Author Topic: Perth - Great place to live?  (Read 9680 times)

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
Perth - Great place to live?
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
I have just finished my final night in Canada before heading to the US for 20 days and all I can say is I want to come back again very soon. No matter how obscure your taste in music, food or even culture is it is very well catered for. The people in this country also seem to be incredibly friendly (even the beggars on the street are polite ? well sometimes). You can even take public transport at night and walk the streets late and not run into trouble. What is also amazing about this country is its heritage. I?ve spent just over a week in French Canada and the amount of monuments / 17th-18th century buildings is awesome.

(Side note the bars in Canada are awesome- Good Rock clubs ? 1 night in Montreal there was $1 beer night - Not that it mattered for me  :P)

I return home in mid December and of course I?m looking forward to seeing friends, family & band mates (past and present) again but the thought of returning to Perth is somewhat depressing. It seems every time I go out to a pub or club I get the ?macho bullshit? from the general male public. I live in the city and at times I feel so uncomfortable walking home at night I walk home with my key in between my middle fingers & I just bought my girlfriend pepper spray. Perth is also so overwhelmingly small if you don?t get along with someone you always seem to run into them.

Anyone else get the ?Perth? blues?

EDIT: Whats with the question marks!!?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:43:42 PM by Muscles »

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Perth - Great place to live?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
Yeah Perth is full of macho cock heads... but it's ok cos I just smash the cunts!

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
But seriously it could be worse, Perth is pretty tame by most standards, wait till you get the the US and see how nice they are there:P

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
Only thing I hate about Perth is the weather.

Tasmania here I come.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »
Perth is fine. Like any city, you learn which areas you just don't walk through at night (alone or otherwise). In Melbourne I actually found that some of the seedier streets were often the safer ones to walk home via (i.e. Carlisle St, St Kilda, with a prostitute on every corner), because they were well-lit and there were always police around. If you looked for trouble in those places, you'd find it. If you had common sense, things were fine.

Maybe people are just extra nice over there because you're Australian ;)
fight like a girl club

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »
Everyone thinks I'm English :P

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
The only thing I don't like about Perth is the people who live here and complain about it. Harden up  ;)

But seriously, Perth/Australia has some great places to visit, trouble is people who live here don't bother to look for the monuments, old buildings, landscapes etc, people generally become complacent in there own state, when on holiday the point of going is to check out everything in another country...

I know this isn't the best example but when I ask friends if they have been to the Perth Museum or the zoo the reply is usually 'no' or 'yeah about 10 years ago'

My mate bought a bus and travelled around Australia for 8 years, his theory was why go abroad when I haven't even seen my own backyard. He was supposed to travel for two years and ended up being 8. Some of the photo's he showed me and the cobbers are fucken amazing and really opened my eyes up to what we have in our fantastic country.

I don't walk with keys between my knuckles, I walk with attitude  :laugh:

As far as the pepper spray your bought your missus, well I have no comment  :-[

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 02:02:39 AM »
Only thing I hate about Perth is the weather.

Tasmania here I come.

Could not agree more.

I wanna retire in Tassie tho, its a fucking paradise !!
You can even shop on Sundays there.    :P :-[

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:25 AM »
I'm with you, Brenton. 2 weeks in Europe over a month ago and I still can't stop thinking about how badly I wanna move over there. Seems to be a commonality between places outside Australia that the people are actually nice!

Best part about these places is the weather though. What I'd give to live in a place that snows...

Offline Bailey

• WF Major
  • "you like uh the sex crime?...high five"
    • View Profile
    • Trident Winter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 02:34:59 AM »
The only thing I don't like about Perth is the people who live here and complain about it. Harden up  ;)

Couldn't agree more mate.

I love Perth, I have never felt in danger walking the streets here...and the way i see it, anyone who doesn't like Perth is more than welcome to pack their bags and bugger off while the rest of us enjoy our life.

Nothing bugs me more than people who complain about my home town.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
It's ok. Good place to live, shit place to visit.

As opposed to many places in the world which are good places to visit but shit to live in.,

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
I'm with you, Brenton. 2 weeks in Europe over a month ago and I still can't stop thinking about how badly I wanna move over there. Seems to be a commonality between places outside Australia that the people are actually nice!

Best part about these places is the weather though. What I'd give to live in a place that snows...

The only reason you think people are 'nicer' in Europe is because you're ignorant of the real culture and you see it from a tourist's point of view. Statistically there's way more violent crimes there than in Perth. Maybe you felt safer there but that's only because you haven't been brought up in those area's so you don't know what it's really like.

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »
I love Perth, we have a very laid back way of life here. And Australia is a great place to live, in general.

But if those fucking bumchums Conroy and KRudd manage to get their bullshit internet filter through, we're selling our house and moving - with our business - to Europe for sure. I refuse to live in a nanny state.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 07:25:03 AM »
He'll probably be glad. You wont be able to vote against him.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »

The only reason you think people are 'nicer' in Europe is because you're ignorant of the real culture and you see it from a tourist's point of view. Statistically there's way more violent crimes there than in Perth. Maybe you felt safer there but that's only because you haven't been brought up in those area's so you don't know what it's really like.
Heh exactly! You see some dodgey alleyway in Northbridge and you might think twice about walking down there at 4 in the morning, but people not from here probably wouldn't even realise the inherent danger.
I've gone through all sorts of areas in different countries which were probably really dodgey, and had shady characters hanging around, in the middle of the night, by myself without really thinking about it. Then thinking about it now it probably could have been a worry.

Couldn't agree more mate.

I love Perth, I have never felt in danger walking the streets here...and the way i see it, anyone who doesn't like Perth is more than welcome to pack their bags and bugger off while the rest of us enjoy our life.

Nothing bugs me more than people who complain about my home town.
Yep, right on.. it always makes me laugh with certain people that think they have to go somewhere else to have an interesting life. There is no such thing as boring places, just boring people. Anyone that has anything against Perth either has weak (or no) mates, and/or has their own issues.

I've been to a heap of countries and cities around the other side of the world, and there is no other place I've seen yet that I'd rather live. We have an awesome balance of everything, down to earth, cool people for the most part, and a good quality of life here.

Having said that, it is awesome to travel and see different places, and experience different cultures. Cool to experience, but it is the weak minded that let their perceptions cloud and glamourise things more then they are.

Offline Ruun

• WF Lieutenant
  • there is never enoth heroin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »
Everyone thinks I'm English :P

everyone thinks your a poofter :p
ALL METAL THAT IS NOT DEATHSPELL OMEGA IS SHIT

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
Think of that line yourself or did you just steal it from family guy..

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
But seriously it could be worse, Perth is pretty tame by most standards, wait till you get the the US and see how nice they are there:P
New York City isn't too bad actually, Most people are pretty friendly.. That being said I haven't gone beyond 100th street yet & I don't plan too.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
Cool to experience, but it is the weak minded that let their perceptions cloud and glamourise things more then they are.

As DDDDDAAAAAARRRRRRREEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNN says, the grass is only as green as you make it - if you're a miserable cunt you're going to be a miserable cunt no matter WHERE you are! ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
Perth is a hole and always will be.   :D

I'd get outta here in a flash if it weren't for two things that keep me here.

Welcome to last century, dullsville.
Musician

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
Yeah travelling somewhere for a couple of weeks doesnt really give you a good indication of what its like to live there. Your not paying taxes/working their hours/getting their pay. Your just living it up and having fun so of course going home to perth your going to be like "THIS IS SHIT I HATE IT". Im sure people from overseas come to perth for 2 weeks, go down south, go to the beach, have a great time and enjoy the weather and wish they lived here too.   They are just missing the finer details like 40C days and something called "sunday trading"
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »
Perth is a place of fantastic opportunity for skilled people who are willing to work hard and know what they want.

I can't think of many other DECENT (i.e. non bowels of africa 3 month on / 1 off based) places to live in the world where experienced, highly skilled professionals can earn $200k+ for a CBD based, standard 45hr/week job!! Dubai maybe?? Who knows - who cares? ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Yeah, Perth would be especially great on a 6 figure salary, because then you can afford to get away more often, so you don't get WA Fever.

That way you get to live somewhere pleasant and laid back, but party from time to time in more exciting places, where bands are happy to tour ;)
fight like a girl club

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »
Yeah, Perth would be especially great on a 6 figure salary, because then you can afford to get away more often, so you don't get WA Fever.

That way you get to live somewhere pleasant and laid back, but party from time to time in more exciting places, where bands are happy to tour ;)

yeah, because no bands ever come to perth these days  ???
Mongeese like results

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

yeah, because no bands ever come to perth these days  ???

Exactly what I was thinking.... in the last 3 months we've had Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Megadeth, Slayer, Arch Enemy, Suffocation, Obituary and in the next week we have Amon Amarth and Acacia Strain visiting. How anyone can expect more than that is beyond me.