Author Topic: PATHOGEN 'Remnants' EP Launch - Sat 14 Nov AllAges / Fri 20 Nov 18+  (Read 14438 times)

Offline MetalMoe

• WF Major
  • BAIT IT, CAST IT, SNAG IT, STUFF IT.
    • View Profile
Re: PATHOGEN 'Remnants' EP Launch - Sat 14 Nov AllAges / Fri 20 Nov 18+
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2009, 03:05:16 AM »
I think folks have to remember that most bands want to take their craft to the next level and handing over cash is the only way it happens. Its not like your paying to see a genre you dont like  :headbang: :headbang:
BEER'N'BUNDY'N'BROOME
IF ITS TOURIST SEASON WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT THEM?

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2009, 03:11:15 AM »
I think the Part in TNT's post about new bands joining the scene is a valid point. I don't think this argument has ever been about the quality of the bands, Dan was just stating the fact he thought it was a bit rich for a local gig, it probably should have been left at that point as he is entitled to his opinion...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:12:57 AM by Dementor »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
Hindsight is a fine thing.
I got a minor shock when told the door price as  I was expecting $10 $12 tops. I was happy to pay the amount being asked as I belivieved the bands were more than worth the cost. FOOL THE WORLD, was looking forward to Tasso's antics & was not dissapointed.
I still would have gone if the price had been on the flyer & there would have been no shock @ the door.
Everyone just live & learn & use the hindsight of a minor mistake/miscalculation.
The fact that the $$ went towards some bands that I really enjoy makes me happy with the cost of my night.

Knowing Dan he would have paid full cab fair home as he would have got sick of all the retards that enter after the gig & wouldn't have stayed on with the other guys. So it would have been more costly for him. I am sure he was not the only one paying for the entire fare that night. So printing the price on the flyer is something to keep in mind for all us bands putting gigs on in future.

Offline CBF

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:48 AM »
yeah has anyone noticed lately that amps dont advertise their door prices for local or international acts
its like aidan said he didnt put the door price on the flyer cos there was two gigs so it might be confusing
but i think its an amps thing so they can suck you in to coming and then chargin you this harsh door fee
i seen rocket room flyers and hydey flyers always have door prices on them
the lord/voyager show few weeks back at amps didnt have door prices on it
i dunno, im pretty sceptical about it so now i usually can be bothered ringing up the venues and asking for answers if thats what it takes
anyways was a good night :headbang:

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
:hmm: don't you have your own recording set up/business Sovereign? I wouldn't have thought you'd have to recover big $$$ for your album?

Hey man, what do you do for a living? Whatever it is you do, fancy doing it for fuck all (ie: nothing) whilst you have to turn away paying jobs to get a personal job done? Feel like not being able to make your car/home/credit card payments, or even put food on the table, because you have some three month long personal job (ie: a career) that needs doing? Who covers the overheads?

Just because I have a fully equipped guitar making factory, doesnt mean I can just pump out guitars all day for myself. I dont even own one of my own guitars. I cant afford to take the time off 'paid' work, and tell paying customers they have to wait, while i make stuff for myself. Of course, I could choose to NOT spend time with my valued family and friends, and make shit after hours. But if im going to miss time doing what Id rather do (not work!), I want to be paid for it.

If Aidan has the resources to record and produce his album, good on him. That doesnt mean he shouldnt be paid for that work in some way. To do it, he's had to turn down a lot of paid hours.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »
:hmm: don't you have your own recording set up/business Sovereign? I wouldn't have thought you'd have to recover big $$$ for your album?

Hey man, what do you do for a living? Whatever it is you do, fancy doing it for fuck all (ie: nothing) whilst you have to turn away paying jobs to get a personal job done? Feel like not being able to make your car/home/credit card payments, or even put food on the table, because you have some three month long personal job (ie: a career) that needs doing? Who covers the overheads?

Just because I have a fully equipped guitar making factory, doesnt mean I can just pump out guitars all day for myself. I dont even own one of my own guitars. I cant afford to take the time off 'paid' work, and tell paying customers they have to wait, while i make stuff for myself. Of course, I could choose to NOT spend time with my valued family and friends, and make shit after hours. But if im going to miss time doing what Id rather do (not work!), I want to be paid for it.

If Aidan has the resources to record and produce his album, good on him. That doesnt mean he shouldnt be paid for that work in some way. To do it, he's had to turn down a lot of paid hours.

It was a simple question Ormsby not a dig, and it was aimed at Aiden not you.
I work offshore on an oil rig mate if you must know...I have four kids a mortgage two cats a dog, a couple of birds and a goldfish if that makes a difference  :P I know what it's like to have to pay bills etc  
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:01:26 PM by Dementor »

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
It's "AIDAN" you cunts, Aidan with two "a"'s in it.

God it shits me.
Musician

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
Sorry Marc
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »

God it shits me.
Shut up Boeing.

;D
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »

God it shits me.
Shut up Boeing.

;D
It's "BOEIJEN" you cunts, Boeijen with a "jen"'  in it.

God it shits me

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »
I was saying Booerns!
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Sovereign

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Sovereign Studios Website
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
I'd hardly call it an argument - what better way to get feedback about something than to hear it straight from the fans / customers themselves. Most industries would kill for that kind of market research.

I think that local bands are worth a lot more than that myself, hence why I've spent years promoting all you bands, but it is all relative and about being reasonable. It isn't so much the cost itself, it is the inconsistency. I.E. If the majority of other shows are around the $10 mark, then people are going to understand that is the market baseline.

As I mentioned before, others have made it more expensive so this isn't directed at you, but then when other bands put up the price it either undervalues the others, or the price of the others will be driven up to come into line - this will make it harder for newer bands to get a foot in, because there will be plenty of people that won't be so keen to spend $x on checking out local acts. It's kinda like if dairy farmers suddenly decided their product should be worth more and you went to the shops tomorrow and overnight it had gone up to $8 for a bottle of milk.

As said before, if a launch or something is considered a 'special event', and a band or promoter wants to get more out of the fans then that would over rule, as long as it was made clear before. In this case, there is a lot of people that would have gone from just seeing it on here and/or from the flyer, so there would have been no way for them to know they'd be slugged the extra.
Merch and door price are two separate entities, some people would want one and not the other, so having one cheaper doesn't really counteract the other.

I'm all for local bands maximising their income, and I believe they are worth and deserve a lot more than they get, it's just a matter of it being done in a fair manner.

My hat goes off to you for good business practises, having a successful event and making a killing on the night, but you can't look down on people giving honest feedback or the medium via which it comes.

Well put.   I agree totally.  I really don't look down on this medium or the people who place their opinions on here though.  I'm sorry if I gave that impression.  'Argument' was a poor choice of words my part...This thread has turned into a good debate which I am choosing to take part in.   I may be stirring the pot but this is my post thread and it makes for interesting reading.  This is also a good place to give the inside information on the show to anyone who might be interested.  I encourage everyone here to give their opinion on the subject of gig pricing, there are some great points for and against this topic.

The only point I'm determined to get across is that this wasn't a profit mongering excercise.  The only recompence I got from weeks of hard, hard work was being able to play those songs for a strong crowd again.  Totally worth it though.

Firstly - How much I spend over the bar is my business and has nothing to do with this conversation. I rarely get to drink much at gigs cos I'm always working so excuse me for wanting to enjoy myself at the first gig i'd been to in ages where I wasn't working.

Secondly - I never asked for an apology and nor do I want one. As you said this is a public forum - If I've got something to say i'll say it, if you don't want to read it no-one has a gun to your head.

Thirdly - for one of the "lamest arguements" on WF it's funny how there are still quite a number of people there on the night that agreed with me. In future put the price on your flyer and in all your advertising and then it won't be a problem. Nuff said.

Oh and I am actually in a band and have been for some years now - so all your arguments about how much it costs to run a band and how much we all struggle is just preaching to the choir and frankly I find it quite condescending.

Ok, I have no problem at all with what you have said, in fact I am appreciative of your honesty & enjoyed reading your posts.  This is the type of feedback I was hoping for.  I just don't agree with you and I'm choosing to challenge your POV on this public discussion forum.  If you're going to express an opinion with arguable validity then you can expect this.  I'm not asking you to meet me behind the bike sheds after school so try not to get your knickers in a twist.

I know you're in a band.  We have met before.  You were meant to find my comments condescending.  Oh and thanks for your advice on how to market my show, will be sure to give you a call next time I'm having trouble putting on a gig.  If you see me at amps or capitol, come up and I'll shout you a beer, then you can turn your bitter $4 loss into an $8 gain!!!  Serious offer though.

Yeah, even though i only charge myself a fraction of what I would normally charge for recording, I lost a peice of hardware over the course of the recording that really fucked shit up, so in effect it cost me to record my own CD, it also somewhat compromised the final product.  A lesson to ALL protools users....Don't lose your iLok dongle or you will be in a world of shit!!!   I plan to bring this topic up in the 'Sound Advice' section of this forum.

Having said all this I encourage all of you to go to the show this friday and put your extra $4 towards some local merch.

If anyone wants to read the Xpress review on the Pathogen CD Launch then go here http://xpressmag.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=49&Itemid=110
We are between Tori Amos & Obituary.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »
Ah yeah protools, Dave has been using Protools for sometime now, we recorded 12 tracks and had a similar problem, we lost everything...pain in the arse.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
If you see me at amps or capitol, come up and I'll shout you a beer, then you can turn your bitter $4 loss into an $8 gain!!!  Serious offer though.

buy me a beer you cunt!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
Fuck PooTools. Reaper for me, no Icock & free updates to boot.  ;D

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »
ehhh..this threads turned gay....

Memorable quote of the night: Taso (ftw) "This is a new song...it's about 5 years old" :rofl:

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2009, 12:52:05 AM »
HILARIOUS
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »

Yeah, even though i only charge myself a fraction of what I would normally charge for recording, I lost a peice of hardware over the course of the recording that really fucked shit up, so in effect it cost me to record my own CD, it also somewhat compromised the final product.  A lesson to ALL protools users....Don't lose your iLok dongle or you will be in a world of shit!!!   I plan to bring this topic up in the 'Sound Advice' section of this forum.

I have never even plugged my iLok in i have no idea what it does but my protools rig still works  >:(

Offline cuntfucker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
It's 5 cunting bucks for fucks sake, are we on the fucking dole here or are we in tel aviv? Local gigs are worth more than what they charge

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »
Uhh, Tel Aviv isn't exactly poor.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2009, 07:29:41 PM »
Zing
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
Zing is right

Offline cuntfucker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
Uhh, Tel Aviv isn't exactly poor.

A reference to jews. Not much hope here if i need to spell that out

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2009, 05:53:49 AM »
Now that's just racist.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »
Now that's just racist.

are jew jokes racist or religionist (whatever the word for this is)? or both?
Mongeese like results