Author Topic: Katatonia - Night is the New Day - NEW TRACK  (Read 6132 times)

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
  • ...welcome to the torture chamber...
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
Re: Katatonia - Night is the New Day - NEW TRACK
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
Awesome, can't wait. Sounds like the heaviest thing they have done, but I hope they also do more songs like 'Unfurl'.
'

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
Awesome, can't wait. Sounds like the heaviest thing they have done, but I hope they also do more songs like 'Unfurl'.
'
Heaviest? You reckon? I love Katatonia but they continually disappoint me with everything they've put out since Viva Emptiness. This new song has great vocals but the guitars are just boring.  :(
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
  • Drifting on the echoes of the hours
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
i really enjoyed it, i agree its a lot heavier sounding but still quite emotional. Has alot of that magical Katatonia sound which is undeniable. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album!!

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:56 AM »
'
Heaviest? You reckon? I love Katatonia but they continually disappoint me with everything they've put out since Viva Emptiness. This new song has great vocals but the guitars are just boring.  :(

Definitely, at least in terms of production. Their death metal period is certainly bleak, but not heavy when compared to some songs from their last album. The only disappointment from them I think is Discouraged Ones.

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:33:31 AM »
i don't know how anyone can say the new Katatonia is disappointing...their early music was bland and lifeless - the new stuff is so much more dynamic and the song writing has matured so much. Not to mention the production is phenomenal.

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »
taken from a  blog posted by Opeth frontman Mikael Akerfeldt...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 
 Katatonia - Night is the new day...

...is possible the greatest "heavy" record I've heard in the last 10 years. Most people know my history with them and also my friendship with the guys. Jonas and I have been best buddies for the last 18 years or so.

Everytime Opeth or Katatonia has a new record we arrange a small private listening party. Usually with myself, Anders and Jonas. For years we've managed to record albums around the same time and had both the new Opeth album and the new Katatonia album played back on the same session. It's always great fun, however disciplined.

You can't talk during playback (death penalty), you listen to the album all the way through twice, and then we have the "comments". Everything is washed down with beer or wine...there might be snacks on the table.

Well, 2 days after the new Katatonia album is mastered here we are, holed up in a friends apartment ready to go through the new masterpiece by Katatonia. And it truly is a masterpiece! I have not been this taken back by an album for a long time. I almost had tears in my eyes. It's an absolutely stunning piece of music! Easily their most progressive and emotional record as far as I'm concerned.

The finale is almost too much to bear. Here we have some guest vocals by Enter the hunt kingpin, Krister Linder (Chris Lancelot to some) and it's quite fucking moving to say the least.

I've always been a fan of Katatonia. Ever since I heard their first demo back in 1991 or 1992, and I thought they sounded like Opeth, haha! This record however is their crown jewel so far.

It's an album that is "more" than the music that's on there.

How often do I plug something that's not from 1971? It gives you an indication where I stand on the matter maybe?

Cheers
Mike

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »
i don't know how anyone can say the new Katatonia is disappointing...their early music was bland and lifeless - the new stuff is so much more dynamic and the song writing has matured so much. Not to mention the production is phenomenal.

"dance of december souls".... bland and lifeless indeed. Cant stomach anything AFTER for funerals to come E.P myself......  :err:

Seen this band a few times on tour..... so boring, watered down and plodding nowadays that a bunch of pissed aussie / pommy / german nitwits cheering at every single person who dared to walk past drew more of a crowd than this band at one summer breeze fest a few years back :P
HAHAHAHA

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
i agree after seeing some dvds and live clips of them that they don't really do a very good job of pulling off their music live. I guess because they cram so many layers onto their cds it doesn't really have the same impact when they try and play it live.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 03:09:54 PM »
i agree after seeing some dvds and live clips of them that they don't really do a very good job of pulling off their music live. I guess because they cram so many layers onto their cds it doesn't really have the same impact when they try and play it live.

that to me is the main problem behind over production. Music should be able to be translated live with little to no effect to the song's feel and sound. Sepultura and even Pantera, with only 1 guitar are the masters of this. I reckon Pantera live actually sounds better than their records. Thats what makes a truly great band in my opinion.
Mongeese like results

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
'

Definitely, at least in terms of production. Their death metal period is certainly bleak, but not heavy when compared to some songs from their last album. The only disappointment from them I think is Discouraged Ones.
My judgements aren't based on thier DM period (which was pretty generic). I guess we just have different tastes... I would rather listen to Discouraged Ones over The Great Cold Distance any day of the week! I listen to Tonight's Decision on an almost daily basis... possibly my favourite, but hard to choose! In terms of actual heaviness in production, the sound of Last Fair Deal Gone Down is absolutely crushing and awesome!

I can imagine the "hugeness" of the new song will be hard to replicate live. It seems to rely on production to create this massive wall of sound.

I really like Katatonia a lot, and have bought all their CDs/boxsets over the years, but I am disappointed by the new track, and won't be buying the new CD until I hear way more that redeems it from Swedish Grammy-award wanting, piano-driven goth-rock dross.
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »

that to me is the main problem behind over production. Music should be able to be translated live with little to no effect to the song's feel and sound. Sepultura and even Pantera, with only 1 guitar are the masters of this. I reckon Pantera live actually sounds better than their records. Thats what makes a truly great band in my opinion.

i understand your point but i'm of the opinion that band like Pantera and Sepultura although have good songs they don't have any depth in thier records. Bands like Katatonia and Porcupine Tree that put alot more into there music have depth because you can listen to the same song several times and still be surprised by what sounds you can find within the mix that you didnt hear the first few listens. Whether a band can pull it off live is another thing, porcupine tree hasnt had a problem with this for years.

Thus making the music a mucch more interesting listen IMO. But each to their own, i really enjoy Last Fair Deal Gone Down, its one of my favourite Katatonia albums but in saying that Katatoina is one of the bands that is constantly progressing from album to album. At first i didnt really like Great Cold Distance but it quickly grew on me this new song to me sound just like a natural progression from the last album. I like it!

I think the reason they havre trouble live is due to the fact their drummer can't play in time live.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:44:39 PM by Beast »

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
I think the reason they havre trouble live is due to the fact their drummer can play in time live.

'can' or 'can't'?  :err:

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:05 AM »
... band like Pantera and Sepultura although have good songs they don't have any depth in thier records. Bands like Katatonia and Porcupine Tree that put alot more into there music have depth because you can listen to the same song several times and still be surprised by what sounds you can find within the mix that you didnt hear the first few listens. Whether a band can pull it off live is another thing...

Production.. layering.. blah blah blah.. all well and good if you're talking about pop music that needs it to make up for rubbish music.
Metal is about aggression and banging ya fucking head, and also the resulting cathartic effects.. not soppy crap.
This stuff is exactly what is wrong with "metal" these days. And moreso the people that listen to it and then try to write metal and create more watered down crap.

People need to listen to stuff like Pantera, (early) Sepultura and other earlier metal and get back to what it is actually about. Funnily, I had been contemplating writing something up about all of this, over the last few weeks, but just thought I'd vent a little here.  ;D

All well and good if people want to listen to other styles or mellow stuff from time to time, just keep it the fuck out of METAL.

I rest my case.   8)

Offline -=[Cataclysm]=-

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine website
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:25 AM »

All well and good if people want to listen to other styles or mellow stuff from time to time, just keep it the fuck out of METAL.

I rest my case.   8)

and just exactly who decides what constitutes a song that is 'metal' ....you?

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:45:25 AM »

:no: So no jazz-fusion interludes then?

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »

I rest my case.   8)

and just exactly who decides what constitutes a song that is 'metal' ....you?
That's like saying who decides what constitutes the 'colour' black.
(To anyone that is tempted - save the petty comments about black not being a colour).
People either know or they are blind.

People can paint on a canvas with grey, or pink.. but if they mix stuff all together and make poo brown then they have to be prepared to accept that.
 :)

Offline MadAaron

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »
I fucking agree. Metal has become safe and even bordering on gay because of bands like this and Porc Tree. Christ, just take a look at bands like Voyager and Dream Theater.

Men play raw metal not flowers and fairy layered tissue music for homos.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »
I fucking agree. Metal has become safe and even bordering on gay because of bands like this and Porc Tree. Christ, just take a look at bands like Voyager and Dream Theater.

I agree also, but you have to realise that it all boils down to personal preference and taste more than anything else.

"Metal" is such a broad "umbrella" genre with so many different and great variants that you can choose to focus on listening to the sub genres you love or have a broader ear (e.g. i listen to anything from THRAAAASSSHHHHH to old doom / black and even... yes even.... glam). There are great, generic and shit bands and albums in all aspects of METAL music - you just have to love what you love and ignore the rest.

Having said that of course, theres nothing wrong with ripping on dudes like our mate Cataclysm for being a faggoty andy and loving new katatonia when old katatonia is heaps better (its all tounge in cheek and we all love METAL at the end of the day) ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
Oh god. This debate again.

Just call bands like Katatonia 'heavy'.

Let the purists pick themselves to bits as to what and what doesn't fall under the genre of metal, and just enjoy the music you like.

EOD

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »

HAHAHA  :rofl:

btw this debate is beyond retarded.
listen to whatever music you want, dont get caught up labels
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:43:54 PM by Beast »

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »
... band like Pantera and Sepultura although have good songs they don't have any depth in thier records. Bands like Katatonia and Porcupine Tree that put alot more into there music have depth because you can listen to the same song several times and still be surprised by what sounds you can find within the mix that you didnt hear the first few listens. Whether a band can pull it off live is another thing...

Production.. layering.. blah blah blah.. all well and good if you're talking about pop music that needs it to make up for rubbish music.
Metal is about aggression and banging ya fucking head, and also the resulting cathartic effects.. not soppy crap.
This stuff is exactly what is wrong with "metal" these days. And moreso the people that listen to it and then try to write metal and create more watered down crap.

People need to listen to stuff like Pantera, (early) Sepultura and other earlier metal and get back to what it is actually about. Funnily, I had been contemplating writing something up about all of this, over the last few weeks, but just thought I'd vent a little here.  ;D

I rest my case.   8)

How can you when you don't have a case to begin with? ;)  ;D

C'mon Daz, I thought that mentality was way old? Metal has been around a LONG time now and with that, so has it's evolution. There's millions of sub genre's now and at both ends of spectrum, it's growing further and further away from what we knew metal was. There's gonna be wussier bands getting tagged as metal as much as there will probably be more brutal bands getting tagged which are prolly gonna be too heavy to be under that moniker. To me the term METAL has just been an umbrella that houses a lot of aggressive stuff.

Why can't metal have clean vocals? Why can't metal have keyboards? I think the debate a lot of people have is that they think METAL is a non organic attitiude, a clan to belong to, a way of thinking, a lifestyle and i can see how that works for some. But for us as musicians, METAL is music. It's very organic because it's a voice and as we change so does the stuff we create. The awareness changes, acceptance changes, people creating metal music wanna try new things and that changes...and I think that's great because its helped the world accept it more as an intellectual art form more than the negative "aggression bang your head" stereotype it cops.

Do I make any sense or have I completely over shot the point with my own self righteous warbling?  ;D

Musician

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »
You make sense and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

As I mentioned I was partly venting because I had just been through a period of listening through a lot of stuff doing the judging for the Australian Metal Awards and the WAM Song of the Year (you do realise the public voting had nothing to do with determining the category winners, right?) and there was plenty of stuff in both that was just plain shit and stuff that has diverted way off the track into gaysville. Thankfully there was also plenty of quality stuff as well.

You hit the nail on the head about it growing further and further away, but that is a shit thing. I don't have a problem with people listening to other stuff, or experimenting.. just remember, they're adding metal elements to something weaker, and creating something not as good, and it isn't metal anymore. It isn't adding other elements to metal and watering it down. You can't dilute metal - whatever the other creation is, the intention determined that it wasn't metal from the start.
The reason metal has stayed around for so long is because it is ageless and people that are into metal know that is it more than the music, it is the attitude as well.

Noone said metal can't have clean vocals or keyboards. It isn't what is used to create the music, it is HOW it is done.
As long as it is done with the right attitude, and doesn't piss over tradition and conventions of what made metal great in the first place then it's all good.
Evolution in metal is good, but there are points when it gets too far away from the right bloodline, and that is when natural selection needs to kick in and kill those off, before they get to breed.

This isn't a debate. It's just a friendly situation with me telling it how it is, and an odd few not listening and making excuses.  ;D

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 02:56:33 PM »
I say metal can't have clean vocals or keyboards.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.