Author Topic: The Problem with Perth Metal  (Read 105499 times)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: The Problem with Perth Metal
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
If you were, you would have just shot yourself in the foot with that original post. So I'm going to go ahead and say yes, I am sure.

Enough ego-wank, you are not clever. I'm not here to talk about me, okay? If you want to resort to ad hominem attacks, don't bother posting, they will be ignored.

You just can't handle someone who can articulate an opinion which does not agree with yours. Fucking baby.

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
If you were, you would have just shot yourself in the foot with that original post. So I'm going to go ahead and say yes, I am sure.

Enough ego-wank, you are not clever. I'm not here to talk about me, okay? If you want to resort to ad hominem attacks, don't bother posting, they will be ignored.

No they won't, you already responded to several. In fact, they may be the only ones you responded to.
Why are you such a hypocrite?
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
You make a few relevant (if slightly arrogant) points. Is there a bit too much 'scene' backslapping and blind praise? Maybe, but its just support for a type of music that is already a minority in this city. Besides, would you really want WF to turn into something like Metal Archives forums??

Oh and for bands not sounding 'Australian'....Although I kinda get what you're saying, Im yet to find a metal band that has an 'Australian' sound that can be tagged (Ie Gothenburg sound).  Ive even heard Alchemist called 'european sounding'. I guess its all subjective.

Maybe Australian metal bands should add washboards, didgeridoos and those shaker things with beer bottle tops (Cant remember what they're called)  :hmm:

agreed.
http://www.muckyduckbushband.com/

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
wow what a dick

flaming troll is flaming!!

as for the 'core shit...calling dyschord core is a bit far off...listening to their cd the other day a mate said to me "sweet is this the new lamb of god" i said no its a perth band, and he siad "fuk yeah aussie, burn me that shit"

they have their 'core moment but id personally not class them as a 'core band

and uve not pointed out some of the truly exceptional bands out of perth in ther past few years...ala eleventh he reaches london with their absurdly awesome cd and insert with shiny bits!!

i think u should read the Bring Back To Life!! thread before making any calls on the modern perth scene

like i always say

u cant see where u going if u dont know where u've been

Offline Ben Mazzarol

• WF Major
  • Drums for Vespers Descent, Noctis & Chaos Divine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »

You just can't handle someone who can articulate an opinion which does not agree with yours. Fucking baby.

Best conclusion ever. HAHAHA

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »

... lawl.

Ignorance is bliss.

Back in ya box you blown-in tool.

Offline Ben Mazzarol

• WF Major
  • Drums for Vespers Descent, Noctis & Chaos Divine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »

Music can be analysed objectively - ignore the restrictions of your own taste and you can learn a lot.

Thats what I was going to say to you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:41:49 PM by Ben Mazzarol »

Offline Kalika

• WF Colonel
  • And Enjoy the Suffering...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »

Oooh, someone has their thesaurus sitting next to them so they can use every big word they know, huh?

My turn! My turn! "Big Words were indubidly proliferated per Sir Thomasical Gergantiunation II. Unequivocally there was unambiguous astronomical day when Gergantiunation excogitated the conglomerate erudition of paraphernalia. Notwithstanding he was insensate Gergantiunation conceived in envisageing deductive that diacritic conceivably permitted sonorousness perspicacious by commissioning morphemes that bagatelle posterior kumtux. A dexterous consummatent and stupid were consanguineous! "
BWB #9

If I Can Merge The Mundane And the Magic -- We'd Forge a New Unknown...

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
i think you meant:

"Le grandi parole indubidly sono state proliferate per sir Thomasical Gergantiunation II. Unequivocally l? erano il giorno astronomico inequivocabile in cui Gergantiunation excogitated l'erudizione del conglomerato dell'armamentario. Bench? sia Gergantiunation insensate ha concepito nel envisageing deduttivo che il segno diacritico in teoria ha consentito il sonorousness perspicace incaricando i morfemi quel kumtux del posteriore di inezia. Un consummatent dexterous e uno stupido erano consanguinei!"

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »
Go buy a Cuntscrape cd, a bottle of piss & then fuck something.
It might clear your head a little.

:rofl:

Dysie for PM!

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »
i think you meant:

"Le grandi parole indubidly sono state proliferate per sir Thomasical Gergantiunation II. Unequivocally l? erano il giorno astronomico inequivocabile in cui Gergantiunation excogitated l'erudizione del conglomerato dell'armamentario. Bench? sia Gergantiunation insensate ha concepito nel envisageing deduttivo che il segno diacritico in teoria ha consentito il sonorousness perspicace incaricando i morfemi quel kumtux del posteriore di inezia. Un consummatent dexterous e uno stupido erano consanguinei!"

大きい単語はそこのごとにThomasical Gergantiunation II. Unequivocally indubidlyだったGergantiunationが用品のコングロマリット的な博学をexcogitated明瞭な天文日増殖された。 彼がinsensate Gergantiunationだったにもかかわらず演繹的なdiacriticが多分形態素の依託によって明敏なsonorousnessをそのつまらない物の後部のkumtux与えたenvisageingで想像した。 手際よいconsummatentおよび愚かの血族だった!

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »
can i do my small words too?

pip

bog

fin

ax
fight like a girl club

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
You've made a few good points OP, I'll give you that, but why are you involved/working on a black/death/doom project, in a metal scene full of black/death bands, when you view them all as uninspired and boring? I'd think if you wanted to do something groundbreaking, you'd do something different.

I'm not the biggest fan of black/death metal around here, no where near it, so I'd have a small amount of bias, but I can imagine whatever you would do would sound pretty much the same as every other black/death band in Perth. How exactly do you envision your ideas and creations would stand out as superior?
I must slumber, per se.

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
You've made a few good points OP, I'll give you that, but why are you involved/working on a black/death/doom project, in a metal scene full of black/death bands, when you view them all as uninspired and boring? I'd think if you wanted to do something groundbreaking, you'd do something different.

I'm not the biggest fan of black/death metal around here, no where near it, so I'd have a small amount of bias, but I can imagine whatever you would do would sound pretty much the same as every other black/death band in Perth. How exactly do you envision your ideas and creations would stand out as superior?

+1

I was thinking the same thing, saw his ad over on Perthbands trying to recruit people for a BM band and thought WTF... I'm classing this as a troll attempt, its just reeks of stupidity.

Offline cheersvb

• WF Colonel
  • woo!
    • View Profile
    • cheersvb
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

Oooh, someone has their thesaurus sitting next to them so they can use every big word they know, huh?

My turn! My turn! "Big Words were indubidly proliferated per Sir Thomasical Gergantiunation II. Unequivocally there was unambiguous astronomical day when Gergantiunation excogitated the conglomerate erudition of paraphernalia. Notwithstanding he was insensate Gergantiunation conceived in envisageing deductive that diacritic conceivably permitted sonorousness perspicacious by commissioning morphemes that bagatelle posterior kumtux. A dexterous consummatent and stupid were consanguineous! "

A dolla says that took u an hour to write!!!!! :rofl:
6169 4 lyf

Offline cabba

• WF Colonel
  • Raider
    • View Profile
    • CTT
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
I think a 'healthy' discussion about this 'subject' is long overdue anyway

I agree.

Some of it is true (about the Australian thing).

I also agree. Bit stupid coming from me as I play in a band whos genre (questionably) absolutely doesnt belong in Australia. But I totally applaud bands such as Alchemist who manage to bring Australian themes into their music - and in doing so, they are one of the most successful Aus metal bands ever. It's very hard to do this though as we have a pretty boring history.. Scandinavians can have themes about warriors, but we're stuck with aboriginals  :P

Ultimately metal is important to me because it gives ordinary people the opportunity to be ambitious, creative and express themselves however they like. Regardless of the "problem" with Perth metal, all of the bands are regular aussies who have gotten off their arses and are doing something they enjoy & are passionate about. And this;
Whether you like Perth bands or not (clearly not), the fact remains a lot of them work extremely fucking hard and have all odds stacked against them because this place is full of fucktards like you. So to achieve any degree of success is highly commendable and should be applauded, not shat on, regardless of whether you like their music or not.

Can't really be bothered commenting on the "clique" and "core" topics.. some points I agree with, some points are stupid. Being a small city I think we should be appreciative of anyone who shows some interest in the scene, and shouldn't be concerned with "core" bands, as it makes live shows more feasable. I liked your last paragraph, provided some suggestions after all the criticisms. Hopefully something positive will come from this.

That's a bit presumptuous. Are you sure I'm doing nothing to contribute?

Fill us in...

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:27 PM »

... and those shaker things with beer bottle tops (Cant remember what they're called)  :hmm:

A Largerphone

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »
Some of it is true (about the Australian thing).

What about PPGBH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »

Listing influences from those genres doesn't necessarily mean I'm making death/black/doom metal. Notice the post mentions nothing about genres. Yet to update the Perth bands post.

So you listed a bunch of influences that sound nothing like the sort of band you wanna start? riiiiiiight....

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »

Listing influences from those genres doesn't necessarily mean I'm making death/black/doom metal. Notice the post mentions nothing about genres. Yet to update the Perth bands post.

Of course it doesn't, but typically when you list a range of influences within one or a few genres, you imply your potential band would be classified within that genre(s).

How many hip hop bands do you think are exclusively influenced by neoclassical death metal?
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

How many hip hop bands do you think are exclusively influenced by neoclassical death metal?

omg i love snoop doggy dismembered prosititute!!!

Offline Vanha

• WF Major
  • summoning the arrival of the ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
who is this dickhead and how often does he actually go to local gigs??

the perth metal scene is going a hell of a lot better then some states of Australia and has had some great bands and still does e.g. Nexus,Wardaemonic,Naetu,Furor,Malignant Monster,Bereavement,Mhorgl which is more then a lot of other areas of Australia
the only good human is a dead human

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 11:01:46 PM »
To clear this up.

Up to a few weeks ago I wanted to make black metal. After some time I realised it was pointless, and abandoned the idea. This realisation is part of my reasoning behind this post. Yet to update the Perth bands post.

As to the music I want to make, it is influenced in terms of atmosphere and spirit, not necessarily sound.

Well, intended or otherwise, you've just got yourself some fine publicity for your upcoming band/project, nice work.  :clap:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:03:23 PM by Senton »
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm