Author Topic: The Problem with Perth Metal  (Read 105101 times)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: The Problem with Perth Metal
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
To clear this up.

Up to a few weeks ago I wanted to make black metal. After some time I realised it was pointless, and abandoned the idea. This realisation is part of my reasoning behind this post. Yet to update the Perth bands post.

As to the music I want to make, it is influenced in terms of atmosphere and spirit, not necessarily sound.

So what you're saying is you have no musical talent, therefore you're excuse is that your band will have "spirit"? I'd say that was a load of wank, but that would imply that you are good as well. Instead I'll just say that is a cop out.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »
To clear this up.

Up to a few weeks ago I wanted to make black metal. After some time I realised it was pointless, and abandoned the idea. This realisation is part of my reasoning behind this post. Yet to update the Perth bands post.

As to the music I want to make, it is influenced in terms of atmosphere and spirit, not necessarily sound.

Totally, sound is overrated.

i look forward to your brand of powerpoint clip art ambience/metal.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
 :laugh:

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
who is this dickhead and how often does he actually go to local gigs??

the perth metal scene is going a hell of a lot better then some states of Australia and has had some great bands and still does e.g. Nexus,Wardaemonic,Naetu,Furor,Malignant Monster,Bereavement,Mhorgl which is more then a lot of other areas of Australia

Quantity is not quality, as is evident from the bands you just mentioned.

BAH !

Nexus own you & your mother  8) ... maybe even your dads !

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Noctarth

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2008, 11:27:16 PM »
You appear to be under the impression that every band in Australia exists solely to please you. Regardless of conviction, lyrical content or even genre what we have in Perth is many kick arse bands doing what they like and love. Who gives a fuck about what I think, what someone else thinks, or what the rest of Australia thinks of your music and/or your art? While bands are rehearsing, and recording, and gigging and working their arses off you're sitting behind your computer screen whingeing and carrying on like another 14 year old on this fucking forum. Don't like the Perth metal scene? Then make something of worth, or better yet fuck off all together.

And what's wrong? Didn't anyone in PERTHBANDS want a start a "Black Metal" band with you? Oh dear, well you'd best abandon that idea then. Move on and find something else that's more obscure and "challenging" and "intelligent", see if people give a fuck then.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:04:19 AM by Noctarth »

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2008, 11:31:46 PM »
OK.  Lets assume first up that this is not a local WFer with a hidden agenda or a random troller, and I will attempt to reply as if this topic is serious.   Let me start by saying thank you for including my band in those that you see as having value, I think so too.  ;D  In a post as long as your there is invariably some shit that is gonna piss people off and some they will agree with, so naturally some points you make actually strike me as having some accuracy, some don't.

Metal WAS once an underground subculture, a haven for the disaffected, the angry and those who didn't feel a connection to society.  To some people it still is, or should always be, but that is not the way the world works.  We can talk up Metal as being a lifestyle choice or a culture of its own, but as its root it is MUSIC.  Music reaches out and touches everyone differently, some hear it as a deep emotional message or an outpouring of rage or indignity.  Others hear a wail of despair, a cry for help, or just a way of venting all their rage and frustration.  (that's my reason for writing, if I don't vent my hate I could kill someone).  Others hear the power, the driving rhythms, the raw unrestrained energy and the feeling of empowerment that comes with it.  
And then there is the new breed of metalheads, those who only hear the music itself and not the message behind it, the flesh but not the soul.  
To those of us who look deeper into the Metal, who really Believe, we can't identify with these people, it's like we are the worshippers at our church every Sunday while they are the ones who go to church on Christmas day only, they seem hollow. foriegn, halfbreeds, invaders of our realm.  So I understand why you find them to be "posers" and "Normals", but we can't write them off as estraneous and unwelcome because we all started off as explorers in this dark new world, time will weed out the unMetal.  

The thing is, Metal originally came from working class, downtrodden origins, places where people see themselves being born, living and dying pointlessly.  That still is true today in some cases, but Metal is more than an artform, it is a living, morphing organism that evolves and mutates constantly, molding itself to the demographic around it.  In one area the raw hatred of the NYHC sound might best identify with the locals, while across town the less angry crowd might be stirred by Metalcore, Metal does not follow rules, it simply IS.  You mentioned Slipknot, not your cup of tea - cool with me - but they hail from Demoine, apparently THE most boring city in the US and so it is no wonder they styled themselves as freeks, Metal was and still is their lifeline to a world outside their humdrum existence.  Is it Heavy?  Not particularly.  Is it Metal?  If metal is indeed - as you said - an artform, they these guys are art incarnate, and thus Metal as fuck.  METAL is not METAL anymore, it is a monster that has grown beyond control and spawned into into coutless genres, sub-genres and sub-sub-genres, we respect and revere its creators and its origins but we have outgrown them and there is NO going back.  Adapt.

Why is it concidered so bad, so impure to have commercial success?  I am in a band which is so hard to categorise that it seems unlikely that we will ever see any real sucess, and I dream of the kind of exposure that bands like Machine Head enjoy.  Music of every kind is marketted to the masses by soulless corperations who care little about the music, only profits, right?  Wrong.  Talk to Dyson about that, see a bloke who exports, promotes and sweats metal because he loves it and believes in it.  He could make more from one 16 year old bimbo with a braindead pop number in a week than he is likely to see promoting metal over the next ten years.  Sales mean exposure.  Exposure means more sales, and on it goes like a loop.  I could give a fuck about the sales but the exposure is invaluable, that is what commercial success is all about.  I hate to break it to you, but Disembowlment sold their souls too or you wouldn't have even heard of them.  Accept it, there is no way around it.

You have objections with casual conversation at gigs and online because it is irrelevant to Heavy Metal, stop me if I'm misinterpretting things.  Let me use Daz as an example:  He runs a metal site.  He promotes metal bands.  He busts his ass to make gigs happen. He manages.  He does vocals in a metal band.  He goes to Europe annually to drown himself in Metal.  He IS metal in this state.  Yesterday we chatted... about Star Wars, no mention of metal was made.  What I am saying is that Metal is in our blood, it is our secret lover and our musical and artist need, but it isn't ALL we are about, why is wrong with people with a common interest discussing pointless things?  I agree that WF is chockfull of irrelevant topics, retarded posts and sometimes incredibly stupid people, but most of us know each other well and have exhausted the realms of metal discussion.  I LIKE reading that Nick and Linda have had a kid, or that my mate Haydz has a kid who collects He-man figurines because I KNOW these people, it is only outsiders who find it pointless.  Fix the problem, become ONE of US.

Although you might have made a pre-emptive strike on THAT bridge.   ;D

I have plenty more to say, check in with me later.  

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »
To clear this up.

Just out of interest dude, have you ever been in a local metal band yourself?? Have you ever written music?? Cos i have heard similar things from people before, talking about what they AIM to achieve and all this shit and yet those same people seem to always be all talk and no action...hence they get frustrated when nothing they had hoped for comes out of it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it would be cool to see what YOU could achieve for the metal scene before you bag out the people who are trying.

I like heavy metal, i have listened to heavy metal for many years...thats all i give a fuck about...If you listen to metal too, GREAT have a beer and smile, it aint that hard.

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »
Your initial post raised a few points which I can agree with to a certain degree, but, the majority of what you have written sounds to me like  tantrum thrown because you aren't able to find what you are looking for. Your view is so one track and narrow minded, has it ever occurred to you, that just because you don't appreciate the work of  a particular band or genre, it doesn't mean that it is any less valid.
Perth has a great selection of skilled bands and musicians across the genres of metal who work fucking hard, and for you to only have unconstructive negativity so say about all of those that you mentioned is extremely arrogant, and rude.
If you don't like what the Perth metal community has to offer, why even waste your time and energy with going to gigs and voicing your opinions on here. What you're seeking obviously isn't here and you clearly don't like what is on offer, so why not just leave it?
I ate one anchovy. And that is why i did not eat two anchovies.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
 I LIKE reading that Nick and Linda have had a kid, or that my mate Haydz has a kid who collects He-man figurines because I KNOW these people, it is only outsiders who find it pointless.  Fix the problem, become ONE of US.

Erik

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Ancient Dawn don't make music for you or anyone else. We make music that we enjoy. If other people like what we do, that's great.

Offline Vanha

• WF Major
  • summoning the arrival of the ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
Ancient Dawn don't make music for you or anyone else. We make music that we enjoy. If other people like what we do, that's great.

well said Lord Vauld
the only good human is a dead human

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:50 AM »
Christian "metal"(again, not Metal), or badly-designed band logo g-strings (the people who do care are precisely that - nobody).

HUZZAH!!! I got a mention  ;D

Bereavement (emo)
This made me laugh!
Spithre
Spithre hey... you really picked a rather obscure band there. What do you actually know about them? If anyone is interested in them, IGI has their demo for sale  :P

It is violent; it represents war, elitism, evil, reverence of death, amorality, nobility, tyranny, dominance, oppression, intolerance of the weak and stupid - the balancing forces of life, the things we deny with our modern world. It is not politically correct - it is apolitical. It is our answer to the modern world, the disease of Christianity and other slavish religions, it demands a return to what is real and eternal and natural in men
Interesting idea... so, which if the founding metal bands held those qualities?

Granted, you all sound like Australian bands
From what I've learnt, our metal does have a distinctive sound, but like our accents, we tend not to notice it ourselves.

Intelligent people are not exempt from stupidity.
Stupid people are exempt from intelligence though.

Offline aborted

• WF Colonel
  • THE CUBE OF HATE ETERNAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »
The last thing this guy's qualified to give a tour of is reality! ... or, in this case, metal.
the bucket of vengeance

Offline BAGMELTER

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • GROTESQUE
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »
let us know when u finaly start a band so we can lol at your shitness cos im sure you will never amount to nothing. so keep bagging every band that tries to do something in this city cos its all you CAN do. and ill continue to write the music I want to hear not YOU.

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »
fucken shit, not worth me ranting.
hey douche, stop being a douche!

Offline MirrorMirror

• WF Major
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:28 AM »
lol what a cunt!
May my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death I will smile.

Offline metal_munchkin

• WF Major
  • :)
    • View Profile
    • Facialbook
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »
let us know when u finaly start a band so we can lol at your shitness
hahaha yeah, id really love to hear youre awesome unique band :)
"Mr Murphy, would you come over by the board?"

"No, that's alright. I'll take the zero."

Offline metal_munchkin

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • Facialbook
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2008, 01:01:31 AM »
This stinks of shit stirring.
If not, like far too many people in this world, you obviously take life far too seriously.
Go buy a Cuntscrape cd, a bottle of piss & then fuck something.
It might clear your head a little.

HAHAAHAHAHHAHA.
good man :D

Offline metal_munchkin

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • Facialbook
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2008, 01:53:02 AM »
The Problem with Perth Metal

It is a clique, a hobby, and not even a subculture.
it is a hobby, fuckhead. we go to gigs to have something called FUN. a perception which you clearly do not grasp if you have the time to write such a big fucking whinge, about something that clearly you shouldnt be involved in.

"The scene is infected with leftists, normals, hypocrites, posers, scenesters, etc. - this is too apparent on the Western Front forums."
i guess youre one of them too, posting and lurking around for 9 whole years. Oh and speaking of hypocrites, when is your next gig? Never, so really that was a fucking bad choice of words there cockbreath.

It's even more unsettling to know that the moderaters permit and encourage this stupidity, and that supposed musicians engage in it. But then, this makes perfect sense when considering the poverty of idea and spirit which defines "Perth Metal".
well, why not start your own fucking metal forum and just ban anyone who talks off topic about metal??

Our bands reek - they are uninspired and bland, unspirited, weak - they don't even deserve cover band status.
sorry?? whats your band called again? i must have missed it, in that long rant of yours.

I would not call them Metal bands (Metal having something of a warrior spirit which is yet to be identified in the music of Perth bands)
Ahahaha, warrior spirit. fuck off, sounds like youre trying to be a viking or something. Even if they did have ?warrior spirit? im sure you?d have a whinge about how they?re trying too hard.

I don't need to mention Neverborn, Voyager, Enforce, etc. as I think their value is evident, and they are under no illusions as to what they do.
crazy fucking Voyager fans..

No doubt you feel important when you wear your Metal clothes in public, you feel as if you are a part of something that "normal" people will never understand, ignorant to the fact that nobody outside of your club cares about your "screaming crap".
Probably not, but that?s a good thing, we don?t want fuckheads like you coming into our scene trying to ruin it for us, trying to put us down when we all enjoy and have fun with what we do.

Most people would view it with the same disdain and embarrassment as when you show them your comic book collection - does Metal means as much to you as that? Does it sit beside your Star Wars figurines?
Star Trek actually, Jez sits his next to Star Wars.

Another confronting fact is that you all seem to welcome "-core" music - at any rate, you accept it. If you don't know what's wrong with Dyscord and Fool The World, you have no idea of what Metal is.
The only thing I agree with. Too bad you forgot the biggest whores of core.

Metal is not throwing a tantrum
Gtfo then? Because that?s what youre doing.

it is commercial, derivative, novelty trash created by people who think metal is "crazy, angry music".
Lol angry. Uhhh? we are probably one the most peaceful ?sub cultures? ive seen. The only ?anger? that goes around is when we get fucking noobs first into the scene and this is what they believe metal is (yes, I was referring to myself back in the day). We all get absolutely shit-faced?and still no one starts a fight. Where as if you go to Amps, fuck there is some metro cunts fighting every weekend?and all we do is stand around and laugh.

and natural in men (it is a masculine expression; female participants are no exception - Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower, Lori Bravo from Nuclear Death, etc. are expressing masculine qualities).
And shit music. Funny how nuclear death's early stuff was somewhat grindCORE. I don?t know if im mistaking but further down youre having a whinge about anything core. Which I hate anything core, but youre whinging about it.

We look elsewhere for inspiration; this shows in almost everything we produce - everything in Australian music wants to be Britpop, or Eurotrash electro, or indie, funk, blues, jazz, folk, or some supposedly "unique" and "clever" combination of the above - something else other than what can be inspired by being here; in general an adoption and bastardisation of things that occurred naturally elsewhere, rather than a refining and development of those foreign influences.
Every band has inspiration from another band? some more than others, but still, idiot, theyre all inspired by something.  How can they not sound ?foreign?? should they be singing with an ?aussie? accent while cooking a bbq and wearing thongs on stage???

The rest of you want to be Norwegian or Polish (Naetu, Ancient Dawn), or Swedish (Pathogen) or American (Grotesque).
I see what you did there, you just threw each band into foreign country categories depending on how their name sounds. Clever!! Lol I don?t know how they SOUND like certain countries.

Metal is about leading.
And not having massive whinges like this one.

this idiot has annoyed be, just purely because of the disgusting amounts of hypocrisy he has produced... bagging everyone else out, and not being in a band himself.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 01:56:14 AM by metal_munchkin »

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2008, 02:07:10 AM »
best tr0ll 3v3r

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »
I cannot begin to describe how thoroughly entertaining this thread is.
Thank you to watsisname who started it, and everyone who has participated.

Now i'll step back and let you all continue, for hopefully a few more pages yet.

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »
I really wish you all the best with your project dude, I hope it comes together quite quickly and you actually get a gig.

Ill even come down to check ya shit out, in fact let me know when its on and ill bring the whole of the metal community to celebrate the original and exciting music you plan on playing.

I tell ya what, since you sound like such a worldly and easy to get along with guy, ill make sure we all clap once you've finished the set and give ya a big slap on the back and congratulate you on blowing our minds.

Il even make sure I buy you a nice big glass of your drink of choice. Nice glass of shut the fuck up perhaps?

If its too hot in the venue ill even get them to turn on the man conditioning for ya.

Then you can sit me down and explain why any of us should take anything you say seriously and convince us not set your house on fire while you and your family is asleep.

Also while I'm there ill let you know how much of an impact you and your band has made on the world.

Ill also ask questions like:

1.) What distribution will you have for your material now that you've just pissed everyone off, in which everyone is friends or knows the biggest supporters of Perth Metal?

2.)What sort of crowd do you think you will pull when the whole Perth Metal community would rather see you hanging by the flesh of your cervix, just remember, not everyone in the PMC goes on Wf, but word does go around, and you know how much we "metro core loving gossip monger's" love a good rant

3.) Why are you so fucked up?

4.) Are you ok with people laughing in your face and shitting on your family name?

5.) Are you ok with the option of killing youself when you realise how big of a failure you are?
 If you need help refer to the "breakups suck" topic

6.)See those people over there standing and laughing at you?

7.) They hate you and your existence, did you know that?

8.) Is it hard to reproduce asexually?

9.) Are you that big of a fruitcake or are you just really disappointed that you failed the Man-0f-War guitarist auditions?

10.)Why is it that when Nihilist fucks an empty bucket, he claims its tighter than fucking your mum? LOl had to throw in a mum joke.

and finally i may ask

11.) Dude you do realise you've just fucked yourself over with anything to do with anyone ever, for Id say a good 3 or 4 lifetimes.

Anyway I wish you all the best in getting through life. You'll need it.

:headbang: Stay metal, whatever genre your into anyway.

Offline metal_munchkin

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • Facialbook
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2008, 02:42:21 AM »
8.) Is it hard to reproduce asexually?

ahahahaha

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2008, 02:44:17 AM »
turn on the man conditioning for ya.
Intentionally or not, that is one of the best puns I've seen in ages!

5.) Are you ok with the option of killing youself when you realise how big of a failure you are?
 If you need help refer to the "breakups suck" topic
See, I know starting that topic would come in handy down the track ;)
9.) Are you that big of a fruitcake or are you just really disappointed that you failed the Man-0f-War guitarist auditions?

Pure Masculine Metal!!

10.)Why is it that when Nihilist fucks an empty bucket, he claims its tighter than fucking your mum?
That is seriously nasty, especially when you consider that wikipeadia entry about Nihilist  :rofl:

[/quote]

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:20 AM »
*yawn*  Next troll, please ...