Author Topic: Rick Astley and Nirvana  (Read 7451 times)

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Astley and Nirvana
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
music's subjective hey, if you listen to something and don't like it then fair enough YOU DON'T FUCKEN LIKE IT!!! Nirvana has always been meh to me since I turned 17 and I don't give a shit if that makes me retarded in someone elses eyes, way over trying to like something just because everyone else does....

I totally agree... and on the other hand, if you DO like something no matter what it is, you shouldnt be ashamed to admit you do. I consider myself a fan of music.... it just so happens that my taste sways heavily (pardon the pun) towards metal most of the time.
Conversely, some people try not to like something just because everyone else does. If some music is too 'mainstream' and popular, you lose all credibilty for admitting that you like it around certain circles of people. I agree with the above post... It sums up the whole thing nicely.

I can totally see why some people wouldn't like Nirvana. It's not the sound for everyone. Albums like Bleach, In Utero and Incesticide may not be heavy metal, though they sure are heavy music!
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 06:58:01 AM »
music's subjective hey, if you listen to something and don't like it then fair enough YOU DON'T FUCKEN LIKE IT!!! Nirvana has always been meh to me since I turned 17 and I don't give a shit if that makes me retarded in someone elses eyes, way over trying to like something just because everyone else does....

i dint mind nirvana, never owned a cd of theirs but they were ok, i thought they were getting alot better toward the end there too.

If only everyone else was did stuff cause they wanted to, instead of being a fucking sheep,
That music and lyrics from Nirvana flew in the face of all the glam stuff that was still dragging along at that particular time. But it was more the lyrics than the music. I remember getting into all the hair metal stuff, then Nirvana's Smells like Teen spirit virtualy came out of nowhere and it was like"What the hell was that?"

Altho I wasn't all that impressed with Nirvana to being with, but they grew on me after a while.   Realised I related more to the grunge rock than the glam rock.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
This is the best though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnuHJZMdako
;D

The video clip alone is classic.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »
You got that right, funny shit. 

Mind you, I always thought that the real Nirvana vid was one of the greatest ever.  For its time it was a fresh take and had some powerful imagery. 

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
I never got into them... ever.

thats fair enough... but at least you didnt bag them out and go on about how crap they are and that if you like Nirvana you cant be a real metalhead...

Hey, I could, if you like... :)

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »

Mind you, I always thought that the real Nirvana vid was one of the greatest ever.  For its time it was a fresh take and had some powerful imagery. 
i always thought, the "freak on a leash" vid was fuckn really cool. gets me everytime i see it.
Im not a korn fan, though it does taste good. the vege that is.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »

i always thought, the "freak on a leash" vid was fuckn really cool. gets me everytime i see it.
Im not a korn fan, though it does taste good. the vege that is.

I dont like Korn, but I dont mind that song. The 90's was definitely the best era for music clips. Soungarden's Black Hole Sun springs to mind as one of my favourite clips.
Mongeese like results

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »
wait till you see the clip for set sail on ale, that mutherfucker is going to revolutionize music videos  :headbang:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 02:53:47 AM »
nirvana = most overated band in history

Yes, sir  +1

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »
I've always liked Nirvana, I think they're quite under rated as muso's and song writers. The songs just don't seem to get old and all have a great feel to them.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I've always liked Nirvana, I think they're quite under rated as muso's and song writers. The songs just don't seem to get old and all have a great feel to them.

I just hate how as soon as Kurt died their fan base quadrupled over night. At least I know I was a fan pre-shotgun.
Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
When he died I became a Courtney Love fan.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 02:51:39 AM »
When he died, Dave Grohl stepped out of Cobain's shadow, and now we have the self-titled Foo Fighters album, Colour And The Shape and the awesome Probot album to enjoy.  Thank you Kurt.... for making all this possible.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 05:53:15 AM »
You make a good point, now I wish he wasn't dead.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »

One of the guys from Devo(The flower pot men. :P)  produced that clip. Heard that from 96fm.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
When he died, Dave Grohl stepped out of Cobain's shadow, and now we have the self-titled Foo Fighters album, Colour And The Shape and the awesome Probot album to enjoy.  Thank you Kurt.... for making all this possible.

Foo Fighters history is quite interesting. Apparently Dave had written shitloads of songs while Nirvana were still going, but never showed any of them to Kurt because he never thought they were good enough because in his eyes, Kurt was the greatest song writer ever. The self titled album doesnt mention Dave's name on it anywhere at all (or at least didnt originally), is purely a solo album and he just wanted it to make a name for itself rather than ride on the coat tails of Nirvana. I actually think he has surpassed Nirvana's pre-death popularity now. That is to say, Foo Fighters are bigger now than Nirvana ever were, until that fateful shotgun blast. I'm kinda glad Nirvana stopped where they did, because they couldnt have got any better than they were, and they would have just faded out into obscurity with maybe a couple of sub-par albums to take the shine off Nevermind, In Utero etc. At least this way they went out at the top of their game....
Mongeese like results

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
but the foo fighter are so fucken bad, even nirvana shits all over them. Seriously some of the most boring, repetitive music I've ever had to listen to. But maybe thats just me, straight out rock in general just doesn't do it anymore...
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 05:08:37 PM »
but the foo fighter are so fucken bad, even nirvana shits all over them. Seriously some of the most boring, repetitive music I've ever had to listen to. But maybe thats just me, straight out rock in general just doesn't do it anymore...

once again, I love em... I dont really know what it is; they just grab me.
Mongeese like results

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »
fair enough, I remember when I first heard them I thought I should like em but just didn't. Couldn't get into it, I guess you can't force music

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »

Foo Fighters have really good sound production, they found a good blend that works for em. Im pretty sure Dave does alot of the recording in his home studio. it really helps if you can be at the helm when you record and mix your stuff.
Their songs are pretty catchy too.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »

Foo Fighters have really good sound production, they found a good blend that works for em. Im pretty sure Dave does alot of the recording in his home studio. it really helps if you can be at the helm when you record and mix your stuff.
Their songs are pretty catchy too.

yeah, I think you are right. The older stuff, some of the more obscure songs found at the end of the early albums are the ones I like the best. He did the entire first album out of his own studio Im pretty sure. He probably still does. Very talented man.
Mongeese like results

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »

Self titled and colour and the shape FTW!

Nothing Left to lose is ok too......then it's a little formulaic from there on...

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 09:48:29 PM »

Nothing Left to lose is ok too......then it's a little formulaic from there on...

Exactly. +1, although I would replace "Formulaic" with "commercial".

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »

Exactly. +1, although I would replace "Formulaic" with "commercial".
Self titled Foo Fighters album is a masterpiece. I really don't care to listen to any of the later Foo Fighters CDs but the first one is so fucking amazing. His playing of all the instruments is catchy, interesting, and, yes, perhaps commercial sounding, but only because it has good hooks and strong melodies.
I really dig the way Dave Grohl thinks in terms of rhythm and structure etc. Listen to his drumming on QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf.... it's mind blowing and very technical but ten times more soulful and musical than most popular, 'amazing' tech-death speedkings who play fast but have no soul what so ever!

On Nirvana; although it's probably my least favourite album, if you watch the Classic Albums DVD of Nevermind you can get an appreciation for just how complex their music really is. Dave's harmony vocals on that record are pretty stunning, too.
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2009, 04:18:46 AM »

I just hate how as soon as Kurt died their fan base quadrupled over night. At least I know I was a fan pre-shotgun.
If thats the case than I implore everyone on here. DO NOT what ever you do under any circumstances. Kill Rick Astley. :raspberry: