Author Topic: Music Finder  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Music Finder
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
So I'm probably a little late here, but what happened to Music Finder? Last I heard it was only opening weekends (due to other work commitments) and now....nothing without so much of a 'last hurrah'.

Is it gone for good or temporarily out of action? Its a fucking shame because it used to do so much for local metal.
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
Re: Music Finder
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
So I'm probably a little late here, but what happened to Music Finder? Last I heard it was only opening weekends (due to other work commitments) and now....nothing without so much of a 'last hurrah'.

Is it gone for good or temporarily out of action? Its a fucking shame because it used to do so much for local metal.

Unfortunately the "physical" store closed down last July. Spiralling rental prices simply made such a small volume "speciality" retail store unviable. That really sucks as it was always a great place to shop, supported local music and was a generally great place to hang out before gigs and crash out after! :(

Longi's grand plan is to open an online music / merchandise store, however due to his current work commitments he is finding it hard to find the time to get this off the ground. He still has HEAPS of ex-shop merchandise (CDs, Vinyl, tshirts, dvds as well as miscellaneous merch e.g. figurines) available as well as a mountain of CD racks and shelves for sale so if you are interested in anything let me know (i live with the bloke so i'll pass the messages straight on).
HAHAHAHA

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:29 AM »
Yeah is a shame. As much as 78's and Dadas are decent shops for international releases they generally have a poor selection of local heavy stuff.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »
SOD you should get him to put a list up on here. A few people might be chasing some goods.

What figures does he have? I have mate who collects.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:15:03 AM »
And now no one is paying rent on that place...

I enjoyed looking around the store, but just like 78s and Dadas, found it too expensive a lot of the time to buy much. Thats often the problem with small shops as they have to charge a lot to keep themselves running. A shame.

I loved looking at all the awesome vinyl he had up on the back wall  :)

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
SOD you should get him to put a list up on here. A few people might be chasing some goods.

What figures does he have? I have mate who collects.

LOL - thats a damn daunting task but i'll see what i can do!

I'll show him this thread and hopefully that motivates him into making some some damn good cash out of merch thats otherwise just sitting idle!
HAHAHAHA

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:56 AM »
just stack all the cds up and take a photo of the spines, be good enough for the most part

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »
You'd need a pretty high res pic!

Anyway, CD's - Obscure or otherwise weren't exactly the strong selling point of the store, the main thing that walked out the door were international gig tickets, local metal CD's and clothing. I think alot of the other stuff was more or less furniture, as awesome as it was..

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 02:12:47 AM »
Yeah defintely local cds was the main attraction for me. Every other store in Perth is USELESS for local metal releases.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 04:35:42 AM »
Yeah defintely local cds was the main attraction for me. Every other store in Perth is USELESS for local metal releases.

You know it's up to the bands to get the cd's into the stores ? ...  8)

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 04:44:31 AM »

I've often wondered about that. I occasionally see some local metal at JB's such as Grotesque, Noctis and Voyager, but nothing like what could be there. Is it really difficult to get local cds into those places, or just a matter of asking?

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:28:24 AM »
And now no one is paying rent on that place...

I enjoyed looking around the store, but just like 78s and Dadas, found it too expensive a lot of the time to buy much. Thats often the problem with small shops as they have to charge a lot to keep themselves running. A shame.

I loved looking at all the awesome vinyl he had up on the back wall  :)
Thats whats good about stalls at gigs like the one Dyson has. Cd;s and shirts for half the price you pay at shops.

Offline macgyver

• WF Major
  • RDAs Love Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »
shame to see it go for sure but I can definitely see a gap being filled on line for local stuff. heaps of people I know (especially metalheads who dont particularly like the act of shopping around and shit - me included)

If he hasnt begun looking at the online side much yet just go look at http://www.oscommerce.com and they have all the software and shit available than runs shitloads of online stores around the world and its all free and easy to use. makes setting up an online store fairly straight forward (other than putting the product information in for you)

Good luck to the dude anyway!

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
FREE? Shit, that's allright. How do they fund that? Adds?

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
If he hasnt begun looking at the online side much yet just go look at http://www.oscommerce.com and they have all the software and shit available than runs shitloads of online stores around the world and its all free and easy to use. makes setting up an online store fairly straight forward (other than putting the product information in for you_

My store is run using OsCommerce. I had no real experience with webdesign, and was still able to... mostly... get an online store up and running. Took a while though, and it's nothing fancy, but if you know what you are doing, you can do almost anything using it.

FREE? Shit, that's allright. How do they fund that? Adds?

It's open source. So its not a company or anything that puts it together, but other users who keep tweaking and fixing it up.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

I've often wondered about that. I occasionally see some local metal at JB's such as Grotesque, Noctis and Voyager, but nothing like what could be there. Is it really difficult to get local cds into those places, or just a matter of asking?

It's fairly easy to get your stuff into Independent stores... But places like JB's, Sanity, Virgin etc would require you to be on a label or distro network of some such

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
shame to see it go for sure but I can definitely see a gap being filled on line for local stuff. heaps of people I know (especially metalheads who dont particularly like the act of shopping around and shit - me included)

If he hasnt begun looking at the online side much yet just go look at http://www.oscommerce.com and they have all the software and shit available than runs shitloads of online stores around the world and its all free and easy to use. makes setting up an online store fairly straight forward (other than putting the product information in for you)

Good luck to the dude anyway!

I told Longi countless times I'd set up an online store for music finder, even when it was open, but I wouldn't do data entry. If he had his inventory in a database or spreadsheet it would be a piece of piss... IF.

I actually considered adding a store to Western Front to sell local cds and merchandise, but Rowland set up one anyway. Plus wouldn't be sure if it would have enough sales through it to justify the fees and transaction costs etc.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:07:27 AM »
I actually considered adding a store to Western Front to sell local cds and merchandise, but Rowland set up one anyway. Plus wouldn't be sure if it would have enough sales through it to justify the fees and transaction costs etc.

I can tell you mine doesn't pay for itself yet. Well it might if I stopped buying new stuff all the time and made more of an effort to sell what I've already got. Marketing is not my biggest strength, although it's an area I want to earn more about.

Data entry is very boring, but a necessary evil. Can't wait to be able to afford a secretary  :cunning:

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:22 AM »

A Label is more or less completely useless if it doesn't have a distribution company or process tied into it. the CD's you'd have seen in largely commercial stores ie. Prime Cuts CD's are tied to either EMG or RIOT distro. At the end of the day any shmo with a motive of ripping off bands and alienating himself from a metal scene can fabricate a "record label" with a wanked up name and logo done on photoshop, but it's about getting the bands stuff out there and not your label logo.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:17:14 AM »

A few years back I collected some disc's from bands ie Minds Eye & Kin, and found most places were happy to put them on there shelves on consignment

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
I heard JBs will sell on consignment if your band has an ABN. But don't quote me.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
I heard JBs will sell on consignment if your band has an ABN. But don't quote me.

sorry. Its like saying 'dont look at the sun'
Mongeese like results

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 11:03:25 PM »
Funny, I picked that someone would do that, I also thought it would be you :P

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »
Marketing is not my biggest strength, although it's an area I want to earn more about.

Freudian slip there? :P
I must slumber, per se.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »
Funny, I picked that someone would do that, I also thought it would be you :P

you know what they say... old habits die hard *tokes on joint, swigs on bourbon*  ;D
Mongeese like results