Author Topic: Arcade games!  (Read 6334 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Arcade games!
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
Instead of flooding a gig thread, where this discussion started, I thought I'd start it's own one...

I considered building my cab from scratch but I ended up getting an old one for $100 and then all I had to do was strip off the peeling vinyl from the sides, drill out some extra holes in the control panel, make up my own "coin slot" door and repaint those bits.
Still haven't gotten around to putting in artwork for the marquee. I've been busy with other projects though, like my jukebox / karaoke machine, and my recent media box. ;)

Hey guys, out of interest
What kind of pc's are you guys running mame on?
It doesn't have to be anything special at all from my experience. They say for emulation you need a decent system but I've seen it running on older pcs. Using crappy onboard graphics or old graphics card can slow it down a bit. I'm just using a machine someone didn't want anymore. You could pick up a system that would run it fine for cheap as (silicon) chips. ;D
The dodgier the pc though you'll notice some of the newer games bogging down a bit, but even some of the older games can as well if they have lots of analog audio etc to process.

I considered building my cab from scratch but I ended up getting an old one for $100 and then all I had to do was strip off the peeling vinyl from the sides, drill out some extra holes in the control panel, make up my own "coin slot" door and repaint those bits.
Still haven't gotten around to putting in artwork for the marquee. I've been busy with other projects though, like my jukebox / karaoke machine, and my recent media box. ;)

I like the angled buttons, Daz. Nice touch. Im going to remake mine because the screen is too vertical so I gotta knock it down by 20 or so degrees. While Im at it Im going to order another button and joystick pack and make a 4 player unit instead since most of the games me and my boys play are 4 player... TMNT, The Simpsons, NBA Jam etc etc. Also need to fit a coin-slot (though they are about $100 each) and the fluro in the top section, some perspex and a marquee picture. Also want to pretty it up with some cool designs or stickers rather than just flat black.... so there's a decent to-do list, but I just wanted to play the damn thing. 18mm MDF is fucking heavy by the way. I can barely move it with a furniture trolley. I recommend 12mm - but I had stacks of 18mm so used what I had. Fucking great fun, these MAME machines! The only reason I built it was after chatting to you Daz, so myself and my kids are eternally grateful.... not so much the wife, but boys (including dads) have gotta have toys! 
I liked the idea of the angled buttons as it is a bit more ergonomic, and I had to work the placings around where the original holes were (1 joystick and 2 buttons in the middle) and I managed to design it out good. I'm a minimalist so I like the straight black.
You want an actual coin slot? Gonna start charging the neighbourhood kids eh? ;)
You could do what some people do Haydz and have interchangeable control panels that slot off and on, depending on the style of game you're playing.. one panel with 4 joysticks, one could have a trackball or 4 way stick etc.
If I was to add anything I'd think about getting a couple of light guns, though they are about $100 each  :err:

Offline ecentrix

• WF Major
  • Drummer
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade games!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:59:21 AM »
Yeah, thats what i meant. Because if your going to be running games that utilise openGL more then its bound to slow things down. Anything off the newer arcade systems might chug it down.

My mate set up a racing game emulator with a seat and wheel etc at his and its got daytona, sega rally 1 and 2 and alot of those other arcade classics!

And he runs that with just a geforce 5200fx, 512mb of ram, xp and a 1.5ghz pc

Ill get pics
What we do in our lives echoes in eternity

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:02:37 AM »
I would put up a pic of my own MAME arcade game, but Daz's is better looking and bigger.  Mine have only got 3 buttons per player not 6, so games like Mortal Kombat are not practical., but there are still around 2000 games that DO run well on it though and it is a fucking delight to own.  The games I most enjoy are all perfect, Galaga. Cabal. R-type, 1942, Snow Bros, Bubble Bobble, heaps of sick games there.  It is a bit of an old clunker of a cab and could use some touching upand the joysticks replaced, but I totally dig it.  

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:04:56 PM »
the computer in mine is a HUGE overkill. Im running a Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz intel processor, 1.5GB of RAM and a 256MB 5600 NVidia graphics card (the biggest and fastest I could find that would fit PCI).

In all seriousness, I reckon you could get away with a Pentium 2, 1.6ghz would be heaps, 256mb of RAM should be ample and basically an onboard video card would probably be good enough. I dont even have a sound card in mine (only the onboard one) but I aux mine into my kick arse Panasonic Stereo, so it thumps.

as for the interchangable control boards, that was a thought I did have, but then again, that means an extra pair of joy/button packs and an extra keywiz. Also with more space I have more room to place my beer. I was actually going to build in drink holder somewhere on the machine, which I still may do at some stage. If I can find 3 more LCD monitors Im gunna build a 4 player game.... one screen and controller per side - a REAL game cube (albeit pillar like). Oh, and the coinslot idea was originally just to add authenticity but also to be used as a piggy bank type of thing.... only problem with that is they cost about $100, so it kinda defeats the purpose of saving money. Maybe I'll just put a fake/cheap one on.

Hey Daz, can you post that link you gave me ages ago to the MAME games site? Ive looked around, but cant find any as good as the one you sent me that time. Reason being is my Galaga rom doesnt work. In fact, there's quite a few classics that dont work that I got from that mega 17gb torrent package.

Oh, by the way, my next plan is to actually utilize the overkill of the computer and have a PC joypad coming out of the machine so I can play Madden and NBA Live 08 and a few select PC games, plus then install the Sega/Nintendo/Playstation/Atari etc emulator and roms and be able to play them too. Just in the middle of downloading that pack now. Might as well use up some of the 160GB worth of hard drive that this machine has.

Building a MAME has definitely been one of the most fun and fulfilling projects I have ever undertaken, right next to building my bar (2 bars actually). Aside from Daz's help initially, I found a few websites, but none more informative than this dude. He is a full on nerd, but he built a cool machine, and he knows his shit. I emailed him with a couple of queries and he was more than happy to help out.

http://www.webbpickersgill.com/mame/

Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
XBOX (not 360, the old one) + mod chip + TV.

That is all.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »

That is all.

Booooooring!
Mongeese like results

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »

That is all.

Booooooring!

Yeah i have to agree with that - theres HUGE difference between finishing ya favorite games on MAME on your PC (or console) and playing them on a proper arcade machine with joysticks to waggle and big red/green/blue buttons to press.

Of course a fat lazy fucker who struggles to get out of his comfy recliner and is too young to have even played an arcade machine at their local deli / split second / orbit / timezone / bowling alley is going to fail to appreciate that ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »

That is all.

Booooooring!

Definitely :laugh: Being Dazzas room mate is a pretty sweet deal ;D
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline ecentrix

• WF Major
  • Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
Half the fun IMO is not having to use  a mouse to open any programs etc

Gives it that genuine arcade feel :P!
What we do in our lives echoes in eternity

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
as for the interchangable control boards, that was a thought I did have, but then again, that means an extra pair of joy/button packs and an extra keywiz. Also with more space I have more room to place my beer. I was actually going to build in drink holder somewhere on the machine, which I still may do at some stage. If I can find 3 more LCD monitors Im gunna build a 4 player game.... one screen and controller per side - a REAL game cube (albeit pillar like). Oh, and the coinslot idea was originally just to add authenticity but also to be used as a piggy bank type of thing.... only problem with that is they cost about $100, so it kinda defeats the purpose of saving money. Maybe I'll just put a fake/cheap one on.

Hey Daz, can you post that link you gave me ages ago to the MAME games site? Ive looked around, but cant find any as good as the one you sent me that time. Reason being is my Galaga rom doesnt work. In fact, there's quite a few classics that dont work that I got from that mega 17gb torrent package.

Oh, by the way, my next plan is to actually utilize the overkill of the computer and have a PC joypad coming out of the machine so I can play Madden and NBA Live 08 and a few select PC games, plus then install the Sega/Nintendo/Playstation/Atari etc emulator and roms and be able to play them too. Just in the middle of downloading that pack now. Might as well use up some of the 160GB worth of hard drive that this machine has.

Building a MAME has definitely been one of the most fun and fulfilling projects I have ever undertaken, right next to building my bar (2 bars actually). Aside from Daz's help initially, I found a few websites, but none more informative than this dude. He is a full on nerd, but he built a cool machine, and he knows his shit. I emailed him with a couple of queries and he was more than happy to help out.

http://www.webbpickersgill.com/mame/
If you had more than one control panel you wouldn't need another keywiz, just a cable plug which you could connect the respective controls to. Like they actually have in authentic machines. That game cube idea sounds spun out!

Is this the site you were talking about:
http://www.rom-world.com/dl.php?name=MAME
There are a few cool ones, with the roms and artwork. I would have gotten the same package as you and my one works so not sure why yours doesn't. Anyway if you have no luck you can let me know which ones and I can send you a copy of mine.

I have all the super nintendo and megadrive games on mine too so its pretty sweet.
And yeah, there's nothing quite like playing arcade games with proper joysticks and interface.
 :headbang:

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »
yeah, Im thinking its actually the emulator I'm using rather than the roms.... The one I have is a fairly old one. I'll try re-downloading the ones that dont work and see how I go. Cant wait to get home. One of the coolest things about it is you cant change the difficulty settings, so if you suck at a game you cant just knock it down to easiest and kick its arse. Makes smashing M. Bison in Street Fighter, or beating the Bulls in NBA Jam that much more enjoyable.
Mongeese like results

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 03:55:29 AM »
What the hell is going on?!

Daz, is that YOUR arcade game??

I'm coming over to pants you on Street FighterII!!  :cunning:

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
I'll accept all abuse (it turns me on), but I shan't be accused of laziness!

I don't see how it's any more exciting standing at the machine and I spent half my youth in arcades (despite your claims SOD!).
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 07:37:20 PM »
Man i grew up on this shit ay! Wonderboy 1 and 2,1942, Street fighter 1 and 2, Black tiger, Final Fantasy, Dig Dug, Gunsmoke, Commando, Double Dragon, Bubble bobble, green beret, Renegade....so many more.Daz where can i get one similar to your's and how much $$$ would i be looking at??

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
Daz said his cab cost $100. That should come with a monitor I guess. The computer...as cheap as you can. Garage sales or the likes will likely get you something that will work for another $100. The joysticks, buttons and keywiz pack cost roughly $130 online. With none of the bits and pieces at all, I reckon you could still do it for under $500.

as you can see mine still needs some more paint and maybe a coat or two of clear. A few finishing touches, but it works, and thats the main thing. 
Mongeese like results

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

Ignore the bottom shelf... thats pretty much storage. The top shelf is what houses all the goodies.

wow, it looks much smoother than that in real life...stupid flashes making my shit looked fucked...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:11:04 PM by Mago_Haydz »
Mongeese like results

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:29 AM »
Mine looks so different to that.  The screen seems heaps bigger, but it is probably just that my cabinet is smaller.

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
  • One Less Mouth to feed, One Less Complaint!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 04:19:51 AM »
Turns out your machines fail epicly...

Mine somewhat looks like something from space...a darlic maybe...
I built it from scratch, cost me about $500 in parts (i already had the pc), built it over 2 months, a couple of hours each day after work..

Run on the MAME emulator which has over 8000+ of all your general old\new school arcade games, + every
atari, sega master system, sega megadrive, nintendo, snes, ninteno64, ps1, commodore 64, man soooo many fucking games its not funny.. also has pinball, a jukebox, the net....ect ect ect, just hadnt had enough time to go through everything

4 Player Duel Screen
IPAC 4 Keyboard Encoder
Twin Trackballs (which can be used instead of a mouse But also has wireless keyboard and mouse)
The Brain Amd Athalon XP 3000+, 1 gig ram, 2.16ghz cpu, 256 nvidia gpu,
External power button, 3 way (pause, enter, esc) button
Logitech 5:1 Surround

And Best of all BEER HOLDERS!!

Look at the pics anyways, you cant see it but it also has a 12v strobe lighting system, that flashes behiind the grills, and from under the button panels, and drinkholders. all players have a joystick 6 buttons plus a start and a coin, the two green buttons on the left hand side, are the buttons that interact with the trackball, pretty much your mouse buttons, and the three way one is for your pause, enter and esc.

Only downside is the smallish screens, but when your that close to it it doesnt even matter really.
looking at selling it if anyones interested??? Make an offer!!

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 04:21:12 AM »

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 04:22:02 AM »

BAM!!!

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 04:43:30 AM »
Got most of my parts from these sites, but also a few on ebay...

http://www.ozstick.com.au/
www.arcadegamingaustralia.com.au

and to whoever was looking for coin slots, there are 3 different types of coin mechs on the ozstick site, ranging from $55 down
plus they sell the ipac 2 and 4 keyboard encoders, which i recommend using the i pac 4 if your making a 4 player machine, the program to set it up is also alot eaiser and more user friendly than the keywiz one..

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 05:11:57 AM »

That is totally insane and yet kickass. Takes up a fair bit of real estate in a room though, and looks to be a bitch to move around(?)
It does look like a computer / device you'd see in an old doctor who episode. Funny shit!
 8)

Offline Baby Buster

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 05:26:42 AM »
It fits quite snug in a corner, but yeah it is largeish but it is quite simple to move, because it breaks down to six parts, not that it gets moved that often anyways.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »
I can feel a rebuild coming on. Man, that rules.
Mine was only ever destined to be a prototype because there are things about it that just dont feel right, but its definitely good enough for now.  I just wanted to build something reasonably simple so I can iron out any dramas, like the angle and height of the screen and that sort of thing. The dual screen thing is an awesome idea. Yours kicks arse man.... does look a bit weird, but I imagine its a comfortable machine to play.
Mongeese like results