Author Topic: Anyone else here using Reaper ?  (Read 11365 times)

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
Anyone else here using Reaper ?
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
I have just started learning to use Reaper & it fucking kicks ass.

I started with protools but was dissatisfied, have been using Nuendo for a couple of years now, however there are a few things that shit me with it, most of which have been resolved in Cubase5, but  :o the price.
Then I stumbled across Reaper  :o & fuck me it does everything I want & other cool shit I hadn't thought of. A lot of things that you would rely on plugins for, it just does as standard operating options. It is encoded tight as fuck so you can run it off a usb as it doesn't install into the windows directory.
It is based on windows/Linux but will run on a mac.
It is open source design so it is constantly being developed.
If you install it on a usb key & your studio pc never goes online, you can just plug your usb onto your other online pc & it will auto look for any updates/fixes.
If you have a problem the developers also run the forum & being open source everyone on there gets cracking to fix whatever the bug is.
It will run most plugin formats.
It comes with some killer plugs as standard
You can upload a shitload of skins, so if you are used to say PT8 you can make it look similar to PT8 etc
It hasn't crashed
You can minimize Reaper whilst it is performing tasks & work on other shit & it won't crash or freeze.
It auto detects all 4 cpu's on a quad core & puts them to good use.
It has a cpu/ram/hard drive usage screen that can also propegate a list of all plugs in use & exactly how much cpu & ram they are individually eating up.
You can switch your plug graphics skins to a standard boring GUI skin, so you judge your plug by how it sounds not how cool it looks.
You can speed up/slow down the speed of a song without changing it's pitch with a simple slider bar.
The PDF manual is awseome & costantly updated.
You get Reaper free for 30days then it is $70 for a non commercial license & you never have to pay for any upgrades, unlike PT/Nuendo/Cubase. Which all cost a fortune & a small fortune again to upgrade.
Upgrades are constant not in bundles so things don't fuck up so much. If you have a problem with any of the upgrades they will get on it straight away.
The community forum is actually very helpfull.
Everything within this program can be acessed, so you can customise any aspect of it.
You can stem off an entire project into individual stems with one mouse click.
There are no track number restrictions
It has folder tracks to keep your page neat, which can be used as busses.
Audio routing is intense
It can do surround sound & video

The list is endless.   :headbang:

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else here using Reaper ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:28 AM »

can this be use if im going straight from guitar through a effects board into my line-in on the computer.

ive been using a dodgy program called fruitloops to record but its suks!

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:39:29 AM »
good one man, i still use my main program, but found Reaper recently as well.
work at UWA's School Of Music as a Sound guy and had to put together a portable recording solution for the students, and this was free, worked with both my M-Audio sound cards, the 01V96, and the Mackie Onyx with Firewire expansions. when i loaded it onto my own lappy, by default it loaded all my plugins from my other program.

for something that is FREE - it is crazy how up-to-standard it can be. the whole school is ProTools based (ARGHHHHHH) and my studio and the other main studios are all DigiRacks (002s or 003s) and ARGHHHHHHHH.
there is no problems, but Pro Tools likes to FUCK people. and slowly but surely, everyone has started to convert.

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:31 AM »
Hey Simon, I've heard of Reaper a fair while ago now....haven't used it, but have heard great stuff about it.  I'll have to give it a try...
PS Nuendo works well for me  ;)
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »

can this be use if im going straight from guitar through a effects board into my line-in on the computer.

ive been using a dodgy program called fruitloops to record but its suks!

Fruity Loops  :o Jesus Christ.
Yes go online & grab reaper dude.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
good one man, i still use my main program, but found Reaper recently as well.
work at UWA's School Of Music as a Sound guy and had to put together a portable recording solution for the students, and this was free, worked with both my M-Audio sound cards, the 01V96, and the Mackie Onyx with Firewire expansions. when i loaded it onto my own lappy, by default it loaded all my plugins from my other program.

for something that is FREE - it is crazy how up-to-standard it can be. the whole school is ProTools based (ARGHHHHHH) and my studio and the other main studios are all DigiRacks (002s or 003s) and ARGHHHHHHHH.
there is no problems, but Pro Tools likes to FUCK people. and slowly but surely, everyone has started to convert.

I found pro tools LE way to restrictive. I went to Nuendo mainly because of the unlimited track count & that I was unrestricted with soundcard choice.
Reaper however is much better for me. I just upgraded to Reaper3 the other day & it kicks ass.
Having the stem project option is awse, if I need to send a project to someone in TOOLS say for mastering, it makes life simple. A lot of the guys on the Andy Sneap forum use it. Andy likes it as the stemming option makes for less fuckups when sending a non protools session to him for mixing/mastering.

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »

what would you guys recommend in term of sounds card options?

currently i use the on board sounds card as im just a bedroom warrior  :headbang: but want something so i can put some tracks together

Offline Cortex

• WF Major
  • The mind is the rage that can devour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:01:19 PM »
I've been using reaper for ages as well just because I was interested in seeing it progress, always been a fan of justin frankel's work since winamp, ninjam, etc. Very solid program but I can't go past cubase for anything MIDI, and cubase 5 owns my soul.

But yes, fantastic program, cheap, amazing.
http://www.myspace.com/bindingtheflesh

There are no gods, no devils, no angels,
no heaven or hell.
There is only our natural world.
Religion is but myth and superstition
that hardens hearts and enslaves minds

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
The latest version, 3 is a lot better.

Here are some other Reaper functions for anyone who cares.

Plugs can be dragged & dropped, also copied into another track by dragging & dropping from a track, also moving from one track to another like a cut & paste.

If you cut sections of audio onscreen, you can drag & drop VST plugs etc into just the cut section. So you can have seperate vst plugs running for seperate sections of a single wave file.

If your cpu starts to hurt you can stem render tracks that are overloaded with plugs. It puts the rendered version of the track under the origonal & deactivates the origonal track, to free up cpu. If you need to change the sound of the track later, just enable the origonal track, moldify what you need to & re-render.  :D

It also has folder rendering. So you can say render all the guitars down to one track. If you need to get back to individual tracks ust re enable the bastards & render.

You can adjust the pan law centre. Which is extremly handy for those who are physically restricted for speaker placement & find that they have no choice but to have the speakers too close or too far apart.

It supports Rewire

You can use external wave editors ie: Soundforge, from withi the program.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »
Well I have just downloaded reaper as well as the manual. After reading all the good stuff about it. I thought fuck it.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:31 AM »
Starting to get the hang of it. Made a midi test song. Musically it's crap. But I was more concerned about sussing out how to use reaper than my musicianship at the moment. But so far so good. Trying to suss out the drum samples was a bit of a bitch.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »

If your cpu starts to hurt you can stem render tracks that are overloaded with plugs. It puts the rendered version of the track under the origonal & deactivates the origonal track, to free up cpu. If you need to change the sound of the track later, just enable the origonal track, moldify what you need to & re-render.  :D

I think thats a problem I have encounted using Reaper. When I use more than five tracks the record/playback function starts to slowdown and sort of freeze. But I use VST for all five tracks.  But I'm assuming thats a symptom of PC overload.

Another thing. when I recorded a synthesiser part using Arturia Jupiter 8-v. I have had static on some of the synth sounds.

Apart from those 2 issues it's all dandy.

Sorry about bringing up an old thread. But I didn't want to start another reaper thread. Plus this is kind of important.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
What are the specs of your computer. I am running up to 90 tracks ALL with some form of plugin with no issues.
Are you using the regular online update? It will tend to fix these kind of issues.
You can speak to the developer online on the reaper forum.
Also go to the forum & look up your problem, it will most probably be there & will be piss easy to fix, the forum is gold buddy, use it aye.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:35 AM »
when mine dicks out like that if im recording i just turn the plugins on the tracks that arent required off.
If youre using EZdrummer sd2 with all the comps, filters and eqs in the mixng window cranking, then it'll suck cpu like something that gets sucked really hard and profusley. for lack of a better sucking description. like a milkmaid sucking a golf ball thru a garden hose, there ya go.

try changing youre virtual memory in windows also.

at the end of the day though, record everything first, then mix etc. things will work alot easier with those buffers higher. cant expect the compy to run too many vst's on 192buffers and not get all pissed off.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:42 AM »
Computer is an Intell(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 2.8GHZ
2.79GHZ, 1.73GB of  RAM.
Plus a 37.2GB Hard drive with 11.5GB freespace. Had been looking at upgrading. But I might look at the forum first.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »
More ram will help.
Also get a bigger faster drive. The size & drive speed were the reason every DAW kept glitching for me. Upgraded to a fast terrabyte size drive & no problems. Also always have the software on c drive but the job you are working on on a seperate drive. This poses less of a problem with reaper as it can be run off a thumb drive, however I suggest installing it on the c drive & having your project on a seperate drive.
Also when mixing, not tracking give yourself more buffer latency dude.  ;)

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »
1. get your axe from back shed.
2. proceed to assert major aggressive authoritaux on offending equipment. (computer)
3. laugh heartily at your new artistic creation.
4. Proceed to purchase a new and improved.

make sure you can afford it first though of course. i learn these little tips the hard way. tis funny though.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
More ram will help.
Also get a bigger faster drive. The size & drive speed were the reason every DAW kept glitching for me. Upgraded to a fast terrabyte size drive & no problems. Also always have the software on c drive but the job you are working on on a seperate drive. This poses less of a problem with reaper as it can be run off a thumb drive, however I suggest installing it on the c drive & having your project on a seperate drive.
Also when mixing, not tracking give yourself more buffer latency dude.  ;)
Thats what I though the problem would be. I had been looking at more powerful PC's. Theres a brand of PC advertised in one of those computer music magazines, that is specialy designed for DAW's. Can't remember what it is offhand though.

As for the second drive. I happen to have a external hardrive. I use that for backup, incase the PC shits itself and I lose everything.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »
External drives are great for backing up. However when using a DAW you should have 2 drives internally, 1 c drive for the program & a second drive for the work, most DAWs don't like having the project on the same drive as the program.  ;)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 07:01:17 AM »
I might look into the 2nd hard drive this weekend sometime and maybe a bit more ram too.

PS: I feel really uncomfortable using Ram and Hard drive in the same sentence. :P

Offline Alcoholocaust

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
I save everything on my HDD and back it up on my external HDD
Lost a couple of tracks a while ago and i'll never do it again!

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 03:36:20 AM »
I need a new car more than I need a new PC. But the second hardrive would keep going for a while. Although considering the type of PC I have. I'm suprised there wasn't anymore bugs. I figured I'd make sure I knew what I was doing first before upgrading.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 10:13:09 PM »
I need a new car more than I need a new PC. But the second hardrive would keep going for a while. Although considering the type of PC I have. I'm suprised there wasn't anymore bugs. I figured I'd make sure I knew what I was doing first before upgrading.

Your computer is a shitload better than mine... Mines over 10 years old. :S
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 02:20:30 AM »
Just installed the 2nd hard drive and moving the work from the c drive to E. Hopefully that does the trick.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 06:42:56 PM »
 ;)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:09:28 AM »
1. get your axe from back shed.
2. proceed to assert major aggressive authoritaux on offending equipment. (computer)
3. laugh heartily at your new artistic creation.
4. Proceed to purchase a new and improved.

make sure you can afford it first though of course. i learn these little tips the hard way. tis funny though.
This is why I do test runs to start with. Iron out all the bugs before I start recording the more serious stuff. I refuse to say tunage...  :hmm: I just said it. D'oh!

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
2nd drive installed, added 2G ram making it 3.25G ram. Still cracks after the 6th or 7th track if I'm using all VST's. However if I have the 6th or 7th track with no VST's. It's fine.  So I'm guessing it's too much use of VST's thats choking the system. Not sure if a bigger hard drive will make much difference in this instance. I'm thinking of custom building another PC from scratch later on down the track. So this is only temporary anyway.

Generally I'd like to have 6 or 7 tracks any way.
1. Drums
2. Bass
3. Rhythm Guitar*
4. Rhythm Guitar
5. Lead guitar(solos & fills)
6. Vox.
7. Keyboards.
* I find haveing 2 Rhythm Guitar tracks has a much more powerfull sound.

Also anyone know if it is wise to run my line6 pod(original) into the toneport? Or will that fuck up the tone port?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:46:20 AM by Nosaj »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
Dude I run up to 90 tracks all with multiple plugins with no problems. What speed is the drive you got?

Are you using the Reaper plugins. I have found that there were some vst plugs that were on the dodge that crashed different DAWS @ different times. Try turning one off @ a time & see if that is the issue. If it is then you may need to unistall then re install that plugin. Otherwise find another plugin that will do the same job.
Also what is the latency setting. You may be running it way to low.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »
Not sure if buffer means the same as latency. But the buffer was 1200. Sample rate is at 44100htz.
Moved the latency up. It has made a bit of difference. I'm sure it's the VST's.

I use Ezdrummer for 1 track and pod farm for the rest. As well as the Jupiter8-V. They take up alot of CPU usage. There is another VST I have for keyboard.  EDIROL Soundcanvas, it doesn't use as much of the CPU. The Piano,organ stuff sounds ok. But the synths are not very good.

The C drive is 37 gigs. Not sure of the speed.
My new E drive however is 500Gig. I was thinking of switching the drives around. Putting all the C drive stuff into the E drive and making the E drive the C drive. Then using my original drive as the slave.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:09:08 AM by Nosaj »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »
The drive speed is VERY important. The faster the better my man.
I spent a whole year tracking down this problem. It was the reason all of my recording software would glitch. Reaper was the best on slower drives though.

Look into it aye
 ;)

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
Drive speed is important but if the program is running fine when with the same amount of tracks just less plugins then it isnt a drive speed issue but one of RAM or CPU speed.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Interesting you should say CPU. I downloaded a program from Cpuid. It says the Processor is 1 core.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
That probably aint helping my man. It took me 3 computers & 4 DAWs b4 I was happy

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »
I'll have to put up with the limited track usage for the time being. At least I know the limits of my current PC in regards to Reaper. Just bought a new car so money is kinda tight at the moment. But once everything is back to normal I'll look into building a new pc from scratch.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:26 AM »
If your pc is stuggling with Reaper I would hate to see what would happen using other software.  ;)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 08:27:09 AM »
It's not really reaper it's struggling with. It's having a certain number of vst's running. EG:Podfarm.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
try recording the guitars with a more basic stripped back amp plugin then replace it with something better for playback.  ;)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
I can use my line6 pod.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:25:46 AM by Nosaj »