Author Topic: TV Shows.  (Read 15413 times)

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
TV Shows.
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:26:20 AM »
My lady and I have a routine that every night that we are both home we watch a TV show together, not a piece of shit but a show with something good about it.  We are running out of good shows to watch.  Currently we have got complete - or up to date - series' of the following shows on DIVX:

Absolutely Fabulous, Alias, American Dad, Black Books, Band of Brothers, the Brak Show, Blackadder, Bottom, Californication, Curb your Enthusiasm, Carnivale, Dead like Me, the Dead Zone, Deadwood, Dexter, Dilbert, Entourage, Family Guy, Futurama, Firefly, Heroes, the Goodies (seriously incomplete), Invader Zim, Men Behaving Badly, the Mighty Boosh, Metalocalypse, My name is Earl, NCIS, Oblongs, Red Dwarf, Ren and Stimpy, Rome, Scrubs, the Shield, Seinfeld, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, South Park, Squidbillies, Star Wars - the clone wars, 24, Supernatural, the Simpsons (up to season 14 only), the Sopranos, Terminator - the Sarah Connor Chronicles, Tintin, True Blood, the Wire,Weeds (edit), X-files, the Young ones,  heaps and heaps more.

And then there's the shit that I avoid watching with her, stuff like One Tree Hill, Sex and the City, Melrose Place, 21 Jump Street, Summer Heights High, Kath and Kim, the OC and lots of either girly or agonisingly cringeful stuff..

HBO is bringing out some good looking shows in the coming year, in particular "Pacific" looks like a corker, but in the meantime I am wondering have any of you heard about any shows she and I should be checking out?  

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:24:34 AM by Catalyst »

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: TV Shows.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:34:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of The IT Crowd. Oh, and I notice you're lacking in the Beavis & Butt-Head department too. Sarah Silverman is not too bad either, if you're in the right mood.
Mongeese like results

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:37:53 AM »
Summer Heights High
That show is awesome! :P

If you like random cartoon humour, you can try Frisky Dingo...thats always a good laugh :) (Thanks Melkor for introducing it to me!)

Could also try Ali G show, House MD, I Survived a Japanese Game Show, Red Drawf, Underbelly, Weeds.

Also....Dead Set, Fat Pizza, House of Saddam, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, All Aussie Adventures
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:39:57 AM by DamoESP »
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:40:19 AM »
My lady and I have a routine that every night that we are both home we watch a TV show together, not a piece of shit but a show with something good about it.  We are running out of good shows to watch.  Currently we have got complete - or up to date - series' of the following shows on DIVX:

Absolutely Fabulous, Alias, American Dad, Black Books, Band of Brothers, the Brak Show, Blackadder, Bottom, Californication, Curb your Enthusiasm, Carnivale, Dead like Me, the Dead Zone, Deadwood, Dexter, Dilbert, Entourage, Family Guy, Futurama, Firefly, Heroes, the Goodies (seriously incomplete), Invader Zim, Men Behaving Badly, the Mighty Boosh, Metalocalypse, My name is Earl, NCIS, Oblongs, Red Dwarf, Ren and Stimpy, Rome, Scrubs, the Shield, Seinfeld, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, South Park, Squidbillies, Star Wars - the clone wars, 24, Supernatural, the Simpsons (up to season 14 only), the Sopranos, Terminator - the Sarah Connor Chronicles, Tintin, True Blood, the Wire, X-files, the Young ones,  heaps and heaps more.

And then there's the shit that I avoid watching with her, stuff like One Tree Hill, Sex and the City, Melrose Place, 21 Jump Street, Summer Heights High, Kath and Kim, the OC and lots of either girly or agonisingly cringeful stuff..

HBO is bringing out some good looking shows in the coming year, in particular "Pacific" looks like a corker, but in the meantime I am wondering have any of you heard about any shows she and I should be checking out?  

just for fun I highlighted all the shows I approve of... ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:42:34 AM by Mago_Haydz »
Mongeese like results

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:48:42 AM »

Absolutely Fabulous, Alias, American Dad, Black Books, Band of Brothers, the Brak Show, Blackadder, Bottom, Californication, Curb your Enthusiasm, Carnivale, Dead like Me, the Dead Zone, Deadwood, Dexter, Dilbert, Entourage, Family Guy, Futurama, Firefly, Heroes, the Goodies (seriously incomplete), Invader Zim, Men Behaving Badly, the Mighty Boosh, Metalocalypse, My name is Earl, NCIS, Oblongs, Red Dwarf, Ren and Stimpy, Rome, Scrubs, the Shield, Seinfeld, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, South Park, Squidbillies, Star Wars - the clone wars, 24, Supernatural, the Simpsons (up to season 14 only), the Sopranos, Terminator - the Sarah Connor Chronicles, Tintin, True Blood, the Wire, X-files, the Young ones,  heaps and heaps more.

Not a fan of Band of Brothers or Californication? :(

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:12 AM »
Check out Arrested Development its pretty decent. Though Men Behaving Badly is one of the best shows ever made so i don't know how you could find anything funny after watching that.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:01 AM »

never seen them, so cant comment dude.

How about some of the other old classics like Home Improvement?

I dont think so Tim.

A while ago I downloaded that old show 'Dinosaurs'. The first 2 series. I thought it was just some dumb kids show, but wanted to get all nostalgic... as it turns out, its actually quite funny.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:56:21 AM by Mago_Haydz »
Mongeese like results

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:39 AM »
Seconding Arrested Development, a show that is funny on so many levels with jokes that often reference back to previous seasons, and rewards many repeat viewings. Easily one of my favourite shows of all time. Also for HBO fans sick of cliched cop dramas in the vein of Law and Order and CSI, I highly recommend The Wire. I just picked up seasons 2, 3 and 4 from JB's for only $40 (buy 2, get 1 free).

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:46 AM »
Summer Heights High

If you like random cartoon humour, you can try Frisky Dingo...thats always a good laugh :) (Thanks Melkor for introducing it to me!)

haha frisky dingo, have you watched the second season episodes with that mumbly crack addict chick with the subtitles on? She comes out with some fucken dirty shit.....  :rofl:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:56 AM »

never seen them, so cant comment dude.

How about some of the other old classics like Home Improvement?

I dont think so Tim.

A while ago I downloaded that old show 'Dinosaurs'. The first 2 series. I thought it was just some dumb kids show, but wanted to get all nostalgic... as it turns out, its actually quite funny.

Ah, I suggest that you watch both Band of Brothers and Californication now! Band of Brothers is a series based on WWII...pretty bloody good, produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg.

Californication is really really funny. David Duchovny is great in it, there is heaps of sex, drugs and rock and roll (Henry Rollins is in one episode, and the names of the main characters books are Slayer song titles), also quite a few references to metal in it as well (as David is a pretty big metal fan himself). The first episode starts off with him getting a BJ from a nun...you can't get any better than that :headbang:

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »
Summer Heights High

haha frisky dingo, have you watched the second season episodes with that mumbly crack addict chick with the subtitles on? She comes out with some fucken dirty shit.....  :rofl:

Ah, I dont have the DVD so I havnt seen it with subtitles....I'll have to come around soon and watch it ;)

Offline Grace_Metalious

• WF Colonel
  • He's an alligator ...
    • View Profile
    • The Hellacopters Homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »
OZ! Such a great show!  :o

My main TV loves are sitcoms and crime/thriller dramas.
I would recommend Bones, Law and Order SVU, Starsky and Hutch, Carpoolers, Double The Fist, Numbers, Family Ties, Monkey, Degrassi Junior High/High, Shaun The Sheep, City Homicide and Criminal Minds.

Warriors ... Come out to play!

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 05:34:08 AM »
Shaun The Sheep

hahaha...classic! I love that shit, and of course, Wallace and Grommit.
Mongeese like results

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:23 AM »
there was a english cop show on abc a few years ago, wire in the blood, grim as fuck, best cop show I ever saw, shat all over CSI, law and order, etc
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »
Hmmmm How to reply to everyone at once...

Frisky Dingo?  Sounds odd, I'll check it out.
The Wire is probably one of the best shows ever made, got the first 4 seasons.
House of Saddam?  What the fuck is that?
Never seen Oz, I am told it is great but prison shows freak me out.
Watched Underbelly on the tube, don't have it on DVIX yet.
Red DRAWF?  Is that a spook or a misspelling?
Ali G, fuck no, can't stand the guy.
Fat Pizza!  Forgot all about that, gotta get some.  
Shaun the sheep? What?
Tried Numbers and Criminal minds, didn't grab me.
Arrested Development, eh?  Seen the ads.  Will check it out.
Monkey!!!  Wow, that is one fucked up show, gotta get some.
Aqua Tean hunger Force confuses me, I can't work it out at all.
Dead Set is bizarre.  Daz brings me shows like that, and plenty of other weiiiird shit.

I had a look through our collection, there are a lot of shows on DVD that I haven't got around to processing to DIVX yet, amongst them are seasons of Freeks and Geeks, Kindred-the embraced, Spongebob Squarepants, Dark Angel, the Vicar of Dibly, Battlestar Gallacctica, the Unit, Lexx, the Brittas Empire, Filthy Rich and Catflap, American Gothic, Beavis and Butthead, Married with Childen, Melrose Place, Kingswood Country, Popetown, Open all hours, the Secret Life of us, Love my way, Believe Nothing, Poltergiest- the Legacy, TMNT, Brotherhood, Little Britain, and probably plenty more.  Needless to say, they aren't all winners.  

Some cartoon shows I want to get episodes of are Tripping the Rift, Quads!, Harvey Birdman, Attourney at Law, Drawn Together, the Tick and others I can't remember for the life of me.

If anyone has some cool shit and they want to trade files, I'm interested.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:23 AM »
Also, I hear that "Life on Mars" is worth a look, anyone seen it?

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
I didn't read what anyone else said, so I've probably repeated a few, but here's some to try: The IT Crowd, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Arrested Development, Outrageous Fortune, Skins, Father Ted, All Aussie Adventures, Clerks (as in the animated series based on the movie), Life Support, Spaced, Double The Fist, The Lano and Woodley Show.

There's more but I lost interest.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »
Oh look you just posted something.

The Tick is cool, same with The Maxx.

Oh and Freaks and Geeks isn't terrible if that's on your "to maybe watch" list.

And as with any show worth watching, Aqua Teen Hunger Force only makes (some) sense in sequence.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »
Frisky Dingo?  Sounds odd, I'll check it out. Yeah, its a good cartoon, only two seasons though :( Should have been more. Can pick this up from torrents or the DVDS from JB HiFi

House of Saddam?  Mini series based on Saddam Husseins raise to power, pretty good if you're into that kind of stuff.

Red DRAWF?  Is that a spook or a misspelling? Sorry, that was meant to be Red Dwarf :p

Also, if you are into good WWII Stuff, try the Hitler: Rise of Evil (2 part TV Movie) and Der Untergang (Downfall). Both are about 3 hours long, so always a good time killer :)

I also have a heap of documentries on WWII and stuff like James Camerons' Expedition - Bismarck, so if you dig that stuff, I can give you some names of some good ones to get :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:14:08 AM by DamoESP »

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »
Flight of the Conchords isn't too bad. It's on SBS at the moment after South park. It's similar to the mighty boosh minus the trippy effects.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »
Vicar of Dibley. Classic.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:42 AM »
I would definetly second Oz, i am currently watching the series for a 3rd time, it is really fucking good show, especially if you enjoyed sorpranos

Reaper is a pretty cool show that has unfortunately been cancelled. about a guy who finds out his parents sold his soul to satan before he was born and he has to be hells bounty hunter, really original and pretty funny

Breaking Bad is a show i have just started watching, seen about 4 episodes, about a chemistry teacher who finds out he is going to die and wants to make money for his family, so he starts cooking meth.

Quantum Leap is an old show about a quantum physicist who tries creating a time machine but it back fires, and it teleports him into someones body, and he has to fix some problem, then he hops to another body and fixes that problem. Pretty good

Twilight Zone and Outer Limits - im sure i dont need to explain those

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:02 AM »
Nearly forgot. Two and a Half Men. ;D

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
I won't repeat the ones you already said Jez, but most of what Matt said are tops.

I'm sure I told you about Arrested Development years ago.. one of the best comedy series, and as mentioned it has so many levels and you get even more out of it with repeated viewing. I have all the seasons of it so I can give you a copy.
Flight of the Conchords is classic, I have the two seasons of that for ya.

The UK version of Life on Mars was cool.. didn't get a chance to see much of the US version but as much as I'm hesitant at the US track record of failing at redoing UK shows, the fact it has Harvey Kietel and Michael Imperioli is enough to make me interested to check it out.
Fairly sure you wouldn't handle Oz that well, for the (apparently) obligatory naked blokes and prison man rape etc. I gave it a bit of a chance and saw some potential but it didn't really strike me that much in what I saw to outweigh the previous factor.

As far as other comedies go - 30 Rock, The Hollowmen, Wilfred, (already gave ya Garth Marenghi's Dark Place I believe), Nathan Barley, and there isn't too much to it but Jack of All Trades is a good light hearted laugh, just for Bruce Campbell as the lead being as corny but cool as only he can.  8)

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
oz is amazing. What's better than seeing a prison bitch taking a shit on a neo nazi's face.