Author Topic: IHSAHN - "After" Available For Streaming!  (Read 2181 times)

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
IHSAHN - "After" Available For Streaming!
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »
"After", the new studio album from former EMPEROR vocalist/guitarist Ihsahn, is available for streaming in its entirety on Plugd. It can be accessed at this location.

Plugd is a promotional tool that allows artists to share their music in exchange for digital word of mouth (i.e., a Facebook status update and/or tweet). The first track is available to stream with no stipulations, but in order to hear more, fans must let the band know what they think of the song by writing a comment or giving the track a rating from 1-5. Comments and ratings will serve as Facebook and/or Twitter posts for all of their friends to see.

"After" was released on January 26 via Candlelight Records.

An e-card for the CD can be accessed at this location.

Recorded during the first half of 2009, "After" completes the musician?s planned trilogy of initial recordings. The CD showcases the Norwegian icon with drummer Asgeir Mickelson (SPIRAL ARCHITECT), bassist Lars K. Norberg (SPIRAL ARCHITECT), and saxophonist Jorgen Munkeby (SHINING).

"This is my first album written with eight-string guitars as basis which has been both challenging and inspiring," Ihsahn states about the creative process. "I also decided early on that I wanted to mix this album with Jens Bogren (OPETH, KATATONIA) and recorded the album with that in mind. Asgeir and Lars have again delivered superb performances. I've always wanted to implement the saxophone in my music; Jorgen's contributions truly added a silver lining to the album."

Recorded at Ihsahn's own Symphonique Studio, with additional work at Toproom Studio (co-engineered by Borge Finstad), "After" was meticulously laid out over an eight-month period. The intensity of the project has more than paid off with early listenings already proclaiming it to be the most poignant creations of his solo efforts. "I have felt more confident and more at ease with the material," relays Ihsahn. "In letting the songs themselves lead the way I just followed the natural impulses."

"After" track listing:

01. The Barren Lands
02. A Grave Inversed
03. After
04. Frozen Lakes On Mars
05. Undercurrent
06. Austere
07. Heavens Black Sea
08. On The Shores

* Thieved from Blabbermouth.net

Managed to download this a few weeks ago and look forward to it hitting shelves...stunning album, check it out!
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline Tasmaniak

• WF Major
  • Speaking with your fingers is strange.
    • View Profile
Re: IHSAHN - "After" Available For Streaming!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PremierMaelstrom

• WF Colonel
  • PROGRESS
    • View Profile
    • NeXuS - just fucking metal
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
Spiral architect was sooo fucking amazing.

Ihsahn does very well to have these great talents perform on his record.
It all catches up on you when you slow down ...

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
This is a great album, well worth the listen.
The sax work is fucking nuts.

Offline BlackDeath

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
The sax work is fucking nuts.

That's one of the things I enjoy most about it, probably tracks 2, 5 & 8 more noteabley...the mellow section(s) around the 3-4 minute mark during "On The Shores" sends an orgasmic quiver through my soul.

For those who like the sax, Jorgen Munkeby's "jazz-metal" band Shining (not the black metal band) are worth a look into...I'm yet to hear their latest album BlackJazz, but their previous effort Grindstone was pretty cool, reminded me a little of Five Star Prison Cell perhaps, although quirkier (flute, keyboard, etc) and not quite as heavy. 
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
Oh man, I hate sax. But I love the other 2 Ihsahn albums.  Maybe he can make it work
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »
That Plugd site is fu&*ing stupid.

They make you comment to unlock the next track, then when you do and go to the next song it comes back up as locked.

Offline BlackDeath

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:09:52 AM »
The part I was referring to was actually just before, about 1-3 minutes...in any case, epic song.

Oh man, I hate sax. But I love the other 2 Ihsahn albums.  Maybe he can make it work

I think it compliments the tracks very well...as does the fretless bass.  :drool:

I enjoyed Angl more so than The Adversary, and believe this tops his last album again...possibly even contender for the top 10 of 2010.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
I think it compliments the tracks very well...as does the fretless bass.  :drool:

I enjoyed Angl more so than The Adversary, and believe this tops his last album again...possibly even contender for the top 10 of 2010.

yup