the juice out. Made up to 23 litres, pitched yeast at 28 degrees.

I'm going to go about this one a little differently to the last hefe I did, which was pretty ordinary. Kind of clovey and pissweak really, hardly any nice banana aromas or flavours. I fermented it at 16 degrees (which is perfect for most ales. Not hefe, apparently).

Reading up, I found out that most of the German hefeweißbier yeasts won't produce the esters that give those flavours at such a low temperature; ideally they should be fermented above 20 degrees for the richest flavour. So, I am going to whip the electric blanket out and ferment this one at 22 degrees and see how it goes.

Hopefully this will get me close to the mark.

An all cascade APA I made about a month ago is coming into age now, cracked a bottle of it yesterday; still needs another week, and could've done with some more hops, but overall pretty damn awesome. Pours perfectly, holds a head for ages, and is a nice cloudy light orange. I've just finished an amarillo golden ale, which is going into the new keg tomorrow! I'm going to dry hop it with 20g of amarillo. If the taste of the wort is anything to go by, this one is going to be a winner.

:drunk:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:46:20 AM by Inge »

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »
I just put on a hefeweißbier today...

I love you... in the gayest way possible. :-*
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:42 AM »
Went to the brew store at Stock Road markets on Saturday and picked up a couple of kits that look really good.

Edme is supposed to be among the best home brew companys in England (along with Muntons of course). This looked good, and the dude there recommend we use combine the yeast in the kit along with a packet of Y Yeast. Now Ive always heard that mixing different strains of yeast is bad, but the guy there said it really didnt make much difference, and you want a lot of yeast for this brew. Anyone ever done this before?

Also got a Brewcraft Bavarian Wheat Beer (cant find an image, its just a bit tin with a simple label). As far as simplicity goes, this one is great, all you need is the tin. All malt, hops and yeast are already in it. Ive already had this Wheat Beer before, and its bloody terrific for the summer time.

Tasted the Traditional Bitter and the Belgian Brune last night. The Bitter is coming along nicely, Ill probably bottle it tomorrow. The Belgian is still bubbling away, so its good for another week or so before that gets bottled, and I can tell already that this is going to be among the best Ive ever brewed.  ;D

I have seen these kits and didn't give them a moment's thought, but yeah apparently they are pretty shit hot. Let us know how it goes.

And yeah, that Bavarian Wheat kit is really good, but I'm always a bit iffy about kit yeasts. I'd use K-97 dried yeast for just a couple of bucks extra; this is a brilliant yeast for wheat beers apart from hefeweißen and witbier, which really need liquid or recultured yeast. I fucking love wheat beers, might give an American Wheat Beer a shot some time soon. Wheat goes well with honey, apparently...

Just for the record, I'm sure that Brewcraft source their extracts from Muntons, so it's bound to be good :)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:41:24 AM by Inge »

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions, Im a little iffy about yeasts that come with the kits as well.

Just bottled the Traditional Bitter last night, only made about 18 litres, a little less than I thought, looks like this going to be a bit stronger than usual. Its progressing quite nicely, hoppy bitter flavours are quite evident and I expect them to develop as time goes on.

The Belgian Brune is still bubbling a little bit, but I think I will bottle it tomorow or so.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2007, 04:26:51 AM »
This coming Saturday I will be doing a partial mash for an English Special Bitter. I will also be purchasing two more kegs, because I have officially decided that bottling fucking blows for three reasons:

a) Effort.

b) You have to wait for fucking ever for the sugar drops to be fermented and the nasty flavours to be cleaned up. Maturation in a keg is quicker and easier.

c) Can't dry hop with bottles unless you ferment in secondary.

So, for the ESB, I bought:

500g of dried light malt extract
1 can of Cooper's liquid light malt extract
100g of East Kent Goldings (I will be using this for bittering and flavouring)
1.1kg of 2 row pale barley malt
200g crystal malt

Will get into it on Saturday, and will probably do a partial mash hefeweizen and take photos this time. I'm thinking afterwards I might try a partial mash Belgian golden ale ala Leffe for Christmas or something.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »
500g of dried light malt extract
1 can of Cooper's liquid light malt extract
100g of East Kent Goldings (I will be using this for bittering and flavouring)
1.1kg of 2 row pale barley malt
200g crystal METH

You could call it Ben's ale.  :P

Anyway, it seems as though our dear brewing freind Inge has out grown us all and left us behind cleaning our crusty bottles out. Im still more than happy to use the bottles for now. In fact, I cracked my Tooheys Special BItter last night. Not too bad, considering its just a standard normal old $10 can with normal dextrose (not brew enhancer or malt or anything). On a scale of 0 (Emu Export) to 10 (Grolsch/Heineken) I give it about a 6. Thats only 3 weeks in the bottles too, so it should only improve.
Mongeese like results

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
Crystal methamphetamine in a German lager sounds like it'd be a hit in the club scene. I will call it 'Geschwindigkeit'.

As for the beer, leave it for two months or so and it will probably claw its way up to a seven.

I don't miss your crusty bottles!

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2007, 11:45:53 PM »
Time to revive this little puppy.

Style: English Special Bitter (ESB)

This time we are going to do a partial mash. The mash is the process in which the sugars are extracted from the cracked, malted grains. Without going into too much detail, the grains are soaked in the appropriate amount of water (around 2.5-3 litres per kilogram of grain), and the resulting porridge is held at a certain temperature (60-68 degrees, depending on how full bodied you want the beer. A pretty good best-of-both-worlds temperature is 66, which is what I'm going to shoot for). Keeping the mash at this temperature activates enzymes in the grain which convert the starches into fermentable malt sugars. After the mash is finished, usually after an hour or so, the grain is rinsed with 75-80 degree water to wash out residual sugars into your boil pot. This is known as sparging.

The best beers are made entirely from grains using this process, but as I am lacking the equipment to do this, I am going to use a smaller amount of grain in conjunction with liquid and dried extract. All up, the grain will contribute around 1/3rd of the total fermentable sugars and (most importantly) impart a fresher, less sweet flavour to the finished brew.

The English Special Bitter is a stronger, hoppier version of a ordinary bitter. They are generally quite malty, with a bit of fruit from the yeast and a strong bitter finish. The only example I can think of at the moment is Fullers's ESB which is fairly hard to find around here. Or, imagine a slightly stronger version of Boddington's.

Ingredients

1.15kg of pale malt, 200g crystal malt, cracked. The guy at the homebrew store will do this for you.

1.5kg can of Cooper's light liquid extract.

About 500-700 grams of light dried extract.

1 packet of S-04 English ale yeast.

100g East Kent Goldings hops.

Packet of Calcium Sulphate to harden the water a bit (I'm using rainwater for the mash and boil; it's too soft for mashing. Tap water should be fine.)

The Mash: Brewing in a Bag

You will need: An accurate thermometer, a large esky, two large muslin grain bags.

Before you start, pour about 5 litres of boiling water into the esky and the pot that you will be mashing in to warm it up, thus minimising heat loss to convection, and keep the mash temperature fairly steady. Splash it around a bit to make sure it warms evenly.

Put the pot in the esky and seal it for the time being.

Now, get 3.5 litres of water (or alternatively, use 2.5-3 litres of water per kilogram of grain) in a saucepan, and put it on the stove at medium heat. You want to heat this up to just under 75 degrees (strike temperature). When mixed with the grains in the mash, the temperature should drop to around 66-67 degrees C, which is perfect.

Now is the time to add about 3/4 of a tablespoon of gypsum salts to harden the mash water. This will drop the pH a little, and make the mash slightly more efficient.

While this is happening, get your pot, stretch the bag over it and dump your grains in. Boil the kettle.

Dump the mash water into the pot, stirring to make sure all the grains are thoroughly wetted.

Check the temperature after stirring. If it is sitting at 66-67, you are laughing. If the temperature is below 66, add boiling water SLOWLY while stirring until the temperature is right. Cover the pot and put it in the esky, seal the lid.

All you need to do is wait for at least 40 minutes. Check the temperature at the halfway point. If it has dropped to 60 or so, add a cup of boiling water slowly to bring it back up to the mid 60s.

While you are waiting, put about 5 litres water on the stove. This is going to be the water with which you wash the sugars out of the grains, i.e. the sparge water. This needs to be hotter than the mash water so heat this up to about 80 degrees.

Once the mash is finished, you have to lift the bag out of the pot and put it in a colander sitting over the top. Slowly trickle the sparge water over the grains to wash out the residual sugars sugars. Use as much sparge water as your pot will fit. This is pretty tricky to do alone without burning yourself so get your wife / grandma to do it.

All done! You should have a pale soup of sweet malt. If it doesn't taste sweet, you failed.

Boil this for 15 minutes before adding the first batch of hops. A scum should form on the top- spoon it off as it develops. You can see some of the scum in the bowl on the left hand side of that picture. This scum is the hot break, and removing it will help prevent your boil from foaming up and making a mess. Once this is done, dissolve your can of extract, and half a kilo of the dried extract into the wort.

Hop Additions

Protip: Put a second grain bag or stocking into the wort, and add your hops into this to stop the hop bits from glugging up the boil.

40g East Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes
30g East Kent Goldings @ 30 minutes
20g East Kent Goldings @ 3 minutes

Topped up to 22 litres and fermented using the S-04 English Ale dried yeast at 16-18 degrees for a week.

Racked into a secondary vessel for conditioning for a week, dry hopped with about 15g Goldings (dry hop means just chuck them straight into the fermenter).

Will be kegged and carbonated TOMORROW. Tastes and smells magnificent, going to be a beauty.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:21:26 AM by Inge »

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2007, 10:34:25 PM »
MY FIRST BREW IS ON! You cunts inspired me. Its only the generic Coopers Lager that came in the kit but hopefully it will work out all good.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
MY FIRST BREW IS ON! You cunts inspired me. Its only the generic Coopers Lager that came in the kit but hopefully it will work out all good.

and dont be dissapointed if it doesnt man. Its kinda like cooking pancakes - the first one is never very good. Trust me, it only gets better! Welcome to the club - may you have many successful brews in years to come!

On other news, my licorice beer has been in bottles for about 3 weeks now, and is fucking TAAAAAAASTY! When I say tasty, Im going as far to say a 9/10 on the homebrew taste scale. After-taste is a bit much but. Remembering, this was made with a Coopers Dark Ale, 1kg dextrose and 300g soft black licorice - its a fucking DARK ale alright!

Oh, and my Tooheys Special Ale has come up a treat. When I last "reviewed" it I gave it a 6. 2 weeks later and it easily acheives at least a 7.5.

My Ginger beer is THE tastiest ginger beer I have ever tasted as well. Fuck the Bundaberg stubbies - mine is the shiznit, and its about 3.1% alcohol too! Should go nicely with some Rum to make a super potent Dark & Stormy. By the way, this was after only a week in the bottle. I can only imagine what benefits another month or so worth of conditioning will bring. Maybe using pure springwater IS worth it after all!

Bottling my Coopers Canadian Blonde sometime over the weekend as well. Smells great, nice and clean and crisp.

as you can see, I have a VERY healthy stockpile of piss to keep me amused. It seems I cant keep up drinking it, so I have to start slowing down the brewing.....or better yet, acquire more bottles.
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:17 AM »

and dont be dissapointed if it doesnt man. Its kinda like cooking pancakes - the first one is never very good. Trust me, it only gets better! Welcome to the club - may you have many successful brews in years to come!

On other news, my licorice beer has been in bottles for about 3 weeks now, and is fucking TAAAAAAASTY! When I say tasty, Im going as far to say a 9/10 on the homebrew taste scale. After-taste is a bit much but. Remembering, this was made with a Coopers Dark Ale, 1kg dextrose and 300g soft black licorice - its a fucking DARK ale alright!

Oh, and my Tooheys Special Ale has come up a treat. When I last "reviewed" it I gave it a 6. 2 weeks later and it easily acheives at least a 7.5.

My Ginger beer is THE tastiest ginger beer I have ever tasted as well. Fuck the Bundaberg stubbies - mine is the shiznit, and its about 3.1% alcohol too! Should go nicely with some Rum to make a super potent Dark & Stormy. By the way, this was after only a week in the bottle. I can only imagine what benefits another month or so worth of conditioning will bring. Maybe using pure springwater IS worth it after all!

Bottling my Coopers Canadian Blonde sometime over the weekend as well. Smells great, nice and clean and crisp.

as you can see, I have a VERY healthy stockpile of piss to keep me amused. It seems I cant keep up drinking it, so I have to start slowing down the brewing.....or better yet, acquire more bottles.

Well done man!

Its always good to get a good stockpile of homebrew right before summer, as summer isnt a very good time to brew.

Handy Hint :
If you're running low on longnecks, you can use any size plastic coke bottle. Beer carbonates just as well in these, the only thing is, once you open it, it means you should drink all of it as it won't keep well.  8)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
Next up after I bottle my Canadian Blonde, I've decided to step my way up the rungs a bit and go for something slightly more adventurous. Got myself a Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza, a bag of West Brew Brew Booster #15 (which has light malt in it as well) and decided I'd buy a different yeast, just to see how it goes. I got a Saflager W-34/70 - whatever the fuck that is. The brew can told me to get it for a "crisper, drier flavour". So I did.
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2007, 11:21:42 PM »
Here's something you can do if you really want to know how yeasts can affect a brew :

Get three or four fermenters and divide your brew up equally between them.
The use a different yeast for each fermenter.

Everything else is exactly the same, except for the yeast. So when it comes time to tasting, you'll know which flavours and characteristics each yeast can bring to your brew.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2007, 11:26:20 PM »
yeah, I'd love to put it to the test, however I neither have the means (I only have one fermenter) nor the desire to ever bother getting a second fermenter. I will experiement with yeasts from now on though - I know using the same brew extract, sugars and malts you still get varying brews dependant on temperature, how the water is on any one day etc etc, but its gotta be close enough. Anyway, I have no desire to ever make the same beer twice until I find something that truly blows my tastebuds away.

By the way, I managed to source more bottles. SWEET!
Mongeese like results

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2007, 11:37:25 PM »
Best bottles = Grolsch various size swingtop bottles, capping not required. ;D

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 12:59:32 AM »
When I was in Adelaide they had Coopers lager. I've never seen it here so I had a try and it was possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I'd have Topvar over Coopers lager any day of the week.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2007, 01:00:53 AM »
Ive seen it in a couple of stores. It is by far their weakest beer.