Author Topic: Dream Theater Australian/New Zealand tour  (Read 21834 times)

Offline Justooon

• WF Private
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Theater Australian/New Zealand tour
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »
Set list linked above was not last nights setlist..

I think they played a brilliant show.
missed POS, didnt even know they were on the bill...

Great gig.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »
I don't get why people go so crazy over DT. Their music is cold and extremely pretentious. They had their VERY occasional moments on a couple of older albums but that's about as far as it goes. Still only moments though, they really have no idea how to write a song, all they do is go on stupidly long and boring tangents which have no relevance to the cores of the songs, passing them off as 'progressive'.

Petrucci can shred, no doubt, but does he ever play anything you can actually whistle along to?

Portnoy is over-rated. Much like Petrucci, he has technical skills but he never plays anything tasty.

Don't get me started on LaBrie. The guy has the worst voice in history. No control, no dynamics, no melody. Very annoying.

Not quite sure what the point was in posting that.

I suppose every bedroom hero guitar / drum / keyboard dweeb needs technical inspiration to get their chops up. :P

Truly though, I completely agree. When musicality takes a back seat to technicality, it stops being music and essentially becomes an extended instrumental workout... and that's just no fun for me to listen to or watch, especially when it comprises half of a 150 minute set. No emotional dynamic - it's so robotic, and I just can't dig it.

That being said, I disagree about Portnoy, I think he's a great drummer when he shows a bit of restraint.

Gotta say though, Rudess is a fucking wanking hack. He's really awful, and has none of the class and taste that Kevin Moore had.

Offline PremierMaelstrom

• WF Colonel
  • PROGRESS
    • View Profile
    • NeXuS - just fucking metal
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
Anyone who doesnt like POS can die in a house fire.

They shouldve familiarised themselves with the recordings before they went to watch them.

Made my fucking week.

(Dt was good too)
It all catches up on you when you slow down ...

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
POS aka piece of shit....well i am ready for a the house fire...  tried to familiarise myself before, I really did...but ended up vomiting anyway

what a fucking show by DT...9/10  1/10 lost for choice of support act   ;D
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
I saw a fairly large Pain Of Salvation tattoo on a pretty attractive Swedish girl once.

"Yeah, yeah those guys are... they're ahhh... they, they're not bad"
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
I don't get why people go so crazy over DT. Their music is cold and extremely pretentious. They had their VERY occasional moments on a couple of older albums but that's about as far as it goes. Still only moments though, they really have no idea how to write a song, all they do is go on stupidly long and boring tangents which have no relevance to the cores of the songs, passing them off as 'progressive'.

Petrucci can shred, no doubt, but does he ever play anything you can actually whistle along to?

Portnoy is over-rated. Much like Petrucci, he has technical skills but he never plays anything tasty.

Don't get me started on LaBrie. The guy has the worst voice in history. No control, no dynamics, no melody. Very annoying.

I suppose every bedroom hero guitar / drum / keyboard dweeb needs technical inspiration to get their chops up. :P

Truly though, I completely agree. When musicality takes a back seat to technicality, it stops being music and essentially becomes an extended instrumental workout... and that's just no fun for me to listen to or watch, especially when it comprises half of a 150 minute set. No emotional dynamic - it's so robotic, and I just can't dig it.

That being said, I disagree about Portnoy, I think he's a great drummer when he shows a bit of restraint.

Gotta say though, Rudess is a fucking wanking hack. He's really awful, and has none of the class and taste that Kevin Moore had.

Agree on all points...

Not trying to totally rip into DT, but I've always thought DT is to progressive metal, what Dragonforce is to power metal.

Kevin Codfert from Adagio... now that's some piano playing. :P

Anyone who doesnt like POS can die in a house fire.

:D
I must slumber, per se.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
...yeah well give Portnoy the run down on why he sucks and why Petrucci shouldnt display talents obviously not many guitarists possess...fucking hell  ::)   

its always too this or too that or i dont like the colour of the guitars or the JP's arms are to big... or some other fucking bitch winge! 

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
...yeah well give Portnoy the run down on why he sucks and why Petrucci shouldnt display talents obviously not many guitarists possess...fucking hell  ::)   

its always too this or too that or i dont like the colour of the guitars or the JP's arms are to big... or some other fucking bitch winge! 

shutup Slayer hater :D
Mongeese like results

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

+1
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »

well...talk about flat and one dimensional... 8)     its King hater to be more precise

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
so...did any the DT haters go and and stay after pos wrapped up?  seemed pretty full and vocal for such a shit band... :hmm: 

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »

well...talk about flat and one dimensional... 8)     its King hater to be more precise

yeah well, precision has never been Kerry's strong point :P
Mongeese like results

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
Ha has always been Slayer's weakest link. Luckily Jeff, Dave and Tom more than made up for him.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2009, 12:12:12 AM »
Ha has always been Slayer's weakest link. Luckily Jeff, Dave and Tom more than made up for him.
makes you wonder how someone so bad can have such a long and successful career...
Mongeese like results

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »

I think you entirely missed the point others were making... for one, Portnoy is awesome no matter what, and he was easily the most interesting element of Dream Theater's show, for me at least... and it's not an issue with Petrucci or whoever else displaying their excellent skills, but the fact that their technical ability seems to be more of a focus than their music/songwriting. At the end of the day, it's not only about how good you are at playing your instrument, but how entertaining your music is, and I believe the challenge a good prog band must face is to not sound like they are trying as hard as they can to be technical, avoiding putting it before the musical content of the song itself.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »
i didn't really miss the point cos I have found it entertaining and to point out there have been enough stabs at the wanking hack rudess, and the over-rated portnoy and so on...either way, fuck it the gig went off

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2009, 02:56:14 AM »
I like some Dream Theater, but I agree that they are overrated. They have always seemed to put being technical in front of song writing or flow. Which is why I consider Pain of Salvation to be a better example of prog metal. They write great songs that be listened to both casually or in depth depending on your mood. And their technical moments seem to be more natural and less forced when compared to DT.

Also RE Portnoy; he is in no way a shit drummer. He is very talented and probably the most entertaining part of DT. I just find that some DT fans put him on such a high pedestal and are not open to the possibility that maybe there are other drummers out there who are more skilled.

POS aka piece of shit....well i am ready for a the house fire...  tried to familiarise myself before, I really did...but ended up vomiting anyway

what a fucking show by DT...9/10  1/10 lost for choice of support act   ;D

Care to elaborate on what exactly is wrong with them?

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »
I'm not saying Portnoy is shit. He has massive technical ability, but I think much like Petrucci, he rarely does cool and tasteful stuff. He may as well be a robot reading sheet music.

What I find really humurous about the band is that Portnoy has decided to start doing vocals. Now they have 2 horrendous singers!

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »
lol
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »
This must be another version of the Metallica vs Megadeth debate.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:26 AM »
That one is easy to settle, they're both shit.

Then again, I guess it is a pretty tough call to decide which is the worst.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline PremierMaelstrom

• WF Colonel
  • PROGRESS
    • View Profile
    • NeXuS - just fucking metal
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »
They write great songs that be listened to both casually or in depth depending on your mood. And their technical moments seem to be more natural and less forced when compared to DT.

Astute Observation!

I am in now way comparing these two bands.
ive been a DT fan since 2000. POS only the last couple years.

(But, vocally at least, POS stood out as far stronger  ;) )
It all catches up on you when you slow down ...

Offline LeOniuS

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »
I thought it was a solid gig. I kinda felt jipped that POS didn't at least play a couple from Scarsick - I mean fuck its their latest album is it not? Con.

DT were solid as expected - aside from boring as fuck Pull me Under and the usual wanking from Petch and Rudess midway through. Granted there is wanking in most of their songs to some extent, but they also write music too. Count of Tuscany and Hollow Years were stand outs IMO.

Btw I was at the very top level.. and during that song did anyone see a massive fucking lens cap from one of the huge cameras up top fall onto someones head? Must've weighed a ton, then bounced down to the next level. Everyone fully stopped and looked at him - I was surprised he wasn't passed out on the floor or at least bleeding from the head. Almost sue the club for that shit. Dodgy as fuck.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2009, 07:25:16 AM »
Imagine you are a mathematical genius. You are among the brightest in the world.

You have absolute potential to do wonderful things with your gift. You could make waves in physics, astronomy, computing. You could go on to accomplish amazing things, even revolutionise the way we live. You could change the world for the better, or at least contribute to it.

But that's not your thing. You'd rather do rainman style on-request complex mental sums in order to impress people at parties.

(It is a maths analogy. Think about it.)

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
I like some Dream Theater, but I agree that they are overrated. They have always seemed to put being technical in front of song writing or flow. Which is why I consider Pain of Salvation to be a better example of prog metal. They write great songs that be listened to both casually or in depth depending on your mood. And their technical moments seem to be more natural and less forced when compared to DT.

Exactly... I always seem to notice that in a lot of DT songs, where they'll change into a riff for the main soloing, but the riff totally seems like it was sticky-taped into the middle of the song, for the sake of maintaining the "every song has to have solos" tradition, rather than being a natural progression from the rest of the song.

I do think they have a few really well written songs, but the solid quality of each album doesn't compare to some of the other similarly regarded prog metal albums.

I actually quite enjoyed the song "Octavarium" off the album of the same name, and a few of the other tracks on it (which I've found is less popular with most Dream Theater fans I know), but I still think it can't compare to masterpiece albums like Symphony X's "Divine Wings Of Tragedy" or Beyond Twilight's "For The Love Of Art And The Making"... or more pertinently, Pain Of Salvation's "The Perfect Element, Part I"/"One Hour By The Concrete Lake".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:31:50 AM by dparker »
I must slumber, per se.