Author Topic: That fine line between Core and Metal  (Read 11588 times)

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
Re: That fine line between Core and Metal
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 09:33:44 AM »
I know the fashion aspect is slightly frustrating, in terms of it's all out trendiness - and the fact it's virtually a mainstream culture now AND the fact most metalcore kids are into the fashion more than the music...
BUT I have heaps of "core" mates, and they're genuine dudes into some good music. And I like SOME bands.
And i gotta say, on the whole, metalcore folk are a lot more normal and friendly than a lot of "real" metal dudes.
Just sayin'...haha

I highly doubt that fashion takes priority over music in the hardcore scene. It's just a look they use to identify with the scene, much like many people here would sport the horrible old jeans with ill-fitting black band shirt look. With spiked wristbands. And long hair. And beards.

Actually, they probably think you all look stupid too, so it's probably best to not get caught up in such pettiness.

:)

Um, what? No.
There are a lot of core kids/dudes/dudettes who dress and love the tunes. BUT the fashion nearly always comes hand in hand. BUT I know from personal experience there are heaps of kids who do the fringe thing, the tunnels, the tight jeans/tight shirts/key hanging off a thing on the back of your jeans/dunlop volleys type look who are just part of the scene, but really don't care about music that much.
And that's because it's a trend. The fringe, the big hoodies, flat brimmed caps etc of the modern metalcore kid have swept into everyday life. It's not a (pardon the pun) fringe lifestyle - it's rife, and trendy.
So of course, like with any trend, you get people who're part of it to be part of something.

And yeah, i wasn't taking the piss on their appearance, and one of the main reason is because I am (and have been for multiple years now) been aware of the fact many metalheads are almost as bad.
But it generally isn't the same really. Long hair + metal shirt is about it for most metal heads. Metalcore kids often dress the same, right down to the same shoes/socks and even underwear. It's crazy!
And I don't care by the way, i'm just commenting on the trend because it exists, and the topic has come up.

But yeah, i wasn't being petty - just commenting on an actual reality. And trying to stick up for "core" kids actually, you seemed to miss that possibly?
I don't care about what they wear, or think it looks stupid. Trends are just intriguing.

Understood, but you said 'most' people in the scene - is that your personal experience? Or is it a smaller but definite handful? I'm genuinely interested, by the way! I just find it hard to believe that a majority of a subculture based around music put fashion above all else...

But then would you consider everyone with a flesh tunnel and black fringe to be a hardcore kid? Like you said, that kind of look has pretty well transcended that scene and rooted itself into the current trend. Something to think about...

By the way, I wasn't referring to you directly when I mentioned pettiness; more so the vast legion of dropkicks who would immediately judge another group of people based on their appearance. You seem to have the right idea.

Either way, all subcultures are a bit moronic, really.

Shutup, fag.

Choke on a thousand cocks, you whore licking mongrel.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
i guess it depends what yer into.
if you are a die hard when it comes to making a statement image wise, then youre not in it as much for the music, its more for the culture and status, which, is what most kids do and music is just part of that.

If your passion is the music, then you become a muso and the rest is secondary.

im not saying non muso's arent into music as much, just stating some priorites.

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
  • Invite the Darkside In....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

You whore licking mongrel.

No, thats me, you must have Nick and i confused...  ;D
Conquest is made from the ashes of ones enemies...

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
Well I think Job For A Cowboy is a ridiculous name for a band
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
if you are a die hard when it comes to making a statement image wise, then youre not in it as much for the music, its more for the culture and status, which, is what most kids do and music is just part of that.

Wise words "goat." (if that is your real description)

So wise in fact, that any argument otherwise is going to be pure bullshit.

So i'm for more people at gigs, just less emo fuckheads.  Hey, funny yet almost related side story, the guitarist called Julian from Atvena's Wake is a filthy christian that told me i was going to burn in hell for wearing an iron maiden shirt growing up.  He was my next door neighbour and i was mates with his bro.  I heard it every single day.  He also used to cry lots and throw house bricks and star pickets at us when he lost a backyard game of basketball.  I used to just laugh (while running quite fast) and get sent home.  So with direct thanks to the Bodom cd i lent his brother in about 96, he is now in a metal (core) band.  True (and splendidly ironic) story.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »

So i'm for more people at gigs, just less emo fuckheads.  Hey, funny yet almost related side story, the guitarist called Julian from Atvena's Wake is a filthy christian that told me i was going to burn in hell for wearing an iron maiden shirt growing up.  He was my next door neighbour and i was mates with his bro.  I heard it every single day.  He also used to cry lots and throw house bricks and star pickets at us when he lost a backyard game of basketball.  I used to just laugh (while running quite fast) and get sent home.  So with direct thanks to the Bodom cd i lent his brother in about 96, he is now in a metal (core) band.  True (and splendidly ironic) story.

+1 for 'filthy christian' description
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 09:55:36 PM »

awwwgh, i was hoping to spark a heated discussion and cop some abuse. ah well. the statement though still stands.
as for the "goat thing, im fucked if know where i got that from really, i joined WF before, years ago, and that was my name then so fuck it, goat it is. ive been thinking of changing it. maybe to Ewe or some other Ovine related aminal.

and on the Emo's thing, how much more serious would their music and bands seem if they dint look like fucking stupid Emos?
I would take them more seriuosly anyway, provided the music wasnt plain old done before pus of course.
a shit muso is just that, regardless of what the guy or gal looks like.

Im a perfect example, i have a head like a goat, and my music sux, i just got the raw end of the deal. :P

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
and on the Emo's thing, how much more serious would their music and bands seem if they dint look like fucking stupid Emos?
I would take them more seriuosly anyway, provided the music wasnt plain old done before pus of course.
I dunno man,... how much more serious can you get than singing about the trials and tribulations of a broken heart and the absolute hardship of teenage high-school life!?!?!
When done with a pair of super-tite pants and a hairstyle that flops dangerously over ones face with reckless abandon, this is about as serious as it gets! If they put on a clown suit, or a scuba outfit, then perhaps it may not seem serious.

You can't really say bands that put effort/thought into their image are instantly putting that side of things before the actual music, in my opinion. Look at the most successful bands in any genre... they all have an "image". It just so happens that the emo/metalcore image looks extremely gay and, rightly, anyone who adopts this is lambasted appropriately (by a minority sadly; mostly looked up to by the general teenage populace)
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
 :sick: - At this thread..

Who fucking cares what someone looks like.. Jarrod from The Amenta is covered in tattoo's, ears stretched & has short hair... Does this mean The Amenta are some shit "core band" now or they dont take their music seriously???

"Archangel" the whole "lets hate on emo's" is old. Get a fucking clue.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 01:14:19 AM »
Death"core" & metal"core" is still metal...

My rule... if it ends in core, it ain't metal. Only genres derived from punk or dance music end in core.

I dunno.  Damaged label themselves "Hatecore" and that was pretty nasty music. 

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 02:39:17 AM »
meh, if its got heavy drums guitars bass and vox, its metal.

i dont care much for labels.

I dunno man,... how much more serious can you get than singing about the trials and tribulations of a broken heart and the absolute hardship of teenage high-school life!?!?!
When done with a pair of super-tite pants and a hairstyle that flops dangerously over ones face with reckless abandon, this is about as serious as it gets! If they put on a clown suit, or a scuba outfit, then perhaps it may not seem serious.

You can't really say bands that put effort/thought into their image are instantly putting that side of things before the actual music, in my opinion. Look at the most successful bands in any genre... they all have an "image". It just so happens that the emo/metalcore image looks extremely gay and, rightly, anyone who adopts this is lambasted appropriately (by a minority sadly; mostly looked up to by the general teenage populace)

like i said, muso's go for the music first and then maybe the appearance or trend second.
without the music they are just fitting a trend. whether that be intentional or just how they are.
the appearance is basicly marketing for that specific genre, it gives the fans a chance to be more included.
so it becomes pretty big business.
clothes, accessories, merchandise, and something to belong to.
all superficial shit yeah, but this is the world we live in and the only way really to make music a bigger business.
and its fucking cool, it would be pretty fuckn boring without it all.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 02:56:23 AM »
also on the "taking the emos more seriously", thats excatly what i mean, the whole look is that of, poor fucking me i have the whole world against me shit.
fucking little brat children act like that for attention. so if they dint act like the world has come to and end then i might take their shit more serious ya know?

i dont fucking despise emos to the point it interupts my day though, that sorta shits been around since the dawn of time, just now its some sort genre or culture. old school shit, way before my time and certianly before emos were here.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 03:31:01 AM »
Like i've told you before B-VEG, the new Amenta album is a far stretch from what they could do! The vocals let the whole album down, it's not because of the "Coreness", it's because (I reckon anyway) he's not on the same wavelength or mindset of the band, the sound they had isn't the same now thanks to him, what was mysterious and devastating at the same time is now something that's just less of both thanks to the vocal and lyrical stylings.

And stretched butholes and tatts aside the demographic it represents just seems to be more 'hatefuled' so to speak.

Speaking of which, bands not as inclined to let you know how much they 'hate' you are much better quality these days (of course subject to opinion) but it's an observation.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 03:43:20 AM »
Like i've told you before B-VEG, the new Amenta album is a far stretch from what they could do! The vocals let the whole album down, it's not because of the "Coreness", it's because (I reckon anyway) he's not on the same wavelength or mindset of the band, the sound they had isn't the same now thanks to him, what was mysterious and devastating at the same time is now something that's just less of both thanks to the vocal and lyrical stylings.

Tim (keyboardist) wrote the lyrics, not Jarrod.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 04:03:56 AM »
Death"core" & metal"core" is still metal...

My rule... if it ends in core, it ain't metal. Only genres derived from punk or dance music end in core.

I dunno.  Damaged label themselves "Hatecore" and that was pretty nasty music. 

I put that aberration down to their rampant drug use.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 05:33:22 AM »

This we can all agree on.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 05:40:15 AM »

This we can all agree on.

Blowjob for a Gayboy seems fitting.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 05:48:05 AM »
You cunts wasted all this time bickering when you could have been appreciating these guys instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtRPMYA5js&feature=related

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »
oh my fucking god that's whats passing for music these days?
i fear for mankind.

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 06:28:05 AM »
Putting together a blackcore band. Any takers?

Offline Funeral Tormentor

• WF Lieutenant
  • disharmonious misanthropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »
is that a racial slur Dutchy?  ;D
www.myspace.com/lordhavoc666 - Dark Misanthropy - Raw Depressive Black Metal

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
is that a racial slur Dutchy?  ;D

Yeah you can't join because you like vegemite too much.

Must have
a) cool sense of fashion (top priority)
b) a love for norwegian black metal or at least read their wiki page and ordered a Bali Dark Throne shirt.

Hairdressing experience is a plus, but not essential.  (Since we kinda like the guys we already have but hey, you might be the next *insert contemporary homosexual celebrity here*)

-IN all seriousness, i say we create a glass ceiling for these fuckers.  i.e. We will only let you be THIS cool. *raises hand to about yai high*

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »

the only genre to be called core is hardcore ala madball etc.

HOLD IT DOWN!!!   :headbang:

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
Freddy Madball did vocals for Agnostic Front at the tender age of 7.

If that isn't hardcore I don't know what is!

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Freddy Madball did vocals for Agnostic Front at the tender age of 7.

If that isn't hardcore I don't know what is!

my balls dropped at age 10 so he's doing pretty good i recks.