Author Topic: Working night shift - fatigue  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Working night shift - fatigue
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »
As some of you know, I work away (like a few others on this site) and part of that work involves nightshift. 12 and a half hour shifts.

Ive been doing this for about 5 years and 'afternoon' shifts at my previous job for about 3 years. Ultimately Im coming to the realisation that its becoming harder and harder to stay awake. Sleeping during the day in the heat is just difficult, Ive had a few close calls and it scared the shit out of me.

Now while the site is trying to encourage people to stop if they are fatigued, and if it gets to the point I will stop, but the industry being what it is people cant resist a 'toughen up princess' if you do that. But im not working away to be a hero, i wanna make some $$ and stay alive.

Just wondering if any of you guys and girls have any methods for combating fatigue. Id like to try and avoid just chugging coffee or Red Bull (there are guys at site that seriously cant go a shift without 3 cans minimum  ???). I always try and get about 7-8 hours, exercise when I can and try and eat decently. Ive heard some 'homegrown' remedies, but they vary in effectiveness (eat lots of green apples etc).
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Working night shift - fatigue
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »
the whole "drug test" thing kinda fucks up any suggestions I could offer. Sounds like a cunt of a lifestyle, man. I know the $$ are good though, and presumably worth it.
Mongeese like results

Offline ecentrix

• WF Major
  • Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »
Think about your health in the future though.

It can fuck people up to get back into your normal pattern.
What we do in our lives echoes in eternity

Offline ecentrix

• WF Major
  • Drummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »
I don't agree with that. there is times at my work where i will finish at 10 at night and be expected to start at like 5. So including travel time i get fuck all sleep and i am not even compensated for it.

My shifts are also random, although they are mostly in the day.
What we do in our lives echoes in eternity

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »

I work rolling roster shift work. What I'm doing this week isn't what I'll be doing next week

Makes it impossible to form any sort of sleeping pattern

By the end of the Cannibal Corpse gig I'd been awake for about 40 hours. Same will apply for Slayer/Megadeth next week

But the job is great so I'll hang in there for now...

I occasionally do that, fly home straight from a nightshft and stay up for 30 + hours, things to do, bills to pay etc.

But yeah, *hopefully* i can get my shit together and not have to do this for 20+ years like some of the old boys up here
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
I LOVE nightshift when on site.

You get to sleep all day, eat dinner for "breakfast", take dinner for "lunch" and eat breakfast for "dinner". Also the gym and the wettie are always 90% empty during the morning and the camp is generally quieter during the day than at night (as long as you remember your "nightshift - do not disturb" sign so the cleaner doesnt end up poking her nose in while you're sporting "morning wood" at 2pm).

Workwise - no management, no meetings and generally no dickheads (safety or otherwise) on ya back (unless something is playing up). As long as everything stays running smoothly you can either do FUCK ALL at night, surf the net as much as you like and/or get MORE work done during the night than you ever could during the day as its far easier to concerntrate. The temperature is milder also with NO sun and NO flies.

I have no problem sleeping during the day or night. If im on nightshift i will generally use EVERYTHING available (bulk towels help.... see ya cleaner) to block out the sunlight. When your room is pitch black then there is no problem at all. When on change-over to night or day, i stay up as late as possible and then go to bed - making sure my phone is set to silent. NO disturbances. If theres work going on around ya donga during the day, wear earplugs while in bed.

Taking food to your room at your last meal also helps as generally you wake up when its breakfast/lunchtime and if ya starving you wont be able to sleep.

Following these rules there shouldnt be a problem ... and if ya ever feel tired you can always duck down to a substation to "check something out" for a while and find a nice spot to power kip for half an hour. Just have ya radio / phone on and have ya ear out for someone opening the sub door while you are in there.

Hope that helps!!!! ;D

HAHAHAHA

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
^
Oh for sure there are plenty of benefits to nights including the cooler weather.

Unfortunately working with 200+ tonne trucks. graders etc means i cant duck behind a substation  :P They can find you on the GPS.

The rooms are ok, I only have dramas when the aircon fails, those dongas heat up QUICKLY  :o

Im just a bonehead operator SOD  :laugh:
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:29 AM »
Unfortunately working with 200+ tonne trucks. graders etc means i cant duck behind a substation  :P They can find you on the GPS.

The rooms are ok, I only have dramas when the aircon fails, those dongas heat up QUICKLY  :o

Im just a bonehead operator SOD  :laugh:

What the FUCK?? I'd be up and asking for the aircon either to be fixed or to be shifted into a new room within microseconds of the aircon packing up. If ya tv goes on the fritz.... eh.... but aircon in ya donga is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

Donga with aircon = comfortable sea container type arrangement.
Donga without aircon = oven.

At least thats the way it is at all the sites ive been. Maybe yours is particularly bad :P
;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »
Nah, its not too bad here.

Ive been to a site in the past that was a bit dodgy though. Toilet/Shower block = Hell
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:08 AM »
Masturbate, but don't let yourself come.

I'm 100 percent serious, you'll be up for days.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:57 AM »
Coffee is your friend. Or maybe you could wear really really uncomfortable pants that constantly need adjusting?
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
Either way at least you wont need to worry about contraception. :P

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 07:00:21 AM »
aint much you can do to make it easier, but you can do shit so it doesnt get harder.

The whole Red Bull and energy drink shit will make it harder for sure, what goes up must come down, and you pay the dues for being up which means it gonna run your ass into the ground if you let it go long enough.

Good food and plenty of water is about all you can do, but its key.
i do nights sometimes too and used to do em for about 2 years, and i know where youre coming from.
Its all good for a while, like 8 months or so, and then it starts taking its toll.

the ol bod's not meant to be asleep during the day is what it comes down to.
Melatonin makes it hard for you to sleep during the day, and then when you finally start getting used to it, your on the road to ruin.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »
I was gonna say that, drink a shitload of water. Sure you pee like a madman, but sipping cool water a lot keeps you alert i reckon. And hydrated. And chewing gum i reckon is good too...cause your face is moving constantly! :rofl:

Offline Grimmy

• WF Major
  • These mountains which I heart
    • View Profile
    • RTRFM 92.1 Critical Mass
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
Holy shit S3nt0n, I'm on nightshift RIGHT NOW!!?! It's 3:30am and its getting harder to stay awake. Sitting in a control room with a few plant operators, trying to look busy...

Since when did you start eating 'decently'? :P I find eating smaller, regular meals throughout the night keeps you awake as your body is keeping busy digesting them. Stay away from pies\sausage rolls etc, as they will give you a big energy boost for a short time, but then you'll come crashing down. Stick to low GI foods (multigrain bread, cereals, muesli bars) and fruit. Plenty of water helps too, have your 2L if you can. If anything, you'll stay awake as you'll be busting for a piss every 5 minutes!

Like wise old SOD sez, nightshift has its perks (no managers, less hassle, camps are quieter), but over here its about 3 degrees at night! Another downside is you don't get to see many people, all your workmates are asleep when you're awake, and vice-versa.

I guess you'll know when enough is enough, and if all else fails you can always get a job at WacArnolds 8)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
Since when did you start eating 'decently'? :P

Must be your influence of caviar and fancy pants restaurants  :P :laugh:
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Grimmy

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
Since when did you start eating 'decently'? :P

Must be your influence of caviar and fancy pants restaurants  :P :laugh:
No thanks, I don't eat anything that comes from fish fffagina
You SURE its not someone else's influence?? :eyebrows:

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:17 AM »
No thanks, I don't eat anything that comes from fish fffagina
You SURE its not someone else's influence?? :eyebrows:

I would have thought after 6 months of non-stop camp gruel you'd be hanging out to eat not only the fishes eggs but its flange, lips and asshole by now scotty mate! ;D

BUONO NOTTE!!! ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »
my dad does similar shift work, 12 hour days or more, and hes got at least 20 years on everyone one of you and he never complains :p

he is with united and they are really strict about driving tired, he says that if he goes on a fault thats 5 hours away and it takes time and hes been awake for more than 17 hours, he has to call for someone to come pick him up. bloody rediculous, such a waste of money

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 03:19:55 AM »
From my experience, tiredness is greatly connected to eyesight.  I wear contact lenses, and when they are getting old and scratched I find that I feel the need to sleep a lot more, but when they are fresh and new I have a lessened inclinaion towards fatigue.

Maybe it is worthwhile getting a vision test?

Offline Grimmy

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:52 AM »
I would have thought after 6 months of non-stop camp gruel you'd be hanging out to eat not only the fishes eggs but its flange, lips and asshole by now scotty mate! ;D

BUONO NOTTE!!! ;D
The food over here is pretty bad, but I still have limits as to what I put in my mouth :P

20 years Jono, shit that's a long time. I think I'd like it more if I got to sleep in my own bed every day. On some mine sites, if you are on site for 14 hours, you're not allowed to drive home. But when push comes to shove and they need you to stay back for whatever reason, they really don't give a shit about safety

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 03:50:41 AM »
my dad does similar shift work, 12 hour days or more, and hes got at least 20 years on everyone one of you and he never complains :p

he is with united and they are really strict about driving tired, he says that if he goes on a fault thats 5 hours away and it takes time and hes been awake for more than 17 hours, he has to call for someone to come pick him up. bloody rediculous, such a waste of money
I'm sure you'd rather your Dad got picked up than have an accident  :hmm:

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
From my experience, tiredness is greatly connected to eyesight.  I wear contact lenses, and when they are getting old and scratched I find that I feel the need to sleep a lot more, but when they are fresh and new I have a lessened inclinaion towards fatigue.

Maybe it is worthwhile getting a vision test?

I actually wear glasses 8)

Maybe its time to ditch the fashionable lenses and go for a big old pair of cokebottles
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »
If you can get your hands on a joy buzzer just stick that close to where you work and zap yourself when you start to drooooop
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
Masturbate, but don't let yourself come.

I'm 100 percent serious, you'll be up for days.

:rofl:  based on enough observations
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"