Author Topic: Western Front Awards Night '08/'09 - July 17  (Read 38784 times)

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Western Front Awards Night '08/'09 - July 17
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
cant be much surely

yeah im guessin between 15 and 20 but every single time i try and get people to gigs its the first question i get asked

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »
Yeah, $15.. and that's only to cover the extra cost of Metros.. although I've been to recent normal gigs at Amplifier and Hyde Park that have been $13-14 anyway. :P
Also, as I mentioned I managed to get them to drop drink prices for the night so the more you drink the more value you get. ;)
If it is a good turn out and people put plenty of business across the bar, and we impress the Metros crew then it will give me power to negotiate a better deal for next time, and you'll get to see more of your fave bands on the big stage.
:)

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Yeah, $15.. and that's only to cover the extra cost of Metros.. although I've been to recent normal gigs at Amplifier and Hyde Park that have been $13-14 anyway. :P
Also, as I mentioned I managed to get them to drop drink prices for the night so the more you drink the more value you get. ;)
If it is a good turn out and people put plenty of business across the bar, and we impress the Metros crew then it will give me power to negotiate a better deal for next time, and you'll get to see more of your fave bands on the big stage.
:)

you've done well man  :clap:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »
very exciting for this Sat, then the 17th and then the 31st  ripper month!
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline MirrorMirror

• WF Major
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2009, 03:16:24 AM »
cheers, just needed prices for friends! going regardless, tnt is right about the prices ive payed 14 for just the cap/amp gigs some times. $15 is a bargain!
May my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death I will smile.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
For the sake of metal in this state, evrybody should go to this gig.

A good response here will solidify metal music as a viable source of revenue for clubs as well as a source of entertainment for the rest of us.

Times are tough, and venues are being very conservative with their cashflow right now. Unfortunately, most decent venues around town are still of the mindset that heavy metal shows are too much effort to put on, with small crowd response and violent break-outs - ie a liability.

Having such an awesome venue with which to host these awards has to be seen as a huge achievement for metal ALREADY, but to make it a successful, well attended show could really open some avenues for metal.

When we have touring rock/prog/hardcore/metal bands, venues like this are usually packed, so I ask you all: "Can we not get them all back down for ONE significant night on the local roster?" Is it not too much to ask to grab a hold of those lame-ass friends you all have that 'claim' to follow metal, but only really come out to support the touring acts?

Daz, let me just say - YOU deserve the awards, and youve earnt the respect - Ive put shows like this on and I know what a mindscrew it can be coordinating something of this magnitude. You deserve props, not just for this awards night - but for (essentially) single-handedly guiding and supporting the entire metal scene for as long as I can remember (With the help of brothers Clay and Dave, of course!)

Even when I was out playing regular shows in 1996 and 1997 you guys were around helping me and others to get shows when we really had no idea what we were doing - And often when everyone else shut their doors to this kind of music. Your help is not something I would easily forget. Youve never asked anything in return and have always sunk your own time, sweat and shitloads of cash into this endeavour, in the hope that we may have a stronger scene to share in.

Well, we DO have a strong scene thanks to you, so take a bow mate - And for the rest of us who have benefitted from Daz's passion, its time to give something back. Be there, support the show, buy Darren a drink and be appreciative that someone like him exists. Without him, Clay and Dave, Western Front would not have made it to 2009, and many of us would have far few gigs to notch into our belts, if any at all.

Well done.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:54:30 AM by Damo »

Offline HARD

• WF Colonel
  • 2nd RedD album KINGDOMS out August 2011
    • View Profile
    • Red Descending Home Page
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
Hail!   :headbang:

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »

double hailz  :headbang:  :headbang:

ill be there with horns on!!

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2009, 12:30:33 AM »
Epic fail!! i mean epic hail!!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »
And yet, he is still a virgin.   :D

Good work spoonbill.

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
You know I'd be there if I could Daz. In the meantime I'm just spreading the WF word across Europe (well doing my best anyways!)
Cya in October and good luck to all the bands up for awards!  :headbang:
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
Everyone should fucking be @ this.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »
I invited a bunch of people I know to come along with me to this gig, and now I don't have a babysitter for my hellspawn. 

Something will work out. 

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2009, 06:03:55 AM »
what can be used to ward off the gangs out front?

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2009, 06:18:30 AM »
Take the kids!!!

Daz, any chance of sending an invite through facebook? I can forward it to a whole pile of people I know who would be keen for this gig...
?

Offline TB

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:28 AM »

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
I'd already invited her to it ages ago. Forgive her, she's blonde.
;D

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »
I'd already invited her to it ages ago. Forgive her, she's blonde.
;D

Ah fuck off!  :P
Invites posted Tyron- I've got a whole bunch of lazy ass mates who like metal but haven't been to many local shows. Hopefully they'll put the bong down, and get out of the loungeroom for this one!  :headbang:

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »
what can be used to ward off the gangs out front?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dadao_3D.jpg

there's a shop in whitfords that sells these, $275, sharp and really fucken brutal, uncle chop-chop can remove limbs  :headbang:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
those fucks probably cornered the market and bought them all...

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »
I found an alternative...

Mongeese like results

Offline Aeonertia

• WF Lieutenant
  • 9spineS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »
LOL. burn baby burn ;)

Damo is dead right.

s u p p o r t . l o c a l . m e t a l

Death is what makes all creatures equal.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »
For the sake of metal in this state, evrybody should go to this gig.

A good response here will solidify metal music as a viable source of revenue for clubs as well as a source of entertainment for the rest of us.

Times are tough, and venues are being very conservative with their cashflow right now. Unfortunately, most decent venues around town are still of the mindset that heavy metal shows are too much effort to put on, with small crowd response and violent break-outs - ie a liability.

Having such an awesome venue with which to host these awards has to be seen as a huge achievement for metal ALREADY, but to make it a successful, well attended show could really open some avenues for metal.

When we have touring rock/prog/hardcore/metal bands, venues like this are usually packed, so I ask you all: "Can we not get them all back down for ONE significant night on the local roster?" Is it not too much to ask to grab a hold of those lame-ass friends you all have that 'claim' to follow metal, but only really come out to support the touring acts?

Daz, let me just say - YOU deserve the awards, and youve earnt the respect - Ive put shows like this on and I know what a mindscrew it can be coordinating something of this magnitude. You deserve props, not just for this awards night - but for (essentially) single-handedly guiding and supporting the entire metal scene for as long as I can remember (With the help of brothers Clay and Dave, of course!)

Even when I was out playing regular shows in 1996 and 1997 you guys were around helping me and others to get shows when we really had no idea what we were doing - And often when everyone else shut their doors to this kind of music. Your help is not something I would easily forget. Youve never asked anything in return and have always sunk your own time, sweat and shitloads of cash into this endeavour, in the hope that we may have a stronger scene to share in.

Well, we DO have a strong scene thanks to you, so take a bow mate - And for the rest of us who have benefitted from Daz's passion, its time to give something back. Be there, support the show, buy Darren a drink and be appreciative that someone like him exists. Without him, Clay and Dave, Western Front would not have made it to 2009, and many of us would have far few gigs to notch into our belts, if any at all.

Well done.
Ah thanks, Damo.. much appreciated.  :-[
I'm just happy to do what I can to promote the bands and the metal scene. I'm not doing it for recognition but I do appreciate it when people commend me or say thanks for doing what I do - it does make it feel a bit more worthwhile, although the state of the metal scene being as healthy as it is these days does that quite well too.  :)

Having said that, it was awesome and accomplished metal musicians such as yourself Damo, and many others that frequent these pages, that caused me to sit up and take notice and realise it was all well worth promoting and made me want to do whatever I could to see that done.
So thanks to you, the other musicians involved in the scene, past and present, and of course the fans that come along time after time to support it.

Let's face it, we all rule. Brothers and sisters of metal united!
 :headbang:  ;D

Offline METAL_STEVE

• WF Colonel
  • Over worked and under fucked
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
Group hug time :)

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Group hug time :)

YES!!! been waiting a long time for this...  :P