Author Topic: Covers  (Read 15009 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Covers
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
Ooh controversy  :hmm:

Theres been a lot of talk about Perth metal bands doing covers/tributes and posts in the 'Musicians Wanted' section about starting cover bands etc. This is all fine, its nothing new and allows bands to play their favourite songs live. Its also a good, fun way to get some randoms into the music. For example, guy/girl who doesnt know much of the local scene rocks up to a gig, band x plays a cover and the person recognises it and in a roundabout way gets more into the band (and hopefully the original material). I think Red Descending did this at their cd launch?

Take 'Sabotage' for example. Awesome Black Sabbath tribute band, lots of fun and great musicians and stage presence. Sabotage has played about 3/4 times (?), never overshadowing MDVs main band Psychonaut. This is the ideal balance for this kind of thing. Even Sabotages BEST set is trumped by Psychonauts worst. People should remember Psychonauts original material and gigs more than Sabotage.

Mhorgl are known for throwing many covers into their sets and even did a set entirely of covers (an Xmas gig i think) yet people like them more for the original material.

Deathlahem are a great local band, around for ages (Whitesands!), that havent played much due to lineup shuffles and work/family commitments. Yet people seem to ALWAYS remember the 'Skeletons Of Society' Slayer gig more than any Deathlahem song, gig or release. This is a bit of a shame as Deathlahems original material is pretty damn awesome.

Im not saying all Perth Metal bands should stop doing them, as I said its a great/fun thing and for many people, perhaps, the only chance of seeing a particular song being played live. But the original material should always be the priority, or we may as well watch Airbag at the Newport.

Discuss: Thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:07:26 PM by Senton »
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Grimmy

• WF Major
  • These mountains which I heart
    • View Profile
    • RTRFM 92.1 Critical Mass
Re: Covers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
"You're saying strange things."

I don't see what the controversy is. Are you saying cover bands are bad? Do you think people are not interested in hearing originals at gigs? I'd be surprised if YOU believed these things, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

People who are interested in local music go to gigs because they primarily want to hear the originals, and any covers that get thrown in to the set is a bonus. Personally I think its great and just goes to show the immense talent we have in Perth when bands can do faithful renditions of more well-known songs. But I can't think of a band who started out doing originals, but now are more remembered for their covers! I don't think Dethlahem falls into this category. People probably remember that gig as an event, without pigeon-holing D'hem as a 'covers' band.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:20:43 AM »
Yeah, when I think of Dethlahem the skeletons of society show doesn't even come to mind until someone else mentions it for me. I'm not sure where this notion of that being their most memorable moment came from - I've never heard that from anyone else.

The Sabotage thing was more about doing faithful renditions of the originals, whereas when original bands throw the odd cover into their set it is cool too. For one, it can be a good way of getting people that aren't as familiar with the band to take a bit more notice, and two, it can be good to see what their interpretation or version is like.
I mean think about how many covers Metallica have done in their history, especially in the early days. People actually like a lot of those more than the original versions. :P

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
Blitzkreig !!

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »
Ahh fair enough OUTVOTED  :laugh: :-[

Ok, lets steer this in a different direction: Whan a band covers a song do you think

A: They should be a faithful to the original as possible

B: Re-interpret the track as if they wrote it themselves?
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:57:47 PM »
Ahh fair enough OUTVOTED  :laugh: :-[

Ok, lets steer this in a different direction: Whan a band covers a song do you think

A: They should be a faithful to the original as possible

B: Re-interpret the track as if they wrote it themselves?

I choose option B
Mongeese like results

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
"You're saying strange things."

I don't see what the controversy is.

The real controversy here scotty is HOW THE FUCK did you manage to get roped into doing a 5 / 1 roster at Iluka ya silly pillock?! I reckon soon you'll be more in touch with the Toolebuc (as in... where the FUCK is Tooleybuc?) metal scene than the perth one... COME HOME SOON SCOTTY WE MISS YOU!!! ;D

Anyways, covers are great and i love seeing local bands do em as they are usually done very well (apart from Wrathchild... FUCK they were AWFUL and BUTCHERED some maiden classics). Its good for bands to throw in a few crowd "favorites" (depending on the crowd you can have your more traditional shit ala metallica, slayer etc .... but for the more ecclectic crowds stuff like kreator, venom, celtic frost always go down a treat also) along with their own originals to keep the energy pumping / crowd interested during their set.

HAHAHAHA

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
Yeah I agree with SOD & TNT. I enjoy a cover during an original set. Dethlahem always throw in a Slayer/Seps/Pantera cover during a set. We've noticed people watching and enjoying but not moshing, as soon as they hear a cover from a favourite band they crack and end up at the front moshing and they stay. Not saying it takes a cover to enjoy an original band but it really can get them going because it's familiar.

I personally think a cover should be done like it is, I have heard some covers fucken butchered in the past and it shits me  :no:

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
Yeah i think it depends entirely on the song and the band...some covers are best left as they are but at the same time i have heard some awesome re-interpretations.

Back when Trident Winter were still gigging regularly we would play a cover a gig, usually along the veins of Judas Priest or Maiden which would get the crowd pumped...but one time we did Saxon-Rock the Nations and i was appauled at the lack of people in the room who knew the lyrics to sing along :P

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
Should have done POWER AND THE GLORY, DENIM AND LEATHER or PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT then ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Funeral Tormentor

• WF Lieutenant
  • disharmonious misanthropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
if i remember correctly The Uncreation did a slayer covers set too.

Yeah i think it depends entirely on the song and the band...some covers are best left as they are but at the same time i have heard some awesome re-interpretations.

I have heard some covers fucken butchered in the past and it shits me  :no:

agreed  ;D

www.myspace.com/lordhavoc666 - Dark Misanthropy - Raw Depressive Black Metal

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I reckon the odd cover here and there is awesome, and sabotage gigs were great fun, would like to see them again some time, or maybe just few sabbath covers next psychonaut gig. Wrathchild were a little disapointing though.

Slightly off topic but has anyone heard adagios cover of immigrant song? fucken epic wank = fucken awesome  :headbang:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »
a good way to tell if a band is much good, is to see how much they butcher a cover, especially if they change it a bit.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
Ooh controversy  :hmm:

Theres been a lot of talk about Perth metal bands doing covers/tributes and posts in the 'Musicians Wanted' section about starting cover bands etc. This is all fine, its nothing new and allows bands to play their favourite songs live. Its also a good, fun way to get some randoms into the music. For example, guy/girl who doesnt know much of the local scene rocks up to a gig, band x plays a cover and the person recognises it and in a roundabout way gets more into the band (and hopefully the original material). I think Red Descending did this at their cd launch?

Take 'Sabotage' for example. Awesome Black Sabbath tribute band, lots of fun and great musicians and stage presence. Sabotage has played about 3/4 times (?), never overshadowing MDVs main band Psychonaut. This is the ideal balance for this kind of thing. Even Sabotages BEST set is trumped by Psychonauts worst. People should remember Psychonauts original material and gigs more than Sabotage.

Mhorgl are known for throwing many covers into their sets and even did a set entirely of covers (an Xmas gig i think) yet people like them more for the original material.

Deathlahem are a great local band, around for ages (Whitesands!), that havent played much due to lineup shuffles and work/family commitments. Yet people seem to ALWAYS remember the 'Skeletons Of Society' Slayer gig more than any Deathlahem song, gig or release. This is a bit of a shame as Deathlahems original material is pretty damn awesome.

Im not saying all Perth Metal bands should stop doing them, as I said its a great/fun thing and for many people, perhaps, the only chance of seeing a particular song being played live. But the original material should always be the priority, or we may as well watch Airbag at the Newport.

Discuss: Thoughts?

Unfortunately, bands dont have any say in what punters choose to remember them for.

Take Kin for example. I played gigs alongside them so many times, knew their songs, knew all the guys in the band, but remember them for the night Kris Falconer came at me with a Chainsaw at the Seaview Tavern as part of their stage show :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:59:23 PM by Damo »

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »
I've always wanted to do a black metal version of the Alice Cooper song 'The Black Widow'. The Uncreation were rehearsing Dissection's 'Where Dead Angels Lie' a while back. I went to the effort of learning to sing it while playing the guitar parts but we lost interest in it for some reason and we never did it live.

I don't think metal will get to the stage where there is a corporate metal covers scene but i don't mind seeing bands throwing in a good cover or two.

Maximum Perversion doing 'Looking In Your Big Brown Eye(s)' seems drunkenly familiar.

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
someone should do a black/death metal cover of star of the county down, that would be fucken sick  :headbang:  :laugh:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 01:58:45 AM »
We are thinking of doing our first ever cover at our next launch, hopefully something commercial we can heavy up.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »
We are thinking of doing our first ever cover at our next launch, hopefully something commercial we can heavy up.

I think a Michael Jackson song would be fitting... Alien Ant Farm managed to butcher Smooth Criminal - Im sure you guys can do a MUCH better job than that. ;)
Mongeese like results

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 02:56:04 AM »

Offline DemiseOfSanity

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 05:21:23 AM »
When I moved here I had  no clue (still dont) about the local scene, I saw a few local bands I didnt enjoy and pretty much gave up till I saw Sabotage, I thought they were fucking awesome so I checked out Psychonaut, who also happen to be fucking awesome. Then I started going to Psychonaut gigs knowing that I'd atleast enjoy one of the bands on the bill and could check out the others. Hence finding more local bands I like and me forcing a few mates along.

Moral of the story; coverbands do draw people in.

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:21 AM »
I've always wanted to do a black metal version of the Alice Cooper song 'The Black Widow'.

Yes!!! Welcome to my nightmare is such a kick ass album.
Would you do the museum intro too? Hahaha I used to know that part off by heart when I was a kid. My teachers were quite worried.
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 05:52:26 AM »
Haha, when I was in high school I actually wrote the intro into a science assignment on spiders. Of course I quoted where it came from and the teacher was kind of impressed. I got into Billion Dollar Babies while everyone else was getting into whatever was on the Radio\VideoHits at the time. The other kids at school couldn't really understand it.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 05:57:09 AM »

I think a Michael Jackson song would be fitting... Alien Ant Farm managed to butcher Smooth Criminal - Im sure you guys can do a MUCH better job than that. ;)

I am actually hoping to do Faith No More's "Midlife Crisis". 

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 06:06:20 AM »
Cover this

What an awesome song! Good voice. Haha, funny song too. I'm glad I watched that. Now who will be the first to cover this masterpiece?.....

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »

I am actually hoping to do Faith No More's "Midlife Crisis". 

That would be a good choice, although I'm yet to hear a good Faith no More cover.