Author Topic: Decline?  (Read 65785 times)

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Decline?
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
I have gone to very few gigs due to the distance factor.

Same here. I have recently moved to Ravenswood, and it's not even really worth catching the train from Mandurah because by the time you drive over there, and jump on a train you could be half way to Perth. Not to mention that it's expensive to catch the train unless you are a student.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
city living..can't complain  ;D
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
city living..can't complain  ;D

I use to live in Leeming, and that's when I use to go to a lot more gigs.

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
I think that distance is probably a defining factor. Perth as a city is quite spread out and going out somewhere to drink and then taxi home is expensive and oftening time consuming waiting for a taxi. I used to go to a shirtload of gigs at the whitesands/lookout (down the road from me in scabs), now..hardly any.

Offer free taxi vouchers at gigs?
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm never keen to travel far either.

Make the next gig a house party sleepover.
fight like a girl club

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • www.ozfishforsale.com.au
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
Hahahaha!! Yeah, I used to live in scabs before clark'o, and thats when I was out at gigs every w/e there was a decent one on.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »
yeah it is a defining factor at least in a sudden decision change regarding attending a gig...

Offline MetalMoe

• WF Major
  • BAIT IT, CAST IT, SNAG IT, STUFF IT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:39 AM »

Also, at international/interstate gigs where numbers are high, offer discounted entry or beer vouchers to unfamiliar faces, aswell as gig flyers.  A bad example (ok maybe not bad, just not so successful considering I don't think they exist anymore) of good promotion is rocking up to gigs that you have no interest in other than to promote your band.  Dave Harrison used to do it for Black Steel, even at blackmetal gigs.  An hour or so of your time - a few more heads through the door?
Thats a great example of being willing to put in the miles as far promotion of your band(if you have the time). At any gig Dave would be happy to talk about his band and metal in general to anyone regardless of sub-genres. Harro is such a trooper :headbang: 
BEER'N'BUNDY'N'BROOME
IF ITS TOURIST SEASON WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT THEM?

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2010, 02:41:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm never keen to travel far either.

Make the next gig a house party sleepover.
You're just hoping it'll turn in to an orgy of sweating, long-haired men.  :P
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43:19 AM »
...the problem reprised  :hmm:

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
A few more random thoughts..

I think, maybe, for bands you have to decide where you want to go.

Are you happy with it being a 'hobby'? Play the occasional gig and maybe fund a cd/ep? If family and work commitments limit you, then this is your situation. Nothing wrong with it, but you wont get 'far' in the grand scheme of things and play to friends and a few die hards.

Do you want to make a career playing music? Best of luck to you, its not impossible but you might have to take a similar route to Damo and play in cover bands 3/4 nights a week. At least you'l be getting great at your chosen instrument, gaining valuable stage time to shake any stage fright and play a variety of different crowds and venues.

Is gaining national and international recognition a goal? Maybe getting an album contract? Again its not impossible. Allegiance, Alchemist (signed to relapse), iNFeCTeD (signed to Shock/Thrust), N.I.L (signed to Roadrunner). Promote yourself well and play the hell out of ALL shows regardless of the size of the crowd as you never know who is watching..

Also, guys if you have momentum RUN WITH IT or you will lose it. Your brand new cd is released: awesome. Promote it, send it out for review and plan some more gigs to give the new tracks airing.

Even if you're doing minimal stuff, update your audience/friends/fans with things ANYTHING to keep you in peoples minds. A small blog/article with photos showing you jamming/recording etc I love Chaos Divine and am glad for their success, but I cant help but fell they've lost a bit of momentum after the AHMA win by not doing much (although i know there are many factors involved here)

Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2010, 05:11:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure Chaos are writing.(Maybe they can confirm that.)
Plus they did a bunch of shows in Europe before AMAs so...

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2010, 05:49:27 AM »
all i can say is, going back several years ago, alot of people were going to gigs and running a muck in the pit, now i dont see much of that going on at all.
I think alot metal fans here have changed.
a different generation and alot more laid back.
Metal appears more than ever to have gone underground. You see nothing of it anywhere, unless youre looking for it.
What you dont see can hurt you.

right or wrong, thats how i see it.

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:10 AM »
all i can say is, going back several years ago, alot of people were going to gigs and running a muck in the pit, now i dont see much of that going on at all.
I think alot metal fans here have changed.
a different generation and alot more laid back.
Metal appears more than ever to have gone underground. You see nothing of it anywhere, unless youre looking for it.
Underground? You reckon!? Metal seems more mainstream than today than ever before...
You're right about the crowds though, there are a lot more guys with surf brand t-shirts and neat hair cuts at gigs who are more likely to nod vaguely and take facebook photos than recklessly smash in to people whilst attempting in vain to not spill a beer.
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline MD

• WF Private
  • ITS A TRAP
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 07:31:56 AM »
a suggestion here for the whole travel expenses thing is an idea I got off my older brother, who goes out to the pub frequently with about a dozen mates, they pick one guy/girl each time to play designated driver and pay for his/her meal/entry/soft drinks/fuel ect all night I mean yeah its a downer but think about it. 1 driver + 4 passengers thats 5 punters right there.

Now trying not to get onto a bandwagon but sometimes I find the mix of bands to be a bit off. Out of the shows that I have been to I still think Soundworks nail it with the line up for example the xmas show that they did back in 08 with Chaos Divine and Dyscord playing back to back shows as headliner and support and then with Claim The Throne and another band as the other support was two of the best shows Id been to that year. Where is with other promoters and no offense intended to them they kinda aim for the more mainstream "scene" styles like metalcore/hardcore ect and through them on as supports before a band like Gallows for Grace or something,this just doesnt add up to me because the punters die off by the time the main act comes on. Im not saying stick the same bands on the same bill every weekend but just be very careful on the genre crossing. This could be a reason for the decline of  mosh crowds as well. I remember venturing to one show where a punter claimed he would leave the show if he couldnt hardcore dance to chaos divine.

I think Perth has a very good music scene with alot more potential and this is just my 2c I could be wrong but hey just something I observed.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2010, 07:45:32 AM »
All I picked up from that was you don't consider Chaos Divine and Dyscord "mainstream" or "scene".

:rofl:
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
Senton, you're absolutely right that after the AMA's it would have been beneficial to follow up with some kind of tour or something, but I guess such activities are limited by time and money. With 3 of the guys in the band being students and therefore having no money, it became virtually impossible to tour at will, especially when band funds had been well and truly depleted after the European tour and then the AMA event itself.

The genre crossing thing has proven to be very hit and miss, mostly miss. People just don't seem to be willing to go to a gig unless they're semi interested in 3 out of the 4 bands on the bill. When there are four bands, two of one style and two of a completely different style, all it seems to do is alienate punters from each scene. In my experience it just hasn't worked at all. A solid lineup of closely related metal styles has always seemed to result in far more successful gigs.

Nihilist, I'd rather be mainstream than some deluded underground elitist knob any day of the week. To me, achieving mainstream success while still making credible and fulfilling music is the ultimate goal of every band, whether they admit to it or not. If your favourite band Macabre were offered a million dollar record deal, they'd fucken take it, and they'd be right in doing so.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
Senton, you're absolutely right that after the AMA's it would have been beneficial to follow up with some kind of tour or something, but I guess such activities are limited by time and money. With 3 of the guys in the band being students and therefore having no money, it became virtually impossible to tour at will, especially when band funds had been well and truly depleted after the European tour and then the AMA event itself.

That's when Arts WA quick response grants are the go, a band of your stature and accolades would piss it in.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
Nihilist, I'd rather be mainstream than some deluded underground elitist knob any day of the week. To me, achieving mainstream success while still making credible and fulfilling music is the ultimate goal of every band, whether they admit to it or not. If your favourite band Macabre were offered a million dollar record deal, they'd fucken take it, and they'd be right in doing so.

The subject matter of their lyrics means that will never happen, that's the path they chose. I'm sure they'd take a million dollars to do what they do, but that simply won't happen, so your analogy doesn't make any sense.

They make a decent living regardless I am sure. Despite all their fans being "deluded underground elitist knobs".

Besides all of that, I like some "mainstream" bands, I just thought it was hilarious that that dude didn't consider Chaos Divine and Dyscord to be among the mainstream.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
Dyscord are actually pretty heavy these days I reckon. 

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »
To me, achieving mainstream success while still making credible and fulfilling music is the ultimate goal of every band, whether they admit to it or not.

I repute.

I have no interest in achieving mainstream success while still making credible and fulfilling music. Music is an art form.
What motivates one person or band is not a motive for all.

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »

The subject matter of their lyrics means that will never happen, that's the path they chose. I'm sure they'd take a million dollars to do what they do, but that simply won't happen, so your analogy doesn't make any sense.

100%

If you really do want mainstream success, you'll have a serious think about the genre first :P
fight like a girl club

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »

They make a decent living regardless I am sure. Despite all their fans being "deluded underground elitist knobs".

Besides all of that, I like some "mainstream" bands, I just thought it was hilarious that that dude didn't consider Chaos Divine and Dyscord to be among the mainstream.
Matt is completely right. That was a ill founded comment. Macabre is one of my favourite bands of all time, and having followed them for over 15 years, I have noticed the pride they take in releasing their works on the OWN independent record label, Decomposed Records. This allows them complete artistic freedom. I honestly don't believe that, in the incredulous event they were offered a big-time deal, that they would accept the offer.

As far as "heavy music" sounds are concerned, I would think that Chaos Divine and Dyscord sit very comfortably in the more 'mainstream' sounding section of the genre. Some one name me a gigging metal band from Perth that sounds MORE mainstream?? Maybe something like Voyager?
(NOTE: I'm not intending the use of "mainstream" to be derogatory. You could replace that word with "accessible". Mainstream sound often leads to some form of success. Personally I find it boring and predictable, though)
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
Wank wank wank, I don't think mainstream is a derogatory term it just means you're boring and predictable. Macabre are a commercial success who appeal to a mainstream audience. Out of all the 'heavier' bands I can think of Macabre are the most popular to an audience other than metal heads. Of course they wont sell out because they don't need to they already make money. And fuck anyone who says they're not after commercial success because they're full of shit.

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
tell that to the thousands of cunts recording black metal in their room
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.