Author Topic: Project guitar neck stuff up!  (Read 2911 times)

Offline soundofthebeast

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Project guitar neck stuff up!
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
I got a jap made ibanez neck for my project guitar. Only problem is i got too excited becuase of the price the silly bugger sold it for and didnt even realise that it was from a non floyd guitar so it has no lock nuts :-[

Anyway what would be the best solution, do a bit of routing to fit some lock nuts or get some locking tuners? Ive never used the locking tuners before so im not sure if they would be up to the job.

Or im up for a trade if anyone is keen.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: Project guitar neck stuff up!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
Locking tuners won't be sufficient. It's the movement of the strings in the nut grooves that cause them to go out of tune.

Offline soundofthebeast

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Project guitar neck stuff up!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
Not what i wanted to hear  :(

I was looking at the sperzel ones http://www.sperzel.com/Models_Colors.asp , which crazy enough only cost maybe $20 more then a whole lock nut set!!

Oh and if it makes a difference ill be running a gotoh (someone tell me how the hell that is prononced so i stop making a fool of myself) licensed floyd rose.

Locking tuners won't be sufficient. It's the movement of the strings in the nut grooves that cause them to go out of tune.

Upon further wasting my sunday i think that when running the locking tuners they are meant to move slightly in the nut and it would all be good is strung correctly. And i just seen you get a new set of locking nuts with the gotoh so maybe it would be cheaper to just get the neck routed.

Its like building a house this thing, too many bloody options!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:48:19 AM by soundofthebeast »