Author Topic: Decline?  (Read 65843 times)

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
Re: Decline?
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2010, 06:43:21 AM »
If a band is good people will go see them, Simple.
Not.

the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »
dont ask me of the venue, i guess it'd have to be outside somewhere, but i always thought a once or twice yearly metalfest here with Perth metal bands would go off.
Im talking like a half day/half night thing.

we'd be talking alot of bands here, and im thinking if it was advertised properly it could work.
Well you'd soon fuckn find out how big, or not big, metal is here atm.  
If you've got most bands here playing it, youre gonna get an answer either way.

i might get slamed for this, but there needs to be more going on than just metal bands ya know? i dunno what, but fuck me, maybe it could be an opportunity for people with other things/projects, not necessarily music realted, to make an appearance and try to get some interest/business going.
obviously it has to fit with the whole theme of the day.  eg tatto show, local chopper builders latest bike build on show etc. You scratch my back i scratch yours shit ya know? We'd be all doing each other a favour. At the end of the day its all about advertising, getting the word out.  

Just throwing an idea out there. Someone throw some more on it.

This has been done a few times at the now-defunct Grsovenor back room, It used to feature a whole swag of metal bands from 1pm right through till midnight. It was done once a year and used to get decent crowds.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »
dont ask me of the venue, i guess it'd have to be outside somewhere, but i always thought a once or twice yearly metalfest here with Perth metal bands would go off.
Im talking like a half day/half night thing.

we'd be talking alot of bands here, and im thinking if it was advertised properly it could work.
Well you'd soon fuckn find out how big, or not big, metal is here atm.  
If you've got most bands here playing it, youre gonna get an answer either way.

i might get slamed for this, but there needs to be more going on than just metal bands ya know? i dunno what, but fuck me, maybe it could be an opportunity for people with other things/projects, not necessarily music realted, to make an appearance and try to get some interest/business going.
obviously it has to fit with the whole theme of the day.  eg tatto show, local chopper builders latest bike build on show etc. You scratch my back i scratch yours shit ya know? We'd be all doing each other a favour. At the end of the day its all about advertising, getting the word out.  

Just throwing an idea out there. Someone throw some more on it.

This has been done a few times at the now-defunct Grsovenor back room, It used to feature a whole swag of metal bands from 1pm right through till midnight. It was done once a year and used to get decent crowds.

Fuck I remember those shows. It needs to happen again. Either once or even twice a year. Hell maybe 4 times hahaha. I think @ least twice a year, say summer & winter.
Those good ole day big events were the shit. Bands were more about helping eachother out & healthy competition, ea band would try to blow all the others off the stage. These days there is W A Y too much bitching, there is still comradry, but it used to be W A Y better.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
Fuck I remember those shows. It needs to happen again. Either once or even twice a year. Hell maybe 4 times hahaha. I think @ least twice a year, say summer & winter.
Those good ole day big events were the shit. Bands were more about helping eachother out & healthy competition, ea band would try to blow all the others off the stage. These days there is W A Y too much bitching, there is still comradry, but it used to be W A Y better.

I thought there was one being organised for this March, at a dance studio or something?

The hardest part I reckon would be finding a suitable, willing venue, and getting enough funding to properly advertise the event. A government arts grant might work for that though. Although it's not the normal stuff that Soundworks do, they've got the knowledge and connections to make it work. If they're not interested, I wouldn't mind looking into getting something like this set up, maybe for next this winter, or next summer, depending when applications for grants need to be in by.

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2010, 02:53:59 PM »
I think the scene is fair. Most bands in Perth have the respect they deserve. Some people\bands from Perth have worked hard enough to earn an international reputation for themselves. It takes a lot of dedication, learning and skill. Again I say lower drink prices may bring more people to gigs but it wont give a lasting and respectful audience. IF PEOPLE DON'T THINK YOUR MUSIC IS THAT GREAT THEY WON'T COME TO SEE YOU.
Iron Maiden isn't famous for selling cheap beer. Cheaper beer prices probably had nothing to do with Morbid Angel's Alters of Madness or Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse. People would still pay to see these bands if no alcohol was available. There are very few bands in Perth that can claim this.

Eg.

now personally I  wait for a few of my favourites to be on the same line up before I will attend...Makes good listening and worth the $$$ spent...

Comments like this are scattered throughout this thread.

Music matters!

This whole thing reminds me of a story about shadows in a cave.... :)

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
If people want extra entertainment and the venue is cool with it im more than happy (actually would be fucken honoured) to do fire at gigs. With at least 7 of us spinners we could get a decent show going, plus when i drink/get high with fire i usually end up running a mini spinning academy teaching randoms who want to learn. Just an idea from outside the box.
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »

Like Against the Grain in Adelaide. It's been going about 5 years ago, the first year it was a couple of bands with Lee from Double Dragon's mum cooking sausages on the BBQ, but it's really gotten pretty big.
http://metalasfuck.net/zine/articles/2009/against-grain-v-festival-founder-lee-gardiner-bigger-and-more-diverse-ever

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »

I thought there was one being organised for this March, at a dance studio or something?

The hardest part I reckon would be finding a suitable, willing venue, and getting enough funding to properly advertise the event. A government arts grant might work for that though. Although it's not the normal stuff that Soundworks do, they've got the knowledge and connections to make it work. If they're not interested, I wouldn't mind looking into getting something like this set up, maybe for next this winter, or next summer, depending when applications for grants need to be in by.

If you need a hand mate, i would love to be involved.
Count my band in too.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
I can't hear anyone over the sound of my heart bleeding for bar owners paying all those damn taxes while driving $100000 cars.

tax is not a such a dirty word after all.

just an evil concept
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »
If people want extra entertainment and the venue is cool with it im more than happy (actually would be fucken honoured) to do fire at gigs. With at least 7 of us spinners we could get a decent show going, plus when i drink/get high with fire i usually end up running a mini spinning academy teaching randoms who want to learn. Just an idea from outside the box.

lol remind me not to be around you when you're drunk/high and playing with fire.

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »
I can't hear anyone over the sound of my heart bleeding for bar owners paying all those damn taxes while driving $100000 cars.

just an evil concept

Helloooo Mr Right-wing!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:36:51 PM by venismecha »
fight like a girl club

Offline Justooon

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:43 PM »
What were reading here:

Dude A: Drinks are too expensive man.. Its about the Drinks..
Dude B: Pre-sell tickets/Bring one get one free/Tix Tix Tix
Dude C: Names of gigs are gay/No Women/Kthnx

Bottom Line:

Good bands attract good crowds..

Prime example? UTI album launch Friday night. The the crowd in that room rose and fell like the tides.One set you'd see 20-30 people rocking out the next wall to wall punters.

Drinks were 12 bucks each shit was still expensive it was still a sausage fest but the good band pulled the punters and all bands were heard.If not front and centre out in the yard.Good times were had music was heard and money was made.

Yes the local scene needs support and this could come in alot of forms which have been outlined here.

To the bands that would like to see a change in there crowd numbers.. bribe, cheat, steal, suck dick, call favours do whatever it takes to get your band heard.. Get busy, get exposure.. listen to feedback and act on it. if your shit sucks find out why and change it.Basically if you want to make money. Sell out. want to be an individual and write what you like? Respect.But you cant take that stance and then question the community when people dont show.

Caps.
Amps.
Rocket Room.

This will be your domain. It is in places like this people will hear you because:

A)      There moden
B)      Secure
C)      Centralized
D)      Exposed/Advertised

Soundworks obviously know this and hold a vast majority of there shows at these venues. They dont throw around "limited time offers" or cheap gimmicks in order to get people in they just line up good bands and people walk in.

Gone are the days were people pony up for a cause. Everything is give and take and music is no different.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:42:51 PM by Justooon »

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
^I agree with this RE: the venue choice

I think I've been focusing too heavily on how to make gigs at The Castle more appealing, because yeah, I'm already pretty much down with the other venues if the band is right.
fight like a girl club

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »

"

just an evil concept

Helloooo Mr Right-wing!

"wings" are just as stupid a concept, i am on no wing...as such the propents of taxing can pay a  larger share for their "educated" views, since they have such an attraction for such legal plunder...as if!  :)

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
I've been to amps and couldn't help but notice all the clubbers wondering in and out. i hear the venues stay open as a club after the gig and these people wonder in early and usually when its a metal show wonder back out n come back later. they're not there for the music. they're there to get drunk and laid. like the drunk that gave me and my friend the eye and then pinched my butt and almost got knocked out for it. I so rarely bump into people like that at the castle because its nice and underground. only the regulars, the bands and people that follow the bands go there. I think it shows how well a band is really doing when they pull a crowd at a place like that rather than a club like amps. And don't places like amps not allow bands until they are the kind of band that pulls a crowd at a place like the castle? the smaller venues give these bands a leg up, and if the bands take that and make the most of it, pulling their weight in promo and on stage, they go places, then they get all snobby and most most dont come back to where it all started.

OH and neverborn, I got one of those free cds at a HQ gig when i was there taking photos with red! I still have it somewhere. I ripped the music to the computer and played it and other local stuff to friends, but i keep the CDs safely put away ^.^ My treasures.

-Wednesday.

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »
I have interpreted the above post as;

"The Castle is a better venue for metal compared to the Amplifier Bar".

Let me respond with this;

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »

Hahahahaha the best!

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
And don't places like amps not allow bands until they are the kind of band that pulls a crowd

Not true.. Agony played there over a year ago and we were never a big crowd band.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

as such gigs could be at Onyx  word!

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »
lolololololololol

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
What were reading here:

Dude A: Drinks are too expensive man.. Its about the Drinks..
Dude B: Pre-sell tickets/Bring one get one free/Tix Tix Tix
Dude C: Names of gigs are gay/No Women/Kthnx

Bottom Line:

Good bands attract good crowds..

Prime example? UTI album launch Friday night. The the crowd in that room rose and fell like the tides.One set you'd see 20-30 people rocking out the next wall to wall punters.

Drinks were 12 bucks each shit was still expensive it was still a sausage fest but the good band pulled the punters and all bands were heard.If not front and centre out in the yard.Good times were had music was heard and money was made.

Yes the local scene needs support and this could come in alot of forms which have been outlined here.

To the bands that would like to see a change in there crowd numbers.. bribe, cheat, steal, suck dick, call favours do whatever it takes to get your band heard.. Get busy, get exposure.. listen to feedback and act on it. if your shit sucks find out why and change it.Basically if you want to make money. Sell out. want to be an individual and write what you like? Respect.But you cant take that stance and then question the community when people dont show.

Caps.
Amps.
Rocket Room.

This will be your domain. It is in places like this people will hear you because:

A)      There moden
B)      Secure
C)      Centralized
D)      Exposed/Advertised

Soundworks obviously know this and hold a vast majority of there shows at these venues. They dont throw around "limited time offers" or cheap gimmicks in order to get people in they just line up good bands and people walk in.

Gone are the days were people pony up for a cause. Everything is give and take and music is no different.

I disagree to an extent.

As good as UTI are, its not about that. Crowds are generally always higher at CD launches, so its not really a fair comparison to make to the weekly shows being put on around the place, where the problem of low crowds really lies.

Also, regarding soundworks booking those venues you mentioned. Yes, they do make good venues but its not like other bands arent ringing the very same venues making similar proposals.

The soundworks guys worked damn hard to build a reputation for their business, and that business now has currency when it comes time to booking shows. Booking agents know that well-organised shows put on by people who have had produced the goods in the past is likely to be a sure thing.

Newer/disorganised bands do not have this currency to barter with, and initially many of them would be turned away from better venues like these or left to wait months before getting their shot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:02:30 PM by Damo »

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »

I'm not saying any venues are better than any other venues in general, I'm saying some have qualities that others lack so it depends what you want out of a venue.
I like smaller crowds and no clubbers, i like bands pulling their weight to get people there instead of just restricting themselves to popular venues so they look good, i like the castle. :P

-Wednesday.

Offline Justooon

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »

Also, regarding soundworks booking those venues you mentioned. Yes, they do make good venues but its not like other bands arent ringing the very same venues making similar proposals.

The soundworks guys worked damn hard to build a reputation for their business, and that business now has currency when it comes time to booking shows. Booking agents know that well-organised shows put on by people who have had produced the goods in the past is likely to be a sure thing.

Newer/disorganised bands do not have this currency to barter with, and initially many of them would be turned away from better venues like these or left to wait months before getting their shot.

Doesnt this just encourage bands to work that much harder to become the attention of leading booking agents ? If you cant break in on whats allready established make best effort to get in on whats allready happening.
If you have a band that puts on blow away shows and packs out smaller venues wouldnt a business extend there resources to you so that they can make some money off your ass ?

Newer bands unless well connected wont be able to jump to the top of the food chain and thats understandable but if your bringing something to the table that people like and will change there normal schedule to come and see then things can only go better from there right? Or am I thinking too simply ?

I am not familiar with the inner workings of booking agents and what or what isnt in there best intrerest and this is creeping off the topic of crowd numbers but to me not getting behind something that has potential to expand your portfolio doesnt make sense to me...

i like bands pulling their weight to get people there instead of just restricting themselves to popular venues so they look good, i like the castle. :P

Dont bands want to pull less weight ? Arnt they there to show the crowd what they have spent time and effort developing ? To see a band "pull weight" and put on a killer set is great but wouldnt you rather as a band avoid the need to motivate your audience to come and see you when the pulling power of a well organized gig and a prominent venue can do that for you?

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:27 PM »
If you have a band that puts on blow away shows and packs out smaller venues wouldnt a business extend there resources to you so that they can make some money off your ass ?
Yes, but you can be an absolute shit band and theyll still be interested if you can get the people through the door.

My new band pulled a good sized crowd for its first gig, and yet no one had even heard a note prior. We marketed it a certain way and it seemed to draw the attention of punters. Maybe they liked it, maybe they didnt, but the figures we generated now allow us to barter more strongly for our next show, hopefully keeping the momentum going.

but if your bringing something to the table that people like and will change there normal schedule to come and see then things can only go better from there right? Or am I thinking too simply ?

I am not familiar with the inner workings of booking agents and what or what isnt in there best intrerest and this is creeping off the topic of crowd numbers but to me not getting behind something that has potential to expand your portfolio doesnt make sense to me...
No, youve got a great concept, but the problem is that booking agents are a conservative bunch, and most arent as actively involved with the music scene as we might expect. They wont risk where they dont need to. If an established band wants a gig the same night as your new band with original concepts - you will lose out to the established act.

Having the potential to work means that its yet to prove itself - and so whether its an awesome idea or not, In my experience most agencies wont be overly interested until they can see the numbers jumping on board to come and see it.

Offline Justooon

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
/\ Thanks for the insight man... Very interesting.