Author Topic: Saturday Night Thrash Attack - 9th of May @ The Castle  (Read 17687 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Night Thrash Attack - 9th of May @ The Castle
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »
^
I wonder if people had that attitude to a venue such as, say, CBGB back in the day, because it was a bit of a shithole   :laugh:

Wayne and The Castle crew are great supporters of METAL/Rock and provide the dvd to bands (sometimes) and it STILL has a bad rep. Amps/Capitol probably couldnt care less.
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
I love the Castle. I dont think you could get a better fit for a metal club. Its perfect, atmosphere wise and all that.
Mongeese like results

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »
I have to agree with Senton, TNT and Haydz. Nothing wrong with The Castle is has a great atmosphere and I've never been to a more 'metal' venue. The Rocket Room sucks, small stage, shit view of the bands and crappy location.

A gig is only as good as it's promoted. Doesn't matter where it is.

Castle has down to earth employee's/owners (no cockhead bouncers) reasonable priced drinks, screens, decent P.A. and they have extended the stage. Wayne never turns a band down but for some reason after a few gigs bands take it for granted and start bagging the place.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
Why don't you just have 3 bands play longer sets ?

That'll be the case if I can't find anyone else before the night, probably drop the door price a bit too. The original idea was to have a couple of new bands and a couple of well known bands play, mix things up a little.

Wayne never turns a band down
Rarely turns a band down... just ask inVoid how they managed to get some "time out" from playing at the Castle :p

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »
I read an previous page that said you'd only call the gig "Saturday Night Thrash Attack" if you scored Shrapnel to play.

Way to concede. :P

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
I read an previous page that said you'd only call the gig "Saturday Night Thrash Attack" if you scored Shrapnel to play.

Way to concede. :P

Was too late to chance the gig name by the time they let me know they couldn't play, as I'd already spread the headliner-less poster around the place. It's not real thrash anymore, but the other bands are energetic and loud.

You can still thrash out to something that is not thrash  :P

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:45 AM »
You can still thrash out to something that is not thrash  :P

???

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline DISASTER666

• WF Colonel
  • Barbarian Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:03 AM »
LIKE THRASHING YOUR WILLY!
I DON'T MIND THE CASTLE AS A VENUE.
I'M OF THE 'DATED' OPINION THAT A GREAT PERFORMANCE WILL OUTSHINE ANY CRAP VENUE,PROVIDED THE PRODUCTION IS DECENT, AND IN CAPABLE HANDS.
NOT THAT THE CASTLE IS EVEN CRAP THOUGH, A BIT TIGHT ON SPACE PERHAPS, BUT IT'S ALWAYS UNDER CAPACITY, AND SLOTHISH METALHEADS BARELY USE THE SPACE ANYWAY.

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »
The Castle has much better sound than Robinson. And fucking Slayer played there :P

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »
I.E. Primadonnas i.e. not in the true spirit of metal.

No difference between the Castle and the Rocket Room, except the Castle is in a better location and has more metal decor and atmosphere.

I don't think it's a Primadonna attitude, I just think after while you want to present your band as best as possible & venues such as the castle don't allow that.

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed a gig or 2 @ both venues... (Mostly while VERY inebriated of course  ;D )

Also both venues are great for live experience & bands just starting out (The Castle especially)
I understand the point you are trying to make, but it's just plain inaccurate in this case. There is nothing about the Castle that prevents anyone presenting themselves as a good metal band. I've seen plenty of bands put on good shows there, sometimes even better than at other places. I've been on stage there and other places and it was fine from my point of view. If a band can't present themselves good there then it is a problem with the band not the venue. Some bands might have had the occasional sound problem but then they don't even say anything to the sound guy.. that is what he is there for. The experienced bands that do, sound consistently good wherever they play.

At any rate I have more of a gripe with the punters that look down on it and think it is a sub-par venue and don't want to go to shows there. Bunch of slack-jawed faggots and spoilt brats - what are they, metalheads or mice? Harden up cunts.
 8)

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »

No difference between the Castle and the Rocket Room, except the Castle is in a better location and has more metal decor and atmosphere.

I don't think it's a Primadonna attitude, I just think after while you want to present your band as best as possible & venues such as the castle don't allow that.

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed a gig or 2 @ both venues... (Mostly while VERY inebriated of course  ;D )

Also both venues are great for live experience & bands just starting out (The Castle especially)
I understand the point you are trying to make, but it's just plain inaccurate in this case. There is nothing about the Castle that prevents anyone presenting themselves as a good metal band. I've seen plenty of bands put on good shows there, sometimes even better than at other places. I've been on stage there and other places and it was fine from my point of view. If a band can't present themselves good there then it is a problem with the band not the venue. Some bands might have had the occasional sound problem but then they don't even say anything to the sound guy.. that is what he is there for. The experienced bands that do, sound consistently good wherever they play.

At any rate I have more of a gripe with the punters that look down on it and think it is a sub-par venue and don't want to go to shows there. Bunch of slack-jawed faggots and spoilt brats - what are they, metalheads or mice? Harden up cunts.
 8)

Well said, +1. The Castle fuckin rules.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »

8)
haha. So....fucking...true.

I haven't seen it yet but the new As i lay dying dvd contains a footage of a few shows they recently played as 'reanactments' at small venues they hadn't played at for years, since their early days of being a 'local' band.

As non-metal as they may be, you can't get a better attiude than that.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 03:38:42 AM »
At this stage it looks like it will be a 3 band line-up, unless another bands steps forward. Had at least two bands each day this week tell me they can't make it. All fairly legit reasons, just bad timing.

The door price will be dropped a couple of dollars, so you can get yourself 1/4th of a drink to make up for the missing 4th band :p

It's a shame, but I have no doubt that the other 3 bands can hold their own. If I didn't think they were any good, they've not be on the line-up. Come on down, check them out, hear something a bit different.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »

It's a shame, but I have no doubt that the other 3 bands can hold their own. If I didn't think they were any good, they've not be on the line-up.

but didnt you say you have contacted pretty much every band in town? You obviously arent too selective...
Mongeese like results

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
but didnt you say you have contacted pretty much every band in town? You obviously arent too selective...

I've asked about two a day all week, which isn't even half the bands in town. The last couple of days have been an open invitation though. Door price will be dropped to $8 if only 3 band end up playing... unless anyone wants to see me try come up with some experimental noise on stage  ;D

Tonight!!!
A small selection of IGI merch will be available tonight. Mostly from Aussie bands this time.

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2009, 12:04:55 AM »
The Castle has the best light show in town!!!! Nails like playing there :headbang:
I think its a better venue than the Swan Basement and nearly on par with the Railway in terms of sound.
And where else do you get a dvd of your performance??
Its dingy,dark with a small bar (overpriced unfortunately) and no bouncers.
Having played and attended many gigs in Europe ive come across some shitholes in my time.
Suits me.
METAL

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2009, 02:27:55 AM »

Its dingy,dark with a small bar (overpriced unfortunately) and no bouncers.
Having played and attended many gigs in Europe ive come across some shitholes in my time.
Suits me.
METAL

and thats exactly the attitude that more people should have. The fact its dingy, dark and feels a bit like an old country town hall is what makes it so cool.
Mongeese like results

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2009, 04:34:46 AM »
I think  have the answer. Open a kebab shop or kfc next door hahaha.
Heat is walking distance from the castle & as venue's go it was a much more pro venue, it however used to get shitbagged just as the castle does. Coincdence.  :hmm:
People also have a minor whinge about hte charles. Again there is no food within walking distance.

Amps/Capitol have the kebab shop, Hydey has KFC, Rocket Room has Northbridge food.

The only reason the raiway does well is because of the party bus, means the first band also has @ least a full bus load of people to watch them. It also has a double stage for summer gigs. But we are all too slack to use it.

Wayne @ the Castle needs to organise some kinda hot food for the metal gigs.  ;)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 05:04:32 AM »
They did have food for a while. Pizzas,chips and beef rolls. 

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
They did have food for a while. Pizzas,chips and beef rolls. 

I think they still have a pizza night during the week sometime.

Thanks to everyone who came down tonight. There was a good crowd, and the bands played well and with lots of enthusiasm. Threshold, LifeBlood and All This Filth did a great job.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
I think  have the answer. Open a kebab shop or kfc next door hahaha.
Heat is walking distance from the castle & as venue's go it was a much more pro venue, it however used to get shitbagged just as the castle does. Coincdence.  :hmm:
People also have a minor whinge about hte charles. Again there is no food within walking distance.

Amps/Capitol have the kebab shop, Hydey has KFC, Rocket Room has Northbridge food.

The only reason the raiway does well is because of the party bus, means the first band also has @ least a full bus load of people to watch them. It also has a double stage for summer gigs. But we are all too slack to use it.

Wayne @ the Castle needs to organise some kinda hot food for the metal gigs.  ;)
Food? you need to start drinking Simon, who gives a fuck about food...

Offline Tittiesandbeer

• WF Colonel
  • Grog On
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
I was at the castle a couple of weeks ago & there was no fucking foldbacks. for me thats inexcusable.
now as a band & wanting to put on a half decent show, youd at least expect fold backs to be there and working.
if the venue is not going to provide that for a band, then you cant blame bands not wanting to perform.
the castle really needs to lift their game production wise if they really want bands to play there, & for people to go to the venue.

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »
Yes that is odd, I didnt see any foldbacks last night either, but they did have em ages ago cause some dude smashed his head on one of em while Psychonaut was playing.  :rofl:

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2009, 03:09:40 AM »
Yes that is odd, I didnt see any foldbacks last night either, but they did have em ages ago cause some dude smashed his head on one of em while Psychonaut was playing.  :rofl:

They do have foldbacks, but just not on the stage. If you look at the stack of speakers on each side, the old PA speakers are pointing back at the stage. There is also a foldback right next to the drummer. Haven't heard any complaints about the set up, and it gives the bands more room to move around without tripping over anything on stage.

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »
Eh The castle is fun. Specially when its raining on your drummer setting up.
 :err:

Do they still have the arcade room? With the machines that do nothing but eat my 2 dollar coins and don't let me play >:(

This might sound like a harsh post about the castle but I'm actually reasonably fond of playing the place. Standing in that dip in the stage where the milk crate has obviously slipped out from under the planks just reminds me of...home. Or when they used to give the band a VCD of the set instead if $$...and then that would never work anyway or the dude would forget to hit record or delete the movie file before burning it for us. 
I never thought the sound was that bad at the castle and neverborn was quite fond of the sound guy with the dreads as he would work FUCKING hard to get our sound reasonable which is hard cause well..its neverborn.

The place serves a purpose tho, giving bands a place to perfect a live show and being a cheap venue for promotors. I like it.