Author Topic: Pig flu? we all doomed or what?  (Read 18633 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Re: Pig flu? we all doomed or what?
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:07 AM »
Yeah, from what I've heard it's pretty easily treated and we wouldn't be in too much of a threat down here. But when isn't the media focussing on the negative and sensationalising things..  :hmm:

I just heard a short news flash about it earlier so I don't know the full details. This movie I just watched last night came to mind though - Doomsday. Surprised I hadn't heard about it before as it's pretty kick ass and has some cool action in it, but Jez told me about it. It's like a cross between 28 Days Later, Aliens and Mad Max, so I recommend checking it out.

Is that the one in scotland with the cannibals and medieval survivalists? not bad, but 28 days/weeks later is far better. The disease effects were cool though.
Yeah that's the one. I just liked it for the pure action and destruction, I had to stop myself from picking the holes in it after a while but I like it's obvious nods to other classic films. It's triggered me to download "A Boy And His Dog" now (which is conveniently available on the internet archive due to lapsed copyright), which incidentally gets a bit of a tribute in the Fallout games apparently.
I've had 28 weeks later for ages now but haven't watched it yet. 28 days later was ok but I didn't think it was that memorable.

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:35:13 AM »
I got n the tube to work yesterday, and a couple of people were wearing face masks. Only two people got sick with the disease here, and the poms are already shitting themselves!
More likely to be killed by a falling coconut, and we ALL know how many palm trees are in Britain. Pft fags.
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
My friend came to tafe today with the flu, so we made a swine joke, then he told us his friend got back from Mexico last week....he still doesnt think he has anything to worry about, but we convinced him to try and go see a doctor

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:19 AM »
If 100,000 people die in one week from it and the infected keeps rising its something to be afraid of..
other than that its another media plot to stir shit.

more people die from other diseases each day, reports??
fucking crock of pig shite

The difference is that its a new mutation of a disease we haven't seen before. We shouldn't be surprised, that's exactly what viruses do to survive.

And the big problem with these strains of virus, the ones made of a cocktail of viruses from other animals, is that humans have no natural immunity to it and, like the Black Plague, it attacks people who would otherwise be considered young and healthy. But you've gotta remember that even pandemics like the Black Plague only had about a 2% mortality rate, too. The reason an absoulte biblical amount of people died at the hands of that virus is because they didn't have antibiodics.

But I completely agree with the amount of typical media shit stirring happening at the moment. People have got to realise that when they see the word PANDEMIC it actually means, according to WHO, the fufillment of the following criteria;

* Emergence of a disease new to a population.
* Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.
* Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

Theres nothing about killing BILLIONS of people in there, just that theres a new virus in town and we need to be snappy about controlling it before that ~2% blows out of proportion in real terms.

Bear in mind it has a 2% mortality rate in a crowded shithole developing country with lacklustre medical care. Also bear in mind that existing strains of influenza kill half a million people every year anyway.

Media hyperbole is making my working life fucking miserable.

tl;dr swine flu is about as scary as the common cold

PANDEMIC  :police: :woot: :spew: :police: :woot: :yay: :spew:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:07:30 AM by Inge »

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »
I got n the tube to work yesterday, and a couple of people were wearing face masks. Only two people got sick with the disease here, and the poms are already shitting themselves!
More likely to be killed by a falling coconut, and we ALL know how many palm trees are in Britain. Pft fags.

You should laugh at these people. Perhaps a healthy dose of public shame will get them to think for themselves :P
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »

I just heard a short news flash about it earlier so I don't know the full details. This movie I just watched last night came to mind though - Doomsday. Surprised I hadn't heard about it before as it's pretty kick ass and has some cool action in it, but Jez told me about it. It's like a cross between 28 Days Later, Aliens and Mad Max, so I recommend checking it out.

Is that the one in scotland with the cannibals and medieval survivalists? not bad, but 28 days/weeks later is far better. The disease effects were cool though.
Yeah that's the one. I just liked it for the pure action and destruction, I had to stop myself from picking the holes in it after a while but I like it's obvious nods to other classic films. It's triggered me to download "A Boy And His Dog" now (which is conveniently available on the internet archive due to lapsed copyright), which incidentally gets a bit of a tribute in the Fallout games apparently.
I've had 28 weeks later for ages now but haven't watched it yet. 28 days later was ok but I didn't think it was that memorable.

if you didn't think much of 28 days later then you probably wont think much of 28 weeks later, still it has some brutal scenes, the bit where the infection moves through the crowded basement was pretty fucked up. More guns this time too, though how a mob of infected could take on an abrams tank is beyond me, those beasts would just crush them.

They reckon this pig flu is in New Zealand, you would think if any animal based disease was going to get the kiwis it would be from the sheep. Still, if anyone dies from this here just about every cunt will be stocking up on face masks. I'm just not going to leave the house, but thats no different from what I normally do anyways.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25402852-601,00.html

at the end of that article it says the death rate from a generic pandemic virus would be 2.4%, but with appropriate medical care that should be halved. Still thats over 200 000 people if there was a pandemic here, but at least the unemployment rate would decrease!
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
28 days / weeks later are both GREAT movies!! ;D

HAHAHAHA

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »
at the end of that article it says the death rate from a generic pandemic virus would be 2.4%, but with appropriate medical care that should be halved. Still thats over 200 000 people if there was a pandemic here, but at least the unemployment rate would decrease!

Here's to hoping it kills people in higher income brackets... trickle down baconomics. ;D
I must slumber, per se.

Offline The Janitor

• WF Lieutenant
  • Kicked in the c*nt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
Cull the humans!  ;)  :rofl:

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 11:03:57 PM »

Madagascar fucks me EVERY SINGLE TIME!
About the only way to win that game is to start in Madagascar, or South Africa
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:07:21 PM by DamoESP »
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
Everyone should only take their info regarding Swine Flu from the WHO and not NewsCorp.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »

Your best change without starting there is to have a disease that is close to 0% noticeable. Heh, I had infected Madagascar in one game, only to have bloody Peru hold out  :err:

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »
Everyone should only take their info regarding Swine Flu from the WHO and not NewsCorp.

how bout wikipedia?  ;D

Offline metal_munchkin

• WF Major
  • :)
    • View Profile
    • Facialbook
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 05:58:29 AM »
i told rod to stay in mexico.
"Mr Murphy, would you come over by the board?"

"No, that's alright. I'll take the zero."

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:44 AM »

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »

You should laugh at these people. Perhaps a healthy dose of public shame will get them to think for themselves :P
The trouble with the media blowing this kind of thing out of proportion all the time. Is that you'll get a "The boy who cryed wolf" type senario. One day there will Really be a big epidemic but no-one will beleive the media.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 06:43:39 AM »

The trouble with the media blowing this kind of thing out of proportion all the time. Is that you'll get a "The boy who cryed wolf" type senario. One day there will Really be a big epidemic but no-one will beleive the media.
well in that case it wouldn't really matter, we would all be fucked anyway so who cares if no one believes the media?
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »
i told rod to stay in mexico.

:rofl:
You're infected, bitch!
I must slumber, per se.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »

Your best change without starting there is to have a disease that is close to 0% noticeable. Heh, I had infected Madagascar in one game, only to have bloody Peru hold out  :err:

Yeah, thats what I always tried to do. Have a disease that was not nociteable, and once it had reached everywhere, I started hitting them with the symptoms! :P
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 01:57:42 AM »

Yeah, thats what I always tried to do. Have a disease that was not nociteable, and once it had reached everywhere, I started hitting them with the symptoms! :P

what the fuck are you 2 on about? AIDS Sims or something?
Mongeese like results

Offline MirrorMirror

• WF Major
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 02:09:59 AM »

nah i got that also.. i started in nz got everyone but cuba.. the fuckers.

meh if it comes it comes, cant do to much about it! I am just wondering about who is dying from it? Is it only people with mexican heritage? so far thats all ive heard.

May my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death I will smile.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »

what the fuck are you 2 on about? AIDS Sims or something?

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html
Have fun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:17:15 AM by dparker »
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
Im in Las Vegas right now, flew in from Los Angelas about 3 days ago and going to NYC tomorrow.

Not bragging  :eyebrows:, but to put things in perspective....

Since we landed in LA, they had 'The worst outbreak'. Also NYC is having an 'epidemic' and 'alarming number of cases reported'.

Its all over the news, but its a lot of 'Today Tonight' style stories where the cut to footage/interviews of concerned parents and medical experts.

Its reported about a lot of deaths, but they dont mention that the deaths are a lot of elderly people and (sadly) newborn babies.

Cant wait to get back to Australia  :laugh: :hmm:
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm