Author Topic: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?  (Read 19786 times)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »
If you want to try an amp with a totally different flavour Music Park has a Rivera Knucklehead.

If I had the spare cash this amp would already be mine dammit

Someone buy this amp so as I can borrow it for recording  :P

Hang on, I think I might have met you and spoken to you before at Music Park...

More than likely  :P

Weren't you the one that was raving about those Kahler locking nuts, that are installed behind the nut???

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

Yeah ive heard of the knucklehead, i think jim root used to use em before he started using the orange amps...meh slipknot aint the flavour im looking for but im curious none the less, do you know how much these pauppies go for?

Actually it is Mick that uses the Knucklehead. Now has his own custom signature version called the K7. Don't judge the Rivera on Slipknot's tone tho. This thing is pure class A power & will rip you a new hole. The louder you push it the better it sounds. This is one serious piece of gear, retails for around $5000, the one they have is second hand & they are asking around $2000 for it.  :headbang:

SOMEONE HERE BUY IT
people throw around the term "Class A" as a reference to how good an amp is, but im not sure they know what it means....
be interesting to know how you came to the conclusion that hte knuckle head is Class A :hmm:

simply googling Class A + rivera comes up with this
http://rivera.com/press/062008_GW_Venus6.pdf
http://www.rivera.com/products/venus/venus6_212.php

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:32:15 PM by JohnnyC »

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »
Nah im not gonna judge it from slipknots tone lol im sure they used alot of differnt amps for recording anyway..

2k ? Hmm sounds tempting what cab would you suggest to go with it though? Something with V30's or the V12's?

Ill do some looking up..which model is it though? Theres a few differnt types eh? Please tell me its the k-tre' that thing looks sweet.

This may end up be cheaper than I thought, means i can pump more money into hookers...amongst other things. :hmm:

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 01:31:49 AM »
I have a Rivera Hammer 320 Stereo power amp which I've had for years.. hadn't seen any other Riveras around or talked about in Perth before. Interesting.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »
Which you havn't used live either. Speaking of which have you considered playing guitar in addition to singing with Sabbotage?

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
Weren't you the one that was raving about those Kahler locking nuts, that are installed behind the nut???

Yea that would be me hahaha

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 07:26:04 AM »

people throw around the term "Class A" as a reference to how good an amp is, but im not sure they know what it means....
be interesting to know how you came to the conclusion that hte knuckle head is Class A :hmm:

I know what class A means although most here probably don't, Jim Wills @ Blue Glow spent 2hrs explaining the whole class A & A/B push pull thing, plus what every part in different tubes does & how the different pins are configured on different tubes.  :blowup:
Class A does not mean better just different to A/B

I have been told it is a class A amp (I may have been missinformed) However it sounds & reacts to volume like a class A.

It is a 50watt amp but I tells ya it will blow the doors off almost any 100w I have played. The louder you push it the better it sounds. It just keeps beggin you to push it louder Whilst your ears are screamin @ you to turn it down, Yet the amp took control of my right hand & just kept winding the thing LOUDER, OH YEA BABY THATS THE STUFF. It's kinda the tonal equivelant to Heroin, just a little more your ears will recover in a week or so it's ok.
I had to turn it down after someone walking past the shop on the footpath outside came in & complained, I kid you not.  :rofl:

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »

I know what class A means although most here probably don't, Jim Wills @ Blue Glow spent 2hrs explaining the whole class A & A/B push pull thing, plus what every part in different tubes does & how the different pins are configured on different tubes.  :blowup:

I have been told it is a class A amp (I may have been missinformed) However it sounds & reacts to volume like a class A.

It is a 50watt amp but I tells ya it will blow the doors off almost any 100w I have played. The louder you push it the better it sounds. It just keeps beggin you to push it louder Whilst your ears are screamin @ you to turn it down, Yet the amp took control of my right hand & just kept winding the thing LOUDER, OH YEA BABY THATS THE STUFF. It's kinda the tonal equivelant to Heroin, just a little more your ears will recover in a week or so it's ok.
I had to turn it down after someone walking past the shop on the footpath outside came in & complained, I kid you not.  :rofl:

Dude, once I was cranking the JTM 45 to 8 on both masters, and someone from outside just bloody slam something onto the metal door that's just beside the amp room...

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Sound appears to be better the louder it gets so whether or not it actually has anything to do with the amp, you can't really tell. A lot of people will insist that driving the tubes harder makes them sound better, which may be true to some extent but I think much of the 'sweetness' you hear as you push amps harder is probably a lot to do with your ears simply perceiving louder to be better.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »

its Class A/B
http://www.rivera.com/pdf/Knucklehead-v1-0.pdf
i must say rivera manual really is informative.

for it to be operating at true Class A...100W would require something stupid like TEN EL34 tubes.
the 50W Knucklehead on only has 2 power tubes?

and what you described sounds like the KH has really good power tube saturation.
there really isnt a defining "tone" for Class A...and most amps that are labelled Class A are misleading.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 10:04:48 PM »
Sound appears to be better the louder it gets so whether or not it actually has anything to do with the amp, you can't really tell. A lot of people will insist that driving the tubes harder makes them sound better, which may be true to some extent but I think much of the 'sweetness' you hear as you push amps harder is probably a lot to do with your ears simply perceiving louder to be better.

I have & have had plenty of  valve amps. Trust me this is not ear perception. This thing reacts like a vintage jcm800 on steroids.
Sure the 5150 Diezel & VHT all sound better as you get louder, mainly powertube saturation for the 5150 & speaker excursion with the diezel & VHT as if they reach pwer tube saturation the room it is ridiculously loud. The Rivera on the other hand is a whole different animal, as Johnny remarked it is power tube saturation & it sounds fucking great. So the louder you push the volume the more the power tubes saturate & the better it sounds.
The only problem with this is you dial in your killer tone but the volume may be too high, that is where a power brake comes in handy. The only huge difference then is less speaker excursion in the tone, which can be better or worse.

Whether the Rivera is A or A/B it kicks ass. I just wish I had the funds to buy it myself. They are rare as shit in Australia, like the VHT & Diezel. List price on the 50w last I looked was over $5000 & the 100w around $7000. I will have to check again as I havnt checked the price recently. @ $2000 tho this is a bargain either way.  :headbang:

Bottom line, this amp is a killer so someone here buy it cos I can't.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Sounds like a Combined Death Toll gig.
 ;D

I'm kidding!   <-- Disclaimer for any of your fans that might think I'm being serious.
 ::)

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
Hey while you are in Billy Hyde why not just A/B the krank & the engl. They havethe evolution in stock & the krankenstein however they only have the evolution cab. Eric from Dethlahem has the only Krankenstein cab in Perth as far as I know & it fucking KRANKS. Ran my VHT & the Diezel through it & fuck me it sounded awesome. So much so I went into Billy Hyde the next day & ordered a pair of Texas Heat speakers for my cab. They sound great by the way.

Val from Nails Of Imposition uses a Krank revolution head & it sounds great. He runs his through a Vader cab. It worked out way cheaper to buy & ship the Vader from the states than to by the Krank cab. The Vader is oversized like the Krank, uses the Eminence v12 speakers which some of the revolution cabs use (Soldano also use these speakers), the difference is the Krank cab is also front ported & front mounts the speakers where as the Vader is sealed & rear mounts the speakers.
The setup Val uses fucking owns.

I will try my head through his Vader cab next to get a new perspective.
The oversized cabs make a huge difference to tone. Also I prefer the Eminence speakers to v30's. They just seem to work with any amp. hey have a lot more clarity & punch & are much better live in my opinion. Also Eminence speakers cost less than celestions & are better quality construction.

I will have to arrange a time to bring my amp & cab round to Geoff's place for you to have a play. Probably the same time I pick up my 5150 off him  :rofl:

Time to get out the holesaw & add a port to the front of my cab & see what effect it has on the sound.  ;D

Cheers Simon ;D being the tone guru you are this is a nice compliment!! Also kudo's to you for the constructive critisizm and Marc Hawkins from Grotesque for aiding in getting 'mytone' :D
Twas interesting trying out the VHT and Diezel with the Vader and your awesome cab as well. Awesome sonic sounding stuff!
that tube screamer kicks ass!!! i want one!!

Sins of The Father good luck in finding 'yourtone'
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:07:49 AM by Rotten »

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 02:26:57 AM »
Cheers dude I will need all the luck as ive been through marshalls, randalls, mesa's, peavys and fenders well the metalhead anyway which is the closest to what I want only its doesnt have the actually oomph just the tone...

What would be cool though is if you could explain to me how you obtained this mythical vader cab... :hmm:

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »
Cheers dude I will need all the luck as ive been through marshalls, randalls, mesa's, peavys and fenders well the metalhead anyway which is the closest to what I want only its doesnt have the actually oomph just the tone...

What would be cool though is if you could explain to me how you obtained this mythical vader cab... :hmm:

Try a Framus ;)
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 03:18:27 AM »
Yer was thinkn bout framus but need to find one to try it out...

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:05 AM »
Yer was thinkn bout framus but need to find one to try it out...

Mega Music stock them I believe, otherwise I may be able to organise ya to come have a play on mine :)
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 04:10:58 AM »

Sucks to be you...  :P

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
Val got his Vader from America.
Worked out cheaper than buying the Krank cab even wuth shipping etc  :o

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »

www.vadercabinets.com
www.myspace.com/vadercabinets
VaderCabinets@hotmail.com (use subject Vader Cabinets)
i emailed adam (he's the owner) and we went over the details of payment and shipping.
at the time the aussie dollar was 87 UScents and i got the cab with postage (fedex) delivered to my door (i wasnt home at the time but i went to belmont to pick it up) for just under $1600. due to the current financial fiyasko the aussie $ is a mere 65 UScents so the cab alone is gonna set you back $1055 AUD..postage was be a little less then the cab when i got mine so now you could be looking at $2100 :(
alternatively come to a jam of ours, bring your rig and ill let you try it out..
metal
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:41:24 PM by Rotten »

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »
Yes it does suck to be me, I hate not being able to find something im happy with, ive gotten the cleans and crunches i love but never the brutal gain im after...Somewhere between fear factorys digimortal (line6 amps ive been told) gojiras From mars to sirius (5150) SYL's alien (5150) and Mastodons Remission ( various marshalls and other odd amps)  and nevermores dead heart in a dead world (5150 or Krank?)

Its hard cause when i mention that sorta stuff i get the "just get a 5150" ..ive played a 5150, standard and modded and yer it sounds good, its just a tad too dry and not saturated enough for what im after.
I played a JCM 800 combo ages ago fuck knows which model but that was sorta of close to what i like only back then I wasnt down tuning, in a band and had way less knowledge about stuff..i do know that it sounded like a phat beast that if i had it now i would make it scream like my my ex girlfriend when i had my hand around her...ok lets leave it at that.

where you guys jam Rotten? Hopefully NOR as thats where sins jam...

If not then its a trip to mega music and a long wait til the dollar becomes good again....

Cheers again folks :headbang: legends

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 04:23:58 AM »
Ok, a number of people have asked me if I can make a cabinet for them, and Ive always said no. Ive been planning my workload around xmas, and can fit some time in to build some cabinets if enough people want the same thing.

I really liked Val's Vader cab, so it will be based around those.

Obviously, it will be cheaper than anything imported into Oz. We can discuss speakers and what not, but for now, if anyone is interested, PM me. Once I have a list of interested people, I'll work out a price.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 04:36:16 AM »
 ;D

Sweet, Nice phat cab with some eminences, Blue Snake skin tolex and a grill fashioned into a big mull leaf....

Or whatever can be done lol

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 04:51:06 AM »
;D

Sweet, Nice phat cab with some eminences, Blue Snake skin tolex and a grill fashioned into a big mull leaf....

Or whatever can be done lol

agreed with what he said  ;D  :headbang:
but yeah id be interested. would much rather a custom and well designed cab than robotic flat cabs.
what speakers do u bring in / stock?

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 05:22:55 AM »
Whatever speakers you like. In fact, you can supply your own if you like.