Author Topic: Smooth as Silk Lead Tone  (Read 7254 times)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: Smooth as Silk Lead Tone
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 04:12:54 AM »
It is functional indeed if you're happy to drive in second gear. Can easily go at 60km/hr. You'd obviously want to get it fixed, but other than the transmission (auto), it's in reasonable condition.

When it's in "D", it slips out of gear into neutral, but as I said, "2" is fine. I had a quote from a mechanic for a $400 fix. so for $500 all up, it's not a bad car.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
Hmmm... I'll consider it ey, seems ok otherwise... pretty desperate for a car at the moment, but I may be due to receive one in the next few weeks anyway (hopefully)... I'll be in contact if end up falling back on it. :P

Also, I'd assume Reverse and Park work?

It'd suck being capped at 60 though, as my regular travel requirements are gonna be on 80 roads and freeways, and I've been dealing with enough tailgaters while doing the speed limit.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 04:40:51 AM »
If you bought it, you'd want to get the transmission fixed.

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 04:43:34 AM »

have you worked on you legato technique?

that's probably the most important factor! maybe it's just a case of doing some serious practice  :hmm:
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline Sindarion

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • SINDARION- Symphonic Music
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
Yes my legato technique is terrible, I am after all a violin player (and playing a violin will teach you more than any instrument that tone is DEFINATELY in the fingers because you dont have frets).  I am self taught on guitar so anyone with half an ounce of talent would probably tell me "Ahh theres the problem... you suck!!".  There is indeed a "4 The Love" setting on my amp which to my ears sounds nothing like the recording but it still sounds good.  Thanks for all your suggestions, contradictory though they may be :P  I will keep experimenting and, more importantly, practicing.

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
Yes my legato technique is terrible, I am after all a violin player (and playing a violin will teach you more than any instrument that tone is DEFINATELY in the fingers because you dont have frets).  I am self taught on guitar so anyone with half an ounce of talent would probably tell me "Ahh theres the problem... you suck!!".  There is indeed a "4 The Love" setting on my amp which to my ears sounds nothing like the recording but it still sounds good.  Thanks for all your suggestions, contradictory though they may be :P  I will keep experimenting and, more importantly, practicing.
there are a bunch of AMAZING legato players, mostly fusion guys, who you should check out if you haven't already.
Allan Holdsworth is right up the top, and if you want some instructional stuff check out frank gambale's chop builder dvd, which basically goes through how he uses economy picking to achieve a super smooth tone.
for more of the rock/metal thing guys like rusty cooley, or for that matter anyone on the chops from hell website is worth checking out www.chopsfromhell.com has a lot of cool instructional stuff.
best of luck with it all man!
Brain causes alcohol damage