Author Topic: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?  (Read 19784 times)

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:51:55 AM »
Hey im thinking aboot purchasing an Engl head and cab and just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with em
im looking at either the powerball or ritchie blackmore.

Any feedback just drop a line and itl be much appreciated,

Oh Ive read reviews and im gonna try and find some to actually play providing spilly fides has some in stock, so before anyone goes and tells to me to just play one im actually after some other types of feedback and comments about these mystical german bulldykes.

Cheers :headbang:

Offline Cynic

• WF Major
    • View Profile
Re: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:41:08 AM »
I'm really interested in getting one as well, quiet like the sound of the powerball although I've heard the invaders very good as well. Quiet a few of the bigger tech death bands use them so there's a benchmark for recorded sound.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Offline daventrypete

• WF Corporal
  • (falseto) yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:52:44 AM »
awsome amps! the powerball has really clean cleans with plenty of head room and the dirtortion channel rips, more gain than a mesa! however, the power ball is just a metal amp, not the most versitile amp unless your using pedals, i havnt used the ritchy before but would imagine its pretty decent
what number am i thinking of???? 69!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:08:45 AM »
They are a nice amp. I prefer the sounds from an ENGL over a Mesa.

If I didn't get a Framus I probably would have settled for an ENGL.
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Cortex

• WF Major
  • The mind is the rage that can devour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 05:55:13 AM »
Powerballs sound great in a room and live but are almost universally derided as a recording amp, the only band I can think of that has recorded with them is The Haunted on their albums after Revolver, and can't say I enjoy the move from fiddies ;)
http://www.myspace.com/bindingtheflesh

There are no gods, no devils, no angels,
no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but myth and superstition
that hardens hearts and enslaves minds

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
didnt really care for the Fireball/Powerball, but if you like very saturated and aggressive high gain... it might be up your alley. 
me lovey the german amps(and automobiles) thou and would love try out a Savage or the Steve Morse Sig. Model.

anways theres a whole heap of ENGL clips here.
http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain=playlist&mid=155
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:49:13 PM by JohnnyC »

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
the steve morse model seems pretty cool
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline daventrypete

• WF Corporal
  • (falseto) yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:57:15 AM »
my friend also plays a powerball in a punk bandm, he said he thinks it sounds better than his tripple rectofier but it isnt loud enough to get over the rest of the people in the band, so he gigs with it when he gets mic'd up, but thats it
what number am i thinking of???? 69!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:08 AM »
I know 2 credible amp techs who have both said to stay away from newer ones as they are costantly in for repair & hard to get parts for. No point having a killer tone if the amp doesn't work.

Krank on the other hand seem to have gotten their act together & have worked out all the bugs they previously had.

I suggest a VHT, you can come try mine if you want buddy as no shop in Perth stocks em.  ;)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
I tried a Krank a little while ago and was not impressed at all. I thought it sucked a fat one. Can't remember exactly which model it was but it was expensive. It certainly wasn't a cheap entry level amp.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:47 AM »
I tried a Krank a little while ago and was not impressed at all. I thought it sucked a fat one. Can't remember exactly which model it was but it was expensive. It certainly wasn't a cheap entry level amp.

i tried out the Revolution out of curiousity and initially wasnt impressed at all...until i turned the presence knob completely off and played around with the sweep knob. thought it sounded pretty decent, however not worth the asking price.

be interested to hear what the Chadwick sounds like.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 02:23:13 AM »
I'm really interested in getting one as well, quiet like the sound of the powerball although I've heard the invaders very good as well. Quiet a few of the bigger tech death bands use them so there's a benchmark for recorded sound.

Was thinking about the invader but im happy with a 100watter I dont want to have to drive the invader(150watt?) hard enough to get a good and phat sound..

awsome amps! the powerball has really clean cleans with plenty of head room and the dirtortion channel rips, more gain than a mesa! however, the power ball is just a metal amp, not the most versitile amp unless your using pedals, i havnt used the ritchy before but would imagine its pretty decent

Thats ok I only want a metal amp, if i need something else later ill a/b it with something maybe an ol fender.

Powerballs sound great in a room and live but are almost universally derided as a recording amp, the only band I can think of that has recorded with them is The Haunted on their albums after Revolver, and can't say I enjoy the move from fiddies

Sam, do i really have to remind you why i dont wanna use a 5150? lol
Im not too concernd about that as the bulk of what we do is play live and in a room, recording can be done with amps that we hire, borrow or pimp ourselves out to buy.

I know 2 credible amp techs who have both said to stay away from newer ones as they are costantly in for repair & hard to get parts for. No point having a killer tone if the amp doesn't work.

Krank on the other hand seem to have gotten their act together & have worked out all the bugs they previously had.

I suggest a VHT, you can come try mine if you want buddy as no shop in Perth stocks em.

Jim @ blueglow? Did my dual rec not long ago, how new are we talking coz im gonna buy brand spankers?
Was thinking about the kranks aswell, rev+ maybe?

VHT? I would be insanly interested to play this thing, Im keen to get one but I have no idea where to obtain one, ebay i guess.
Maybe something can be aranged for the baby to be brought to hollywood geoffs place as im 5 secs round the corner.
If things go well maybe youd take some cash for the hire of it as Sins are booked in for march to record.

Im curious about the steve morse aswell, seen it in guitar world and it seems pretty decent.

Thanks for the feed back ppl, next step is to trynd make time for some amp testing at billy hydes as that the only place i know that sells Engls,

anyone know of anywhere else, preferably NOR.
 :headbang:

Offline SandBlastedSkin

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Arkarion myspace
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 02:30:23 AM »
Engl amps are quite impressive..such a sweeter mid range than most and more grunt than the mesas..idealistic for modern metal styles, i think they would cut through great live some cool features the amps too.
Check out Arkarion@ www.myspace.com/arkarionband

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:59:38 AM »
Its cool dude if your still @ billies i'll come see ya soon.
No need to talk me into a sale, im 65% convinced already.

Owned a dual rec, was cool but to get a sound I wanted, not what everyone else wants i had to run a mxr custom overdrive and a bbe sonic maximizer..trying to keep pedals pretty basic, amp->delay->Noise supressor->tuner->wah

Also i found dual rec just didnt have that type of gain i was looking for, was loud as fuck and i enjoyed the sound i could get from it but it just didnt have that creamyness to the dist..hopeing the engl with its sweeter mids with help that.

I shall be at hydes at some point in time.

Offline SandBlastedSkin

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Arkarion myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »
hahaha didnt wanna sound all saley.fuck that. just saying there brootal!but yeah. come say hi  :headbang:

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
Engl amps are quite impressive..such a sweeter mid range than most and more grunt than the mesas..idealistic for modern metal styles, i think they would cut through great live some cool features the amps too.

I wouldn't say more "grunt" so to speak. But then again, most people that I know of always use the "any amp vs. Mesa", with the Dual Rectifier as the "Mesa"...

None the less, ENGLs and Mesas are nice, they are just different, preference really...

Offline SandBlastedSkin

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Arkarion myspace
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 05:06:25 AM »

None the less, ENGLs and Mesas are nice, they are just different, preference really...

yeah definetly

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

I suggest a VHT, you can come try mine if you want buddy as no shop in Perth stocks em.  ;)

Can I come over and try the VHT???  :D

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:54 AM »

Can I come over and try the VHT???  :D

Me and my big mouth.  :P

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
Hey while you are in Billy Hyde why not just A/B the krank & the engl. They havethe evolution in stock & the krankenstein however they only have the evolution cab. Eric from Dethlahem has the only Krankenstein cab in Perth as far as I know & it fucking KRANKS. Ran my VHT & the Diezel through it & fuck me it sounded awesome. So much so I went into Billy Hyde the next day & ordered a pair of Texas Heat speakers for my cab. They sound great by the way.

Val from Nails Of Imposition uses a Krank revolution head & it sounds great. He runs his through a Vader cab. It worked out way cheaper to buy & ship the Vader from the states than to by the Krank cab. The Vader is oversized like the Krank, uses the Eminence v12 speakers which some of the revolution cabs use (Soldano also use these speakers), the difference is the Krank cab is also front ported & front mounts the speakers where as the Vader is sealed & rear mounts the speakers.
The setup Val uses fucking owns.

I will try my head through his Vader cab next to get a new perspective.
The oversized cabs make a huge difference to tone. Also I prefer the Eminence speakers to v30's. They just seem to work with any amp. hey have a lot more clarity & punch & are much better live in my opinion. Also Eminence speakers cost less than celestions & are better quality construction.

I will have to arrange a time to bring my amp & cab round to Geoff's place for you to have a play. Probably the same time I pick up my 5150 off him  :rofl:

Time to get out the holesaw & add a port to the front of my cab & see what effect it has on the sound.  ;D

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
If you want to try an amp with a totally different flavour Music Park has a Rivera Knucklehead.

If I had the spare cash this amp would already be mine dammit

Someone buy this amp so as I can borrow it for recording  :P

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 02:21:31 AM »
Yes im pretty interested in the vader cabs, and yeah Erics Krank rig is pretty sweet..

The VHT and Vader cab sounds like an interesting combo, let me know how you go with that. Only problem is locating these items, sounds like the vader cab is easy enough but the VHT sounds like a different story...

Hmmm maybe the powerball with mercury magnetic tranny upgrade and tube replacement and bias would sound good with the vader cab  :-\

Ah im pretty sure geoffs finished guitars for "alwaysborn" so im sure he will give the fiddy1fiddy back, although he may be attached to it by his teeth.

Yeah ive heard of the knucklehead, i think jim root used to use em before he started using the orange amps...meh slipknot aint the flavour im looking for but im curious none the less, do you know how much these pauppies go for?

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 04:00:21 AM »
If you want to try an amp with a totally different flavour Music Park has a Rivera Knucklehead.

Hang on, I think I might have met you and spoken to you before at Music Park...

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 06:43:33 AM »

Hang on, I think I might have met you and spoken to you before at Music Park...

More than likely  :P

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 06:48:26 AM »

Yeah ive heard of the knucklehead, i think jim root used to use em before he started using the orange amps...meh slipknot aint the flavour im looking for but im curious none the less, do you know how much these pauppies go for?

Actually it is Mick that uses the Knucklehead. Now has his own custom signature version called the K7. Don't judge the Rivera on Slipknot's tone tho. This thing is pure class A power & will rip you a new hole. The louder you push it the better it sounds. This is one serious piece of gear, retails for around $5000, the one they have is second hand & they are asking around $2000 for it.  :headbang:

SOMEONE HERE BUY IT