Author Topic: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.  (Read 35753 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Re: The Homebrew Megathread - Piss, Plonk and Moonshine.
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »
I've still been brewing all the way through. Most of the time I do up a keg or two for a party, then I get to have whatever hasn't been drank on tap to bide me over for a while.

I've made up some alcoholic ginger beer for the past couple christmases and they have gone down a treat.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Funnily enough Daz, Im listening to a Ginger Beer bubbling away right now. The reason my brewing kicked off again was because my wife came home from a swap meet of some variety with a brand new Brew Craft kit for $10. Its never been used. That means I have 2 full kits so I can go into pretty major production.

Im thinking about doing a wine next. I saw a doco on wine making and this dude made a homebrew supermarket packet style wine. He also made a proper wine with help from a winery using proper wine grapes and a press and doing it the traditional way. Was very interesting, especially when he took it to the London Wine Academy (been around for a couple of hundred years, full of toffy nosed wine loving cunts). He got them all to taste both wines without telling them what was what. Out of the 20 or so people only 2 said they prefered the grape wine. A few of them even went so far as to score the packet shit a 7/10. Not bad since it cost him something like 2 pounds per bottle to make, and these cunts are used to tasting super expensive shit.
Mongeese like results

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
haven't read this entire thread, but anyone have any results distilling? How much to get involved in whiskayyyy?

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »
^ You'll probly have to wait at least 2 years before You can try it. Most whiskys are aged in a barrel for a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 20 years.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
^ You'll probly have to wait at least 2 years before You can try it. Most whiskys are aged in a barrel for a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 20 years.

3 years for a bourbon to be classified a bourbon. However you arent quite right. Moonshine can be ready to drink within 2 weeks or so. Aging whisk(e)y in a barrel is for nothing more than flavour. The distillation process only takes a few days. Here is a basic run down from someone who has never done it but has a good understanding of alcohol and I also have a few mates that do this....

1. Make a "wash" - basically a beer brewing vat of water, sugar and yeast (a homebrew beer minus the beer can).
2. let that ferment for a week or so, as per standard beer brewing.
3. run the wash through a still (hence the word distilling). A still essentially evaporates the alcohol by mildly boiling the wash at 76-78deg (I think) and there is a catchment for the alcohol vapours to be collected, trickle into a container and what you collect will be somewhere in the vicinity of 70-85% alc.vol. (140-170 proof).
4. some people I have heard of run this through the still again to purify it even further and try to achieve closer to 90-95% alc.vol
5. you have to skim the top 10% of the liquid out of the vat apparently as this is poisonous (hence moonshining is dangerous).
6. mix with whatever flavoured essence you like.

Theres obviously more to it than that, but thats a basic run down to the best of my understanding. I know you can also get liqueur additives to make the drink thicker and more syrupy (think Sambucca, Midori etc). you can also get bourbon chips and stuff like that but Im not sure at what stage you are supposed to add these (pressumably after the wash, but Im not sure).

Purely out of interest, this process is very similar to making hash oil, but we'll save that for another time :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:18:19 PM by Mago_Haydz »
Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
Never brewed it myself, but have a mate who brews a lot of bourbon (or in reality, moonshine). Usually 150 proof and upwards. It makes you want to fight your friends. Good shit.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
oh yeah, I forgot to mention, most sane people cut the finished product down with water to take it from "fight your friends juice" to something a bit more normal, say around the 40% mark.
Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
Where's the fun in that!

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
One of my mates has a housemate with a still and their whole bar is covered with bottles of different types of spirits. The ones I tasted were pretty nice. He said it works out to be about $10 a bottle, with the initial set up costing about a grand or so.
If I didn't already do the homebrew beer I might be tempted.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:42 AM »
THREAD REVIVAL!!

Just bottled another brew after an 18 month hiatus. Coopers Draught (very standard) but with 1 kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, 0.5kg of dextrose and a bag of Fuggles hops. Smells awesome already. Will let you know how it goes. I decided to take up the hobby again, more for fun than anything. I go through phases with brewing as you can probably see.

just cracked the first one to have a taste. Slightly fruity, but its only young, so thats to be expected. The good news is the head is awesome from the pour and lasts as long as a normal tap beer. Bubbles are smashing the surface at a fantastic rate. Its crisp, clean and has that lovely fuggles hops taste to it. Very very nice brew, especially since I havent done one for 18 months or so. Once this fruity taste wears off, its going to be a pretty special brew, I can feel it in my waters.
Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
The young ones are always a bit fruity, with excellent head skills.