Author Topic: AUSTRALIAN HEAVY METAL AWARDS  (Read 15229 times)

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
AUSTRALIAN HEAVY METAL AWARDS
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
For those of you who missed Haugys chat with organisers of the newly created Australian Heavy Metal awards (basically ARIAS for Metal) on Tues night, here is some information you and your band should be interested in finding out about.
Aside from the "Awards" aspect of it, it's a window of opportunity to be noticed Nationally and Internationally. Judging panel includes our own Glenn Dyson.

The Association for Australian Heavy Metal (AAHM) and the Australian Metal Awards (AMA) were formed to give Heavy Metal in Australia the support and backing it has lacked since it began to flourish during the 1980s.

AAHM and AMA is governed and operated by dedicated individuals who are passionate about this genre of music and have been heavily involved in the organising and running of events for both Australian and International Heavy Metal acts for a number of years.

AAHM and AMA?s objectives are to:
- provide support and backing to all Australian Heavy Metal bands / artists
- actively promote Australian Heavy Metal nationally
- reward and recognise the bands that have made a significant contribution to the Heavy Metal genre of Australian music.

For more information on the awards, sponsorship, media enquiries or band registration please click on our contact link.
http://www.australianmetal.com.au/

Offline deadnight_warrior

• WF Lieutenant
  • Andrew
    • View Profile
    • My video library of local and OS act's
Re: AUSTRALIAN HEAVY METAL AWARDS
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
I would think daz would be on the judging panel to for this website alone.  :hmm:

Also that comment that chick made in the drum media mag saying we don't buy enough of the local stuff and when the local band is on supporting a bigger band we're more out in the bar missing out on them is rubbish from what i see here.

Dyson  :rofl: he'll just vote for cuntscrape  :eyebrows:

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »
Pretty good idea, think categories like "Most popular merch" and "Best band name", kind of take away from the credibility that i would like to see these awards have.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:31:32 AM »

Also that comment that chick made in the drum media mag saying we don't buy enough of the local stuff and when the local band is on supporting a bigger band we're more out in the bar missing out on them is rubbish from what i see here.

I don't think that's rubbish at all. You see how many people turn out to see bands like Meshuggah, Killswitch, Trivium etc and sure the support bands usually get good responses, but then how many of the cunts that rock up and claim to be into the support bands actually then go to the local gigs that those support bands are playing? A very small percentage.

There are a lot of metal fans yet, not as many of them support local music like you would hope.

I think this is a great idea. It could finally create the exposure that a lot of bands deserve.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:56:49 AM »
I really like this idea. Really hope it takes off.

Already put up the banner on IGI's site and myspace :p

Offline The AAHM Team

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • australianmetal
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »
Pretty good idea, think categories like "Most popular merch" and "Best band name", kind of take away from the credibility that i would like to see these awards have.

Firstly, thank you to all of you who have gotten behind the Australian Metal Awards.

We believe that there is a huge amount of talent in Australia and we want to give the recognition and support that it deserves. Since starting this movement we have found out about the great work that the Western Front has done and would like to move this to a National scale.

Our judging panel will consist of people from all over Australia and people from all different backgrounds and we have done so in order to prevent any favoritism. We have yet to finalize all judges at this stage but details on those who have been confirmed can be found on our website www.australianmetal.com.au

We have put together 20 categories and each of these have been designed to give the bands the recognition they deserve and will give all bands (not just those on labels) the chance to be involved.

There reason the two categories above were chosen was so that we can get the attention and involvement of the younger metal fans to give each of the bands a greater exposure nationwide.

We do not feel that the letter from Nat in drum media was in anyway incorrect and this is a big reason as to why we have put this event together. We want all metal fans in Australia supporting the local scene and not just the devoted few who do make the effort.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. We hope to see you all participate.

Cheers,
The AAHM Team

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14:08 AM »
Since starting this movement we have found out about the great work that the Western Front has done and would like to move this to a National scale.

Our judging panel will consist of people from all over Australia and people from all different backgrounds and we have done so in order to prevent any favoritism.

In that case get Daz on the judging panel, he runs this site and the annual WF Awards for WA.

There reason the two categories above were chosen was so that we can get the attention and involvement of the younger metal fans to give each of the bands a greater exposure nationwide.

Pfft, just hand out some colouring-in books, and some crayons, that'll get 'em involved.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:16:05 AM by The Usurper »

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »

In that case get Daz on the judging panel, he runs this site and the annual WF Awards for WA.

+1

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:33:50 AM »
Our judging panel will consist of people from all over Australia and people from all different backgrounds and we have done so in order to prevent any favoritism.

In all seriousness, I would suggest that at least one of the judges hold some form of religious belief, preferably Christian.  I have no doubt that already wish to prevent as much favoritism as possible, but metal bands in Australia, who hold Christian beliefs, often get even less notice than the more regular bands. I'm not pushing an agenda (well, not anymore than I ever do) but rather bringing this up in the sake of fairness. There are a lot of good metal bands in Australia who are often sidelined because of what they sing about, rather than how they play. I'll be nominating a few of them myself, but having a member on the judging panel who is receptive, or at least truly neutral would allow some of these bands to get noticed based on their music, not their message.

Pfft, just hand out some colouring-in books, and some crayons, that'll get 'em involved.

Metal colouring-in books... I know know what IGI's next novelty item is going to be  ;D

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 02:52:27 AM »
There are a lot of good metal bands in Australia who are often sidelined because of what they sing about, rather than how they play. I'll be nominating a few of them myself, but having a member on the judging panel who is receptive, or at least truly neutral would allow some of these bands to get noticed based on their music, not their message.

I would imagine being "Neutral" is a pre-requisite for the judging panel.

If a band is good enough Christian or otherwise, then they will eventually get noticed.
Having a Christian judge is like saying they should have a Satanist judge, and there wouldn't be many of those around, and Gaahl sure wouldn't be lured away from his forest to be a judge, even if he was sponsored by a local wine manufacturer.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:04:28 AM by The Usurper »

Offline Anacrucify

• WF Colonel
  • Heathens!!!
    • View Profile
    • Lacrymae @ MySpace
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:22:49 AM »
Yeah you're right. We'd also need a wizard and a viking on the panel if we wanted to ensure every genre has it's voice.   

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Yeah you're right. We'd also need a wizard and a viking on the panel if we wanted to ensure every genre has it's voice.   

Yeah, good idea. At least they've already got a health care professional... Nurse Dyson!!!  :laugh:

What Viking bands do we have in Australia? I can only think of Screams of Chaos from back in the 90s.

Offline VaughanGF

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
I really like this idea. Sorry IG, but I don't agree with your comment about a Christian being on the panel. I see where you're coming from, but Christian bands need to be noticed for the music, like any other band.

Just my 2 cents. I hope the awards become a huge success.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 02:40:33 PM »

What Viking bands do we have in Australia? I can only think of Screams of Chaos from back in the 90s.

Armored Angel had that 'viking vibe' going on (musically if nothing else)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 02:43:33 PM by Stormrider »

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
 :hmm: the judge issue is hard one:
Christian judge: I agree with Vaughan, also they may favour christian bands.
Dysie: he's a promotor and as far as i know manages some bands, again not good (no offence Glen)
Dazz: from what I can tell likes and supports most bands doesn't play in any nor manages any, so he would be a good judge in my eye's. Obviously this is Australia wide not just W.A. I think guys like Dazz, the fella's from AM the host of the Brizzy Metal site. These people would satisfy me as judges. My 2 cents also

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
i also think there should be judges on the panel who will also represent more of the 'heavy rock' kind of australian metal bands and not just the 'brutal' bands because there is a high number of bands in that type of scene that make up a large chunk of the australian metal scene.

Im not talking of bands like cog or mammal, but bands with that type of sound that are at a smaller, more local level who may not sound like psycroptic, but play at just as many local 'metal' gigs and consider themseves part of the metal scene.

it will also help for these awards to reach a wider audience if a lot of different styles of heavy music are represented.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »
i also think there should be judges on the panel who will also represent more of the 'heavy rock' kind of australian metal bands and not just the 'brutal' bands because there is a high number of bands in that type of scene that make up a large chunk of the australian metal scene.

Im not talking of bands like cog or mammal, but bands with that type of sound that are at a smaller, more local level who may not sound like psycroptic, but play at just as many local 'metal' gigs and consider themseves part of the metal scene.

it will also help for these awards to reach a wider audience if a lot of different styles of heavy music are represented.

:'(  <-- This is you

Get Brutal or get Fucked  :laugh:

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:14:50 PM »

nah, I see his point.... the more "softcock" bands involved, the better REAL metals bands look when they win, because they beat twice the amount of competition.  :P
Mongeese like results

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 08:27:11 PM »
CHRISTIAN JUDGE = WTF??

SOFT METAL JUDGE = WTF??

I RECKON THE JUDGING PANEL IS A GOOD CROSS SECTION OF DUDES / DUDETTES WHO KNOW THEIR METAL SHIT AND WILL JUDGE FAIRLY ACROSS A BROAD GAMETE OF METAL VARIANTS. AT THE END OF THE DAY IT AINT A NOBEL PEACE PRIZE - ITS MORE ABOUT GOOD TIMES AND A GREAT REASON FOR A PISSUP!! ;D

THE REAL QUESTION IS - IS THERE GOING TO BE AN AWARDS NIGHT? IF SO, I RECKON IT SHOULD BE HOSTED BY THE DICK CLARK OF THE METAL SCENE - GLENN FUCKING DYSON  ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
I RECKON THE JUDGING PANEL IS A GOOD CROSS SECTION OF DUDES / DUDETTES WHO KNOW THEIR METAL SHIT AND WILL JUDGE FAIRLY ACROSS A BROAD GAMETE OF METAL VARIANTS. AT THE END OF THE DAY IT AINT A NOBEL PEACE PRIZE - ITS MORE ABOUT GOOD TIMES AND A GREAT REASON FOR A PISSUP!! ;D

Yeah, there will always be someone who is unhappy with the judges. However, its not possible to be unhappy about the metal we've got here!

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »

im sure that will end up being one of the award categories

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »
Looks like the organisers have some work to do to find the best judges.
At least this issue is getting people talking(posting) about the awards, has to be a good thing.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:04 AM »
I'll judge!

I have credentials..!

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 12:45:23 AM »
Looks like the organisers have some work to do to find the best judges.
At least this issue is getting people talking(posting) about the awards, has to be a good thing.

Maybe they already have a good mix of judges and everyone on here is jumping to conclusions. It would be a shame if the organisers thought we were all a bunch of whinging cunts. Perhaps people should be a little more positive about this.

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:12 AM »

Maybe they already have a good mix of judges
They have ! No problems there. But they are putting some more judges on the panel.

We have yet to finalize all judges at this stage but details on those who have been confirmed can be found on our website www.australianmetal.com.au

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:36:15 AM by The Usurper »