Poll

Best film of the 6

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Author Topic: The Star Wars thread  (Read 10775 times)

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
The Star Wars thread
« on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »
Ok I thought it was about time someone started a Star Wars related thread.

Obviously The Phantom Menace sucked balls, but for me its hard to pick a favourite between Empire, Return and Revenge; but as far as plot development, characterisation and cliff hanging awesomeness goes it'd probably be Empire Strikes back...

But then again, seeing Annakin go loco in Revenge was highly entertaining, and I like the idea of an evil protagonist trudging the film through to an unhappy ending.

Discuss...    :D
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
Re: The Star Wars thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »
Hooray star wars.

Original trilogy > prequel trilogy.

That knobjockey they got to play Anakin in the 2nd and 3rd really ruined what coulda been an epic fall from grace. Seriously some of his dialogue is so pathetic it actually makes me laugh out loud. That being said, the lightsaber duels in the prequel trilogy shat all over the originals, but ill chalk that up to technology etc.

Oh and Yoda kicking ass with lightsaber is about the only other good thing the prequel trilogy has to offer.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:08:27 AM »
I thought The Empire Strikes Back was the best. Closely followed by Return of The Jedi. The last three had their moments but like a lot of other people I was slightly dissapointed.

Who is the biggest Star Wars fan in the metal scene? I may know someone who could be that person.

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:28:53 AM »
The Chad Vader series on Youtube is funny as hell.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »
Empire

Hands down!

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
Sorry, the answer is none of them.  The expanded universe is so much better than the movies.

The original movies were great, but were nowhere near brutal enough.  The books/comics and video games are far more gritty and hateful.
For example, there is a series of 20 or so books called the New Jedi Order that occurred 25 years after the events of Return of the Jedi.  At this point the Jedi Order has begun to regenerate, there is around 100 jedi.  Han and Leia have spawned three jedi children and Luke and Mara Jade (a former dark jedi and assassin for Palpantine) have had a single force strong child.  The war between the New Republic (you would know it as the rebellion)and the Imperial remnant has finally ended, with a truce that allows the empire to endure restricted to a small area of the galaxy, around a thousand systems.   All the major characters of the films still live, as well as heaps of other important characters who have been introduced in the 50 or so novels and thousand comics that hav continued the saga.

For the first time in the galaxys' history, a race of beings has entered the galaxy from another one, a journey that has taken generations.  They travel in Worldships, gigantic vessles that dwarf the death stars and - like all this races' "technology" is completely organic, and alien in the extreme. They are called the Yuuzhan Vong.
 Their frontline fighters are known as "Coralskippers" and are a form of grown coral shell with organisms incorperated into them that can produce singularities for moment, plasma for weapons and clouds of othr offensive weapons that the citizens of the Galaxy have little defence against, and I gotta tell you that this is the very least of their bizarre technology. 
They have no interest in settling and coexisting, believing that the Galaxy has been granted to them by the vicious Gods they worship blindly, that their entire society revolves around.  They are worshipers of pain and suffering, torturing and mutilating themselves and all others that fall into their clutches.  Despising all mechinaical constructs, they lay waste to every planet they conquer, seeding them with horrific and extremely alien new Vong lifeforms.  Other planets they simply incinerate or destroy with organic toxins, nothing can stand against them.  To make things even worse, the Jedi can't use the force to fight them as they do not appear in the force at all and that is most inconvenient as the Yuuzhan Vong warrior class are huge bastards who fight like ninjas and use living weapons and armour that even a lightsaber can't put a dent in.  To fight them as one warrior to another without the force to read their opponents and pre-empt their movements, the Jedi are giving a much harder problem.

The Republic is becoming corrupt again like it once was before the empire and instead of throwing the weight of the Galaxys' formidable weapons at the Vong, endless debate goes on.  The Jedi ally themselves with anyone who will fight rathger than talk, ansd go to war against this unstoppable enemy.  In stragetically important battles, the Jedi are able to come out victorious over the Vong, not defeating them but slowing their advance, and giving the Republic time to get their armadas recommissioned and ready to fight.  But at a great cost in lives, including the mighty Chewbacca.  Trillians die, often horrifically.  The Vong, consumate liars and master manipulators declare that they will spare any planet which hands over its Jedi to them Vong, and the despertate people of the Galaxy are willing to do anything to avoid the total annihilation that seems inevitable.  The Jedi find themselves with few friends, dwindling resources and losing numbers.  The Vong don't stop there though, their bio-engineers known as "Shapers" create ghastly creatures that can detect force users and have a battery of Jedi-killing weapons.  It is in battle with these Horrors that Annikan Solo, son of Leia and Han is killed when a group of teenage Jedi attack a shaper worldship in an attempt to extermine the beasts and end the threat.  Jacen Solo is captured and Jaina Solo is driven to the dark side, adding even more chaos to the Jedi Order.

The Yuuzhan Vong are cunning and brutal and never do as predicted, they cut a swathe of destruction across the Stars.  Even Corescant, the Planetcity which is the central planet of the Galaxy falls to them, and the vong reshape it to their needs, at the expense of billions of lives.  But this decentralisation of the Republic works againt the Vong, as the mighty war machine of the Republic scatters into thousands of Guerilla-style rebellions, and retired master tacticians like Admiral Ackbar come out of retirement to mastermind impossible victories.   The Jedi are able to pull together in the face an armageddon and become the rallying point for the fightback, and through some costly and terrible battles, the Vong taste defeat for the first time.  Internal strife is eating away at the YuuZan Vong heirachy as new alien ideas are being introduced to the lowest echelons of the Vong society.  Their strength is being diminished also, as Jacen Solo - always an unusual Force-user - is unable to be broken by the torture and mind manipulation inflicted on him and using the controlling implants they installed in him and his jedi gifts is able to turn the organic Vong "technology" to serve his purposes.   

The War rages on.....

But that's all you get.  I'm already two hours late for work.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:02:31 PM by Catalyst »

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
First two are my favourites. I also think that the prequels would be ten times better if Darth Maul stayed on as the main villain and then gets killed off by Anakin in the last movie or something like that. And dubbing Hayden Christensen into ROTJ on the DVD was one of the worst things they could of done.

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
yeah Empire Strikes Back anyday, how could anyone vote for revenge of the shit over that? haha, nah I guess if you prefer that one you prefer that one, still would have expected new hope or return of the jedi to have more votes than revenge...

When my housemate and I started learning fire we would refer to it in star wars terms, my mates (ex)girlfriend was teaching us so we would call her "Master Sharee" when playing with fire, and we'd call each other padowans. Some of the moves were like learning force shit though, I'd be like "how the fuck did I do that, bypassing the laws of time and space, must be the jedi skills." Plus it taught respect and humility, as soon as I started getting a big head and breaking concentration to think on how awesome I was I'd get smashed in the face or balls, good times.
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
That, and giving Bobba Fett a kiwi accent.

'His no good to mi did bro'

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »
Empire. Revenge of the sith was good. But it could have been alot better too. Hayden Christianson kinda ruined it. Altho there is a rumour that HC and Shia Labouf of Transformers might be in Brokeback mountain 2 as the Cowboy bum buddys.  ;D

Metal

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
Preferred the jedi knight games to the movies. I thought the 3rd movie was pretty epic (well at least the jedi fight scenes) and the end of the clone wars was pretty good where all the jedi's are fighting the clones. I'm not big into the story lines of the movies so I'm really just basing it off the action. I thought all 3 of the new movies were far more entertaining than the Lotr trilogy.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
Come to think of it. The Phantom Menace was the best one out of the lot. ;D 8)

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »
Liam Neeson was the crowning acheivement of the Phantom Penace.

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:54 AM »
Empire for the win even though Episode 1 was a good addition to the saga can't say much about the other 2 though

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 03:58:16 AM »
Empire for the win even though Episode 1 was a good addition to the saga can't say much about the other 2 though

Really? You think Phantom menace was better than revenge and attack?

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 04:01:05 AM »
Im far from a Star Wars fan, but the original trilogy was pretty cool for what it was. Not my style, but I still appreciate it and totally understand why you guys love it so much. Then I watched The Phantom Menace when it first came out... it was so bad I havent seen the 2 that followed. It really put me off.
Mongeese like results

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 04:08:33 AM »

Really? You think Phantom menace was better than revenge and attack?

yeah for sure, revenge was alright but attack was so dissapointing i even bought charity ball tickets to see it before the midnight premiere (and the die-hard Star Wars fans kitted out in full attire) and it wasn't what i hoped it would be.

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:13 AM »
Im far from a Star Wars fan, but the original trilogy was pretty cool for what it was. Not my style, but I still appreciate it and totally understand why you guys love it so much. Then I watched The Phantom Menace when it first came out... it was so bad I havent seen the 2 that followed. It really put me off.

im a fan of the films I am however not a fan of George Lucas that guy is too single minded and has the potential to ruin movies. E.g It was his idea to do aliens in the recent Indiana Jones FAIL! and he wanted the movie to be called Indiana Jones and The Saucer Men FAIL! FAIL! FAIL! and he produced that stupid animated TV show yet another FAIL!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »
The Clone Wars?  Hey, I reckon that isn't so bad.

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
yeah but it's mutherfucken STAR WARS!!! it should have been fucken awesome, if you have to make the excuse that "it's not that bad" it must be shit
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline Grace_Metalious

• WF Colonel
  • He's an alligator ...
    • View Profile
    • The Hellacopters Homepage
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
I never saw Star Wars as a youngin' so I waited til I was about 20-ish and watched in order of storyline.
Watching Phantom Menace first did me a number of favours, I wasn't disappointed.

I actually think Hayden Christiansen was great as Anakin, sulky, petulant teen that he was.
I mean clearly if Anakin wasn't a sook, Palpatine would have had nothing to work with.

I do agree that it was fucking shit to mess with the originals, ROTJ in particular.
The whole point is that Anakin finds redemption at that age, so why show him when he was younger?
Fools.

If anybody saw Ross Noble's tour earlier this year, how great was the "Robert Fett" bit?  :laugh:
Warriors ... Come out to play!

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 12:45:42 AM »
I never saw Star Wars as a youngin' so I waited til I was about 20-ish and watched in order of storyline.
Watching Phantom Menace first did me a number of favours, I wasn't disappointed.

I actually think Hayden Christiansen was great as Anakin, sulky, petulant teen that he was.
I mean clearly if Anakin wasn't a sook, Palpatine would have had nothing to work with.

I do agree that it was fucking shit to mess with the originals, ROTJ in particular.
The whole point is that Anakin finds redemption at that age, so why show him when he was younger?
Fools.

If anybody saw Ross Noble's tour earlier this year, how great was the "Robert Fett" bit?  :laugh:

Yeah man I'm similar to you. My first taste of star wars was at 14 when the phantom menace came out. I thought it was pretty good, but then I went and watched the first three and from then on I was hooked.
They DEFINITELY shouldn't have screwed around with Annakin in ROTJ....