Author Topic: Guitar Making Employment  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Guitar Making Employment
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
Looking for ONE assistant for PART time work in a busy guitar workshop. Hours of employment are negotiable. Leading up to full time after you have proven yourself.

Ok, blunt, but to the point....

Roles include:
General guitar tech duties (setups, electronics, etc), sanding, cleaning, general housekeeping, etc. Looking to the future, expect to be trained to assemble, then build parts from scratch. If you have previous musical instrument building experience, you will move up the ladder very quickly.

Experience/Pay:
No experience required (although experience is definately preferred), training will be provided. Award rates (negotiable). Bonuses for efficient/clean/fast work. Tools and machinery provided. Access to workshop for private building is ok. Initiative is rewarded. My last assistant who recently left us was earning near double the award wage. Experience counts. If you didnt do woodwork or a manual trade at school, or haven't had an interest in woodworking (eg: actually doing some woodwork, not just thinking about it), then its probably not worth applying. I really don't want to train someone who doesnt know the real basics already.

Hours:
No early starts (9:30ish, some days 10:30ish). No overtime or late nights, although some/all Saturdays would be nice. Days of work flexible, start and finish times flexible.
EVERY Monday off. No Sunday work. You might get invited to meet someone special afterhours though :P

Two minutes from the beach, one minute to local shopping centre, three minutes to Fremantle, WA. Local applications only please. I will NOT be taking applications from interstate unless you already have plans to move here, or have extensive experience in this field.

The Work:
Ultimately, you will be my direct assistant. You will eventually assist me in building guitars. Rough shaping necks. Sanding lacquer. Fret work. Gluing. etc etc. My right hand man! Also difficult repair work. Headstock breaks. Bracing issues. Refrets. Refinishes. It'll take time to get there though.
I already have a couple assistants, to handle the basic stuff like keeping the place clean, assembling pickups, etc. Ive already got a setup wizard, to make sure we get through all the setups and repair work, and he also does the majority of our hand winding of pickups.
You'll become another me. Hopefully. My dream is for my clients to come to me, and REQUEST a specific builder. You'll build that guitar from start to finish. Thats the dream. You want that too?
In the past, my assistants have travelled with me on business to the east coast or Aust, and to the USA to meet clients.

How to Apply:
Send an email covering letter AND a relevant resume to guitars at ormsbyguitars.com
Include contact details, etc. Include a SEPERATE list of previous experience, photos of instruments built, etc. Do not apply if you do not have any references. Do not send fuzzy out of focus photos. Last time I advertised, I had more than sixty applicants. Make yours stand out. Resumes etc must be in either WORD, or PDF format. Do not write your resume in an email... ATTACH IT to an email. Make an effort! I will look at your application for 30 seconds, before deciding if I think it warrants reading. MAKE IT COUNT.

Do not phone. Do not visit the workshop. Do not send a PM or SMS. Please, Im busy. I dont need distractions, I need help!!
Email ONLY!!

QUESTIONS??? Please ask them in this thread or email, please don't phone/walkin etc

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Offline jarrydn

• WF Colonel
  • THESE kind of skills?
    • View Profile
    • Arterial Hemorrhage
Re: Guitar Making Employment
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
I'll be emailing off my resume' tonight or tomorrow, however in vain that might seem!

Offline Genocide

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:26:18 AM »
are there any qualifications one can gain to recognise this fantastic craftsmanship as a trade, or an "apprenticeship" so to speak?

cheers
NO TIME FOR SELF PITY

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »
are there any qualifications one can gain to recognise this fantastic craftsmanship as a trade, or an "apprenticeship" so to speak?

cheers

Being able to put your name on the headstock isnt enough?

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:39:53 AM »
I think he meant outside of you where can he learn this trade?