Author Topic: Perth - Great place to live?  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
Re: Perth - Great place to live?
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
Yeah, Perth would be especially great on a 6 figure salary, because then you can afford to get away more often, so you don't get WA Fever.

That way you get to live somewhere pleasant and laid back, but party from time to time in more exciting places, where bands are happy to tour ;)

HAHA yup..... precisely why i've been doing euro fests every year or two since 02 gorgeous! ;D

LIVE HERE. MAXIMISE INCOME HERE. MAXIMISE HOLIDAY THERE.

Exactly what I was thinking.... in the last 3 months we've had Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Megadeth, Slayer, Arch Enemy, Suffocation, Obituary and in the next week we have Amon Amarth and Acacia Strain visiting. How anyone can expect more than that is beyond me.

This is a direct result of WA (and the rest of the country by association) managing to ride out the GFC while other countries languish with recession. Put simply - we have money to burn on "bands" so they keep on coming back. Its all good baby - i like me local shows even BETTER than my o/s shindigs! ;D

HAHAHAHA

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »
That's because you're basically this guy:

;D

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »

yeah, because no bands ever come to perth these days  ???

Exactly what I was thinking.... in the last 3 months we've had Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Megadeth, Slayer, Arch Enemy, Suffocation, Obituary and in the next week we have Amon Amarth and Acacia Strain visiting. How anyone can expect more than that is beyond me.

You're kidding, no? Perth is isolated and far. I'm not complaining, because it has all the benefits associated with that, but since we are so far and don't have a huge population, it's expensive to go to stuff liiiiiiiike....

fight like a girl club

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
yeah, we dont get massive festivals, but I reckon you'll find most cities in the US dont get them either, and aside from the few fests in Europe that these guys tend to go to, most of the cities/countries over there dont get them either. Surely you cant complain. Remember back to about 5+ years ago.... it was rare for a decent metal band to come through Perth, and when they did, it was often with the Big Day Out. Bloody jews. So ungrateful.  :P
Mongeese like results

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »
fight like a girl club

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
Is anyone getting my concept of "live somewhere nice like Perth, work hard, spend your holidays in interesting/big places with a lot going on"????

Anyone?

Hello?

:/
fight like a girl club

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:24 PM »
Is anyone getting my concept of "live somewhere nice like Perth, work hard, spend your holidays in interesting/big places with a lot going on"????

Anyone?

Hello?

Uhh yeah I get that - I was just merely correcting you for saying that bands don't tour here...

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

Anyone?

Hello?

Uhh yeah I get that - I was just merely correcting you for saying that bands don't tour here...

yeah, ditto.
Mongeese like results

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
yeah, we dont get massive festivals, but I reckon you'll find most cities in the US dont get them either, and aside from the few fests in Europe that these guys tend to go to, most of the cities/countries over there dont get them either. Surely you cant complain. Remember back to about 5+ years ago.... it was rare for a decent metal band to come through Perth, and when they did, it was often with the Big Day Out. Bloody jews. So ungrateful.  :P

You'd be surprised chum - in Europe theres LOADS of big fests all throughout the year (the "few" fests the guys here have been to are the handful of the biggest ones monopolising the lucrative "summer circuit" in europe each year) and even more mini / touring fests. Its non stop - they have population density and small distance between cities to thank for that.

Perth / oz is getting its fair share of touring gigs and HEAPS more than 5 - 10 years ago (which is a good thing) but even this doesnt really come up to par with the sheer number of touring bands through a city such as hamburg for instance. Having said that of course its not a bad thing as TOO MANY touring bands through a city leads to contempt and a "cbf going.... seen em before anyways" culture amongst fans. Here at least people are still keen to go to MOST of the shit that comes here (although theres always tragic unappreciated examples such as classic gigs by GRAVE and DEATH ANGEL / ARMORED SAINT earlier this year).

However, as AWESOME as the HUGE fests which people revere as "metal mecca" are (and they really ARE ... dont get me wrong.... ive done 20+ of them in my metal career and had a KILLER time at most), they do have their downsides. Put simply, theyre damn hard work. Struggle to get in/out of, overcrowding, heat, rain, cold, mud, filth, shitty food, hordes of drunken fuckwits, treated like cattle, theiving cunts, lack of basic hygiene, lack of shelter, plus a whole lot of standing around / waiting time between the bands you want to see. Even if it was a festival where every single one of the 30 bands you wanted to see were awesome - physically seeing band after band for days on end is exhausting, overwhelming and disenchanting. Of course the fact when you are drunk, the night is perfect and you see your FAVORITE band play your favorite songs flawlessly makes its all worthwhile (which is why i kept going back for all these years). ;D

With this in mind - local touring band gigs are at least as good as if not better - purely for their price and convenience (not to mention the bands get longer sets locally than at fests in general) if anything else. ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline Teeman

• WF Colonel
  • Open Your Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »
Aside from some bumpkin small town, Perth is pretty much the only game in town with regards to working in the minerals industry. And as SOD said, not just in Australia. The only other places mineral industry professionals can make a good career out of what they're worth are places like Mongolia, Central Africa, South Africa and Canada. Guess which is the only other one I'd consider :P

So in that regard, I feel incredibly lucky that I happened to grow up here and ultimately made the choice to stay here. Nearly half of the graduating class went to uni went over East and after about 3-4 years from graduation, almost all of them have winded back in SW Western Australia because here is where the quality work is (or at least its access via FIFO).

Which leads me onto the benefits :D Namely, as I've discovered in my 20s, metal festivals! I'm not going to bother to echo SODs sentiments, once again, because hes pretty much on the money and I wouldn't have them any other way. I'd just like to add that SMALL festivals and superior to LARGE festivals, especially my beloved DONG ;D I remember about 3 or 4 bands who played that weekend and to be honest I wouldn't be spewin' if I couldn't remember any of them, I just had that good a time. God, the first night of DONG was just, just the best night of my fucking life!

Whiiiiiich brings me full circle. Living in Perth gives me the ability to work in a profession that I really enjoy, which then gives me enough disposable income to do what I REALLY enjoy. While I don't like being around Northbridge surrounded by dead-shits as the next metalhead, I know in the big picture it's ultimately in my best interests to hang around and at least tolerate it, if not try to enjoy it once in a while ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:53:55 PM by Teeman »
[Psychonaut] Sounds like Black Sabbath having rough sex with NWOBHM while 'early' Slayer jerks off in the corner  :cunning:

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 01:38:27 AM »
If you plan well then you don't need a great deal of money to attend any Euro fests

Yep, so true. Done it two years running, planning next year already.

Flight to Germany: AUD ~$1600 if you book early

Flights and reasonable accommodation, but not counting food or merchandise (oh, the merchandise), me and the other half spent $5200 between us going to Wacken, a week in Switzerland to go to the Giger museum (and Switzerland was hellishly expensive), then a week in Krakow getting smashed in tiny metal clubs on the best and cheapest vodka in the whole of Europe. If we'd stayed in Germany and done two or three festivals instead of flying all around the place, we coulda shaved $1500 off that easy, probably more.

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »

Anyone?

Hello?

Bands do tour here.... it's just that most of them aren't very good.
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 04:27:54 AM »
I'm with you, Brenton. 2 weeks in Europe over a month ago and I still can't stop thinking about how badly I wanna move over there. Seems to be a commonality between places outside Australia that the people are actually nice!

Best part about these places is the weather though. What I'd give to live in a place that snows...

The only reason you think people are 'nicer' in Europe is because you're ignorant of the real culture and you see it from a tourist's point of view. Statistically there's way more violent crimes there than in Perth. Maybe you felt safer there but that's only because you haven't been brought up in those area's so you don't know what it's really like.

Maybe so, but I'd like to see what would happen here if you got 10 000 people in one beer hall drinking stein after stein (especially in a place like Northbridge). I think total fucking mayhem with just about everyone beating the shit out of each other. Probably the odd one punch death to boot. However when we went to Oktoberfest we didn't see ONE single act of violence in our beer hall. I have a feeling it was probably a similar story in each of the dozen or so beer halls.

If we had a festival of drinking here with similar amounts of people, I would stay the fuck away because I know that when Australians get drunk, many of them get violent and what really irks me is that it is almost seen as normal. Popular culture seems to embrace the 'drink and fight' mentality whereas in Europe, people appear to be so much more respectful of one another and troublemakers aren't tolerated.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:57 AM »
We have oktoberfest here too. Obviously we get less people attending due to the population difference. But if we did get the same attendance I don't think there would be a significant difference in occurrence of violent crime between the two. Why would we narrow it down to a place like north bridge? If we did that then to make it a fare comparison then we would have to move the other event to the most fucked up night spot in Germany. I'm not sure but I'd guess Germany has some pretty fucked up places too.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »
But Northbridge isn't seen by the masses as a "fucked up night spot" it's the most popular place in Perth to go out.

And I think hell yes there would be a significant amount of violence if 10 000 people got together to drink themselves stupid. I don't know figures but I imagine there are a lot of arrests and a lot of fights in Northbridge every Friday and Saturday night, and that is spread out across the whole area as well as several different pubs/clubs. Condense them down to one indoor place and I bet you everything I own it would be chaos.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:52 AM »
I'm not sure but I'd guess Germany has some pretty fucked up places too.

Der Reeperbahn  :thumbup: :drunk:
HAHAHAHA

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 05:21:51 AM »
I'm not sure but I'd guess Germany has some pretty fucked up places too.

Der Reeperbahn  :thumbup: :drunk:

It's perfectly safe, the signs keep the people with guns away

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 05:30:32 AM »
HAHAHA.... actually i felt a lot "safer" there at 4am than i ever do in Northbridge or any other aussie "nightspot". However there were some VERY dodgy places in europe  e.g. pyramide bus/metro station in rome at night in summer = 200 shirtless homeless fucks all eyeing you, ya missus and ya wallet off with an evil glint in their eye. Having said that the big organised events in germany etc were a LOT less likely to have random violence and where there was - it was usually foreigners, either FUCKING AUSTRALIAN YOBBOS or ENGLISH CHAV SCUM or both ....

Mindless violence is not an australian only thing - its just that we are more exposed to a one punch wonder in northbridge as its in our city as opposed to a similar incident in say.... hmm... Leeds UK.
HAHAHAHA

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »
to me there's a whole basket of reasons shit happens in Northbridge.
One big one is, you can do just about anything you want here and get away with it.

people wouldnt fuck up so much if they had the fuckn book thrown at them.
If your in Jail you cant do much.
If your crippled to the shithouse with fines and repremands, youre gonna think twice, if you have half a brain.
which is another topic entierely.

a couple hundred bucks and a good behaviour for kicking the piss out of some dude you dont even know just isnt going to do it.

People do shit beacuse they can, simple. Simpleton's do as simpleton does.

Perth is a shitbox on so many levels, i'll take Canada any day.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 05:38:11 AM »
Hey I still think Perth is a good place, I just think it is inhabited by idiots (well moreso Australia in general).

Oh and the weather sucks.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:51 AM »
i guess really, you choose where you want to live based on what you wanna do with yourself.

I dont think music wise im making the best decision put it that way.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
But Northbridge isn't seen by the masses as a "fucked up night spot" it's the most popular place in Perth to go out.

And I think hell yes there would be a significant amount of violence if 10 000 people got together to drink themselves stupid. I don't know figures but I imagine there are a lot of arrests and a lot of fights in Northbridge every Friday and Saturday night, and that is spread out across the whole area as well as several different pubs/clubs. Condense them down to one indoor place and I bet you everything I own it would be chaos.

Perth has a population of 1.5 million Germany has a population of over 82 million making their population about 54.76 times larger than ours. In order to get an unbiased sample population (i.e. the same ratio of normal people to psychopaths that would attend Oktoberfest each given region) our Perth sample population would have to be 54.76 times smaller than the German one. So if 10 000 people went to the German Oktoberfest then in order for our Perth Oktoberfest to be an accurate sample we would need to have at least 182 patrons attending. The Oktoberfest here is held annually at the Moon and Sixpence and surely attracts that number of people. When was the last time you heard of a fight breaking out at Oktoberfest Perth? (Besides which if you were at a festival with 10 000 people how would you know whether any violence had broken out anyway, chances are it did and you were just clueless to it). So if our population was 54.76 times larger, like that of Germany, then statistically speaking 10 000 people attending Oktoberfest Perth would not result in mass violence. 

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
Er, no. Total population of the countries is irrelevant when we're talking about a fixed number of adults partaking in one particular activity. We're not talking about psychopaths, we're talking about normal people who are in one place for a common reason. Whether that be 0.1% of the population or 10% of the population, it makes no difference.

Either way, those numbers kinda say the opposite of the point you're trying to get across. 10 000 out of a big total population with little to no violence compared to 10 000 people out of a small population with plenty of violence would suggest that the smaller population does have an inherent problem with violent drunken behavior.

Saying 182 people here drinking beer is a fair comparison to 10 000 people in Germany drinking beer is...inaccurate, to say the least.

And suggesting that our pissy little "Oktoberfest" at The Moon And Sixpence is in anyway comparable to the real thing in Munich suggests that you have not been there. It is quite an experience.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
This is a really interesting argument.

Please, continue.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 04:41:07 PM »
Er, no. Total population of the countries is irrelevant when we're talking about a fixed number of adults partaking in one particular activity. We're not talking about psychopaths, we're talking about normal people who are in one place for a common reason. Whether that be 0.1% of the population or 10% of the population, it makes no difference.

Either way, those numbers kinda say the opposite of the point you're trying to get across. 10 000 out of a big total population with little to no violence compared to 10 000 people out of a small population with plenty of violence would suggest that the smaller population does have an inherent problem with violent drunken behavior.

Saying 182 people here drinking beer is a fair comparison to 10 000 people in Germany drinking beer is...inaccurate, to say the least.

And suggesting that our pissy little "Oktoberfest" at The Moon And Sixpence is in anyway comparable to the real thing in Munich suggests that you have not been there. It is quite an experience.

that + dipshits and low life tralier trash folk tend to go walking the streets pissed looking for trouble since they donts got fuck all spodulli and social skills.

I would definaltey say for the size we are, we have a infestation of fuckwads. I dont think its alcohol related, more the case, hey look! im a complete fuckhead, and now...lets get drunk!