Author Topic: The Problem with Perth Metal  (Read 105473 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Re: The Problem with Perth Metal
« Reply #425 on: October 09, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »
I think this quote from Theodore Roosevelt sums it up perfectly, to the people that want to whinge without knowing enough, and yet don't have the guts to try and make any attempt to improve what they think is wrong..
(and is a good motto for life in general):

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 09, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
Don't wanna light any fires around here, but you'd be surprised at how many metalheads from Perth that post on alot of other metal forums that don't think much of the local scene. It's not a problem though obviously since they aren't starting flame wars or expressing their opinion on WF. I think it's a good thing that the Perth scene has their close tight knit group of individuals that are there to defend their local scene, every scene needs it :).

I don't care about Queef or his ramblings all I know is that he does have top notch taste in metal (especially from his taste in demilich, watchtower, portal(AUS), etc). Of course, people are getting worked up because of differing opinions. In the end, you should be playing or listening to metal not to impress anyone, but for yourself, playing or listening to music you enjoy. There are going to be critics everywhere, and it's obviously going to hurt when ever they open their mouth. Instead of getting worked up and kicking up a fit, perhaps take such with a pinch of salt? Or maybe, just don't care? You can only get better at what you do.

Just my 2c.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 09, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »
You can only get better at what you do.

Like Metallica?
Mongeese like results

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 09, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »
Just like Metallica   :P

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 09, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
yeah Lars' technique has improved significantly over the years and the best thing is that he doesn't do it for the money :)
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 09, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »
I think this quote from Theodore Roosevelt sums it up perfectly, to the people that want to whinge without knowing enough, and yet don't have the guts to try and make any attempt to improve what they think is wrong..
(and is a good motto for life in general):

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

I have a more to the point quote for Queef. Its by a man named William 'Axl' Rose...

"Why dont you just.... daa na anaa ana naaa... FUCK OFF!"
Mongeese like results

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 09, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
yeah Lars' technique has improved significantly over the years and the best thing is that he doesn't do it for the money :)

Seriously, who pounds on trashcans for the money :P

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 09, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »

Seriously, who pounds on trashcans for the money :P

If someone paid me, I would.
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 09, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
I'd live in a trashcan if someone paid me money.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »
Don't wanna light any fires around here, but you'd be surprised at how many metalheads from Perth that post on alot of other metal forums that don't think much of the local scene.

No one cares what they think, or say or do. If they want to come and participate in the local metal scene then alls well and they are welcome. If they want to post of some forum other than here about how crap or good the local scene here is - thats their problem. Those who DONT come and experience / enjoy the abundance of awesome bands and people in the local scene are the losers in the end - not us. Its not like we give a fuck and to be honest - the less fuckwits that prattle on about how much they love metal while not wanting to associate with their own local bretheren, the better! :P

It's not a problem though obviously since they aren't starting flame wars or expressing their opinion on WF. I think it's a good thing that the Perth scene has their close tight knit group of individuals that are there to defend their local scene, every scene needs it :).

HAHA.... i distinctly remember you slagging off WF on FB. What's changed mate - embracing the local scene now that you have a local band in it? Good to see you've had a change of heart - we're not all bad are we? :P

I don't care about Queef or his ramblings all I know is that he does have top notch taste in metal (especially from his taste in demilich, watchtower, portal(AUS), etc).

HAHA..... just because he says he likes "good" bands, playing video games and licking dogs assholes doesnt justify him being an attention seeking faggoty andy. Who the FUCK is he (or anyone) anyways that "we" have to justify the merits of our local metal scene to him? SHEESH!!! :P
HAHAHAHA

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 09, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
When have I slagged WF on facebook?  :-\ I have certain things I don't agree on regarding the scene but it doesn't bother me. As far as announcing it on facebook or whatever, I never have and never will. Those are my opinions to keep to myself. Do you even know who I am on facebook?

In regards to people who don't care about the local scene but still listen to metal. There's always going to be people like this, these are the ones that turn up for international bands that they like and leave after the band finishes playing and have no friends in the scene, it is their own fault for not rocking up to support their local brethren but obviously they could care less. Question is, would YOU rock up to support and listen to stuff that you don't like? Probably not.

Thing is, what it all boils down to is that Queef is a troll, who does enjoy the attention. But lately, when he does put up a valid argument which is that he doesn't like the bands it seems that people get defensive and call him a sucky human being for not liking the local scene. Can't force someone to, their loss I guess?  :-\
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:42:47 PM by erecshyrinol »

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 09, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
It only natural that the muso's here get pissed about it, they are busting their balls to get shit done and dusted, its not always easy.

Point is, if your a metal muso you gotta give it a go.

one thing you can be sure of, sitting around doing nothing will get you just that.

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
Show me a Perth band that's playing super fast thrash or grind with influences like terrorizer, repulsion, napalm death, dark angel, nuclear assault

Come on dude..

Suffer, Extortion, Agony, Vincent Price... Maybe the influences don't exactly match up but I know at least 3 of those bands listen to a lot of Napalm Death / Terrorizer and you can hear it in the music.. Of course these bands aren't really part of the metal scene though.

First two are two of my favourite bands in Perth - not really metal though.
God no..

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »
I'd live in a trashcan if someone paid me money.

you must be well paid

Offline Queef

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »
I think a lot of people have got their balls in a bind in this topic.

If you had have relaxed in the first place you wouldn't be suffering the excrutiating pain of testicular torsion and facing the prospect of having one of yer nutz cut off.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 09, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
When have I slagged WF on facebook?  :-\ I have certain things I don't agree on regarding the scene but it doesn't bother me. As far as announcing it on facebook or whatever, I never have and never will. Those are my opinions to keep to myself.

Hmmm dunno about that, but im afraid you've got me there as i cbf trawling through months of status updates just to prove my point. No biggie ... you win! ;D

Do you even know who I am on facebook?

Sure i do mate, you're the second oriental chap from khariot..... bit hard to miss! ;D

In regards to people who don't care about the local scene but still listen to metal. There's always going to be people like this, these are the ones that turn up for international bands that they like and leave after the band finishes playing and have no friends in the scene, it is their own fault for not rocking up to support their local brethren but obviously they could care less. Question is, would YOU rock up to support and listen to stuff that you don't like? Probably not.

I dont understand what your point is, but i'll take a stab at it. Presuming you mean that they COULDN'T care less about the local scene - thats fine - they can be as involved or uninvolved as they like. The difference between them and our mate "beefy qeefy" is that they aren't going out of their way to come to a LOCAL METAL SCENE website / gig / etc just to tell us how crap we really all are and demanding we prove otherwise! :P

As for rocking up to stuff that i dont like - of course i wouldn't knowingly (although i have unknowningly done so in the past PLENTY of times). The difference is that i at least bothered to seek and check out the existence of a local scene to determine if it was worth my time or not. To that extent theres plenty of SHIT bands that i wouldnt waste my time going to see e.g. Khariot (HAHA...JUST JOKES... i actually think your bands one of the best new ones in perth in years), but in the same breath im not going to make a stupid blanket statement such as "all perth .... in fact all AUSTRALIAN bands are shit" either :P.....

Thing is, what it all boils down to is that Queef is a troll, who does enjoy the attention. But lately, when he does put up a valid argument which is that he doesn't like the bands it seems that people get defensive and call him a sucky human being for not liking the local scene. Can't force someone to, their loss I guess?  :-\

You're right there, but he seems determined to force his faggoty andy opinion down our throats so can you blame people for ridiculing him even when he attempts a half baked "valid" argument? :P
HAHAHAHA

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 10, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
I second that

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
Touche Mr Nouraie, touche.  :)

Offline wrathchild

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
I've noticed that you've stopped posting in CAPS LOCK SOD!!!!

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 10, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »
Haha yeah i phased that out ages ago :P

Hows the tshirt and vinyl treating ya mate? ;D

HAHAHAHA

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #445 on: October 10, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »

Hear hear!  :clap:

Musician

Offline Crud

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
90's sludge/stoner.

Why only 90s? Weedeater 16 tons is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:23:40 PM by Crud »

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
Seriously, who pounds on trashcans for the money
Not as my main priority, but Its paid off half my house thus far, so Id say its been working pretty well for me :)

Offline Geeks

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Defamer Myspace
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:56 PM »
Public metal forums for local scenes will always get this crap from gr1mmo's and elitists.  We get it on brismetal, metalshop is all trolls (all-be-it funny ones), Ozprog.com has similar arguments, noisetheory.org has tiffs over it and it's even worse for the biiiig forums like JJJ's and Ultimatemetal etc etc (even if they're not local per-se)

You'll never justify your point to them, and their stance will never make sense to those who do come to local aussie shows and enjoy them.

I'm not sure how old this forum is, but brismetal just " ::)" at these guys and continues on as normal, tends to be only the young'uns that get to worked up over them these days.  They're not worth the time/internet space.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
narrow bandwith