Author Topic: New metal venue / event ideas  (Read 9855 times)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
New metal venue / event ideas
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »
Just a quick straw poll about a few ideas for gigs and events for a new venue in Northbridge that is interested in opening it's doors to metal.

It wasn't really designed with having live acts play in mind, but it could easily have a stage and the necessary equipment brought in, and it is pretty cool looking. It is at the site of the old IMAX cinema, with the theatre part still operating so one of the ideas could be to have screenings of metal docos / movies followed by drinks and music at the bar downstairs.

The other interesting option that was discussed was the concept of having BYO booze events. People could bring a bottle of their choosing along and have a ticket / check system, to access it when you need a top up. The venue obviously wouldn't make any money over the bar, as would be the norm, so a slightly higher door price would have to cover that. So instead of paying $10 (or $14-15 to get into a Voyager show), the door charge could be something like $20, but then you have no cost for drinks for the rest of the night!

There are pros and cons of such an concept, but just throwing some ideas around at the moment and would have to work on the finer details. Depending on how well things go, it can build to a bigger and better thing - with the venue owners keen to support metal, and in turn we should show them respect and support them. Definitely some interesting possibilities that could come about.

So anyway we're thinking of perhaps having a launch / introduction to the venue in maybe a month or so, maybe just with some metal DJs cranking some awesome tunes, with the prospect of then getting some bands in with a proper set up. So just seeing what people have to say, and gauging interest in such a thing.

Personally I think it could be extremely kick ass, having a metal club - and the BYO idea is wild. So let us know what you think!

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
Re: New metal venue / event ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:11:34 AM »
BYO idea is tops, I don't really like spending 100 bucks every time i go to a gig.

Where is the old IMAX place located exactly?
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:29:27 AM »
You may run into some trouble with the BYO thing in regards to licencing- they've become really strict, each differect kind of alcohol service (BYO, non-byo, restaurant, bar etc) has to have the specific liquor licence to serve alcohol. Without it, a place can land in biiiiiig trouble.
I ate one anchovy. And that is why i did not eat two anchovies.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »
Yeah, I wondered about that as well. They already have the BYO license, but they are waiting for the other liquor license to come through.. hence why it came up.

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 07:07:24 AM »
The Republic (Shafto Lane) has a setup appropriate enough for gigs but it is more of an Indi Club though..

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »
man byo would be fuckin awesome, i would happily pay $30 entry for a local gig if i could bring an esky  :drool:

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:28 AM »
I think this is a fantastic idea. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help Daz.
One of the things I love about living in London is the amount of bars dedicated to rock and metal. There are so many here, most open every night of the week, and I really think Perth needs more bars like it!
One of the main reasons I hate going to regular pubs is the crap music, the other reason would be the price of alcohol. This idea kills two birds- I'm in!!  :headbang: :headbang:
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
Fuckin' excellent idea, I don't particularly like spending too much money on alcohol at a gig. If I'm not wrong I think there's a bottleshop actually down the road from the old imax theatre, so it ain't that far to grab your own booze if that was ever going to be a problem.

Like Oiseau said though, there's going to be a problem with licensing as such. And how would the venue make money, it'd have to make a killing with tickets for it to happen.

Hmm how about always selling merch and CDs and other metal memoribilia? Some of the profit from that could go into funding the venue?

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »
i think io know where that is. its the strange shaped building round the corner from metro? i think it did those 3D or panoramic movies or something. sounds like quite a project. think it mite take more than about a month though.

-Wednesday.

Offline benben

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Ben Derham :: Web and Graphic Design
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »
sounds pretty sweet,

no more empty wallet after a gig :D

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
FUCK YEAH - this sounds AWESOME!!! ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 05:45:08 PM »
Ok....this is where I probably get killed but:
I think the idea of BYO is bad.  Too many random dickheads would get extremely drunk and turn it into a fight club, and the whole thing would be shut down pretty quick.    :hmm:
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline metalhawk

• WF Colonel
  • ...never too old to headbang!!!
    • View Profile
    • enforce homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
count me in!!! thats awesome!!

manny has a good point!!! but i have heard this work!! u do a normal charge at the door but add $5!! patrons r limited to a 6 pack of beer or a four pack of spirits when they come in( it has 2 be cans...no glass!!!)... u r givin a number which is allocated to ur stash in there fridge :), when u finish ur stash u give back ur numbered wrist band.. everything after that u have to buy from the pub or venue!!

the only problem is storage space!!! u have that under control... ull be fine.

Bands are allocated a little more offcourse... makes them special!!

\M/

Offline faeces

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »

manny has a good point!!! but i have heard this work!! u do a normal charge at the door but add $5!! patrons r limited to a 6 pack of beer or a four pack of spirits when they come in( it has 2 be cans...no glass!!!)... u r givin a number which is allocated to ur stash in there fridge :), when u finish ur stash u give back ur numbered wrist band.. everything after that u have to buy from the pub or venue!!

\M/

6 cans you're either winding me up or you drink like a little girl
I'd kill you, but that might get blood on my shirt.

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
  • Drifting on the echoes of the hours
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
sounds cool. ill support this if you can get it going for sure  :clap:

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »

\M/

6 cans you're either winding me up or you drink like a little girl

Yeah 6 drinks is fuckall when your enjoying some fine entertainment
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 10:00:38 PM »
^ and yet its too much for some others.
Plus then you have the issue of people claiming to be other people, getting drinks mixed up or plain stealing them, some people drinking outside the venue, knowing they cant bring the majority of it inside, plus you'd need storage space for everyones drinks inside the venue.

Sounds like a novel concept, but as someone else said, there will ALWAYS be a few tossers who will fuck it up for everyone else.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
Cant people be responsible for their own drinks?

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
^ and yet its too much for some others.
Plus then you have the issue of people claiming to be other people, getting drinks mixed up or plain stealing them, some people drinking outside the venue, knowing they cant bring the majority of it inside, plus you'd need storage space for everyones drinks inside the venue.

Sounds like a novel concept, but as someone else said, there will ALWAYS be a few tossers who will fuck it up for everyone else.

But by the same token, at any other venue there will always be a few tossers to fuck it up *cough*Noel*cough*. Venues have to deal with dickheads regardless of licensing and management practices.

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 10:11:12 PM »
Yeah, I wondered about that as well. They already have the BYO license, but they are waiting for the other liquor license to come through.. hence why it came up.

If they've already got a BYO licence, I think that it would be under some sort of restaurant licence, meaning that everyone drinking would have to be ordering a meal or the equivalent amount of food. I wouldn't think that a BYO licence would be a part of a pub or bar as the aim of the whole licencing set up is to limit the amount of 'drunken antisocial behaviours,' coming from venues. Staff are trained to know how to serve alcohol and when to cut people off (RSA) so that the venue doesn't get penalised for serving people after they're already visibly drunk. If the staff aren't actually in control of the service of alcohol, such as in a BYO bar situation, the venue is open to all kinds of drama associated with alcohol related problems. I'd also think that if they had BYO they'd want to serve food, or have a pretty heavy door charge otherwise they'd make no money. I'd be interested to know what the conditions of their current licence are if they allow BYO.    

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »
Why dont you NEGATIVE NANCIES just shut the fuck up and wait and see what they come up with? ;D

Im sure the venue will have their best interests at heart (i.e. to make as much money as possible with as little trouble as possible) and not let it turn into a "fight club" or something that will get shut down as soon as it starts. GET REAL.

WHATEVER THE CASE, BYO or not, it sounds like a promising new venue for metal gigs!

SHEEEEEEESH!  ::)

Edit:

I'd be interested to know what the conditions of their current licence are if they allow BYO.   

Why the FUCK would YOU be interested in those particulars? Good god.....

Just sounds to me like you're obsessed with food. Thats not a bad thing considering you're FAR TOO SKINNY and could do with a good fattening up!! ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:37:41 PM by SOD »
HAHAHAHA

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
hey we are just giving valid opinions, thats what Darren wanted didnt he??

in theory a great idea, but at a public club type venue would run into some pretty significant hiccups...but correct me if any of this is wrong...

without any bar staff and having a BYO licence to have people stand around and drink their own alchohol, you would need to employee some pretty heavy security/bouncers. Which is a pretty huge percentage of the cost of running a club. There is no way they would grant you the licence without you supplying, and paying for proper security control.

Then there is the whole question of how do you control drinks coming in that aren't spiked or dodgy? do they have to be sealed to bring them in? if so who is doing the checking on that?

And even if you are charging $20 entry, that really isn't going to generate enough revenue each weekend to keep the place up and running if there is no money going through a bar. If you estimate about 150 people entering @ $20 p/p on any given weekend night, thats 3 grand - and you would have to use that to pay security, door staff, bills, bands, and whatever else....it wouldn't go very far.

If the security can be afforded and it is profitable to do the BYO thing, then i don't see why it wouldn't work, but it certainly would be a tough ask to get the licence for it.

But i agree with others, id rather pay $20 to get into a place (than $10) if i could also bring a cheap bottle of bourbon with me. if the BYO thing don't work then im still all for a metal nightclub! its what we need!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:49:25 PM by -=[Cataclysm]=- »

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:44 PM »
Why dont you NEGATIVE NANCIES just shut the fuck up and wait and see what they come up with? ;D

Im sure the venue will have their best interests at heart (i.e. to make as much money as possible with as little trouble as possible) and not let it turn into a "fight club" or something that will get shut down as soon as it starts. GET REAL.

WHATEVER THE CASE, BYO or not, it sounds like a promising new venue for metal gigs!

SHEEEEEEESH!  ::)

Edit:

I'd be interested to know what the conditions of their current licence are if they allow BYO.   

Why the FUCK would YOU be interested in those particulars? Good god.....

Just sounds to me like you're obsessed with food. Thats not a bad thing considering you're FAR TOO SKINNY and could do with a good fattening up!! ;D

Fuck you, I'm adorable!

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »
hey we are just giving valid opinions, thats what Darren wanted didnt he??

Im pretty sure that DAZZY WAZZY doesnt want to be cut down at the knees by a wall of people posting "valid opinions" basically saying "IT WONT WORK.... SO DONT BOTHER.... LETS JUST STAY AT HOME AND LISTEN TO HEAVY METAL IN OUR BEDROOM WHILE DAD THUMPS ON THE WALL TELLING US TO TURN IT DOWN, ITS TOO FUCKING LOUD!". :P

<CUE DEE SNIDER JUMPING OUT SAYING "I WANNA ROCK!!!!!">

in theory a great idea, but at a public club type venue would run into some pretty significant hiccups...but correct me if any of this is wrong...

None of what you're saying is wrong chum. You're absolutely right. Happy now?

Now thats sorted, we have two options - we either say "fuck yeah!!!! cant wait!!!", cross our fingers and give Daz our 100% support OR  we cry and whinge and say "it aint gonna happen and heres 101 reasons why not!" and all just come around YOUR house and blow out the windows with TWISTED SISTER ;D

YOUR CHOICE ;)
HAHAHAHA