Author Topic: FURMAN power conditioners  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
FURMAN power conditioners
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:43:07 PM »
Ok tech heads I need some input on these highly important devices because they can save an amp from blowing up, frying ect..
Heard alot about them and looked them up online and was wondering who sells them in Perth and are they really that much chop.
Incase of a power failure or if some knob from your band trips over the cable whilst plugged in do they still release power from your amp slowly...
Discuss!
METAL

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: FURMAN power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
Ok tech heads I need some input on these highly important devices because they can save an amp from blowing up, frying ect..
Heard alot about them and looked them up online and was wondering who sells them in Perth and are they really that much chop.
Incase of a power failure or if some knob from your band trips over the cable whilst plugged in do they still release power from your amp slowly...
Discuss!
METAL

Music Park sells them...

Offline MoonStruck

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
I'v only used power conditioners when running numerous components of a rig, e.g. rack effects. I don't know about blowing up your amp, they may save you blowing the fuse in your amp  :o

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
There is no difference between pulling the plug, switching off at the wall, or switching off at the on/off switch on the amp. It's simply not necessary at all to have a device which slowly lowers the power.

In fact, switching off at the switch/wall/pulling plug is BETTER than switching the standby first, then power.

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:39:27 AM »
Really?
I was pretty sure the tubes on my krank shit themselves because this is what i was doing when turning them off.
No standby, just off straight away..
Are they worth buying if you only want to protect the head?

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:58:04 AM »
Really?
I was pretty sure the tubes on my krank shit themselves because this is what i was doing when turning them off.
your amp probably has a fuse that will cut out before anything serious can happen to your amp. it's always handy to carry around a pack of spare fuses!
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 08:14:28 AM »
Really?

Turning off the power only, and not standby, drains the filter caps. You want that. Turning off standby first, doesnt drain the caps. You dont need to "warm down" the tubes. Just switch them off.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 02:26:13 AM »
Ok to clear this up for you Val.
When turning on your amp, turn on the power then then standby.
When turning off your amp, turn off the power then the standby. As Perry said it drains the filter caps.
If this causes your speakers to pop then turn the master volume down before switching the amp off.

What is bad for the amp is if the power goes off then on again. Or large power spikes. This is where a power conditioner is helpfull. most amps are overengineered in this respect & the transformers absorb most of the power issues, if not that is what the fuses are for. However any device that helps reduce wear & tear is a good thing.
Also seeing as you run pedals it would be a good thing for them.
They can also help clean up dirty or dodgy power, which can damage or prematurely wear equipment. Also dirty power can cause some horrible noises, espescially if you have a chain of pedals as you do.

Iam currently trying to wrangle some hospital grade power & iec leads from private sources. Unlike most power leads these fuckers are shielded. They are used on equipment like xray machines to eliminate all forms of hash. You know that annoying sound a mobile phone makes through your amp just before a call comes through, that is one form of hash & these leads pretty much eliminate it. They are expensive as fuck though. Good news is they get tossed after a very short working life. bad news is that they are supposed to be destroyed so they don't end up back in a hospital by some dodgy cost cutting electrician. I have a source that may be able to get me some however.

Offline king_bogan

• WF Corporal
  • The bundy made me do it...
    • View Profile
    • Sight Transcend
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:22:29 AM »
you won't really benifit unless you have a racks of effect and other wank, as it helps keep even power levels, cut down earth noises that you tend to get with lots of different gear all plugged in and cleans up the wiring in the rack.

and cdt beast you can get that stuff from electrical wholesalers for not much more then regular power cable. We've got 500m of fire rated shielded cable thats good enough to use in radio towers, there's bound to be some left over...