Author Topic: TV Shows.  (Read 15471 times)

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
Re: TV Shows.
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
I don't understand itl.  I'm just typing like normal but these boxes just keep popping up.  

It's a plot to send me wiggy, but I shall never surrender.  
I shall go on to the end.  I shall fight in France.  I shall fight on the seas and oceans. I shall fight with growing confidence and strenght in the air.  I shall defend my brain whatever the costs may be.  I will fight them on the beaches, I shall fight them on the landing grounds, I shall fight in the fields and the streets.  I will fight in the hill, I shall NEVER surrender.  And IF, although I do not for a moment believe, this brain - or a large part of it - was subjugated and starving and our empire beyond the seas armed and guarded by the British Fleet will carry on the struggle, until in God's good time,  the new world with all its power and might with....

Damn.  Even Winston himself couldn't talk up the fight to save MY brain.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »
The �'s keep popping up because your horrible "sausage" fingers strike multiple keys at once, causing invalid characters (i.e. symbols WF doesnt recognise) to be displayed.

Try mashing the keyboard with either your elbows or failing that, your forehead. The end result will be less annoying �'s and your posts will probably make a whole lot more sense also (most likely akin to WHAMMYS)! ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Evil_-_Butterfly

• WF Colonel
  • I want to be unique - just like everybody else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
I'm not seeing any boxes or squiggly things... I'm seeing this:    ¦ n b s p ;

What's wrong with me?
Only fools think they won't be fooled again!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
No Penis?   ;D

Offline Evil_-_Butterfly

• WF Colonel
  • I want to be unique - just like everybody else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »
Ahhh craaaap!
Only fools think they won't be fooled again!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:45 AM »
Yeah yeah thread necromancy and all that shit, git farked.

I just had to mention how much I am loving the "Spartacus - Blood and Sand" TV series that is on Fox at the moment.  The first episode was great, and every episode since has been just fucking awesome.  The episode from last night - episode 5 I believe - was so very very cool and bloody....
 If you love very graphic violence and a lot of it, you gotta check it out, fucking wow.   ;D

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »
I'm not seeing any boxes or squiggly things... I'm seeing this:    ¦ n b s p ;

What's wrong with me?
Theres more of that wierd shit in Graham Greens story. The tale of Happy Sinner and WarNick.

Offline mo0se

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »
A few good shows I'd recommend are Ronnie Johns goodtimes campfire jamboree half hour show, Chasers war on everything, That 70's show and my latest one is Happy Days. Seriously, watching that as a kid and watching it now, 2 completely different shows!
People fear the coming of death more than dying

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
speaking of watching shows from the past, Heartbreak High is fun to relive.

Also been watching a bit of Bear Grylls. That cunt is hard to figure out. I dont know if I like him or hate him, but nonetheless I find his show very watchable and interesting.
Mongeese like results

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:16 AM »
I don't know how many of you out there read this stuff, but fans of Ramond Fiest, Robert Jordan, Ian Irvine and the like would be well aware of George R.R. Martin and his series "a Game of Thrones", possibly the bloodthirstiest story of the genre.  You may NOT know however, that HBO has made a deal to buy the saga and is currently filming the shows.  HBO is of course responsible for such classic and extremely high budget shows as Deadwood, the Wire, Rome, the Sopranos, True Blood, Band of Brothers, Carnivale, Entourage and heaps more, and know how to pour the pesos in to create masterpieces. 

It should be enormous, a bloody and vicious epic and it is aimed to hit the screen in 2011.   

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
What era is it based around?
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
No era in Earth history.  FRom Wikepedia:

"The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place in a fictional world, primarily upon a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos.  Most of the characters are human but as the series progresses other races are introduced, such as the cold and menacing Others from the far North and fire-breathing dragons from the East, both races thought to be extinct by the people of the story. There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the journey of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years previously (War of the Usurper) and now seeks to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne. As the series progresses, all three storylines become intensely interwoven and dependent on each other."

My own review:
The series of Books is known as "a Song of Fire and Ice" which the opening tale is "a game of Thrones".  It is typical of many of the fantasy/parallel worlds fiction in that it is based in a era of feudalism, knights and castles, dragons and catapults and so on.  There are the usual fictional races and dark magicians and what have you, and lots of wholesale rape, murder, pillage, betrayal and general unpleasantness.  Although Martin has given us a fresh take, none of this makes the series unique in the genre.
 What makes this saga break free of the pack and stand proud is the sheer brutality and graphic nature of the violence, the heartless and seemingly random decimation of major characters in the story, the fact that the tale is so unpredictible that after 5 books there still isn't a clear "hero". In fact, at the rate of attrition of the nobility, the soldiers and indeed everyone else on the whole continent, you wonder who will be left alive at all.   Martin writes as would a homicidal maniac, a very intelligent homicidal maniac with a vision that we  can't grasp.   It is a saga of majestic slaughter, of the strong destroying the weak, of shifting alliances and a glimpse into the true horror at the core of the human soul.  You can almost hear the metal playing in the background during the fights.  
Awesome shit.  

Hope that helps.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:42:12 PM by Catalyst »

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »
As much as I like reading that stuff (I'm halfway through Feist's complete works right now actually), I have never seen any fantasy series translate well to tv. Recent examples include Merlin and Legend Of The Seeker (based on "The Sword of Truth" novels by Terry Goodkind). They always make me cringe with the hokey acting and language, lame special effects, and just downright childishness. So while I will probably check out at least one or two episodes of this new series with the highest hopes, I'm not expecting much.

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
No era in Earth history.  FRom Wikepedia:

"The story of A Song of Ice and Fire..."

Say no more ;D
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »
Wilfred

New Season starts on SBS tonight!

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
As much as I like reading that stuff (I'm halfway through Feist's complete works right now actually), I have never seen any fantasy series translate well to tv.....while I will probably check out at least one or two episodes of this new series with the highest hopes, I'm not expecting much.
Reading a Feist novel myself right now, "Into a dark Realm".  How far into the series are you?

I wouldn't worry about the show.  HBO are the masters of avoiding dilution of the essence of a tale.  No doubt the story will be stightly reworked, but I have supreme confidence in the production.  The actors will also be top-notch as always, Sean Bean is just one of the actors who have been confirmed. 

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »
Anyone got the Monkey Magic series? That and 'The Goodies' ruled ABC TV when I was a kid  :)
You forgot to add G-Force aka Battle of the Planets to that list. Also Six million Dollar Man.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
As much as I like reading that stuff (I'm halfway through Feist's complete works right now actually), I have never seen any fantasy series translate well to tv.....while I will probably check out at least one or two episodes of this new series with the highest hopes, I'm not expecting much.
Reading a Feist novel myself right now, "Into a dark Realm".  How far into the series are you?

I wouldn't worry about the show.  HBO are the masters of avoiding dilution of the essence of a tale.  No doubt the story will be stightly reworked, but I have supreme confidence in the production.  The actors will also be top-notch as always, Sean Bean is just one of the actors who have been confirmed. 

I just started Shadow of a Dark Queen (Serpentwar saga).
Yeah no doubt I'll still check it out, but whether I keep watching remains to be seen.

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2010, 08:34:51 PM »
i have read the first 4 feist books, first 3 were fantastic, but prince of the blood was painfully boring in my opinion, and apparntly the next one is as well.

Currently reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series, up to book 4, really amazing story, very imaginative and just plain well bizare. and the biggest crossover of genres i've ever read....horror, sci fi, fantasy, western

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »
i have read the first 4 feist books, first 3 were fantastic, but prince of the blood was painfully boring in my opinion, and apparntly the next one is as well.

Currently reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series, up to book 4, really amazing story, very imaginative and just plain well bizare. and the biggest crossover of genres i've ever read....horror, sci fi, fantasy, western

I actually quite enjoyed Prince of the Blood. I didnt think it had time to boring, it was pretty short.
You might like The King's Buccaneer, there's a couple of old characters and it mostly takes place on the sea and distant lands, but it's about as long as Magician, so you may also find it boring.

Dark Tower was cool. Epic. It kind of slowed down around Book 4, but it picks up again pretty quickly in the next three. And if you thought it was bizarre now, you haven't seen anything yet.

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2010, 09:27:01 PM »
my bad actually, im on book 5, i thought book 4 was ok, though i did take a break about half way through it and read something else.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »
usually threads on WF start on a serious topic and end up derailing and spiralling into a pit of nonsense. This one started on TV shows (a serious topic in its own right) but has managed to transform into a thread about BOOKS! you nerdy nerd burgers.
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

Fiest gets better as he goes.  His Serpentwar series is epic. 
I loved The Dark Tower series, totally had me by the balls until book 5.  And then it became harder to read, twisted and odd.  It gets back on track towards the end.
I will give you a hint though:  A couple of pages before the end of the seventh and final book King suggests you stop reading at that point, claiming the journey to be be much more important than the destination or something like that.  I couldn't resist and read on, but I would suggest that you take his advice and stop there. 

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2010, 01:20:37 AM »
haha revenge of the nerds  good cinema!
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"