Author Topic: Big news in the Pirate world, TPB goes public on the Swedish Stock Exchange  (Read 2408 times)

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Just read the news on TPB fourms.... Apprently TBP was sold to Global Gaming Factory for between $10 and $30 million.

More info here:
http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=57476

And TPB new update:
http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=57496

The Pirate Bay Will Close Its Tracker and Remove Torrents (Updated)
Written by Ernesto on June 30, 2009 
Alongside the news that The Pirate Bay will sell shares on the Swedish stock market come some other significant changes. The site itself will decentralize and stop hosting and tracking torrents. Instead, The Pirate Bay will use a third party tracker and torrent hosting service to serve its users.

Earlier today The Pirate Bay announced that it would be acquired by Global Gaming Factory X (GGF) who are listed on the Swedish stock market. So, Pirate Bay users can not only share files but they can buy a share of the site as well.

Perhaps even more significant for the BitTorrent community is the thus far unreported decision to close down the BitTorrent tracker. Up until today Pirate Bay?s public tracker connected more than half of all BitTorrent users but this is about to change.

Pirate Bay?s Peter Sunde has informed TorrentFreak that the site will soon decentralize and stop running a BitTorrent tracker of its own. Instead they will encourage their users to use a yet to be launched third party tracker for their torrents.

To decentralize even further, the torrents that will be listed on the site wont be hosted on The Pirate Bay?s servers anymore. In the near future the site will use a new torrent hosting service that will store the torrents for them. This new hosting service will be open to other torrent sites as well and can be accessed through an API.

In the end The Pirate Bay is making these changes to ensure that the BitTorrent ecosystem stays intact no matter what happens, Peter Sunde told TorrentFreak. By decentralizing the different aspects they hope that BitTorrent users will be less reliant on the uptime of The Pirate Bay?s servers alone. The burden will now be spread among several independently operated services.

For now it remains a mystery what GGF CEO Hans Pandeya meant with ?We would like to introduce models which entail that content providers and copyright owners get paid for content that is downloaded via the site.? That?s worrying to say the least.

In addition, GGF also acquired Peerialism who apparently have developed a new P2P distribution technology which will be used on The Pirate Bay. How this related to the new tracker and external torrent hosting remains unknown.

We?re trying to get confirmation and more details from GGF as soon as possible.

Update: According to Johan Sellstr?m, the CTO of Global Gaming Factory, the plans have changed after Peter Sunde talked to us. ?We had discussed closing it down initially so I think thats why he said so. The plan is to use technology from Peerialism that makes bandwidth utilization more efficient and then it would not make sense to shut it dow,? he said, adding. ?Peerialism will modify the tracker but it will be backwards compatible. But all this is subject to change if for some reason it would not work. It is our ambition to do so.?

In other words, if you have anyhting uploaded or downloading from TPB...get it, and kill the torrents...it will all be "legal" soon and who knows what details will be passed to RRIA (Not to mention that Iinet are already in court about "illegal" downloading anyway)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:58:33 AM by DamoESP »
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
*slaps forehead

and here I was hoping to get some 'Skull Branded Pirates' or 'Alestorm' news.... silly me
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Well here ya go.. in proper pirate news, Lucasarts have remade a special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island:

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

:skull:

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
Holy shit now that is awesome.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
*slaps forehead

and here I was hoping to get some 'Skull Branded Pirates' or 'Alestorm' news.... silly me

:rofl:
Me three!

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front