Author Topic: Vintage Lap Steel - Info Needed  (Read 2451 times)

Offline The AAHM Team

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • australianmetal
Vintage Lap Steel - Info Needed
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
I have a vintage (circa late 1930's to early 1940's) lap steel guitar that I am trying to find more info on and also to get some sort of appraisel for value as I am interested in selling this to go to funding an O/S trip.

From what I can tell it is a custom made (Sydney) model of the early Gibson's but with Richenbacker finish (moustache plates and horseshoe pickups). The plates are solid brass and the strings and slide ithemselves are all original as is the case. From memory my grandfather who bought this told me it cost him the equivalent of two months pay back in the day.

There is no manufacturer details and only has a sticker of the store it was purchased from (store closed in the 60's and was located on George St in Sydney). I have been told that it was never built for an Amp and was actually played through old radio's once wired up (This can not be confirmed at this stage).

Any info or suggestions on people to speak to would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Re: Vintage Lap Steel - Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »
Jacksons Rare Guitars in Sydney will know who the best person to speak to is.

Offline The AAHM Team

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • australianmetal
Re: Vintage Lap Steel - Info Needed
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
Thanks mate. Unfortunately I have been there already and they couldn't help. I have been to a few places around Sydney none of which have been able to offer much more than I already know. Thanks for the help anyway.