Author Topic: SOUNDPROOFING - the most effective methods?  (Read 19991 times)

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
SOUNDPROOFING - the most effective methods?
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »
So I have a massive shed out the back and want to convert it to a soundproof room, it's a Tin shed and I was thinking of building a double brick soundproofed room inside it but i'm not sure of the specifics of doing something like this. My budget is i'm guessing around 10K hypothetically.

What would be the best course of action, ie. Materials for walls, floor, ceiling and soundproofing for all of these things?

And don't bother mentioning things like mattresses and egg cartons, I want this to work.

Cheers in advance.

Offline danielanastasi

• WF Major
    • View Profile
Re: SOUNDPROOFING - the most effective methods?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:12:58 AM »
Hey mate,

I know you said no egg cartons or cushioning, but I was watching a program on TV like Rennovation rescue or something and they had a really good methond of sound-proofing.

(The kid had a tin-shed, much like your's I'd imagine.)  The roof of the shed made a 'V' shape like most rooves (roofs?sp?) do, so what they did was to put in a 'floating' ceiling that made the roof appear flat and straight instead of a V (Almost like adding an attic to the shed.)

The sound-proofed the walls with this product that looks like egg cartons but is designed specifically for sound deadening-purposes in both the roof space and the walls and it looked like it would have worked a treat...

Have a look at places like Clark rubber for this material.  I wouldn't imagine you'd need to build a double brick room like you mentioned...

Hope that helps mate - All the best,

Dan

Offline ecentrix

• WF Major
  • Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:01 AM »
Clark rubber!

Old Pissed on matresses
What we do in our lives echoes in eternity

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:50 AM »
Haha, it looked sound proofed? Well I can't imagine a TV show would exaggerate!

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:29:05 AM »
Not to sound like an arsehole but I don't for a second believe that 10,000 egg cartons is going to completely nullify the sound of an explosion of sorts.

Agg cartons would at best drown out the sound of this kids groaning while he masturbated in it..

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »
Clark rubber is a rip, i asked about the soundproofing foam they have and its like 100 bucks for a square meter.

Just go the double brick idea but in between the bricks layer carpet and underlay or look into soundproof insulation, then when the walls are up get a plasterer to render on some hella thick plaster, then more carpet which you can get out of teh bins at carpet call, brand new stuff that is out of fasion that they cant sell, as for the roof i take it thats its flat? you may have to use the foam from clark rubber.
Then again if you have 10k to spend im sure u'll be set.

If my mates garage is 80% soundproof with just matresses and carpet and egg cartons then i think u'll be ok.  :headbang:

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
I can help - this is right up my alley. Double Brick might be going a bit far, but if thats how you want to take it, let me know and I can organize the bricks for you at trade rates (and work out the quantities of all materials involved as well) - cant promise anything, but may even be able to tee up a brickie, unless you want to tackle it yourself (laying bricks isnt as easy as it seems though). You'll save shitloads. Soundproof insulation batts in the cavity and if you want to go extra sound proof, line the interior walls with Soundcheck gyprock, as well as the ceiling.

If I can help, let me know.
Mongeese like results

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:22:56 PM »
Would be worth mentioning that it will need a ceiling too. If you're going to go all out on the brickwork, there is no point in skimping on the ceiling.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
Soundcheck gyprock, as well as the ceiling.

Mongeese like results

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »
Oops, missed that part.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »
With regards to soundproofing, there's really not much you can do, short of building a floating room.  and you need MASS lots of it.
Seal everything...inc...doors and any other space where air can escape... but loud stuff is still going to carry.

how big is your property and how close is your shed to neighbours?
what are you intending to put inside the shed? drums, band? etc

if you do want foam, dont bother about clark rubber.
theres a foam factory in wangarra (called wangarra foams) and the owner recomemnded "foam skins" give them a call and he can explain how it works and how its cut. apparently its a big hit with guys with home theatres/studios to absorb certain frequencies.

Wangara Foams
(08) 9309 1808
71 Buckingham Drv
Wangara WA 6065

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:45 AM »
I can help - this is right up my alley. Double Brick might be going a bit far, but if thats how you want to take it, let me know and I can organize the bricks for you at trade rates (and work out the quantities of all materials involved as well) - cant promise anything, but may even be able to tee up a brickie, unless you want to tackle it yourself (laying bricks isnt as easy as it seems though). You'll save shitloads. Soundproof insulation batts in the cavity and if you want to go extra sound proof, line the interior walls with Soundcheck gyprock, as well as the ceiling.

That's sounding like pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

The thing is the shed's next to the back yard fence which is why I need it so soundproofed.. Also because since it's Girrawheen I'd rather not everyone in my block know about it so they don't try and rip me off.

Any idea how much a double bricked room would cost? say roughly 3x5 metres - which is bigger than it sounds.

It might just be a better idea to tear down the tin shed so it doesn't potentially rattle and just have a brick shed/soundproof room instead.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:03:06 AM »
SERIOUSLY.
DON'T GET STARTED UNTIL YOU READ ALTON EVEREST'S BOOK ON ACOUSTICS, different frequencies need different materials.
I have the book. It is a little pricey. Happy to lend it to you.

Carpet is fucking useless.

Double brick is good for 2 reasons. You get mass & an air gap between the bricks.

Limestone blocks kick ass, mass + absorbancy + diffraction + insulation. Go for the more rock shaped ones, not the flat brick type.

Ceiling insulation is a must. Bunnings sell acoustic insulation bats. I have some you can take a look @.

Also hay bails made into a wall on the inside of the shed work well.

Limestone & hay bails kick ass.

How big is your shed? 

Offline deadnight_warrior

• WF Lieutenant
  • Andrew
    • View Profile
    • My video library of local and OS act's
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:54 AM »
He said 3m time 5m if you read  ::)

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
He said 3m time 5m if you read  ::)

hahah Actually, if you read, he is asking how much a room that size would cost, (that sounds like its inside the shed)...meaning the shed has to be bigger than 3x5m ;)
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »

The thing is the shed's next to the back yard fence which is why I need it so soundproofed.. Also because since it's Girrawheen I'd rather not everyone in my block know about it so they don't try and rip me off.

Any idea how much a double bricked room would cost? say roughly 3x5 metres - which is bigger than it sounds.

It might just be a better idea to tear down the tin shed so it doesn't potentially rattle and just have a brick shed/soundproof room instead.

I'll do some rough calcs and get back to you this morning mate. Just a standard 820mm wide door (think standard entry door size) for access, or would you need something a bit bigger?
Mongeese like results

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
heres a shopping list for you....

5m x 3m x 2.743m (32c) Shed

14 packs Verticore bricks (290 x 162 x 90) (I can help you source these easily enough)
1 pack Modular 76 bricks (290 x 76 x 90) (ditto)
1 roll Bricktor
24 bags 'Brickies Grey' premixed cement (20kg bags)
3m yellow or cream brickies sand
150 galv wire ties
1250w Brick lintel

$2012

1 @ standard 820 Timber entry frame w/sill, single rebate
1 @ 2040 x 820 Solicor Flush panel door
1 @ Gainsborough Govenor entry handle
1 @ Gainsborough 850 Double Deadbolt
3 @ 100 x 75 s/steel loose pin hinges
1 @ 915mm Raven door seal
Depending on how well the gyprock butts into the frame, you may want to get some 12mm quarter round quad to trim around the door frame for neatness.
May want some skirting boards too, because the finish between the floor and the walls may be a bit rough. 67 x 19mm bullnosed MDF skirting - 4 lengths (5.4m)

$492

70 x 35 MPG10 pine - 4 @ 3.3, 4 @ 5.1 (wall plate)
170 x 45 MPG10 pine - 2 @ 3.6 (hanging beams)
90 x 35 MPG10 pine - 6 @ 5.4m (ceiling joists)
50 hanger straps
65mm x 2.8mm bullet head nails

$240

22 sheets of 2700 x 1200 soundcheck gyprock ($13.60/sheet)
Plasterboard glue
Plasterboard tape
Plasterboard nails
Plasterboard corner beads for around door reveal
60m? sound proof insulation batts (not sure of bag sizes - probably around about 10m? per bag) ($8.55/m)
5 lengths 75mm coved cornice (4.2m lengths)

$1052

you can get every thing listed above (except the bricks) at Bunnings. They will even deliver it if you send them a list.

I guess you need power points and lights too - call an electrician for that. Im sure theres one here on WF. Wasn't Chewy a sparky?

The way I have quantified it, its not really going to look very pretty from the outside, and I have also assumed a few things, like that your shed has a concrete floor (a reasonably flat one). I have allowed for ceiling insulation, but nothing on top of that, so it will be exposed. You can throw a few sheets of plywood or whatever on top of it to cover that up if need be.
Also I have allowed for rough bricks inside and out. You could spend a bit more and get face bricks for the outside if you really want.

My fairly rough estimate of material cost is $3796 (bare in mind, Im using trade rates, and theres a bit of educated guessing involved, but its close enough). Labour is what will kill you. a Brickie would probably charge $2000 for a job this size, a chippy, maybe $400 (though its so piss easy you should be able to do it yourself - I can draw up the layout for you in about 1 minute), the gyprocker will be around about $600 (something you probably shouldnt attempt yourself if you want a neat job), a chippy to do the door and (if required) skirting boards - a couple of cartons of piss should sort that out.

I think you'll get away with under $8000 complete, including electrical work.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:38:35 PM by Mago_Haydz »
Mongeese like results

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
Good work Mago, you should work in the building industry ;) haha.

Yeah Chewy was a sparky, I still talk to him on MSN, though he never comes on WF anymore. Next time I talk to him Nick, I will send him in the direction of the thread to see if he can offer his services :)
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
Im a chippy, just gimme a yell if ya want a hand with anything.

What do you do mago?? Quantity surveyor??? Supervisor??

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 06:54:08 PM »

Scheduler/Estimator, yeah.....basically a quantity surveyor. Looking at going out supervising sometime this year. 10 years of doing the same thing is getting a bit tedious.
Mongeese like results

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »

Scheduler/Estimator, yeah.....basically a quantity surveyor. Looking at going out supervising sometime this year. 10 years of doing the same thing is getting a bit tedious.

Yeah cool man, i'm a chippy. Starting my own business early this year to get some cash for a few years then i'm gonna go back to TAFE to get my Builders Reg...can't really afford to do another 2 yrs full time study at the moment (although if the building continues on the landslide its on atm i will just bite the bullet and go get it over and done with asap)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:33 PM »

Yeah cool man, i'm a chippy. Starting my own business early this year to get some cash for a few years then i'm gonna go back to TAFE to get my Builders Reg...can't really afford to do another 2 yrs full time study at the moment (although if the building continues on the landslide its on atm i will just bite the bullet and go get it over and done with asap)

good idea man, get that rego. They're gold. I should have mine by now, but life is too busy these days. I'll do it one day, after some supervising experience - that way, with my experience I can pretty much get exempt from half the subjects - I even know a bit about drafting - more than what they cover in the builders reg course anyway. You can do the rego at night school or by correspondence - but it takes about 7 years part time.

when you say chippy, do you mean roof carpentry, or fixing?
Mongeese like results

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

good idea man, get that rego. They're gold. I should have mine by now, but life is too busy these days. I'll do it one day, after some supervising experience - that way, with my experience I can pretty much get exempt from half the subjects - I even know a bit about drafting - more than what they cover in the builders reg course anyway. You can do the rego at night school or by correspondence - but it takes about 7 years part time.

when you say chippy, do you mean roof carpentry, or fixing?

Roof carpenter...but we do alot more than just that. Some fixing, i can pretty much everything but mainly do roof's/structural as that's where the money is haha.

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 08:58:57 PM »

Nick,
before you go about doing anything you may need council approval...which  girrawheen so happens to be in the council that i work for (in the building and health approvals section) i also look after the girrawheen area for compliance/complaints etc...

as per my pm...i am also the noise officer...so if you need any info re: your rights under the noise regs/council local laws or just want to get any building/planning applications fastracked just gimme me a hollar or come see me.

i would hate to see you spend $$$ on all this works only to find out that you have to tear it down. (believe me...my job makes me feel like a c#nt a times.)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »

Nick,
before you go about doing anything you may need council approval...which  girrawheen so happens to be in the council that i work for (in the building and health approvals section) i also look after the girrawheen area for compliance/complaints etc...

as per my pm...i am also the noise officer...so if you need any info re: your rights under the noise regs/council local laws or just want to get any building/planning applications fastracked just gimme me a hollar or come see me.

i would hate to see you spend $$$ on all this works only to find out that you have to tear it down. (believe me...my job makes me feel like a c#nt a times.)

Hahahaha...I was going to mention council approval in my big post, but must have forgotten in amongst all the other shit. What I was going to say was fuck the council, its in a shed, whos gunna know? Well....who woulda thought that the building inspector of your actual council would be a regular on WF? hahaha...classic. Yeah, better get council approval first Nick ;)
Mongeese like results