Author Topic: Decline?  (Read 65805 times)

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Decline?
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »
I remember the Castle used to do nachos/wedges (I think pizza as well?  I forget) years ago when they had their regular 'Metal Nights' ...

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2010, 07:45:01 AM »
They will need approval before they can serve any food prepared on the premises. That venue will not get that approval. Doesn't matter if they prepare it, or you BYO and do it out the back, you need that approval.

Nachos, wedges, hot dogs, gourmet fucking lizard and egg nog pie... its irrelevant. Food isnt stopping people SEEING A BAND.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
Maybe not you but it helps for me. One reason I like Amps is city kebab.
Have a look how many punters are in city kebab, a lot more than once in a night & tell me food doesn't help.
It maybe shouldn't but it does.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
The sidefill onstage @ the castle is not the problem. The problem is when the mix is bad you cannot hear anything. Fine for some bands but fucking useless for us.
When the mix is right the castle is good when it is wrong it is FUCKED.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2010, 08:08:52 AM »
I've noticed when Elvis is behind the desk sound aint as good as when beard guy w/ hat does it. Beard guy w/ hat ftw.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
EVERY venue in Perth has it's issues & EVERY point raised on here is valid.

STOP ARGUING OVER THE VALIDITY OF PEOPLE'S POINT OF VIEW. They put up a reason why they don't come & people are just defending themselves over it rather than saying "someone genuinely is not coming for this reason" who cares if you think the reason is pathetic, stupid, unreasonable IT IS THE REASON THEY ARE NOT COMING, so figure out a way to fix it, FUCKING HELL.

The problem is staring you all in the fucking face.

Double & triple booking gigs almost every weekend is just stupid. It is obvious that the scene cannot sustain this. I don't want to hear excuses I want to hear ways of rectifying the problem.

I know it is going to happen but almost EVERY WEEKEND!!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
Just look @ this Friday for example.
Love or hate Dyscord they will pull numbers + the lineup of other bands + it's a cd launch. Any other metal gig on this night is gonna suffer & I will say pretty badly to.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
Another problem is the fact that people seem to think that wf is the be all and end all of the perth metal scene. It seems like a lot of bands have become so complacent that they figure a bunch of ads and "bumps" on this website are enough to pull people to a gig. It's certainly a valid avenue for promo but not nearly enough by itself.

Quarter page ads in x-press and drum media, shitloads of posters around town, harassing people at prior gigs with little A5 (or A6 whatever the little ones are) flyers, going on local radio, as well as advertising the shit out of it on here, perthbands, facebook and myspace and you've done a pretty good job at promoting. After all that, if the turnout sucks, there's pretty much fuck all you could have done to make it any better. At that point the only thing you can look at is the quality of the venue.

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
^

Yeah just be careful where you put posters. Perth City Council have started to fine venues who pass it on to the promoters, so even if the promoter themselves didnt put the poster up (say it was a band member) they could cop a fine.

Its fucked, considering places like Metro city have HUGE posters and HUGE budgets to cover any fines.

Plan your posterage  cafefully metallers  :headbang:

If you got 700 people at $12 a head into Amplifer bar (thats, err, $8400), who gives a shit if you pay $500 for "advertising expenses".

Biggest fine Ive ever heard of was $200, and the guys were forced to scrape the ads off... AFTER the gig. They sold out Black Bettys, so Im sure they were fine with the... fine...

Thats a fair call, it was more of a warning to bands 'starting out' that they might cop it though.
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Maybe not you but it helps for me. One reason I like Amps is city kebab.
Have a look how many punters are in city kebab, a lot more than once in a night & tell me food doesn't help.
It maybe shouldn't but it does.

I wasn't aware the late night lamb sandwich had actually made it into the classification of "food"...

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Maybe not City Kebab's weak excuse for a kebab, but some kebab places are not only food - they are meals!
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline goatlady

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • heaps bad
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »
Maybe not City Kebab's weak excuse for a kebab, but some kebab places are not only food - they are meals!

I suppose it's the easiest way to get your recommended daily intake of cockroach droppings and salmonella :)

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
by far the best kebabs I have had, have been from Greek restaurants in Sydney...unbelievable...what we got here is shit!  well unless someone can tell me where you get the toasted ones, pressed and in a foil jacket
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

I suppose it's the easiest way to get your recommended daily intake of cockroach droppings and salmonella :)

You're dead to me - City Kebabs is my mecca!

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
by far the best kebabs I have had, have been from Greek restaurants in Sydney...unbelievable...what we got here is shit!  well unless someone can tell me where you get the toasted ones, pressed and in a foil jacket

Sydney kebabs are awesome! They are cheaper and come with chips and a coke too!

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
..yeah that bit too!  Im heading over for one this year some time  :drool:

Offline BaileyHorizon

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »
..yeah that bit too!  Im heading over for one this year some time  :drool:

I had one in November and $7.50 got me a kebab, chips and a coke. I payed $14 odd for a kebab and a coke at the Kebab and Co, absolute rip off.

Anyway back onto the topic.... ;)

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
lol kebab co is the worst piece of shit ever, I never been to Sydney but kebabs in Manchester pwn pretty hard. If you want a shitty toasted and pressed one go to the Kebab Kitchen in Warnbro.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
shitty is not toasted...and I prefer to consider it heat-pressed  ;D

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »
Double & triple booking gigs almost every weekend is just stupid. It is obvious that the scene cannot sustain this. I don't want to hear excuses I want to hear ways of rectifying the problem.
Its in the hands of the bands.
Bands like Voyager, Chaos Divine etc have good turnouts yet they are not doing anything other bands aren't thinking of, but their implementation is second-to-none, and younger bands need to get a grasp of this. Bigger bands arent getting better opportunities, they are creating them through having a clue about how business and promotion works.

Bands need to do their research - and its starts at the very first level - the gig date.
If you book a date that coincides with a uni exam period, a Subi-eagles-dockers footy match or a major event on at the same time, you're cutting down your chances of a good turnout before you even start.

Gimmicks work too. If there are giveaways at the show, there's a fair bet it will raise more interest in the show.

If bands want to get followers and increase their fan size, they need to stop thinking so much about their music and what they want like, and start working in a way that also appeals to punters.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2010, 09:22:34 PM »
Its in the hands of the bands.
Bands like Voyager, Chaos Divine etc have good turnouts yet they are not doing anything other bands aren't thinking of, but their implementation is second-to-none, and younger bands need to get a grasp of this. Bigger bands arent getting better opportunities, they are creating them through having a clue about how business and promotion works.

Bands need to do their research - and its starts at the very first level - the gig date.
If you book a date that coincides with a uni exam period, a Subi-eagles-dockers footy match or a major event on at the same time, you're cutting down your chances of a good turnout before you even start.

Totally agree with you there Damo.
Booking Amps can be a hassle @ times & if you book now you might just get in by August  :laugh:
Leaves plenty of time for double booking, also plenty of time to promote the fuck outta your gig so other bands & promoters know about it & hopefully don't book a gig on the same night.
You just have to do the best you can with what you have.
A lot of bands keep doing the same things & expect a different result. If you keep doing what you have always done you will keep getting what you have always got.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:29:38 PM by cdtBEAST »

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
I've noticed when Elvis is behind the desk sound aint as good as when beard guy w/ hat does it. Beard guy w/ hat ftw.
ha ha i think 'elvis' is the guy we call 'Leroy' and 'beard guy with hat' is who we call 'kneazles' who has gone on a trip over east for a while and is well missed.

-Wednesday.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
LEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
at least i got chicken
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #374 on: February 20, 2010, 05:03:32 AM »
For the record I love playing at the Castle.