Author Topic: Playstation 3  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Playstation 3
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:44:38 PM »
Despite having 7 PS2 games i havent even unwrapped from their packaging yet, because i dont get time to play any longer.... im looking at getting a PS3. Resistance looks cool, but thats about all ive really seen, and ive only seen a couple youtube demos. GTA4 is due out, i dunno, later this year?

Anyone got a PS3, and how is it? Good games?? I like war games like SOCOM, Medal of Honour, Ghost Recon, etc, plus the odd Gran Turismo. Suggestions?

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation 3
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »
Give it another few months for the price to come down. They just released a $100 price drop at E3 this week..also had previews of heaps of the new games..it looks brutal.
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:22:35 AM »
im not paying $1000 for PS3 but in the near future I will be adding 1 to the shopping list

some reading material...   http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/01/04/ps3.review/index.html

oh and Damo if you were wondering who was yelling from the car in northbridge last night it was me and Blake, Si and Bailey from Trident Winter  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:28:00 AM by sheppo »

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »
im not paying $1000 for PS3 but in the near future I will be adding 1 to the shopping list

some reading material...   http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/01/04/ps3.review/index.html

oh and Damo if you were wondering who was yelling from the car in northbridge last night it was me and Blake, Si and Bailey from Trident Winter  ;D

hahahahhaha thats who it was..I was wondering who was yelling at me..:rofl:
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Cynic

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:11 AM »
meh play games on computer, most of the titles are the same plus you can use the same computer for your work/web need. Only thing it doesn't allow you to do is if you plan on playing it with your friends and they come over, then you can't all exactly play one computer. I'm still stuck on oldskool 16bit and windows games so i can't really comment on newish games.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 01:04:06 AM »
meh play games on computer, most of the titles are the same plus you can use the same computer for your work/web need. Only thing it doesn't allow you to do is if you plan on playing it with your friends and they come over, then you can't all exactly play one computer. I'm still stuck on oldskool 16bit and windows games so i can't really comment on newish games.

every time ive bought some new PC game, ive had to upgrade video cards, motherboards, ram, hard drives, bla bla. I can take a PS3 to any room with a TV, cant do that with the computer.

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:21 AM »
I've been a PC gamer since we got our first computer with Keen :D.... But i'd have to say if I was going to get a console after my wii it'd be the PS3.. Only because GTA comes out first on it.

It doesn't really matter which next gen console you get.. Most games are the same. The PS3 has much more potential than the Xbox 360 though.

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 02:48:59 AM »
I've been a PC gamer since we got our first computer with Keen :D....

yes Commander Keen, Duke Nukem 2D and Doom

Offline Crud

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 03:09:59 AM »
I went for a 360 just before the PS3 came out, since the last console I had was a N64 I thought it was time. I don't have a whole heap of time to play games but it does the job. For the price I couldn't justify the Playstation, 3 although it's supposedly got less problems than the XBOX (I haven't had any problems yet).

And yes, the major reason I got it was for GTA4 when it comes out.

I'm sure there's plenty of arguments for and against each console but I'm happy with my choice, plenty of cool enough games out on XBOX for my needs.

Not sure at all how this helps, but probably a fuck load more than telling you I yelled at some cunt in Northbridge.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 04:31:06 PM »

Not sure at all how this helps, but probably a fuck load more than telling you I yelled at some cunt in Northbridge.

HAHAHA....classic ending.

The newest console I have is an N64.  I still play it from time to time.

I hear the PS3 is a better console than the 360 from many different sources, but how reputable they are I have no idea. There was a thread on here somewhere quite a while ago comparing the PS3 to the 360, and it was quite comprehensive. I believe Jarrydn's post was the one that held the key to the answers you were searching for. By memory the PS3 came out on top.
Mongeese like results

Offline Crud

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 05:48:58 PM »
I think your talking about this one.

http://www.westernfront.com.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,38/topic,922.80

Having better hardware is one thing. But the way they implement that hardware is another.. The PS3 has the shittest OS and online community giving it a heavy blow.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »
but online gaming is for PC fags - Consoles are all about sitting around with a bunch of mates drinking piss, or relaxing on your own with a quiet game; not playing some other geeked up cunt on the other side of the world that you dont even know.
Mongeese like results

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »
but online gaming is for PC fags - Consoles are all about sitting around with a bunch of mates drinking piss, or relaxing on your own with a quiet game; not playing some other geeked up cunt on the other side of the world that you dont even know.

Meh, it's generally easier to get going with online gaming. Besides, all controls are generally the same for all games (of the same category), and you don't have to spend a day figuring out how to get your hands around all the buttons on the controller, when you use a keyboard. It's a fuckload easier to run and aim accurately with a mouse and keyboard, than it is with some bulky controller with 100 fucking multi-directional sticks and shoulder buttons. I'm mostly talking about xbox controllers though. Playstation controllers are ok, but N64 and 'cube ones are better.

Also, with the popularity of online gaming, you don't necessarily need to play with people on the other side of the world. I mostly go on Aussie servers, and know half the cunts I play with IRL, or at least know of in Perth/talk to on MSN.

I find playing online games when drunk fun too, but you're right about console games being fun when pissed as well. Was playing Gears of War on Xbox360 at a mates last Thursday. Pretty fun when I got the hang of shit. Chainsaw rush FTW. Older consoles are more fun though. Go SNES!
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 10:28:42 PM »

Meh, it's generally easier to get going with online gaming. Besides, all controls are generally the same for all games (of the same category), and you don't have to spend a day figuring out how to get your hands around all the buttons on the controller, when you use a keyboard. It's a fuckload easier to run and aim accurately with a mouse and keyboard, than it is with some bulky controller with 100 fucking multi-directional sticks and shoulder buttons. I'm mostly talking about xbox controllers though. Playstation controllers are ok, but N64 and 'cube ones are better.

thats exactly what I was talking about.....leave the online fags to enjoy their shit on PC - consoles are for real gamers...well, people that enjoy a more party oriented gaming experience.
Mongeese like results

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »

thats exactly what I was talking about.....leave the online fags to enjoy their shit on PC - consoles are for real gamers...well, people that enjoy a more party oriented gaming experience.

indeed. I was up with my mates untill 4am on saturday morning drinking bourbon and playing Mortal Kombat Armageddon. BEST....TIME....EVER

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:52:02 PM »

indeed. I was up with my mates untill 4am on saturday morning drinking bourbon and playing Mortal Kombat Armageddon. BEST....TIME....EVER

and thats just it...thats console gaming at its finest! One of my favourite memories was playing Crash Bandicoot til some ridiculous hour on a school night, with a bunch of older guys who were tripping off their brains, while me and another mate were smoking bongs. God damn that was a funny night.
Other times we would play Sega Rally on the old Saturn with the accelerator button taped down so you only need one hand to steer, leaving the other free for drinking/smoking. Now that sort of shit just isnt the same playing online, even if it is against people you know.
Mongeese like results

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 01:17:31 AM »
I went for a 360 just before the PS3 came out, since the last console I had was a N64 I thought it was time.

thats quite an upgrade

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:18:51 AM »
yes i agree bailey mortal kombat smahed is awsome but donkey kong stoned, it just can't be beaten  ;D

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 02:43:16 AM »
If you're looking to get a PS3, just wait a little longer. I hear theyre bring out a $999 deal that comes with an extra SIXAXIS and 2 games. Still outrageous that we don't get the 80GB harddrive AND that we only have 88% backwards compatibility (another cost saving measure thats not forwarded to the consumers, good one Sony!), but if you must get it, wait until thats on offer.

Personally I'm waiting for MGS4... and a $250 price drop... and 100% backwards compatibility... and a decent online service... and more exclusive games than just MGS4 and GT5 :hmm:

Then I'd think about getting one.
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 03:08:31 AM »
I have a PS2, and a PS1, why do i need backward compatability? I dont play any of the old games anyway.

So, does anyone in here ACTUALLY HAVE ONE YET? Is it true i can buy an international sourced machine (japan?), and play any games i want (not region coded, eg: US, or asia)? I dont care about blu ray region coding, its irrelevant.

Offline fluffygutss

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »
All i have to say is Wii. It may not ahve the same graphic capabilities but it is by far the funnest machine of the three next gen consoles!

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 03:07:17 AM »
Jesus christ! why have I only seen this thread now?

Well currently I'm battling through God of war 2 which is probably the best PS2 game I've ever played. also trying to beat GTA: vice City Stories and also trying to find the urge to finish Final Fantasy 12 which has been a huge dissapointment in terms of story and character development ( graphics and animation though is easily the best on PS2 ).

I am DEFININITELY getting a PS3 whenever it comes down in price. Desperately wanting MGS 4, Resi Evil 5 and FFXIII.

And it's probably utter pointless playing this machine without a plasma screen so it could be a while yet for me.
Musician

Offline clitoral_damage

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
got a ps3 when they first came out, got an awesome deal thru toys r us. got a free game for pre-registering, discount on a 2nd controller, and a free game. sometimes it pays to get in early. need for speed carbon is rather good with lcd tv, and surround sound. resistance;fall of man i'm about half way thru, seems ok. not to experienced with that type of game, i prefer racing/driving games like gran turismo.

If you want to continue with ps2 games on the ps3, you'll need an adaptor for your ps2 memory card.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »
Jesus christ! why have I only seen this thread now?

Well currently I'm battling through God of war 2 which is probably the best PS2 game I've ever played. also trying to beat GTA: vice City Stories and also trying to find the urge to finish Final Fantasy 12 which has been a huge dissapointment in terms of story and character development ( graphics and animation though is easily the best on PS2 ).

I am DEFININITELY getting a PS3 whenever it comes down in price. Desperately wanting MGS 4, Resi Evil 5 and FFXIII.

And it's probably utter pointless playing this machine without a plasma screen so it could be a while yet for me.
I'm definately gonna get me a PS3 at some stage, it's time upgraded from my ps1 with chip and 6 billion Bali games, some of which I spent a fair bit of time on back in the day.

I couldn't imagine how awesome FF XIII would be on PS3.
But you're right, a decent TV would be a pre-requisite.