Author Topic: The Problem with Perth Metal  (Read 105423 times)

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
Re: The Problem with Perth Metal
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »

I LIKE reading that Nick and Linda have had a kid, or that my mate Haydz has a kid who collects He-man figurines

and that Dishman has prune balls

HAHAHA PRUNE BALLS ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »
^ ...wait Nihilist,...here it comes..... HAHAHAHAHAHA  :rofl:
Like some have pointed out already, envesse eludes to the idea that a lot of the WA acts he mentioned are striving to please the so-called "metal community" as an entity. He is clearly not aiming to do this with his upcoming project (right?). So why should they? Most people I know in bands play the music they enjoy and like to hear. If someone else likes it, that's just a bonus. Don't like Fool the World and Dyscord? You think they are gonna like your music, envesse? Doubtfully. Oh, but that's the way you want it, right?  8)

He's clearly into a certain music style (see the influences in his Session Musicians Wanted post and bands referenced in the post) but like a lot of us, observes metal from a broad angle (demonstrated by his awe-inspiring categorical knowledge of music sub-genres  :clap:), therefore, even though a lot of the WA bands mentioned fall under the loose category of "metal", the fact that they don't live up to his particular ideals and vision *cough* of metal should be, makes them worthless/shit/plagiarism and so on.
Essentially, you could take the whole "Perth" thing out of the equation and say "A band that doesn't sound the way I like music to sound, sings about topics that I don't feel constitute as "metal", emulates bands of a certain geographic region other to the one they reside in, plays music as a "hobby" and is 100% fucking serious, and generally does not fit my hackneyed view of what metal ought to be is not a worth while act".
The first post was an entertaining read and definitely raises some valid/interesting ideas, but it's an opinion and nothing more and if it is to be taken as some sort of doctrine then that is hilarious. If this guy came up to me on the street and dropped his fat bag of knowledge of all things metal and not-metal, I would be so fucking bored.

Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2008, 06:36:41 PM »

every post longer than 3 sentences is too long
fight like a girl club

Offline Choppah

• WF Lieutenant
  • GRO-FUKIN-TESQUE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
how are you you gutless cunt. think your king and god sitting behind your fukin computer. i tell you what.... show your face and let it known who you are and you will see how brutal the perth metal scene is when theyr scraping you of the bottom of theyr shoes. i bet your a young skinny emo faggot with no friends, arent you. my advice to you is delete your profile of WF and dont come to gigs. we dont want metro emo faggot cunts stinking up our shit, ya dig......cunt

Offline MirrorMirror

• WF Major
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
can you dig it!
May my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death I will smile.

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

Spithre
Spithre hey... you really picked a rather obscure band there.

Spithre are awesome

got a signed copy of there cd

wish they would make moar musik

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2008, 12:52:36 AM »
how are you you gutless cunt. think your king and god sitting behind your fukin computer. i tell you what.... show your face and let it known who you are and you will see how brutal the perth metal scene is when theyr scraping you of the bottom of theyr shoes. i bet your a young skinny emo faggot with no friends, arent you. my advice to you is delete your profile of WF and dont come to gigs. we dont want metro emo faggot cunts stinking up our shit, ya dig......cunt

Hahaha that HAS to be Simon.  So much righteous rage, so little punctuation.  ;D

I wanna be Simon when I grow up.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Vanha

• WF Major
  • summoning the arrival of the ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2008, 12:56:39 AM »
So you are implying that none of the bands in perth sound like an "Australian" metal band? Well who would want to sound like a Yothu -Yindi death/black metal band u fuckhead
the only good human is a dead human

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
^ Haven't we already been through this?... PPGHB of course.  :P
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
Well who would want to sound like a Yothu -Yindi death/black metal band u fuckhead

Who wouldn't??

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
^ Haven't we already been through this?... PPGHB of course.  :P

Exactly... best fucking band EVER! Period.

Well who would want to sound like a Yothu -Yindi death/black metal band u fuckhead

Who wouldn't??

QFT
I must slumber, per se.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2008, 02:09:33 AM »
Envesse metal is what it is, just listen to what you like & when a band asks for your opinion give honest costructive feedback.

I havn't the time to backslap bands I don't get into & I have NEVER been attacked by any band when giving constructive critisism, whether they ask for it or I approach them. I have however been thanked for my opinion. Most bands appreciate critsism if it is constructive, however most have NO TIME for elitist whinging, whining & bitching.

There is not any single band that I have seen in memory where I havn't been able to think "That could/would have been better if". Doesn't mean that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the show though.

I agree that there is WAY too much FALSE back patting going on. However that is human nature. Suck it up.

As for the band I am in. We play what we like & we are not concerned one iota for the people who don't like us at all. In fact I would rather people are just honest & say they don't like us & I might out of curiosity ask why. We definitley want to hear from those who like or kinda like us but think we could do better. A good suggestion is a good suggestion.
We do what WE LIKE, suggest something to us WE LIKE & we will probably end up doing it. Not because you like it but because we like it.

I agree with Jez's long rant so won't repeat what he has already said.

As for most of the bands being shit. The Perth metal scene does reflect the multicultural city it is. We are not a city of one or 2 styles of metal. In fact it is hard to find more than 2 bands that sound the same. Which I fucking love.
So your point is pointless. Our metal scene does reflect our Australian way of life.

As for nearly all the bands being unorigonal. If you go anywhere in the world it is the same. Less than 1% of bands ever make it. They are usually the ones who come up with a new origonal idea. Most of these bands would not have made it however if there was no scene full of unorigonal talented bands to create a scene in their city in the first place.
Unorigonal talented bands have their place in supporting the origonal bands that would find it damn near impossible to  build a decent fan base. The less origonal talented bands bring the crowds through the door because they already sound like bands we know & love. This gives the more origonal bands an audience to play to & over time grow into. Humans are creatures of habit & are naturally wary of the unknown. Attract people with something they know to show them something new.

By shitting on the less origonal bands you are defeating the chances of actually getting what you are looking for.

Also most members of origonal sounding bands cut their teeth playing in less origonal bands. It is a process that you obviously have little or no understanding of. Although you have some good points, you have expressed them in such a way that if implemented will only damage perth metal & do little if any good.

If you really want to see some origonality injected into the scene, the I am willing to talk to you face to face about it.
My name is Simon & I play in a band named Combined Deathtoll. If you ask for me using that info @ a local gig it won't take long for someone to point me out to you.

If however you are an internet troll that will only discuss & stir shit behind a screen then I do have something Australian for you.
HARDEN THE FUCK UP.  ;D

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2008, 02:16:13 AM »
Beautifully said  :clap:
I ate one anchovy. And that is why i did not eat two anchovies.

Offline The Dark Gospel

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • The Pit FM
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2008, 03:05:36 AM »
To everyone that has replied to this person (me now being one of them),
You have all contributed to his exact point.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, in accordance to this most people have seemed to "fire up" and create their own standpoint on the matter. Throughout this "article" (as it be) many different viewpoints have discussed.

I do agree that the metal scene here in perth does tend to somewhat cling onto other styles. but hey, they are our influences. But the question is, does Perth have its own metal identity, maybe, maybe not? Does he have a point with this article? maybe, maybe not? Should we be discusseing such an issue in a defencive stance, or embrace the point and discuss it?

All together, everypoint that has been made does stand in a valid manner. This discussion has become an attack. Should we just view it as Perth Metal? As we look through our favourite band Biographies we can see they all drew off different influences, keep in mind we do live in a large musical world, perth being a VERY SMALL percentage of this. My own opinion is that people will always make what they love, they will draw off their favourite bands and develop their own styles from there. The sad factor of this is, not many bands here in perth stay together long enough to develop such an original sound.

Every individual does hold a different standpoint.
I guess the underlying question is.......
Does the Perth metal scene create such an impact that everyone should look at what we produce? Whether it be other states or countries?
We are young and such an isolated city, sometimes exposure is all we can wish for.

In conclusion, Metal is such a broad genre, the conflict between styles is extravigant and unnecessary.
A Sub culture of "core" has become a taget and grown to be hated within our "scene" yet we still see bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Whitechapel, Abigail Williams, and other "core" bands find their own sound (what some may percieve as a hoax) and lift to the highest level of the Metal musical world.

Who cares what others think, like what sounds good to you and do not be afraid to express it.
THE PIT FM!
The #1 Metal, Punk, Hardcore and Alternative Online Music Radio in Australia.
www.thepitfm.com

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2008, 03:42:35 AM »
The problem with perth metal is you cunts take it to seriously and bawww too much. close thread now please. I want to see more posts about how snails eat than this shit.

Offline Noctarth

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2008, 04:28:19 AM »
Then fuck off and go to the other thread.

"We paiiiid for blooooooood"

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2008, 06:16:37 PM »
Haha... :rofl:

This thread needs more RAGE!

I must slumber, per se.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
Do you have any idea how disappointing this thread became when I realised it was basically about how sanitised the black metal scene in Perth is? Who cares about black metal? Fuck.

By the way, you're all wrong.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:17:06 AM by nihilist »
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »

^man, i agree
at first i took it as a kind of "step it up, guys" pep talk to make perth bands better

but hey

more cats pls
fight like a girl club

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »
Do you have any idea how disappinting this thread became when I realised it was basically about how sanitised the black metal scene in Perth is? Who cares about black metal? Fuck.

Well looky here, the punctuation and spelling Nazi finally drops the ball. 

Offline deadnight_warrior

• WF Lieutenant
  • Andrew
    • View Profile
    • My video library of local and OS act's
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »
Who the heck is "PPGHB"

I'm not gonna say any think cause i'll be repeating what most peole have said.

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
Not much that hasn't already been said, but i will question something you mentioned a lot in your post that no one really seemed to address.

You talk about how Australian metal sounds like european/american metal, and therefore nothing great. New styles of metal are not easy to make, particulary in a world where everything spreads so fast that trying to build on something is so hard because its already been done by thousands of bands. But look back to the 80's, bands like Thou Shalt Suffer came out, and sounded very american, and they didn't want that, so they changed, that took years to develop black metal, there really is not many areas left to branch into that dont sound like vomit (and yes, what i just said was very inspired but lords of chaos, w/e). So if they took a few years to develop black metal, in a time when there was only a handful of metal genres (death, thrash, power, heavy etc) how long is it going to now? and how is it going to progress? by people playing metal and eventually (and hopefully) developing their own style, the ones who are nothing but big rip off bands will fade away within a few years.

Also, are you by any chance one of the guys who occasionally shows up to local gigs in your LLN leather jacket?

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »
Do you have any idea how disappinting this thread became when I realised it was basically about how sanitised the black metal scene in Perth is? Who cares about black metal? Fuck.

Well looky here, the punctuation and spelling Nazi finally drops the ball. 

It's far from the first time. :D

I consider typos far more acceptable than not knowing how to spell in the first place, though.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Who the heck is "PPGHB"

Petrol Powered Goon Bag Holocaust  ;D

Offline schist