Author Topic: Global Metal  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Global Metal
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
A review of sorts, I guess.

Picked this up on dvd the other day and before watching was wondering why it didnt get the 'acclaim' that "Metal:A Headbangers Journey" seemed to get. A documentary on metal bands/culture from all over the world should be great. Well...its kinda not that great.

Its billed on the front as the 'Follow up to Metal:...." and throughout the doco it seems like Sam Dunn had a bunch of footage leftover from the first movie and tried to pad it out with a few more interviews. Its almost like hes doing pieces for 'getaway' or some travel show. Show footage of plane taking off, cut to street shot, show historical landmark, cut to random fans then interview/live clips.

Some if its great and fascinating for sure, but a fair amount of it seems a bit wasted. He travels to Brazil and interviews Max Cavalera, Sigh from Japan get the briefest of interviews and places like Finland dont even get a mention (where a lot of metal is almost top 10 in the music charts).

Anyone else have thoughts on this, i dunno, I appreciate what he tried to do and dont wanna be too negative but its only 'ok'. Thoughts?
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
Re: Global Metal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »
I dunno, I enjoyed it a fair bit. Not as good as the first but sequels rarely are.

I thought it was cool that he went to Indonesia and the Middle East and stuff, I think the reason he didnt go to Finland or anything like that is probably because there is so much well known metal from that area and he was trying to shed some light on the countries that go unnoticed.

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
Fair enough. Theres a bonus bit on the dvd where he goes to Bali which was cut from the film, pretty cool
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
Fair enough. Theres a bonus bit on the dvd where he goes to Bali which was cut from the film, pretty cool

Ooh haven't seen that will have to check it out...

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
didn't enjoy it as much as the first one, but was still entertained and informed. Tried listening to tang dynasty, but I couldn't get around the chinese vocals, was just too strange....
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:33:23 AM »
Yeah it's okay i thought, not great. There were a lot of big cultures missing. But then his general thing is more about origins of metal and in this case - for the countries he visited. Not so much scenes in other countries, so in that respect he did what he set out to do.

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
I think people forget this is more about how metal originated in "Eastern" countries, where things from Western culture are/were generally prohibitted or frowned upon, and how it has since developed.

I found the section on Indonesia and Japan to be interesting...more so during the latter, when they show the Japanese glam (can't remember the name of the genre, Visual something...?) and metal bands, and how they're somewhat similar yet co-exist under different "scenes".
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 03:46:52 AM »
I think people forget this is more about how metal originated in "Eastern" countries, where things from Western culture are/were generally prohibitted or frowned upon, and how it has since developed.

I found the section on Indonesia and Japan to be interesting...more so during the latter, when they show the Japanese glam (can't remember the name of the genre, Visual something...?) and metal bands, and how they're somewhat similar yet co-exist under different "scenes".

That'd be 'Visual Kei' and yeah some of those guys make Poison look pretty civil  :P

I wish Sigh got a bit of a better look in though, theres an extended interview with Mirai on the dvd which is pretty funny.
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm