Author Topic: Western Front Awards Night '08/'09 - July 17  (Read 38785 times)

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
Re: Western Front Awards Night '08/'09 - July 17
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
Thats an AWESOME review! ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »
Thats an AWESOME review! ;D

Cheers  :headbang:

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
Pity about the politics but...Great night!!  Well done Darren!!
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
Great gig Daz. Pity about the $ situation.
I agree with the idea of a benefit gig.

As long as Daz breaks even on the Metro's gig & then makes enough off a benefit gig, then it should all be worth it.

A W.F tin @ every gig would be a great idea I reckon.

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
Daz is always trying to make the local scene better and to give it more credibility.  What better way than booking the best venue in town? 

I think the gig was great but realistically capitol would have been more fitting and equally as much of a drawcard.

As much as i love the idea of metal gigs being at metro city, i cant see it being financially viable unless you can pull at least 1000 through the door, which is rarely going to happen for local shows.

Unless Darren had some sort of better deal going on then by all means...more gigs at metro city!

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2009, 09:28:28 PM »
I actually found the venue a little weird and intimidating. I mean, it was very big, and the big stage was great..... but I felt like I should be wearing a skimpy cocktail dress w/ sky-high heels and doing coke in the bathroom/talking to boys with fast cars.

So yeah, it has its pros and cons :P
fight like a girl club

Offline amy

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2009, 12:41:07 AM »
your hair looked fab ellie x

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »
Right now I kno wwhat to do if I win the $20 mill plus Jackpot. Buy out perth Metros.  8)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
Ok here is the deal - I'm business savvy enough to not hinge the hopes of not running at a loss on the neccessity of a large turn out. I knew doing the show at this venue would be a slight gamble in perhaps not the same numbers at the familiar venues it's been held at in the past - Amplifier and Capitol, but I negotiated a deal that wouldn't be a loss, and I thought it would be worth it to give local metal a chance on a big stage normally reserved for internation touring acts (there is local metal that has just the same calibre if not better than some). The turn out was still very good for a local show, and management told me they were impressed with how strong the following is for metal compared to other local music styles - hip hop / rock / pop, and the numbers were actually more than some international acts that had been through recently.

The trouble came in with issues I was not made aware of until the last minute, and if I'd be able to factor them in from the start it wouldn't be so bad. I was only made aware on Tuesday that Metros has NO audio gear on stage whatsoever, only the front of house speakers etc. So I had to organise and hire all the foldbacks, mics, stands, cables, effects, mixing desk, technician to deliver and set it up, and a sound engineer for the night.
Huge thanks to Luke and CCA Productions for the gear and set up for a great price, he helped out a lot as he realised the predicament and is familiar with the metal scene. Also to Aidan for doing the sound and helping out with that.

Then I only found out the day before that they don't even have a drum riser there, so that had to be hired and delivery organised on the day, otherwise you would hardly have been able to see the drummers. Thanks to Mark De Vattimo and Metal Mike from Psychonaut for helping out with that. THEN just before the first band was set to start they told me they were planning on charging me $500 for using the lighting rig! Thanks to Beth for doing the lighting on the night and going in beforehand to try set it up.

So for the turnout we got if I'd done the show at Amplifier or Capitol again it would have cost just over $340, doing it at Metros - add an extra $3000 (Keep in mind that is with me wheeling and dealing to get things a lot cheaper).
We sold out Amplifier last year and they actually had to turn people away because they were at capacity. This year I thought perhaps doing it there again, but maybe move it to a larger venue such as Capitol or somewhere else. I contacted the booking agent for Amplifier / Capitol at the start of the year and was told "We have too much metal here this year so we're going to have to pass."
I said that I thought the idea of a venue was to have the maximum amount of people in there and buying drinks, regardless of what style event was on, but he said the owners wanted to share it between other styles. He suggested doing it at the Rocket Room, which although is a great place, is no where near big enough, to which they said to do it over 2 nights. :P
Anyway I left it at that, but a couple of days later he emailed me saying he'd had a rethink and thought maybe he was being a bit harsh and shouldn't penalise people with a good track record. I was already a bit soured after this and then this opportunity at Metros came up and I thought what the hell.

At this stage I haven't made a loss, but I also haven't gotten to pay the bands yet. If I paid them what I wanted to pay them then I would be losing money. I still haven't done the full calculations as I'm waiting on another couple of things, but I could probably still pay them maybe $200 each and not make a loss (which I guess is more they they might get from some other gigs, but as I said not as much as I'd like to pay). That would mean I'd probably just break even, though not get much for my time, petrol, phone calls, etc, or to help fund the running costs of WF, which is what the awards show generally doubles for.

Anyway I might just do something like that and organise a separate fund raiser show later on. I consider the awards show as a success, in that it went smoothly once it was on, and all the bands seemed to enjoy it and the crowd seemed to get into it as well. It was just all the last minute ambush of things and costs on me which put me in a somewhat foul mood and kinda ruined my night. It's not my place to complain though, I did it for the bands and the fans, and hopefully it showed people what is possible and gave some more credibility to the local scene.

Goatlady, that review is great - thanks for that. I also have a review done by WF founder Warmaster, who graced the awards show with his presence which I will put up soon. He must have been amped up by it as had arrived in my inbox by 4am the next morning. ;D

As mentioned in the review the results were as follows:

Best Band: Lacrymae

Best Release 2008: Gallows For Grace, for A Process For The Destruction Of Tomorrow

Best Bassist: Alex from Noctis and Voyager

Best Keyboardist: Jessie from Claim The Throne

Best Drummer: Louis "Disaster" from The Furor and Mhorgl

Best Vocalist: Francesco and Agostino from Lacrymae

Best Guitarist: Mark from Psychonaut

And I have now unlocked the results from the polls, so you can see how it all panned out.

I guess that turned out to be a long winded response but I thought I should clear up a few things.

Darren

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
Congrats Darren, on the whole it was fucking awesome.

FasterLouder have also posted a review: http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/reviews/events/19442/Western_Front_Metal_Awards__Metro_City_170709

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »
Well done Daz If you or any other band wants to try putting another gig on @ Metro's the shit that tripped you up can be factored in from the beginning. Glad to see you were ballsy enough to take the first step upwards for us all.
The venue was obviously a little sketchy that you would be able to deliver, but from what you have said they were obviously pleasantly surprised. That hopefully bodes well for any future gigs to be held there.  :headbang:

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
Well done Daz If you or any other band wants to try putting another gig on @ Metro's the shit that tripped you up can be factored in from the beginning. Glad to see you were ballsy enough to take the first step upwards for us all.
The venue was obviously a little sketchy that you would be able to deliver, but from what you have said they were obviously pleasantly surprised. That hopefully bodes well for any future gigs to be held there.  :headbang:

yeah, sometimes getting the proverbial foot in the door is the hardest part... once its in, you're usually set. Well done Daz. It boggles my mind to imagine local bands on that stage!
Mongeese like results

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »
I like it how the two reviews have different views on whether Lacrymae captured the audiences attention  :P

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
I like it how the two reviews have different views on whether Lacrymae captured the audiences attention  :P

lol, I noticed that. I guess it differed depending on where the reviewer was standing and what they thought of them. Me, I was impressed, and everyone around me seemed to be too. Owen musta been somewhere else :)

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »

lol, I noticed that. I guess it differed depending on where the reviewer was standing and what they thought of them. Me, I was impressed, and everyone around me seemed to be too. Owen musta been somewhere else :)

Yeah, I can understand that. I would be hard pressed to tell you who I was standing next to while watching Lacrymae, as I find their music so engrossing, while for a band that I don't find as interesting I could probably recount exactly where everyone else was standing!

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »

Yeah, I can understand that. I would be hard pressed to tell you who I was standing next to while watching Lacrymae, as I find their music so engrossing, while for a band that I don't find as interesting I could probably recount exactly where everyone else was standing!
See i find them engorssing... for a while...but not for a whole set... hell sometimes not even for a whole song.

While all members obviously have their chops(esp the vocals). I think the songs suffer a lack of tempo dynamic... all their songs seem to plod along in that same mid pace rarely straying either way & while there is some cool stuff going on at times, I always seem to have lost interest by songs middle/end

Needs more THRASH  :eyebrows:

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »
Duly noted ;)

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »
Ahhhhh Daz....

I dunno how you manage to handle shit without losing your cool, you're solid gold man.
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Evil_-_Butterfly

• WF Colonel
  • I want to be unique - just like everybody else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2009, 02:14:08 AM »
I really hope you're able to do another night (or more) there Daz, so BUMMED that I missed it :(

Only fools think they won't be fooled again!

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:54 AM »
Don't take it so seriously.

Having said that EVERY band needs more thrash.
;D

Offline Frankie

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2009, 03:33:02 AM »

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:15 AM »
Don't take it so seriously.

Having said that EVERY band needs more thrash.
;D

More POWAH

Smitty, all seriousness, criticism is always appreciated. I agree with you, this is being currently being rectified with the new material. There's fast shit. There's definitely more influence from symphonic bands like Stormlord and mid-late Dimmu creeping into the stuff we're writing now. We're after a huge dramatic sound, think of a filmscore / band hybrid.

On the other side there'll likely be jazz passages springing up in odd places :lol:

Give it a bit of time so we can orchestrate it and polish it all up - this takes a while unfortunately, but I don't want to be unveiling anything lacklustre. Should be good in time.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79LALnJconQ           :eyebrows:   :headbang:
If Lacrymae do a cover of that song then I'll give you an award for the best local band.. oh wait, there goes that bargaining chip.
 :(

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:58 AM »
Ahhhhh Daz....

I dunno how you manage to handle shit without losing your cool, you're solid gold man.
Cheers Louise, and everyone else that has said kind words.
Trust me, my patience was getting stretched. I had to bite my tongue several times, and I just kept telling myself it's a foot in the door for the metal scene and see how it goes.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2009, 07:10:25 AM »
I'm with loo-ease.  It staggers me how you remain calm in such circumstances, I'd explode in minutes.