Author Topic: How do I 'tighten' up my Peavey 6505+?  (Read 13731 times)

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
How do I 'tighten' up my Peavey 6505+?
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Hey guys,

Bought a 6505+ head and cab recently.  Was going to sell it, but no-one seems interested, so I may keep it...

(I used to own a 6505 standard before this.)

The problem is, that the + model's distortion is shit compared with the 6505...Palm mutes are not short and choppy like I like them.  The cleans are light years ahead, but the distortion is just shit...I play lots of tech death, and when the distortion isn't tight, it makes your playing sounds rubbish...The 6505 was just in a league of it's own compared to this...

It's rubbish at low volume and at high...

Does it sound like the tubes??  Guy I bought it off didn't tell me how old they were, so they could be years old for all I know...I don't want to replace them if they're still good...(Got it off ebay)

Is it the cab then?  I've never used an XXX cab before...My last cab was an ibanez with V30's in it...(I think they have Peavey speakers in them)

Any input would be muchly appreciated...(btw, Perry, what's the going rate for a good set of tubes these days?  Preamp and power tubes please...)

Cheers,

Dan

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
Re: How do I 'tighten' up my Peavey 6505+?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:42:15 PM »
Talk to Jim Will @ Blue Glow.Or if buying online then Dougs Tubes.

I suggest: for preamp tubes Tung Sol in v1 & chinese  penta labs or shuguang in the rest

Power tubes: 6L6 either Ruby winged C or Winged C

Have tried a bunch of combo's & this seems to work best for 6505 & 6505+ 5150 5150mk2

Some guys like tung sol mixed with jj's in the pre section.

Also Bias it on the hotter side as this will clean up the distortion nicely.

When buying power tubes ask for a matched quad that will bias hotter.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »
or buy a mxr gt-od.
Run it thru your noise suppressor loop.
boom.

Offline Cortex

• WF Major
  • The mind is the rage that can devour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »
I just bang it in front of my noise supressor, works fine this way too ;)
http://www.myspace.com/bindingtheflesh

There are no gods, no devils, no angels,
no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but myth and superstition
that hardens hearts and enslaves minds

Offline HappySinner

• WF Colonel
  • I am the Anti-Bling!
    • View Profile
    • Graham Greene Website
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »
An OD or compressor in front of the amp does go a long way to tightening up the distortion sound. I put a Tube Screamer in front of my RK and the results are creamy. Worth trying before an expensive retube.
Raw Brutal Maxixe.

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
Thanks guys,

I'll look into it :)

Dan

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 06:36:15 PM »
you may want to try out the bbe sonic maximiser...bang it in the loop and it'll tighten up your low end, make everything alot more crisp as well. if its just the gain you don't like, a decent o/d or compressor will work wonders
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
EQ pedal in the loop helps too...

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
 all depends on how much you want to sculpt the sound. if you already like you're sound, the bbe will help....if not (which seems to be the case for the guy) an eq will probably be a better bet.
try out all the options i guess and see how you go!
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline hermz

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »
+1 to the person who recommend the MXR GT-OD. Does wonders for my amps.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
the 5150/6505 tighten up great with a tubescreamer boosting the front... but i cant understand needing one for the mkII/6506+ ??? theyre plenty tight and crispy already.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:15 AM »
Yea I use a tubescreamer in front of all my amps, why? They all sound better with it.

Turn the distortion on the tubescreamer to 0 & start cranking the volume knob until it gets to breakup then back it off. Tightens the bottom end up like crazy & allows you to use more of the bass knob on your amp without it getting farty or cutting into your bass players range.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
Here is a mod I copied off the Eurotube site.
Any competent tech can perform this

Peavey 5150 II and 6505+

The 5150 II and 6505+ are the same amps and fall into the love it or hate it category. I get calls and emails all the time from players who sold or traded their original 5150's off for the 5150 II or 6505+ and the question is always, "how do I get my 5150 II or 6505+ to have the balls my 5150 had?" Unfortunately the answer is you can't get there from here... The voicing on these amps is totally different than the original 5150 and Peavey choose to basically neuter the 5150 II. It simply does not have the low end grunt and raw sound that the original had. This is not bad, its just different and you will find plenty of players who love the 5150 II.

I'm questioned a lot as to the bias adjustment on the 5150 II and 6505+. This amp does have an adjustable bias but the available sweep is pretty narrow and the only way to get the power tubes out of crossover distortion is to lower the resistance to the circuit and once again this is a very easy mod and well worth it.

Inside the amp there is a small circuit board that has the bias trim pot mounted on it and the final bias resister which is a 12K 1/4 watt resister. All that's necessary is to replace that resister with a 6.8K 1/4 watt resister which will increase the window of available bias adjustment. A final bias setting of between 36 to 40mA of plate current per tube measured with a bias probe is a good setting. You only need to probe one tube, set the bias for it and you?re done.

The bias pot is located right next to the power tubes so if you use a short bias probe you don?t even have to remove the amp from the chassis. We have our own Eurotubes bias probes which can be used with any multimeter that will do this for 25.00

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
& here is the most insane mod I have ever seen done on a 5150. 6L6 & KT88 together  :o

Peavey 5150 and 6505 amps.

The 5150 and the 6505 are the same amps and they have an insane amount of gain in the preamp section. I?m going to be very honest here and say right up front that I do not care for the 5150 heads in stock trim. The power tubes while running just under 500 plate volts are only drawing about 10 to 12 milliamps of plate current. This means the amp is producing what is called crossover distortion and can not produce a good warm clean tone to start with. It also causes the amp to be sluggish and lack dynamic response.

The 5150 combo and the Ultra combo are another story. For some reason PV got it right and although the combo amps are also fixed bias they are fixed MUCH warmer and I can supply you with power tubes that will get the bias between 38 to 42mA which is right where they belong with NO bias mod.

If you check a stock 5150 100 watt or an Ultra plus 100 watt head using an oscilloscope and a signal generator which is the classic old school method of biasing a tube amp, you can plainly see crossover distortion in the wave forms until you get to about 33 to 34 milliamps of plate current then the sine waves look perfect. I personally like them set at 40 to 42mA per tube. Now you 5150 players who have played or own the 5150 combo don't have this problem, for some reason the combo's are biased much warmer and with the correct grade of power tubes they will bias up to a very nice 38 to 40mA with no need to modify them. This is why most players who have tried both the head and the combo, like the clean tone and the combo's dynamic response better.

There are a lot of amp tech?s out there that have attended technical trade schools or have taken a couple college courses and have no real understanding of how and why vacuum tubes work. They for the most part have never read or studied any of the classic tube manuals but most of them will be very quick to say, "Bias? No, you don?t have to worry about that, it?s fixed bias." So if you?re looking for a tech to bias your amp properly and you get this answer say, "Gee thanks!" and quickly move on to the next tech because they obviously know nothing about tube amps.

In July of 1999 I retubed a 5150 for a local guy named Jeff Miesen, better known as Jeffytune on the Peavey forum.  The Peavey amp forum used to be one of the only real open forums on the net, but unfortunately this changed the summer of 2001 and now if you post something that Peavey doesn't like your post will be deleted. This is unfortunate as I did enjoy this forum. Now back to that 5150. Jeff was real happy with the JJ Electronic 6L6?s and ECC83?s that we loaded his amp with, but I have to say I still didn?t care for it. I tried to convince Jeff to let one of the local tech?s I work with to bias his 5150 but he was leery and didn?t want to part with the $40.00. (He was probably saving for another Peavey amp!) A few weeks went by and I couldn?t take it any longer, I really wanted to hear for myself what a 5150 sounded like with the power tubes biased properly so I called Jeff and offered to pick up his 5150 and take it to one of my tech friends for a bias job, free of charge! Jeff said yes! Two days later I picked the amp up and brought it home. It now read about 34 to 35 mA on the plates which was just out of crossover distortion. I played his 5150 for about two hours at all different settings. I liked it! It now had a good warm clean tone and the dynamic response was much improved. I promptly called Jeff to come get his amp. After hearing it he was impressed, a total success!

In August of 2000 I decided to mod a 5150 using an idea I was going to use on a 100 watt Marshall. The mod consists of a split dual bias circuit allowing the amp to run all 6L6?s or a pair of KT88?s in the outside sockets and 6L6?s in the inside sockets or any combination of EL34?s, 6L6?s and KT88?s. I called it the 5150ex for experimental. I mounted the two bias pots on the back panel for easy access, reworked the front panel and hard wired in two milliamp meters, one for the two inner tubes and one for the two outer tubes.

I tried all of the above tube combinations at lots of different bias settings, this thing is a great test bed! My favorite combination is a pair of JJ E34L?s in the center sockets set at plate current draw of 44mA and a pair of JJ KT88?s drawing 65mA in the outer sockets. At these settings the amp makes 113 watts before any clipping. In stock trim a 5150 is well into clipping at 100 watts.

This amp gets run hard multiple times a week and has well over FOUR years on it now with NO problems what so ever.

The 5150 ex is a beast! It also exhibits a very fat, warm clean tone. The distortion in the clean channel alone is more than I need! The lead channel is just simply over the top, way over the top! With it?s Zebra wood front panel and snakeskin covering it?s not bad looking either! Just about every local player that comes in for a retube wants to play it and I never say no because it?s great to see and hear their reactions. The Marshall players seem to be most impressed.

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
^ Thanks Beast!

"The 5150 II and 6505+ are the same amps and fall into the love it or hate it category. I get calls and emails all the time from players who sold or traded their original 5150's off for the 5150 II or 6505+ and the question is always, "how do I get my 5150 II or 6505+ to have the balls my 5150 had?" Unfortunately the answer is you can't get there from here... The voicing on these amps is totally different than the original 5150 and Peavey choose to basically neuter the 5150 II. It simply does not have the low end grunt and raw sound that the original had. This is not bad, its just different and you will find plenty of players who love the 5150 II."

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about.  So you guys think an OD pedal will sort it out?

I thought the tubes were gone...

Thanks cd,

Dan

Offline The Janitor

• WF Lieutenant
  • Kicked in the c*nt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 02:41:58 AM »
Just can the + and buy a 6505 for less.
The comment you've quoted is completely true, you can try an OD pedal and you might get a slightly ballsier sound, but it still wont be what you're after if you loved the regular 6505's sound.

Offline SandBlastedSkin

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Arkarion myspace
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 05:50:46 PM »
& here is the most insane mod I have ever seen done on a 5150. 6L6 & KT88 together  :o

Peavey 5150 and 6505 amps.

The 5150 and the 6505 are the same amps and they have an insane amount of gain in the preamp section. I?m going to be very honest here and say right up front that I do not care for the 5150 heads in stock trim. The power tubes while running just under 500 plate volts are only drawing about 10 to 12 milliamps of plate current. This means the amp is producing what is called crossover distortion and can not produce a good warm clean tone to start with. It also causes the amp to be sluggish and lack dynamic response.

The 5150 combo and the Ultra combo are another story. For some reason PV got it right and although the combo amps are also fixed bias they are fixed MUCH warmer and I can supply you with power tubes that will get the bias between 38 to 42mA which is right where they belong with NO bias mod.

If you check a stock 5150 100 watt or an Ultra plus 100 watt head using an oscilloscope and a signal generator which is the classic old school method of biasing a tube amp, you can plainly see crossover distortion in the wave forms until you get to about 33 to 34 milliamps of plate current then the sine waves look perfect. I personally like them set at 40 to 42mA per tube. Now you 5150 players who have played or own the 5150 combo don't have this problem, for some reason the combo's are biased much warmer and with the correct grade of power tubes they will bias up to a very nice 38 to 40mA with no need to modify them. This is why most players who have tried both the head and the combo, like the clean tone and the combo's dynamic response better.

There are a lot of amp tech?s out there that have attended technical trade schools or have taken a couple college courses and have no real understanding of how and why vacuum tubes work. They for the most part have never read or studied any of the classic tube manuals but most of them will be very quick to say, "Bias? No, you don?t have to worry about that, it?s fixed bias." So if you?re looking for a tech to bias your amp properly and you get this answer say, "Gee thanks!" and quickly move on to the next tech because they obviously know nothing about tube amps.

In July of 1999 I retubed a 5150 for a local guy named Jeff Miesen, better known as Jeffytune on the Peavey forum.  The Peavey amp forum used to be one of the only real open forums on the net, but unfortunately this changed the summer of 2001 and now if you post something that Peavey doesn't like your post will be deleted. This is unfortunate as I did enjoy this forum. Now back to that 5150. Jeff was real happy with the JJ Electronic 6L6?s and ECC83?s that we loaded his amp with, but I have to say I still didn?t care for it. I tried to convince Jeff to let one of the local tech?s I work with to bias his 5150 but he was leery and didn?t want to part with the $40.00. (He was probably saving for another Peavey amp!) A few weeks went by and I couldn?t take it any longer, I really wanted to hear for myself what a 5150 sounded like with the power tubes biased properly so I called Jeff and offered to pick up his 5150 and take it to one of my tech friends for a bias job, free of charge! Jeff said yes! Two days later I picked the amp up and brought it home. It now read about 34 to 35 mA on the plates which was just out of crossover distortion. I played his 5150 for about two hours at all different settings. I liked it! It now had a good warm clean tone and the dynamic response was much improved. I promptly called Jeff to come get his amp. After hearing it he was impressed, a total success!

In August of 2000 I decided to mod a 5150 using an idea I was going to use on a 100 watt Marshall. The mod consists of a split dual bias circuit allowing the amp to run all 6L6?s or a pair of KT88?s in the outside sockets and 6L6?s in the inside sockets or any combination of EL34?s, 6L6?s and KT88?s. I called it the 5150ex for experimental. I mounted the two bias pots on the back panel for easy access, reworked the front panel and hard wired in two milliamp meters, one for the two inner tubes and one for the two outer tubes.

I tried all of the above tube combinations at lots of different bias settings, this thing is a great test bed! My favorite combination is a pair of JJ E34L?s in the center sockets set at plate current draw of 44mA and a pair of JJ KT88?s drawing 65mA in the outer sockets. At these settings the amp makes 113 watts before any clipping. In stock trim a 5150 is well into clipping at 100 watts.

This amp gets run hard multiple times a week and has well over FOUR years on it now with NO problems what so ever.

The 5150 ex is a beast! It also exhibits a very fat, warm clean tone. The distortion in the clean channel alone is more than I need! The lead channel is just simply over the top, way over the top! With it?s Zebra wood front panel and snakeskin covering it?s not bad looking either! Just about every local player that comes in for a retube wants to play it and I never say no because it?s great to see and hear their reactions. The Marshall players seem to be most impressed.

hell yeah that's an awesome mod, i recently re-valved my amp and re-biased it and its amazing how it can shine things up for you, especially us metal players where it sounds good but you hear the potential to clean it up a bit so a proper bias can do the trick as well as experimenting with different tubes. I'm with beast hit up doug's tubes, you can find some sweet combinations there. It should also be the first thing you look at doing before looking into pedals after all, your sound is your guitar and amp.
Check out Arkarion@ www.myspace.com/arkarionband

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 07:48:11 PM »
What guitar/pickup/tube combo (pre & power brand)  are you currently running?

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
I used to own a 5150 (II) and have tried the 5150 (I) and I found the (II) to be MUCH tighter than the (I).

Sounds a bit odd that you are having trouble with it being loose as if anything I found it to maybe be even a little too tight on occasions.

weird

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
You always have that problem, big man.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »
I used to own a 5150 (II) and have tried the 5150 (I) and I found the (II) to be MUCH tighter than the (I).

Sounds a bit odd that you are having trouble with it being loose as if anything I found it to maybe be even a little too tight on occasions.

weird

exactly!
i also find that that the II sounds great paired up with the mesa Oversized cab...and that the mkI with a boost pairs up better with the a standard size cab.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:45:18 PM by JohnnyC »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 01:25:58 AM »
What guitar/pickup/tube combo (pre & power brand)  are you currently running?

What cab you running as well?

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »
An OD or compressor in front of the amp does go a long way to tightening up the distortion sound. I put a Tube Screamer in front of my RK and the results are creamy. Worth trying before an expensive retube.
Doesn't hurt to use an EQ pedal either. I picked up one last weekend and tried it through my V amp as well as my Compresser pedal I bought from Perry. I wasn't really happy with the sounds I was getting from the Vamp but when I hooked up the compressor and the Eq it was much better. Good thing about the Eq is you can either cut the frequencys or boost them., plus Eq's have a bit of gain.  I was asking myself afterwards why I didn't use an EQ pedal YEARS ago.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 02:25:11 AM »
Hey Dan
i feel guilty now ive got your old 6505.
yes its me!
the dirty little bastard that bought your amp not so long ago. :eyebrows:

so, you sold it to me, and now you want another?

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 02:30:51 AM »
hey Dan, did you do anything to the 6505 mod wise?