Author Topic: Ormsby 'Nunchucker Humbucker'  (Read 4579 times)

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
Ormsby 'Nunchucker Humbucker'
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:46:51 AM »
Dudes,

I had an Ormsby Nunchucker Humbucker pickup hurled in my Destroyer today and it is fuckin' SPECTACULAR!!

It's what that guitar has been missing all this time and I've tried heaps of different pickups over the years. It's replaces the 'Steve Vai Evolution' DiMarzio that was in there. I ain't sad to see it go  :raspberry:

When used with a 5150 the Nunchucker gives out a HUUUGE sound and a massively LOUD MONSTER WARM tone. Not too much fuzz which is good coz then the amp does the ploughing. Mad combination! GODZILLA meets the HULK!

Triple thumbs up!

"I endorse this product and/or service."

Come check it out in action at the Rocket Room Sat nite 25th April  :cunning:

:clap:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:50:16 AM by EvilElvis »

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
Re: Ormsby 'Nunchucker Humbucker'
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:14:13 AM »
awwwwww yeah i was planning on having these put in one of my guitars and this has only further solidified my want for em! schweeeet

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »
way cool. i got perry to wind me a nunchucker with an alnico 2 magnet, which is apparently pretty much the same spec as the duncan EVH/'78 custom shop pickup which i'm eagerly awaiting to slap in my guitar. this post has increased the eagerness even more  :eyebrows:
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »
way cool. i got perry to wind me a nunchucker with an alnico 2 magnet, which is apparently pretty much the same spec as the duncan EVH/'78 custom shop pickup which i'm eagerly awaiting to slap in my guitar. this post has increased the eagerness even more  :eyebrows:

Just been too busy to clean the wax off after vacuum potting the pickups Leon. You gotta come down to pick them up if you wanna hear the big news buzzing around the factory this week :)

Thanks Mark. Next time, trust me ok??

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
Thanks Mark. Next time, trust me ok??
But you called Ed Van Halen a 'Butcher' ???

2112 - This pickup has an ALNICO V (5) in it.. wonder if there's much difference..?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:11:18 PM by EvilElvis »

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »

Just been too busy to clean the wax off after vacuum potting the pickups Leon. You gotta come down to pick them up if you wanna hear the big news buzzing around the factory this week :)

no worries hey man, there isn't any rush. when are you going to be there next week so i can collect them and have my curiosity quelled over this awesome news ?

2112 - This pickup has an ALNICO V (5) in it.. wonder if there's much difference..?

well there are so many factors in it, but i'd like to sit there with one pickup and just swap in and out every sort of magnet to try hear what's best for a given guitar. A2's often get used for more of a vintage sound with a bit more 'air' to the tone, whereas an A5 is more aggressive.
it all depends on what you're putting it in though; if this one turns out awesome (which i'm expecting!) i might get an A5 one for the bridge position in my hamer standard, which is an explorer shaped thing as well.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »
No need Leon. Last weekend myself, Toby Copley, Grant Touchell and Graham Greene spent an entire day with one guitar, four amps (Road King, Bad Cat, Ulbrich, 5150), one cabinet and one mic, recording all the different pickups and magnet combinations.

To make the sound samples more transperant, we used only one guitar, and swapped pickups in and out of it all day. The four amps were for different styles of flavour (clean, vintage/blues dirt, average dirt, modern metal), but all went through the same cabinet, same mic and position, etc. All amps ran a very neutral tone (12 o'clock tone settings pretty much).

To keep things even more accurate, rather than swap a nunchucker a5 with a nunchucker a2, we'd swap the actual magnet rather than the entire pickup, just incase one had .05% more winds (they are handwound after all), or, more importantly, the pickup height to string ratio was changed. We could just remove the pickup in its surrounding, and slide the magnets in and out.

It was a huge job, but we got 75 sound bytes which cover most of the humbuckers (bridge and neck positions), and a couple Multiscale guitars.

Offline MoonStruck

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

U need to trust us more  8)  The Nunchucker with the Alnico 5 is better suited to your guitar than an A2 would be (for your kind of sound).

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 03:03:37 AM »
No need Leon. Last weekend myself, Toby Copley, Grant Touchell and Graham Greene spent an entire day with one guitar, four amps (Road King, Bad Cat, Ulbrich, 5150), one cabinet and one mic, recording all the different pickups and magnet combinations.

To make the sound samples more transperant, we used only one guitar, and swapped pickups in and out of it all day. The four amps were for different styles of flavour (clean, vintage/blues dirt, average dirt, modern metal), but all went through the same cabinet, same mic and position, etc. All amps ran a very neutral tone (12 o'clock tone settings pretty much).

To keep things even more accurate, rather than swap a nunchucker a5 with a nunchucker a2, we'd swap the actual magnet rather than the entire pickup, just incase one had .05% more winds (they are handwound after all), or, more importantly, the pickup height to string ratio was changed. We could just remove the pickup in its surrounding, and slide the magnets in and out.

It was a huge job, but we got 75 sound bytes which cover most of the humbuckers (bridge and neck positions), and a couple Multiscale guitars.

hehe i've been waiting for someone to do something like this so i could hear the results. great idea  :clap: what guitar/amp/cab/mic setup did you use?

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
Blue DC guitar....

into Road King (clean) (http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/amp/TRACK009.wav)
or
Ulbrich Arena 50w (vintage dirty) (http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/amp/TRACK013.wav)
or
Bad Cat (classic moderate gain) (http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/amp/TRACK011.wav)
or
5150 MkI (modern heavy gain) (http://www.monaro.com.au/guitars/amp/TRACK015.wav)

(all those tracks are unmastered, uncompressed, and need to be increased in volume for the tone CD... this was a quick "rip and upload" just to show you something)

into a Bad Cat 2x12 cabinet with 30w Celestions....

... into a Sennheiser mic...

... into a Tascam DP-01 fx/cd eight track.

So, each pickup was recorded through the exact same setup, and has four different amps to show off the pickup's response are suitability when amplified in four different ways.

Post production of the sound will be to increase the volume only, no compression, or ANY other effects. All the amps (except the Road King) had the tone stacks set to neutral, eg: everything straight up at 12 o'clock. So, tweeking the tone controls to suit more or less of any spectrum of the frequency is up to the user.

This pickup in the soundbytes above is the Alnico V version of the Nunchucker Humbucker.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 02:59:55 AM »
yea gis pickups are shithot.

I tried the nunchucker first but was too bottom heavy & fat, then tried it with a ceramic magnet which was more controlled but also more sterile. Ended up preferring the hot rock in the end in my guitar, it wasn't too fat & warm in my setup & brought out more of the mids as it has a less scooped sound.

The HotRock was a little too trebly to begin with, so I did the old Dime trick & flipped it around & it sounded spot on. Because of the way the Ormsby pickups are wound it has a much greater effect when you flip it. Also the difference between positive coil tapping & negative coil tapping is like chalk & cheese. So essentially if you double coil tap you end up with a pickup with 3 distinctly different tones. The weaker of the 2 coil taps almost comes through clean on a distorted channel without any vol pot rolloff.  :eyebrows:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:05:16 AM by cdtBEAST »

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:19 AM »
yea gis pickups are shithot.

I tried the nunchucker first but was too bottom heavy & fat, then tried it with a ceramic magnet which was more controlled but also more sterile. Ended up preferring the hot rock in the end in my guitar, it wasn't too fat & warm in my setup & brought out more of the mids as it has a less scooped sound.

The HotRock was a little too trebly to begin with, so I did the old Dime trick & flipped it around & it sounded spot on. Because of the way the Ormsby pickups are wound it has a much greater effect when you flip it. Also the difference between positive coil tapping & negative coil tapping is like chalk & cheese. So essentially if you double coil tap you end up with a pickup with 3 distinctly different tones. The weaker of the 2 coil taps almost comes through clean on a distorted channel without any vol pot rolloff.  :eyebrows:

For the record, we mismatch the coils (one side has more winds) purely to offer 3 different sounds, but most importantly a BLEND of sounds to produce a nicer tone (to our ears anyway). Comparing two coils, if one has more winds, it generally has more mids. Lower windings promote cleaner tones, more bass and treble. Combining the two into a singe pickup could be compared to running your signal through two EQ pedals wired in parallel. 

Offline HappySinner

• WF Colonel
  • I am the Anti-Bling!
    • View Profile
    • Graham Greene Website
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 05:55:52 AM »
Stay tuned for the amazing new limited release custom wound all singing all dancing Graham Greene Signature Series Nunchucker - The Dumfucker Humbucker.   :thumbup:

Nah... I made that up.  ;D
Raw Brutal Maxixe.

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:01:13 AM »
Stay tuned for the amazing new limited release custom wound all singing all dancing Graham Greene Signature Series Nunchucker - The Dumfucker Humbucker.   :thumbup:

Nah... I made that up.  ;D

:rofl: