Author Topic: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?  (Read 19787 times)

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
Re: ENGL AMPS?? Whadda ya reckon?
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
where you guys jam Rotten? Hopefully NOR as thats where sins jam...
We jam at VHS (o'connor just off stock road) wednesdays (7-10pm) and saturdays (4-8pm)..
if you're keen pm me and we'll arrange a time..
metal

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
Its hard cause when i mention that sorta stuff i get the "just get a 5150" ..ive played a 5150, standard and modded and yer it sounds good, its just a tad too dry and not saturated enough for what im after.
DamoESP mentioned trying out a framus, but if you find the 5150 too dry and not saturated enough...the framus cobra is gonna feel like eating wheatbix when your stoned (well the crunch channel anyways)
have you managed to try out any ENGLS yet?

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
Its hard cause when i mention that sorta stuff i get the "just get a 5150" ..ive played a 5150, standard and modded and yer it sounds good, its just a tad too dry and not saturated enough for what im after.
DamoESP mentioned trying out a framus, but if you find the 5150 too dry and not saturated enough...the framus cobra is gonna feel like eating wheatbix when your stoned (well the crunch channel anyways)
have you managed to try out any ENGLS yet?

Ah I missed that post, good point, it may not be the sound your after.
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 02:47:34 AM »
Nah not yet I plan for saturday to drop into billies as I went last thurs night after eating weetbix stoned and forgot it doesnt stay open for latenight...

Yes I assumed the framus would be like that, which is why I havnt been overly keen to try em out..
Ritchie BM stack is going for 4200 atm at BH sounds tempting and it did sound pretty phat when I played it awhile ago, although that was through 2x 2x12's? 2x10's?

Ill shall keep you's updated, for whatever reason that you care enough that I find "my"tone...Thanks heaps though lol

:headbang:

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 07:58:43 AM »
Nah not yet I plan for saturday to drop into billies as I went last thurs night after eating weetbix stoned and forgot it doesnt stay open for latenight...

Yes I assumed the framus would be like that, which is why I havnt been overly keen to try em out..
Ritchie BM stack is going for 4200 atm at BH sounds tempting and it did sound pretty phat when I played it awhile ago, although that was through 2x 2x12's? 2x10's?

Ill shall keep you's updated, for whatever reason that you care enough that I find "my"tone...Thanks heaps though lol

:headbang:

Well the lead channel on the Framus Cobra with a Maxon OD pedal can get a very brutal sounding saturated tone, but its not what I'm looking for, so never really looked into it.

There are a few videos of it on youtube, just do a search for Framus Cobra, and it is the first few that pop up.
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »
Ah k might look em up, I have shitty speakers on my computer so I feel looking at vids will do the amp no justice. Ill keep an eye out though.

Yer I can a mxr custom OD pedal that I used with the dual rec, so i prepared when the time comes, just trying to keep pedals on the downlow

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
Ah k might look em up, I have shitty speakers on my computer so I feel looking at vids will do the amp no justice. Ill keep an eye out though.

Yer I can a mxr custom OD pedal that I used with the dual rec, so i prepared when the time comes, just trying to keep pedals on the downlow

the new unearth album is supposedly 100% cobra. sounds like the lead channel boosted but not too sure what cab/speakers. but yeah hte cobras lead channel is much more saturated than the crunch...so its perfect for umm...leads :hmm:

this KUSTOM amp is meant to be a death metallers dream. the lead engineer for this is the same guy behind the peavey 5150/jsx etc.
i think its out in the US already or not.

http://www.doublecrossusa.com/main.asp

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:56:01 PM by JohnnyC »

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:27 AM »
Ok quick update, It looks like its gonna be the blackmore for the win..powerball sounded too undefined and will have to be cranked to get a good sound..not hard to do in my situation but yer..

Blackmore sounded awsome on the level I played it at so i cant imagine how itl sound cranked to jam levels.

Only problem...Shared EQ..
If I get the z5 footswitch can i assign different EQs to the channels and it stores them?

Also its rigged with 6l6's, id be keen to hear what the Blackmore would be like with El34's.

So atm it stands a Engl Bm and either matching cab or Vader if I can get my hands on one...

Discuss..(anything but 5150's, Dont care its not what I want so suck it up and be happy that you like the 5150...Sam)

Peace out  :headbang:

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »
There was a Ritchie Blackmore model for sale on here not long ago wasn't there?

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »
The Diezel Herbert has a store function for all settings so I have been informed.on all channels with no shared eq. Actually it has up to 128 stored presets in midi. Great if you have fuckwits who like to fiddle with your amp knobs whilst recording.
Also good if the engineer knows of this function & the dumbass on guitar starts fiddling with settings after spending hours getting it perfect cos he thinks he can get it better. Just save ea preset you like & then flick through em as the guitarist plays away.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »

the new unearth album is supposedly 100% cobra. sounds like the lead channel boosted but not too sure what cab/speakers. but yeah hte cobras lead channel is much more saturated than the crunch...so its perfect for umm...leads :hmm:

this KUSTOM amp is meant to be a death metallers dream. the lead engineer for this is the same guy behind the peavey 5150/jsx etc.
i think its out in the US already or not.

http://www.doublecrossusa.com/main.asp

Dude did you hear the 'unique riff' on the 'tight aggression' setting??
Sounds like sanitarium....

You gotta love tone test riffs!!

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2008, 04:01:15 AM »
I'm just curious if Engl can sort of do the same thing but with one of the many Engl footswitches you so conveniently have to purchase separate to the amp itself. The RB doesnt say anything about it and it has the wierd PC connection for the footswitch not midi so im not sure if it can.

Im gonna try and go in with my guitar and pedalboard to try the blackmore one more time and make sure I can be happy with only having 1 eq to use between 4 channels.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 07:47:01 AM »
Shared EQ is the fucking lamest gayest cheapest thing ever.

Does it have midi? If it does, you will be able to get around the EQ thing, but would then cost you more because you would have to get a multi-fx unit with midi so you could dial in different EQ's on different patches (and even then you would be using the EQ of the fx unit rather than the amp, which might not sound as good). It would still put me off just on principle.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
the shared eq sounds like a bummer but ive never played the BM only the powerball/fireball but i emailed someone who does owns a blackmore for ya RE: shared EQ and here are his comments and some settings for you to try out.

settings (V30s))

Gain: 4 (actives pickups) to 6-7 (passives pups)
Bass: 4
Mids: 6
Treble: 4
Presence:2
Bright and Contour in

with those settings channel 2 will be fairly crappy , and 3 is a tad bright, but 1 and 4 sound great. i spend 98% of time on channel 4 anyways.
also I find the treble and presence to be really sensitive on the gain channels, especially as you turn up the volume. I'd start with them at 0 and turn them up until you like what you hear. I generally keep the Lead volume low and the Master high (though there's not much difference either way).

take it with a grain of salt thou. best of luck

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »
Sweet, yeah it has mids C_christ, Im not gonna go into effects ect that will take away the point in me trying to keep my rig simple.
Having 1 eq to me seems only benificial in that there is less resistance from all the other eq wiring ect ect? I may be talking out my ass there though. Someone please correst me if I am.

Yeah ill have a play around soon enough and see what i come up with, I only really need clean and distortion, I also use a overdriven blues kinda sound but that wont be hard to get, as will a lead sound which i dont really use coz I dont solo in any of sins songs..yet.

A few reveiws ive read have said the eq is very sensative with the BM but thats ok with me.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »
The signal will only be going through 1 EQ per channel, so in terms of signal degradation/colouring, it makes no difference if there is one shared EQ or one EQ per channel.

I would think very hard about dealing with that kind of shit if I were you. If you do actually use more than one channel, I guarantee you'll eventually get shat off with the lack of versatility caused by the single EQ.

The only way I could imagine getting around it is by EQ'ing the channels of lesser importance by using pedals. And the easiest way to do that would be with a multi-fx (in the loop), because that way you can EQ for all the less important channels without having to use several pedals. This would obviously be easiest via MIDI (even if your amp doesn't have MIDI, you can get MIDI footswitch simulator things, I can't remember what they are called but they're only a few hundred bucks) as it only takes one button to change from one channel/EQ/effect, to a different channel/EQ/effect, rather than having to tapdance.

I still can't believe how cunty it is to make a 4 channel amp with only one EQ.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »

Tell me aboot it  >:(

I think midi may be the way around this but Im just gonna try it out first with my pedals and guitar and see if I can get something with the one EQ...Overdrive and distortion is ok because ill have them the same but the gain way less on the overdrive, clean is a bit harder as i like a bit more mids and less treble.
I'll work something out, if not my search will continue...

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »

Tell me aboot it  >:(

I think midi may be the way around this but Im just gonna try it out first with my pedals and guitar and see if I can get something with the one EQ...Overdrive and distortion is ok because ill have them the same but the gain way less on the overdrive, clean is a bit harder as i like a bit more mids and less treble.
I'll work something out, if not my search will continue...

isnt its essentially a 2 channel amp with 2 switchable modes?
cant you switch the channels and modes with the footswitch?
if the BM is midi you will be able to change its channels with a midi controller (along with other midi enabled devices eg effects)
but you wont be able to save and change between multiple eqs settings.

theres not many(if any) all tube mide enable amps that can do that,which is a shame...as you can change eqs and save multiple patches with rack preamps...
have you thought about going the rack preaamp/power amp route?
ENGL make rack preamps too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:34:19 PM by JohnnyC »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »
If it only allows midi board channel switching then that is fucked up.
However if it allows full midi recall programming like the Diezel Herbert, then you are laughing as it will store all the settings including eq. So if it allows for eq midi recall then one eq is more than enough. Midi usually allows for 128 presets. The entire saved setting (channel, vol, eq etc) is classed as one setting.  :headbang:

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2008, 02:36:05 AM »
theres not many(if any) all tube mide enable amps that can do that,which is a shame...as you can change eqs and save multiple patches with rack preamps...
have you thought about going the rack preaamp/power amp route?
ENGL make rack preamps too.

I have thought about it but i cbf going into that territory, too much fucking around on stage and its hard to transport as i only have a magna sedan  :P

Ah, ill update when i searched and tested some more.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:30 PM »
Hey simon is this the Rivera you were talking aboot?

http://www.rivera.com/products/knuckle/kr55-top.php

My only problem is that even though its loud enough and will cut through live, jamming with it may be fucked as Luke is insanly loud and lately ive had to crank the fender metalhead(500watt solid state) just to keep up, even then that thing still doesnt cut through the mix compared to jords randall(200watt solid state)

Also when I had the dual rec I had to crank that to get above luke, it pissed over everything in the mix tho and the dual rec is 100watts so im thinking the knucklehead may just not cut it while jamming...

If only I could try amps while jamming with band  >:(

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »
go the midi switcher/floor EQ option. itll be really cheap and easy, sound pretty much the same if your mainly sticking to hi distortion most of the time and be easier to transport than a rack setup.

The axcess midi switcher has easily been the single most valuable and worthwhile piece of guiitar related gear i have ever purchased (plus its about the size of a notepad!). Totally saves the need to have a complicated rack setup and works like a charm.

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 05:10:21 AM »
Hey simon is this the Rivera you were talking aboot?

My only problem is that even though its loud enough and will cut through live, jamming with it may be fucked as Luke is insanly loud and lately ive had to crank the fender metalhead(500watt solid state) just to keep up, even then that thing still doesnt cut through the mix compared to jords randall(200watt solid state)

Also when I had the dual rec I had to crank that to get above luke, it pissed over everything in the mix tho and the dual rec is 100watts so im thinking the knucklehead may just not cut it while jamming...

If only I could try amps while jamming with band  >:(

just keep in mind wattage and decibels are different measures; more wattage isn't necessarily louder, you just have more clean headroom before clipping occurs. also the clipping characteristics of valve and solid state amps are very different; a 50 watt valve amp more often than not will be alot louder when cranked than a much higher rated solid state. anyone who has ever played an old marshall 50 watt or vox ac 30 normally gets that surprise the first time! those are 'non master volume' amps though, and the ac30 is class A, so they're probably not the best example.
i'd recomend looking into the axcess as well....i have a similar thing ( a lehle d. loop) that is super duper handy...although the axcess has a lot more options.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:13:10 AM by 2112 »
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »
My first amp was a jcm800 100watt. I wish I had never sold that amp. Then I had a jcm800 50watt. The difference in volume ie db, was barely noticeable. That amp cranked, however it was extremely hard on tubes $$$$. Then I went solid state for some time, WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING. Sure it saved a lot on tubes, but FUCK ME it was NOWHERE NEAR as loud, the tone was ass & when I finally got my hands on a power amp that was as loud (& expensive) as a tube amp, it blew not one but 2 quads up.
When solid state amps hit clip, they clip square & fry speakers. When valve amps hit clipping they naturally compress & round the edges off. Hence more volume & no blown speakers.

As for the Rivera knucklehead 50. It should be plenty loud enough. It has the tone that will tear a nice mid eq'd hole right through the mix. It is like a vintage marshall but louder & better.

The guy who started Rivera used to work for Fender. Then spent years modding & improving Fender & Marshall amps. Eventually he went down the Soldano path & decided to use what he had learnt to build an amp with all the best characteristics of a Fender & Marshall, eliminating all the things that he & his customers disliked. He nailed it & The rest is history.

Seriously, go try the Rivera out. You will either love it or hate it. It is that kind of amp. It does what it does to perfection & does not pretend to be an amp that can do everything. It is a no compromise BALL TEARER.
Hence the list price new of around $4000. They are asking $2000.  :eyebrows:

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
Sweet, so that link is the Rivera your talking bout Simon?

I understand that tube is vastly different from solid state in power ect
Its more that our drummer is fucking loud as a cunt and if a dual rec cranked just sits over the top of him then im a bit weary of having to push a 50 watter to keep up. Like simon said ..tubes=$$$$

Where was the knucklehead again simon, Megamusic? memory is shot sorry.

Hard thing about this is I need 3 channels, clean, low gain and hi gain. Sins floats between the 3 quite often.

Ive played an ac30 and a couple orange amps and a 50watt jcm800 combo and yer they are loud as fuck, I just cant under estimate how loud our drummer is, which is why in a perfect world I could try out amps in the jamming situation  >:(

So many amps so little time.